4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Leslie Mackie offers a treasury of recipes from Seattle’s beloved Macrina Bakery. From breads to salads, pies to sandwiches you are sure to find a recipe in this attractive collection that will become a tradition at your house. Clearly written instructions and tips on everything from equipment, ingredients, and techniques will let you see for yourself why her breads and ot...more
Published September 5th 2006 by Sasquatch Books (first published September 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Leslie Mackie's Macrina Bakery & Cafe Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leslie Mackie's Macrina Bakery & Cafe Cookbook

darcy
Lavender-lemon scones -- that's the only pastry I ever made from this cookbook. I know that there are some seriously amazing recipes lingering on those pages. The problem is, unless I find myself with three unoccupied days in a row, I never have time to make them.

Recipes are written in small font, wordy paragraphs, and are at least three-tenths of a mile long. And yet, there are some serious omissions amongst all that text. You'd think in a two-page dough recipe, for example, the author would t...more
Karla
Based on the cover when I picked up this book I expected it to be full of high-effort baking recipes. What I found instead were a lot of recipes with slight ingredient tweaks and a chance to push the boundaries on "the ordinary" that gave them delicious charm. A real plus were the recipes that were "go along with" additions, for example "Egg Salad Sandwich on Greek Olive bread with Roasted Tomatoes" (which was divine!). None of the recipes were of the quick, throw-together category, but none wer...more
Samantha
One of my favorites. :) I love the blueberry pie recipe, and the bacon, leek, and gruyere quiche. :) The recipes can be a little expensive and/or time-consuming, but they are well worth it!
Jen
Got solely to recreate the rocket muffins that my husband and his coworkers are fans of. I don't find them particularly tasty - they just taste like baking soda to me - but they're a hit, and eaten with a lot of jam that I guess adds to the taste. Plus, they are also intended to be, erm, functional...

Hope to try another couple recipes before returning to the library this time.
Joyce
One of my all time favorite cookbooks. The recipes are delicious especially the cherry almond scones, challah & potato bread. It's a beautiful book filled with approachable recipes. This is one book I'd love to bake from cover to cover.
Emily
Katharine Houpt gave this to me--it's her favorite bakery in Seattle. The biscuits are the best I've ever had, and the croissants are delicious and easy. If you like tasty baked goods, this is the way to go.
Courtney Payne
The pages of this cookbook are sticky, stained, and stuck together---that is how much I use it. I have probably baked more out of this book than any other cookbook that I own.
Angelique
This is a beautiful book from a really lovely bakery/restaurant in Seattle. Some of the baked goods require a couple of days prep, though, but they're worth it.
Missy
One of my favorite bakeries and brunch spots in Seattle. Her cookbook is spot-on, too.
Agathafrye
Jun 26, 2009 Agathafrye rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: baked goods divas
Shelves: nonfiction, food, local
Macrina is the bomb. I particularly love most of the cookie recipes in this book.
Claire
Claire added it
Aug 31, 2014
Rose
Rose marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
shms
shms added it
Jun 16, 2014
Alice Bliss
Alice Bliss marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Hana
Hana added it
May 25, 2014
Angie Kritenbrink
Angie Kritenbrink marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
moshimoshineko
moshimoshineko marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
More from Macrina: New Favorites from Seattle's Popular Neighborhood Bakery Leslie Mackie's Macrina Bakery & Cafe Cookbook: Favorite Breads, Pastries, Sweets & Savories