And Justice There Is None (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #8)

And Justice There Is None (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #8)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  2,060 ratings  ·  111 reviews
Award-winning author Deborah Crombie has elevated the modern mystery novel to new heights of human drama and multilayered suspense with her critically acclaimed tales of intrigue featuring Scotland Yard Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Sergeant Gemma James. In their latest outing, Kincaid and his former partner--and soon-to-be roommate--follow a twisting trail o...more
Published August 27th 2002 by Bantam

Terri Lynn
LJ
First Sentence: He ran, as so many others ran, the black anorak protecting him from the mist, the reflective patches on his trainers gleaming as he passed under the street lamps.

There are big changes in the lives of Gemma James and Duncan Kincaid. They are expecting a child together, moving into a large new house, having Duncan’s son come live with them and her son, and Gemma has been promoted to Inspector.

Gemma’s first case, in her new position, is the murder of Dawn Arrowood, beautiful young...more
Bonnie
Another case for Gemma James and Duncan Kincaid involves the brutal murder of a wealthy woman in fashionable Nottinghill. Dawn Arowwood was found by her husband in the shrubbery of their expensive home with her throat slashed and a stab wound in the chest. Gemma has a lot on her plate being pregnant, working as an Inspector with the Nottingham police force and moving into a new home with her son Toby, Duncan and his son Kit and adopting a new dog. When it is discovered Dawn was six weeks pregnan...more
Gail
There is no doubt about it, Deborah Crombie is more than capable of writing a compelling and intricately told mystery that unfolds beautifully. I have found this to be so with each of her books that I have read except for her last book, A Finer End. And Justice There Is None,is one of the best so far. A story that is difficult to put down or look away from. This also focused more on Gemma James and I felt like I grasped a better understanding of what motivates her. But...My problem is with, I th...more
Matt Schiariti
Back on track! I admit that I was a little let down by A Finer End, feeling that the supernatural components of the novel just didn't fit well into the framework of a Kincaid/James novel. Picking up shortly after that, And Justice There is None exhibits a true return to form for Crombie and her wonderful copper duo, featuring a colorful cast of characters, great dialogue, a twisty plot and a years old back story that all serve as well thought out pieces in a great puzzle.

I've noticed yet another...more
Beth J
The characters develop, the relationships develop, and I find myself caring about them more and more. The mystery here is excellent.
Mary Ronan Drew
I was reading Nina Sankovitch’s Tolstoy and the Purple Chair the other day and came across the following reference to Deborah Crombie, whose novels I’ve been reading lately.

Anne-Marie had just introduced me to the writer Deborah Crombie and her sleuths, Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James. She reread the series while I worked my way through, virgin and loving it.

Crombie’s novels are like that, the kind of books so rich you want to re-read even on your deathbed.

In this murder mystery, set in London’...more
Writerlibrarian
Découvrir un nouvel auteur qui possède une longue liste de titres disponible (10 titres en anglais, 6 en français de disponibles) est toujours une joie.

Noël sanglant à Notthing Hill, est le dernier titre paru en français (#8 de la série) dans l’univers du superintendant Kincaid et la sergent Gemma James.

Accueillir un nouveau lecteur dans un univers où plusieurs titres sont en circulation n’est pas facile. Plusieurs auteurs après des années, tombent dans le piège d’assumer que les lecteurs connai...more
Kathleen Hagen
And Justice There is None, by Deborah Crombie, a-minus, Borrowed from Library of Congress, but available on audible.com.

adjusting to professional and personal changes - and a future now intricately entwined with Duncan Kincaid. But her new responsibilities are put to the test when she is placed in charge of a particularly brutal homicide: The lovely young wife of a wealthy antiques dealer has been found murdered on fashionable Notting Hill.
The main focus of Gemma's investigation is Karl Arrowoo...more
Carolyn Hill
Another good installment in the Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James series. Duncan and Gemma juggle solving murders and their own personal relationship, though Gemma has left professional partnership with Duncan at Scotland Yard to advance her career as a police inspector. Because of similarities to a previous murder and the threat of a serial killer, Duncan gets himself assigned to the case as well. First and foremost, this is Gemma's case and so the story focuses more on Gemma and her point of view...more
Shirley Strand
Complex and very moving novel by an exceptional author.
An excellent novel with Gemma James and Duncan Kincaid solving a series of murders in Portbello. Flases between past (1960s) and present day are expertly handled and adds to the story line.

Recommend.

And Justice There Is None
CLM
Perhaps my favorite so far but is it really acceptable to leave 12 year old Kit home alone with his 4 year old stepbrother (to be) all day in an unfamiliar house in London with a killer on the loose? Maybe for an hour or two but for several days in a row, including Christmas? Call Grandma James! Wouldn't his grandparents have wanted to see Toby over the holidays?
Nancy
Maybe I expect too much of Deborah Crombie so was a little disappointed when this book didn't seem to hit the mark as well as some of her earlier ones. I dithered between 3 and 4 stars.It really is a decent mystery but the book is filled with too many coincidences and has a bit of a soap opera feel to the plot so settled on 3 stars.
Leslie Jem
I really enjoyed this book. The pacing was excellent, and small sections presented in a different voice helped me stay interested throughout. I will definitely try other books in this series. My biggest fear right now is that I'll forget the details before we discuss this at book group!
Julie
Though I'm very much enjoying The Lyre of Orpheus (which I am also reading) I wanted a brief vacation and this was perfect. book 8 in the series and a pretty good one. (I thought seven was weaker so it was nice to see her return to form.) I think these are more character driven than plot driven. If you really focused on the mystery there would be things that might bother you, I think. It's a bit too pat in the end--the solution also relies on a mystery convention that essentially allows illogic...more
Rena George
I'm a fan of Deborah Crombie and have read most of the books in her Gemma James / Duncan Kincaid crime series, but somehow I missed this one. It was a treat to find.

Dawn Attwood, the pregnant, beautiful wife of wealthy London antiques dealer, Karl, is slain in the drive of their fashionable Notting Hill home. Suspicion falls on her husband, or could it be her lover, Alex Dunn, a porcelain dealer with a stall in nearby Portobello Market.
This author is great at setting a scene, making the reader f...more
Dokusha
Die Geschichte wird in zwei Strängen erzählt: einer spielt in der Vergangenheit und erzählt die Lebensgeschichte einer Frau, der andere spielt in der Gegenwart und berichtet von der Ermittlung in drei Mordfällen - ein etwas älterer und zwei jetzige. Mit der Zeit wird klar, wer die Frau aus der Vergangenheit ist, und ganz am Ende werden auch die anderen Beziehungen der Personen aufgedeckt.
Es ist nicht nur ein guter Polizeithriller, sondern die Personen werden gut dargestellt und entwickeln eine A...more
Peggy
This is a well told story. It continues the Duncan Kincaid / Gemma James series. Duncan is with Scotland Yard and Gemma was his sergeant until recently. Now she is an inspector with the police. They work together on this case as a new murder being investigated by Gemma bares resemblance to an older murder that Duncan remembers. The old murder and new one seem similar but at first there seems to be no other connection with the victims. The story is well thought out and kept me guessing. Well deve...more
Abbey
BOTTOM LINE: #8 DI Duncan Kincaid/DI Gemma James, London; cosy police procedural with dark edges. A remarkable bit of storytelling, compelling and moving, with layers of plot and characters that seem very real. Crombie always delivers a good story, and this is one of her best. The entire book packs a punch, not just the ending, although that’s a doozy. And over it all is a sort of sadness, a sense of waste of human life and “chances” taken or not. Powerful stuff. Highly recommended, but you’d be...more
Christina
Well, it was better than the last one (that should be a 3.5 star, but so much irritated me that I can't bring myself to give it 4). At least nobody channeled anybody, but at this point, I can't help thinking that the detectives really should be doing this.
Duncan: Hey, look, a murder!
Gemma: We'd better start looking at least 30 years in the past for the reason behind it.
Duncan: Make that 30-60 to be safe.
I also guessed the killer quickly and found a couple of outcomes predictable. For example, (v...more
JoAnne
This is the eighth installment of the Kincaid/James series. Duncan and Gemma no longer work together. It's about a week before Christmas, Gemma gets a murder case. A woman was killed in her driveway. No one saw anything. Duncan thinks it's similar to a case he had a couple of months prior. He gets permission to work with Gemma on this case. They get nowhere. Then the woman's husband is murdered in the same way. These three people have to be connected in some way. Duncan and Gemma and their teams...more
Rosemary
Another solid entry in the Gemma James/Duncan Kincaid detective series. This time the murders happen in Notting Hill and involve the area's antique dealers as well as immigrant families with a 50-year history in the neighborhood. Meanwhile, Gemma and Duncan finally move in together (on "Gemma's patch," as Duncan puts it, in Notting Hill), acquire another dog, and start nesting in preparation for the baby they're expecting.
This one was so heartbreaking! I enjoyed this mystery and loved seeing Gemma and Duncan moving ahead in their relationship, but that end was a tough one.

It was interesting to see how the pieces from the past would connect to the present and I thought it was done really well. I never really liked the jumps to the past in previous books, but this time it was a better story and more interesting to me. By the end of it, you really feel for all the characters involved, past and present.

My heart bre...more
Connie
This is definitely one of her best! I did not figure out the murderer until almost the very end. The flashbacks to the 1960's on Portabello Road were very well written and took me back to that time period.
Recommended! Can't wait to read the next one from the library.
Jmcrossfl
A really enjoyable book with a good ending. It was particularly interesting for me as I used to live in this area of London, and could relate to the pubs (The Sun in Splendour is one) and the streets.
Patricia
WOW...this book is TOTALLY worth reading! The murder was committed quickly and my attention was IMMEDIATELY captured...I loved reading about the relationships between the characters...how the relationships both unraveled and developed...Truthfully, you should read this series of mysteries in sequence...but, if you don't, you DON'T want to miss this one! This is Book #8 in the Duncan Kinkaid/Gemma James series. Each book is a continuation of the previous book, and, I have to tell you, I am lookin...more
Donna
It's such a pleasure to read a series that stays so strong. Duncan and Gemma's relationship takes another step forward as they work together to solve a a series of murders with ties to the past in the Notting Hill area of London.
Marti
This is the eighth book in a series featureing Duncan Kincaise and Gemma James. They aren't married, but she is expecting his child, so they decide to move to the Notting Hill area of London to live. The author lives in Texas, so I am sure that she has researched the setting quite thoroughly. There is the lately always appearing jumps back in time so that the reader is not sure who or what if happening. All the characters seem as intertwined as though they were crocheted togeher. Perhaps the vog...more
Pat Stearman
Just a comment while I'm still reading it - please, if you are an American writing about English characters, do not make them come out with American expressions. No-one in East Croydon would say 'mussing'. (It's so un-English it even comes up on here with a spell-check red underline). Otherwise, as a first go at one of her novels, it seems pretty good.
Now finished this and a later one and am enjoying the characters and sense of place. This one is set in Notting Hill. I have been in the area onc...more
Debbie
Another historic lesson about the history of England specifically Portobello, along with an ongoing murder investigation with James/Kincaid duo.
Gemma's character is a little too stilted for me in this novel.
I enjoyed reading about the antique shops and the extreme transistion of Notting Hill in the 1960's as a low rent district into a very wealthy neighborhood currently.
Only 6 more novels and I will have read the whole James/Kincaid series to to date - 15 novels.
  • No Trace (Brock & Kolla, #8)
  • A False Mirror (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #9)
  • Hard Row (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #13)
  • The Pure in Heart (Simon Serrailler, #2)
  • Help the Poor Struggler (Richard Jury, #7)
  • In the Presence of the Enemy (Inspector Lynley, #8)
  • I Shall Not Want (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #6)
Deborah Crombie is the author of 15 novels featuring Scotland Yard Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Detective Inspector Gemma James. The 16th Kincaid/James novel, To Dwell in Darkness, will be released by William Morrow in September, 2014.

Crombie lives in McKinney, Texas with her husband, two German Shepherd Dogs, and two cats. She travels to Britain frequently to research her books.
More about Deborah Crombie...
A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1) Necessary as Blood (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #13) Dreaming of the Bones (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #5) No Mark Upon Her (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #14) Where Memories Lie (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #12)