Start by marking “A Slice of Murder” as Want to Read:
A Slice of Murder

A Slice of Murder (Pizza Lovers #1)

3.59  ·  Rating Details ·  1,899 Ratings  ·  235 Reviews

Not too much happens in the sleepy little town of Timber Ridge, North Carolinawhich is fine with pizza-purveyor extraordinaire Eleanor Swift. The spunky owner of A Slice of Delight is trying to mend her broken heart and could use a little quiet time. But when a late night delivery customer turns up dead, she's in for just the opposite in this delicious mystery series debut

Hardcover, Large Print, 461 pages
Published December 1st 2009 by Thorndike Press (first published August 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Slice of Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Slice of Murder

Erin
May 13, 2016 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay mystery, but a little slow. Also, I had a hard time believing that in a small town, the chief of police would immediataely jump to the conclusion that the pizza delivery person who happens to be his ex girlfriend would be the killer. Forensics were nonexistent (time of death, anyone?) and the fact that so much info would be left in the murder victim's house really shows a seriously inadequate police department. This plotline was just totally unbelievable.
Amber
Eleanor Swift and her sister Madeline Spencer run and own the pizzeria A Slice of Delight in Timber Ridge North Carolina. When Eleanor discovers a dead body while delivering a pizza, everyone in the town thinks it is her. Can she find out who the real killer is and clear her name before she dies next? Read on and find out.

This is the first book of the Pizza Lover's Mysteries series and I enjoy reading them. Each book features recipes for pizza too. If you love Pizza and mysteries, then def check
Nancy
Jun 19, 2010 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off I always feel duped when a cozy writer writes multiple series with different names. I can understand when you change genre you might want to change an authors name, but when you write within the same classification, why not use one single name.

Well, that rant being said, Eleanor is trying to make ends meet by continuing to run a pizzeria, A Slice of Delight, which she and her recently deceased husband had started together.

Near closing one evening she is called to make a delivery to R
Chelsea
Jun 17, 2012 Chelsea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun little cozy mystery set in a pizza palor owned by Eleanor Swift, who finds a dead body while delivering a pizza. Eleanor sets off to prove her innocence with her sister, Maddy. This was a typical cozy. Nothing extrordinary sets it apart from other books in this genre.
Two little pet peeves, as soon as Eleanor put the newspapers in her car, I knew they would play a part in the story. It was kind of obvious, but the author still tried to surprise us with it. Duh.
Second, on the one hand the a
Dany
Mar 24, 2013 Dany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy
This was pretty much your typical first in a cozy mystery series with the female amateur sleuth. I almost always cringe at the first book in one of these types if series because they generally follow a very predictable pattern. The sleuth is accused of the crime and then has to solve the crime herself. For this one the "gimmick" is built around a pizza shop. The mystery was decent albeit obvious. The characters were ok, and I liked the addition of the sister as a co-sleuth. however my biggest is ...more
Kate
Jun 28, 2010 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, light mystery that was well plotted out and made me hungry for pizza! I liked the dialogue between the main character and her sister, and the main character's inner struggle about dating after the death of her beloved husband made her seem very real. I look forward to the next book in the series!
Sandra
Oct 05, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the better cozy mysteries I've read. The actual murderer is perhaps a bit obvious but there were enough red herrings to make it worthwhile reading to the end. And the heroine didn't commit any felonies in order to solve the mystery.
BJ Rose
3.5*, but I can no longer eat pizza that often (darn it!). Will likely continue the series...
Yvonne
Nov 30, 2014 Yvonne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eleanor Swift dedicates her life to her pizza restaurant, A Slice of Delight, situated in the small town of Timber Ridge in North Carolina. Her late husband dreamed of making a success of the place and Eleanor is determined to carry on for him. With the help of her sister, Maddy, Eleanor is fulfilling his dreams as well as her own. Then, during a late night pizza delivery run, everything takes a deadly turn. She finds her customer dead and she’s the number one suspect.

The police chief is an old
LORI CASWELL
Mar 10, 2016 LORI CASWELL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Dollycas’s Thoughts

I have read several books by this author, under his many pseudonyms, (Tim Myers, Casey Mayes, Melissa Glazer) so I knew would like this story.

Eleanor Swift and her husband owned A Slice of Delight. He has passed away and she and her sister now run the pizza joint with the help of a few part-timers. Eleanor takes a late pizza order and delivers it on her way home. But when she arrives at the address the door is ajar and her customer is dead on the floor. She does the right thin
Jenn
Dec 04, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Culinary Cozies thinks A SLICE OF MURDER is a “Yummy Read.” This first book in the Pizza Mystery series, by Chris Cavender, was a suspenseful delivery of pure mayhem.

Eleanor Swift, the owner of A Slice of Delight, gets quickly caught up in a murder investigation when she delivers one of her famous pizzas to a dead man. In no time flat, the small town of Timber Ridge, NC has named her the murderer. Leaving Eleanor (with the help of her sister Maddy) to solve the case and desperately try to clear
Heidi
Mar 21, 2015 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
I borrowed this book from my mother's Nook and have really enjoyed the first of the Pizza Lovers mystery series by Chris Cavender.

Eleanor Swift owns the local pizzeria of Timber Ridge, North Carolina. Her sister Maddy works with her after Eleanor's husband Joe was killed in a car accident. When her delivery boy calls off sick, Eleanor decides to do a run to deliver a pizza to Richard Olson but, when she arrives at his house, she sees him laying in his kitchen with a knife sticking out of his ch
Alicia
Jun 05, 2015 Alicia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so putting away books recently at work and I kept slowing down in the mystery section, reading over titles of series and having a strong desire to read some food/hobby type series. I'd read a few Maggie Sefton knitting mysteries and liked them okay. I thought there was some stereotypes, characters that all seemed very similar, and I didn't like how the ladies would make body comparisons or "fat" comments. On the other hand they were easy reads with a nice light mystery and there was someth ...more
Mary
Oct 01, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was good!

Dispute the fact that the book started out dull, even though the murder was the first thing we encountered, the book was very good.

Eleanor and Maddy are sisters. Eleanor Owns The Slice of Delite Pizzeria in a small town of Timber Ridge, North Carolina. She has been the sole owner since her beloved husband was killed in a car accident. Maddy helps Eleanor at the Slice as they call the pizzeria. Eleanor delivers a pizza to a friend in town because her delivery people have all called in
Kimberly
Mar 01, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosy-mystery
This was a great read. Chris Cavender weaves an action packed mystery. The characters are well rounded and drag you into their lives quickly. I love that this story is clean!! It is refreshing to find an author that doesn't think that that the shock factor of foul language and steamy sex scenes is the only way to s sell books. Thanks for a great story!
Brian Frauenknecht
Jul 05, 2016 Brian Frauenknecht rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The book was good, just not as good as I hoped it would be. I felt the story and the mystery could have been stronger. Plus the character interactions could have been much stronger than they were. I will read the second entry in the series and hope it is better. Good story, just could have been better.
Debbie
Nov 12, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and although it is based on a pizza shop owner, the pizza does not play a big roll in the plot. I really enjoy cozies and when I read Glazed Murder by the same author I craved donuts and coffee. I will be moving on to the next book in the series after the holidays. Now maybe I'll have some pizza...
Cindy
Mar 31, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This was the first book in the pizza lovers mystery series. I really enjoyed this cozy mystery. It was fast paced and the friendship between the two sisters was lots of fun to read. I look forward to reading more in this series and am glad that I happened to find it!

Oh, yes, you will be very hungry for pizza while reading this book! :)
Obsidian
Dec 14, 2016 Obsidian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Please note that I gave this 3.5 stars and rounded it up to 4 stars on Goodreads.

I have to say that I really do enjoy a good cozy mystery. I started reading these type of books when I was in college and even though they may not have been the most sophisticated mysteries out there, they have enough mystery and romantic elements that can appeal to a wider audience. I decided to read the first book in the "Pizza Lovers" mystery after my library recommended it to me. Fair warning though potential re
Jamie
Jul 04, 2016 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eleanor Swift is making one last delivery for the night, when she stumbles into a murder scene. But when the police decide she makes a good prime suspect, she and her sister Maddy decide to take this investigation into their own hands.

After a brief conversation with our chief of police, Maddy handed my cell phone back to me.
"What did he say?" I asked.
Maddy just shook her head. "He told me that he understood why I'd lie to protect you, but that it wasn't going to do anybody any good if I muddied
Bookworm1858
A Slice of Murder by Chris Cavender
Kensington Books, 2009
275 pages
Mystery; Food mysteries
First in Series
3.5/5 stars

Source: Library

Summary: Ellie almost didn't take the delivery call but as a small business owner, she takes the plunge. She comes to regret this as she finds the customer dead and is thus pegged as the prime suspect. With the assistance of her sister, Ellie is going to clear her name and continue producing the best pizza around.

Thoughts: I started reading this and then immediately w
Cheryl Landmark
Not the best cozy mystery I've ever read, but fairly enjoyable, nevertheless. And, it will leave you craving pizza! :)

The story started off with a bang with Eleanor delivering a pizza to a dead customer with a knife sticking out of his chest. And, what made it worse was that after doing her civic duty of informing the police of the murder, she was immediately accused of the crime herself. This is the point where I cringe when reading these types of mysteries. Why does every police chief or sheri
Mary Mack
Mar 23, 2015 Mary Mack rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books

Mystery type books are a quick escape and great beach reads. I enjoy cooking mysteries and books set in North Carolina and so I thought this one was perfect for a weekend beach trip.

Eleanor who owns the local pizzeria is delivering a pizza to Richard Olsen when she finds him in his kitchen with a knife in his chest. He husband, Joe, died two years ago and her sister Maddy, a 4 or 5 time divorcee is helping her run the pizzeria along with Greg a college student and Josh, the sheriff’s high schoo
Victoria
Nov 24, 2012 Victoria rated it liked it
I don't know what it is about these little food related fiction books; they are so good!In this one, widower, Eleanor Swift owns a pizzeria called A Slice of Delight, and runs it with her sister Maddy and a few more employees. Her delivery boy, teenager, Josh Hurley, whose father is the police chief, calls in sick one night so Eleanor ends up delivering a pizza to her former boyfriend, Richard. When she arrives, she finds Richard dead with a butcher knife in his chest! She calls the chief who ar ...more
Kim
Man this was a real letdown. For starters, Chris Cavender is a pen name of Tim Myers, who is also Jessica Beck and I loved the Sinister Sprinkles book that I read by him/her. So I entered this book with high hopes, and they were dashed.

The main love story was really shallow. You could feel him reaching for something deeper and not really hitting the mark. He wanted a hurt woman to slowly accept her freedom after the death of her husband, but he ended up with an icicle of a woman who shoots down
Jenn M
Jul 15, 2013 Jenn M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book because I think A Slice of Murder has everything that a cozy mystery should have...a normal ordinary person caught up in a crime through a series of extenuating circumstances, a murder with multiple suspects and no obvious motive (at first), details of the "real" life the main character normally leads (in this case, operating a pizza restaurant), and a small town setting where everyone knows a lot (everything) about everyone else.

While the author provided lots of details abou
Cathy Cramer
My husband liked this mystery better than the past several library books I'd gotten, and I have to agree. I liked that the main character had some depth as well as some silliness.

I don't know why mystery writers have their characters prone to withhold evidence from police so often, but this book is no exception. At least the main character does a little better than the average book-sleuth by contacting the police before setting off on some dangerous scheme. She gets kudos for that.

It seems hard
Daniel Thomas Daly
Whymsy Likes Books
It’s a Gamble

Okay, so admittedly the name of this book sounds like a title for a Psych episode and whenever I read it the voice in my head is Shawn Spencer drawing out the word murder. Which is probably 87% of the reason I read it, but of course I’ve read things for far less reasonable reasons and tend to take on the attitude of “what the hell”. That aside I want to preface my review with the idea that reading this book is a gamble. For the first hundred pages I planned on making it a two starre
Paula Ratcliffe
Cozy Mystery Corner : Pizza Lovers by Chris Cavender 10 53 Jan 29, 2016 05:29PM
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • A Peach of a Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #1)
  • Liver Let Die (A Clueless Cook Mystery, #1)
  • Death of a Kitchen Diva (Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Crullers (Donut Shop Mystery, #6)
  • Candy Apple Dead (A Candy Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Delicious and Suspicious (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #1)
  • A Sheetcake Named Desire (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #1)
  • I Scream, You Scream (A Mystery A La Mode, #1)
  • Cooking Up Murder (A Cooking Class Mystery, #1)
  • Cookie Dough or Die (Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Allergic to Death (A Gourmet De-Lite Mystery, #1)
  • Carbs & Cadavers (A Supper Club Mystery, #1)
  • Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1)
  • A Catered Murder (A Mystery with Recipes, #1)
  • Buzz Off (Queen Bee, #1)
  • Something's Cooking (Angie Amalfi, #1)
  • A Hoe Lot of Trouble (A Nina Quinn Mystery, #1)
Chris Cavender is the pseudonym used by Agatha Award nominated author Tim Myers.
More about Chris Cavender...

Pizza Lovers (7 books)
  • Pepperoni Pizza Can Be Murder (Pizza Lovers, #2)
  • A Pizza To Die For (Pizza Lovers, #3)
  • Rest In Pizza (Pizza Lovers, #4)
  • Killer Crust (Pizza Lovers, #5)
  • The Missing Dough (Pizza Lovers, #6)
  • Thin Crust Killers (The Pizza Mysteries, #7)