Start by marking “Why Faith Matters” as Want to Read:
Why Faith Matters

Why Faith Matters

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Why Faith Matters is an articulate defense of religion in America. It makes the case for faith and shows its relationship to history and science. Refuting the cold reason of atheists and the hatred of fanatics with a vision of religion informed by faith, love, and understanding, Rabbi David J. Wolpe follows in a literary tradition that stretches from Cardinal Newman to C. ...more
Published September 1st 2009 by HarperOne (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Why Faith Matters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Faith Matters

Walter
Rabbi David Wolpe has written an important (if a tad uneven) book. Why Faith Matters is full of piercingly compelling insights about faith, about religion and our pracitice of it and about the interplay of these two forces in our lives. Its tone is respectful and present in the sense that you perceive the author so open, so willing to dialogue that it is almost that he is listening to your questions and/or objections as he writes. (In fact, he takes on many of the most obvious objections to his ...more
David Abramowitz
Wolpe is an excellent apologist for faith, which I say without sarcasm. However, he is too quick to use "religion", "faith" and "spirituality" interchangeably, as other reviewers have noted. For the most part, he is intellectually honest and makes no outright claims to have God's ear. Yet, he sometimes white-washes the horrors of religion by paying them due with unstirring language. He talks about the friction caused by zealotry, rather than calling it sadistic and perverted. Then a few pages la ...more
Michael
A short, beautiful book about the power and promises of faith. I have previously read Rabbi Wolpe's book Teaching Your Children About God, and I very much liked his kind, gentle tone. In this book, the author takes on those who are called 'The New Atheists': Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens, and attempts to answer their most strident criticisms about religion and faith by shining a bright light on their most powerful arguments. Does religion cause violence? Is religion irrat ...more
Jarkko Laine
I first picked this book after watching a debate video of David Wolpe debating Christopher Hitchens (I think). Wolpe seemed like one of the most levelheaded proponents of religion I had heard talk and I wanted to know more about his ideas.

In that sense, the book matched my expectations: Wolpe's Jewish faith is a definitely a philosophy that leads to good in this world. But as the book claims to be a response to the critics of religion, one can expect more than beautiful stories and anecdotes. Un
Bobby d'Angelo
This is the best book I have yet read arguing in defense of faith. Rather than arguing with certainty about the truthfulness of scripture, Rabbi Wolpe explains that regardless of its truth, it helps people to lead better, more fulfilling lives, and is therefore necessary. A problem I have is that he describes fanaticism or extremist religion as a perversion of faith. But I don't understand what gives him the authority over any other Hebrew/Koranic scholar who comes up with a different interpreta ...more
Alicia Kachmar
Very thought-provoking. The author, who is a rabbi, looks at questions like: where does religion come from, does religion cause violence, does science disprove religion? Also takes on how suffering/disease can enrich life, free will, morality, and the failure of reason.

Lots of interesting quotes from Einstein, Dawkins, Stephen Jay Gould, Paul Tillich, Hitchens, Browning.

Erin
This is a very nice book that will make you feel good. (Unless you are an atheist, in which case it will annoy you.) It will not convince a skeptic but there are a lot of good anecdotes and analogies. I especially like the tapestry analogy. And I think the author's main thesis is correct, even if some of his arguments are not.
Yusra
I really liked the premise of this book and the simple, thoughtful way Rabbi Wolpe fleshed out his arguments. However, the choppy writing style made it hard to get through. I think it is important and necessary to have this discussion within our religious communities, especially with the way religion vs science is presented in academia.
Simcha Wood
My main gripe with this book is that it feels underwritten. Rabbi Wolpe covers a lot of ground in his argument for the continuing necessity of faith in the modern world. However, while the book is studded with little gems of insight, they are too often simply left behind without any substantial explication. The result is a book that, overall, feels a bit light intellectually.

I suspect, in part, this may simply have to do with the audience Wolpe has in mind. The book, while smart, seems to be wri
Martin
I read this book with what I consider its inverse companion: Christopher Hitchens' "God is not Great." I must say, it wasn't a fair fight. Hitchens, as he did in a real-life debate, absolutely smashes Wolpe's mousy little arguments to fine dust.

The writing itself is horribly, terribly amateur. If this was intentional, it was deplorable. MAKE me spring for a dictionary as a result of you selecting a perfect wording or phrasing to sell a point.

Speaking of points, no new ground is covered her, and
Gianne
I found this a simple but fascinating point of view. It is highly readable, even from the lens of someone without faith. He formerly was a turned-atheist and then return to Judaism and became a rabbi, and I enjoyed his thoughts and questions during those times. And that also helped him to see from an atheist standpoint, and speaks a little like such.

Wolpe has a very gentle way of approaching certain issues, although while he refers to the major monotheistic religions, one can feel that he has a
Cecile
Although I enjoyed the book for the most part, I did find his writing a bit troublesome to follow occasionally. But that might have just been me.

I am a spiritual person, but I find organized religion a bit much to take. I agreed with many of his comments, especially when he spoke of religion being used by some more as an extension of who they are than anything else.

When I do visit a church, the one I've chosen to attend is an exemplary version of spiritual community. I rarely stay after the ser
Ireneirenegoodman.com
This is a very "Jewish" book in that it raises as many questions as it answers, and it does not offer facile solutions to the most perplexing and prevalent problems. Which is exactly what I loved about it. If you want to discover the meaning of the universe or why bad things happen to good people, look elsewhere. But it you want to explore where these questions can lead you, you've come to the right place. That's about the best that anyone can do, and the author does an admirable job of presenti ...more
Sherie
Nov 22, 2008 Sherie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sherie by: tavis smiley
Tavis Smiley interviewed Rabbi Wolpe and I couldn't wait to read this book. It may not sway the atheists in the crowds, but that's only because they will probably not read it. For anyone who has had their faith tested and feels like they are hanging by a thread, this is a great book to read. It does not strive to "prove" anything, simply to put one's faith in a different light. Tangible things seem to be what the nay-sayers cling to in their disbelief. How good it is to read over and over that f ...more
Ken Roebuck
This is the most level headed discourse to date on the role of religion in America and the current debate with the new atheists. As a former atheist himself and now a practising Rabbi DJ Wolpe makes a personal and rational case for the importance of faith in God as expressed by Jews, Christians and Muslums in sustaining humanity and our modern society as well as in our personal spiritual lives. Ultimately why faith matters is because our relationships to others and to God matters to us deeply an ...more
Mike de la Flor
This book is touted as defense of religion in America. It is in fact a collection of old, long-refuted arguments for the existance of God (Fine tuning, Cosmological), poorly researched science (persistent misrepresentations of biology and cosmology), and tiresome Bible-thumping sprinkled with personal religious anecdotes. This book is not original in the least and clearly targets the uninitated theist.
Jan Pliler
This is one of the most profound and well presented discussions on the importance of faith in life and it's impact. A must read by all who want to expand their understanding of faith's purpose in a broader sense beyond that of maintaining context within your own religious culture. I probably could have highlighted nuggets of pure truth on each page. Fabulous!!!!
Nicole
Rabbi Wolpe won the debate when he brought us a heaping plate of food during the first reception. Oh please, David, you had me at "Can I get you some food..."

While I'm not sure he won the debate (can you ever?) and he sure as heck didn't change my mind on the subject (can you ever?) he was very very sweet man and pleasure to meet.
Miss Lasko-Gross
The writing was competent but I had hoped for something a little more sophisticated. To summarize the book (and it's "answer" to the titular question) Faith must matter because without it the world is a scary, random and cruel place, where unpunished evil and meaningless suffering occur.

Dave
It's difficult for me to rate/review this book. I wanted to like it, and I did like it very much in the early sections. However when Wolpe went so far as to claim that agnostics and atheists cannot have lives as fulfilling as theists or be (as) moral, he both disappointed and lost me.
Julia
Apr 22, 2010 Julia added it
Rabbi David Wolpe (Los Angeles) presents an excellent summary of current arguments against faith and refutes each one individually. An excellent and thoughtful breakdown of what faith is and why it matters to us today.
Elizabeth  Fuller
The flip side to Richard Dawkins' "The God Delusion," which I'm also reading and would give the same rating to. Both authors explain their own convictions well but probably won't change anyone else's mind.
Erica
A great book for Jewish adolescents (late teens) who are questioning why they should have faith in God, or believe that religion has caused all the problems in the world. Great for adults too!
Danny
Wolpe went from Judaism to Atheism and returned to Judaism and is considered one of the most influential rabbis of our time. a great read.
There83
I give it a 3 because It lacks emphasis on the personal relationship with Jesus where we get our daily conviction and revelation.
Debbie
Made me think about what I do or don't believe in. Rabbi Wolpe is a beautiful writer so reading this also gives pleasure.
Straton
A brilliant argument for belief. A shellacking to atheism. An amazing rationale to religious involvment.
Mdannemiller
A bit glib. Author seems to use faith & religion interchangeably, and I think they are quite different.
Larry
Feb 14, 2009 Larry is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The author is a very articulate Rabbi who expounds on his belief on the human need for same.
Kitty
The author is a rabbi who spars with the current spate of atheistic books. Thoughtfully written.
  • The God We Never Knew: Beyond Dogmatic Religion To A More Authenthic Contemporary Faith
  • The Hadj: An American's Pilgrimage to Mecca
  • The Misunderstood Jew: The Church and the Scandal of the Jewish Jesus
  • The Monastery of the Heart: An Invitation to a Meaningful Life
  • Why Catholics are Right
  • The Faith: What Christians Believe, Why They Believe It, and Why It Matters
  • Seeking Enlightenment... Hat by Hat: A Skeptic's Guide to Religion
  • Bread for the Journey: A Daybook of Wisdom and Faith
  • If God Is Love: Rediscovering Grace in an Ungracious World (Grace Series, #2)
  • Hard Call: Great Decisions and the Extraordinary People Who Made Them
  • Father Joe: The Man Who Saved My Soul
  • The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews, and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain
  • The Girl from Foreign: A Search for Shipwrecked Ancestors, Forgotten Histories, and a Sense of Home
  • A Christianity Worth Believing: Hope-filled, Open-armed, Alive-and-well Faith for the Left Out, Left Behind, and Let Down in us All
  • The World Turned Upside Down: The Global Battle over God, Truth, and Power
  • Between Heaven and Mirth: Why Joy, Humor, and Laughter Are at the Heart of the Spiritual Life
  • Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate: A Trip Through Death, Sex, Divorce, and Spiritual Celebrity in Search of the True Dharma
  • Joshua in a Troubled World: A Story for Our Time
Making Loss Matter Why Be Jewish? Healer of Shattered Hearts Teaching Your Children About God: Modern Jewish Approach, A In Speech and in Silence: The Jewish Quest for God