Start by marking “Mad Dogs and an Englishwoman Mad Dogs and an Englishwoman Mad Dogs and an Englishwoman” as Want to Read:

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  13 reviews
"Polly Evans had a mission: to learn everything possible about the howling, tail-wagging world of sled dogs. Fool's errand? Or the adventure of a lifetime? The intrepid world traveler was aboutto find out.
"In the dead of winter, Polly Evans ventured to Canada's far northwest, where temperatures plunge to minus forty and the sun rises for just a few hours each day. Butthou
Published January 27th 2009 by Delta (first published January 27th 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Dogs and an Englishwoman Mad Dogs and an Englishwoman Mad Dogs and an Englishwoman

Liz
I gave this a higher rating than it probably deserved as I was familiar with the area (Yukon)so it resonated with me.
Polly, the author, spends some months in the Yukon with sled dogs and their owners learning the ropes.
Christine
I found this book pretty disappointing. From the title to the cover picture, you expect a read with adventure and exploration, which doesn't really happen. The descriptions of the dogs were the best part of the book- they were cutesy and humorous. However, I found the rest of the book slightly boring and circular. "Polly's" descriptions jump back and forth between the present and history, and it happens so often as to be irritating and makes reading cumbersome.

It was okay, but my time could be b
Yade
I found this to be quite an enjoyable read. The experiences of an Englishwoman who visits the Yukon to learn about sled dogs and the culture around them are interspersed with snippets of history of the region and anecdotes about living in frigid climes. While the narrative isn't scintillating, I found the quiet more meditative prose to be comforting. Definitely something I'd pick up for reading again and having around as a good travelogue style book.
Michael Seeds
Sled dogs love to run, and nothing could be more beautiful than being alone in a frozen landscape, so dog sledding seems a perfect way to be alone with excited friends. Evans takes us to work feeding dogs and cleaning up after them, training them and, more importantly, training herself to run with a team. We learn about the daily grind of caring for dogs but also about the beauty of the winter landscape deep in snow.
Kelli
I really enjoyed this book. It was informative, interesting and I felt as though I was mushing along with the author. I liked the snippets of history regarding the Yukon region and that it wasn't heavy on facts etc
Carry
This read like something I could have written. It seemed like much of the history she inserted was just copied and pasted from Wikipedia. There wasn't a natural flow and it did not capture my interest at all.
Josie
Evans is always good for a cheery travelogue, with a heavy dose of trivial history thrown in. This was not my favorite of her adventures, but it was still a fun, light read.
Millie
I really enjoyed this book. It was fascinating to read about the winter season in the Yukon, and the work of sled-dogs. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes dogs or snow!
Lori
A boring book. Stylistically flat narration dulls the adventure of a British woman and a team of sled dogs in the Yukon.

Rachel (Sfogs)
A book that was just a lot of fun!
A down to earth look at dog sleding, adventure, and many beautiful and very mischiefs dogs ;D
Rubyryan
What a fun book! I was transported to the icy north and fell in love with the dogs, (which wasn't too difficult for me! : ) )
Mandy
I'll read more of her travel books. Nice, light, palate cleansing after Khaled Hosseini.
Barbara
New from Polly! Hooray! Just ordered it and looking forward to this new adventure...
Wendy
Wendy is currently reading it
Apr 30, 2015
Kelly
Kelly is currently reading it
Apr 28, 2015
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Bhavin Gamit
Bhavin Gamit marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Alanna
Alanna marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Jim Brohard
Jim Brohard marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
It's Not about the Tapas: A Spanish Adventure on Two Wheels Fried Eggs with Chopsticks: One Woman's Hilarious Adventure into a Country and a Culture Not Her Own Kiwis Might Fly On a Hoof and a Prayer: Exploring Argentina at a Gallop Yukon