Start by marking “The Paperboy” as Want to Read:
The Paperboy

The Paperboy

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  2,609 Ratings  ·  264 Reviews
A quiet mood piece that depicts the bond between a paperboy and his dog. Human and canine both struggle to rouse themselves, eat breakfast from bowls, and have an intimate knowledge of their route. Pilkey paints their shared experiences with a graceful economy of language.
Published September 1st 1999 by Scholastic Inc. (first published March 1st 1996)

L-Crystal Wlodek
This book about a boy and his dog delivering papers is recommended for children 4-8 years of age. It is a Caldecott Honor book. This story is simple, yet inspiring. It follows a boy and his dog as they deliver newspapers very early in the morning, when everybody else is sleeping and the sky is dark. Even though they are working, the dog and the boy are happy. The boy, riding, thinking in silence, tossing the morning paper, and watching the sun come up, and the dog, running, sniffing, and growlin ...more
Manybooks
In many ways Dav Pilkey's The Paperboy simply and evocatively presents an atmospheric, gentle account of a boy on his early morning paper route (accompanied only by his faithful canine, the boy slowly makes his way through a town still in the mists of sleep, still under night's cloak of darkness, silently, caressingly, and with understated pathos demonstrating, showing not only a job well-done, but the potential joys of being out and about in the pre-dawn quietude of a brand new day). Pilkey's t ...more
Ms. Yingling
This book (originally published in 1996) is the very simple story of the morning routine of a young boy who delivers the morning papers. The process is nicely delineated-- we see the truck deliver the piles of paper to the boy's house, the boy gets them ready for his bag, and the boy and his dog ride around their small town delivering them before anyone is awake. After their job is done, the two head home for some more sleep.

This is now a work of historical fiction-- the boy in the pictures loo
Patricia Stephens
Nov 06, 2014 Patricia Stephens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
The reason I rated this book so high is because of the pictures. The story was simple, a boy and his dog that deliver newspapers to all the houses early in the morning while everyone is asleep. They struggle to wake up, to get out of bed (because it is so warm in their beds, I know exactly how this feels), and eat their breakfast. It goes on to show the bond between the boy and his dog, and how they have mastered this job because they do not even have to think about the route. So, since the plot ...more
Josiah
Aug 02, 2015 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Surely I can't be the only one who sees similarities between this book and the works of Caldecott Medalist Ezra Jack Keats (The Snowy Day, 1963). Mr. Keats helped popularize the use of young African American characters through his picture books, and Dav Pilkey continues the tradition in The Paperboy, but that's not the main reason for comparing the two. It's the overall look and feel of the illustrations, as well as the simple narrative style, that invites comparison between the books of Ezra J ...more
Dolly
Nov 14, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a quiet, yet inspiring book about a boy who rises early each morning, with his pet dog, and delivers the morning newspaper.

The acrylics and india ink illustrations are soft and dark and comforting and the narrative is short and entertaining for children.

Better known for his "Captain Underpants" series, the author definitely took a different path with this book, with fine results. We enjoyed reading this book together.

October 2016 update: received a copy of this book for free and finall
Barbara
Lovely full color illustrations rendered in acrylics and India ink help tell the story of a paperboy's very early mornings. It isn't easy to rise and get his papers gathered together and head out on his paper route since it's always cool in the mornings. But he and his dog know their duties, and they somehow manage to get our there and deliver those papers every morning. The book captures perfectly how it feels to be the only person awake and watch the rest of the world coming to life before you ...more
MaryannP
Oct 06, 2015 MaryannP rated it really liked it
This is a realistic fiction picture book that won the Caldecott Honor Book Award. I recommend reading this picture books to 1st/2nd graders to work on the following reading strategies; Making Connections, Questioning the Text, and Character Traits.

This book follows a young boy who seems very independent and takes care of himself. He gets up early in the morning when it's still dark. He eats breakfast with his dog and gathers newspapers to deliver. He doesn't think when he puts the newspapers to
Alex Baugh
Every morning, while it is still dark and everyone else in his family is asleep, a young boy and his dog quietly get out of their warm bed, eat some breakfast, then head out to the garage to fold a bunch of newspapers, getting them ready for delivery. Then, the paperboy, with his dog, heads out on his bicycle to deliver the paper to all his customers. The two pals have done their paper route so often, they know it by heart. After delivering his last paper, boy and dog head back home and, yup, yo ...more
Sydney Funk
Nov 03, 2016 Sydney Funk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-summaries
• The paperboy wakes up before the rest of the town and enjoys his favorite time of the day, before the sky turns pink and orange, before the residents begin to stir in their beds. The boy and his dog go the motions of their peaceful morning on their paper route.
• Pre-k – 3
• I would use this in an English classroom or an art class.
• Individual students could recreate a picture from this book in their own style or use this art style to create a picture of their own. This activity could lend itse
Erin
Feb 05, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing
In this simple picture book, a boy wakes up before dawn to deliver papers. It is a Caldecott Honor book and the illustrations are amazing. The play of light and dark really set the quiet mood of the pre-dawn hour. This would make a fabulous read aloud or addition to the classroom library. It can be used for modeling or teaching various reading strategies such as connections and character traits.

After reading this book, I listened to the audio book from my library. I much preferred the book to th
Maria Wong
Oct 03, 2012 Maria Wong rated it really liked it
Award Winning Books Assignment:

The illustrations is really what makes this book great. There is no questioning to why this book won a Caldecott for its illustrations. This picture book has a simple story about a boy who delivers newspapers early in the morning and travels back home to go back to bed while the world wakes up. The pictures are detailed with cool colors that portray the crack of dawn and the sunrise. The artist's use of colors was beautiful. I liked how the artist was able to depic
Rina Lopez
Apr 25, 2016 Rina Lopez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pictures-books
The paperboy book is for children that attendant 1- 3 grade. The story is simple is about a boy who gets up in morning to do his job. His best friends that is the dog help him with the work. Dav Pilkey is not only the authors , but also he is the painter of the story. Dav show a perfect lines as he draw the dogs' tale horizontal and the paperboy bag empty is fight in the air. This gives the reading the opportunity to get into the story ,and imagine how the boy ride his bike in motion. The color ...more
SamZ
Nov 09, 2016 SamZ rated it it was ok
Shelves: caldecott
1997 Caldecott Honor - Favorite Illustration: When the boy is riding over the bridge and the dog is chasing a squirrel behind him.
The theme of this story is beautiful, and I love the way it shows the boy getting up and getting his job done on his own. I don't really understand why he looks like he is 5 or 6 years old, however. I would probably like the illustrations better if the boy seemed older, or if the family was doing this together.
Elisa Pereyra-Molina
Aug 29, 2016 Elisa Pereyra-Molina rated it it was amazing
The main character is a little boy and his dog. The story highlights the boys huge responsibility that he takes care of on his own with parental help. His dog is featured and give children an idea about how a dog might interpret its world. I enjoyed that this book is racial diverse.
Karen
Jul 15, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Ellie and Jacob rate 3 stars, Mom rate 4 stars. This book was very nostalgic for me. It brought back good memories of when my brother and sister had a paper route. I was too young but I would still get up with them and help fold the papers and put the rubber band around them.
Jenny
A sweet story of a responsible, young boy who gets up early every morning to deliver newspapers. I love the illustrations, particularly the illustration on the last page.
Samantha
Jan 28, 2012 Samantha rated it liked it
Recommended to Samantha by: Alexandria
A nice story with charming pictures. A huge change of pace for author Dav Pilkey. =)
Eboni Johnson
May 07, 2017 Eboni Johnson rated it really liked it
The Paperboy by Dav Pilkey is placed under the genre Children’s Literature as realistic fiction. It is intended for an audience ages four to eight years. This book received the Caldecott Medal – most distinguished American picture book for children, in the year 1997. The Paperboy is about a young boy and his dog who runs a paper route. I rated The Paperboy four stars because even though the illustrations were colorful and it maintained a steady tone and plot. This story seems as if it should tar ...more
Annie
Jun 12, 2017 Annie rated it it was ok
While there was nothing really wrong with this book, it seemed to me that it was a little too simple. Some books are better because of their simplicity, but in this case I believe that a plot twist or unexpected element of illustration would be beneficial. Nevertheless, The Paperboy is a good book, very simple and almost relaxing because of it's dark colors, but lacks something that would make it a great book.
Kim
Jan 19, 2017 Kim rated it it was amazing
The vivid, vibrant paintings pair gorgeously with the rush text. It's so nostalgic to read of a vanished child's occupation: the paperboy (could have been girl!) The final painting is my favourite. Implicit is the elation of soaring on a bicycle; flying through dreams is explicit and divine. I loved everything about this book.
Sarah Larison
Feb 07, 2017 Sarah Larison rated it it was amazing
This book has been suggested as a mentor text for writer's workshop but I never actually took the time to read it. I'm so glad I finally did. I see why it's regarded as a mentor text for writers- the few, careful, economical words used are magic at helping the reader zoom in on such a seemingly simple-or what kids might originally perceive as "boring"- event.
Sue
Jun 04, 2017 Sue rated it liked it
Caldecott honor book, the story of a boy who gets up before anyone in his home to deliver the morning newspaper. May have to use this in the future to explain what a paper route was and that people actually bought and read the newspaper to know what was happening in the world.
Tearese
May 09, 2017 Tearese rated it really liked it
We already own "God Bless the Gargoyles" by this author, so when we found this at the library, his artistic style was immediately recognizable. Enchanting illustrations of the dark morning in a quiet hamlet and how it slowly changes to morning as the paperboy makes his route. Love it.
Mary Norell Hedenstrom
Ages 4 - 8; Themes are responsibility, commitment with beautiful colorful illustrations
Joshua Krieger
Jun 11, 2017 Joshua Krieger rated it really liked it
Pilkey, D. (2016). The paperboy. New York: Orchard Books, an imprint of Scholastic.
Nathan
May 08, 2017 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminiscent of my youth.
Sarah Vatteroni
Focus the Topic
J.J.
Mar 14, 2017 J.J. rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Fun story about a paperboy greeting the morning. Really like the illustrations.
Nicole
Mar 07, 2017 Nicole added it
This book is about a little boy who is a paperboy and his dog who comes along with him to keep him company. He gets up really early before any of the world is up. Everything is quiet and no one is making a sound. On his route to deliver the newspapers he thinks of all sorts of things. He knows the route by heart, and so does his dog. When they're all finished they race back home. Everyone in his house is starting to wake up, while him and his dog go back to his warm bed.
  • Peppe the Lamplighter
  • Harlem
  • Wee Gillis
  • Gone Wild: An Endangered Animal Alphabet
  • Swamp Angel
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

More about Dav Pilkey...