Start by marking “By Force of Arms (Legion, #4)” as Want to Read:
By Force of Arms (Legion, #4)

By Force of Arms (Legion #4)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  429 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Having stopped a mutiny against Earth's government, General Bill Booly and his troops face an even greater challenge: a battle for the future of every living being in the universe, against a fanatical human and his killer technology."Dietz's expertise in matters of mayhem is second to none." --The Oregonian
Published June 1st 2000 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about By Force of Arms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Force of Arms

Fred Hughes
In this military science fiction series, of which this is book four, we have the legendary Legionnaires as our protagonists.

The Thraki have just entered confederacy space and have asked permission to settle on some planets in the area. Seems like a reasonable request.

Unfortunately, the Thraki don't really tell the confederacy why they have moved into their space.

They are being chased by a fleet of 5000 warships called the Sheen because of their ships shield configuration. The Sheen fleet is con
Marc Goldstein
William C. Dietz’s By Force of Arms revisits the universe of his popular Legionnaire series. The Confederacy, a precarious coalition of alien species, has just survived a mutiny and a plot to overthrow the confederate leadership thanks to the efforts of Colonel Bill Booly. But before the Confederacy can pause to rebuild, a new danger emerges. This time, the stakes are even higher, and the future of all life hangs in the balance.

Mysterious aliens called Thrakies have moved into Confederate terri
Brian
Thin and lame.

Let's be clear, when I'm reading military sci-fi, I'm not expecting Pulitzer material, or even Heinlein and Pournelle. Even with those expectations, this is still weak.

The few pages of military action are actually not bad, and if there'd been more of it, I would have got some of what I expected. Instead I got endless pages of poor attempts at political intrigue and a half hearted try at a love triangle Harlequin readers would giggle at. And no, mentioning null G sex in passing a co
Matthew
Meh. Only the second book I've read in this series and it took a while to get adjusted to it, since it's probably been since a year that I read the previous book. (By Blood Alone).

Too heavy on the political/backroom drama and too light on the space marine/fighting stuff. A bunch of confusing skips between different character POVs as well. Can't imagine myself reading more in this series unless my shelves are empty.
Bill
Direct sequel to By Blood Alone. Chaotic at first but finally achieves some clarity in the last third of the book.
Robert
I like the prospector that gets his ship sucked up into the Sheen's ship and how he comes upon another (will the skeleton remains) of another stoaway. And how thru the Sheen he trys to convert people. Haha funny ride.
Patrik
Looking forward to enjoy the next volume of this series ... the last two were Military SF @ its best.
Mike
Nov 09, 2007 Mike rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
Just can't finish this one, surprising because I really like his books. This one is just boring.
Papal Bull

Awful. Anticlimactic. Dietz had a problem tying the plot lines together.
Tasula
Enjoyable military SF- part of Legion of the Damned series- aliens, battles.
Tom
Great book, old school pre-cyberpunk SiFi. Very enjoyable.
Mark Baller
Great series I am moving to the next one now (-:
Michael Harley
I'm a sucker for military sci-fi!
Nick Guido
Nick Guido marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Hayley Elliott
Hayley Elliott marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Reelika Raimet
Reelika Raimet marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Mihai Marinescu
Mihai Marinescu is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2015
Lynneal
Lynneal marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Fernando Morales
Fernando Morales marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Jason Pennock
Jason Pennock marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
  • 23 Years on Fire (Cassandra Kresnov, #4)
  • Galactic Corps (Inheritance Trilogy, #2)
  • Technokill (Starfist, #5)
  • The Lotus Eaters
  • The Dog From Hell (Star Risk, #4)
  • Bolo Strike
  • Galactic Convoy
  • Overthrowing Heaven (Jon & Lobo, #3)
  • The Weapon
  • More Than Honor/On Basilisk Station
  • Undaunted (Kris Longknife, #7)
  • Stark's War (Stark's War, #1)
  • The Voyage
William Corey Dietz grew up in the Seattle area, spent time with the Navy and Marine Corps as a corpsman, graduated from the University of Washington and worked as a surgical technician, college instructor, and news writer. Later he worked for US West in a number of different marketing communications and public relations related positions, before leaving to accept a job as Director of Public Relat ...more
More about William C. Dietz...

Legion (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Andromeda's Fall (The Prequel Legion Series, #1)
  • Andromeda's Choice (The Prequel Legion Series, #2)
  • Andromeda's War (The Prequel Legion Series, #3)
  • Legion of the Damned (Legion, #1)
  • The Final Battle (Legion, #2)
  • By Blood Alone (Legion, #3)
  • For More Than Glory (Legion, #5)
  • For Those Who Fell (Legion, #6)
  • When All Seems Lost (Legion, #7)
  • When Duty Calls (Legion, #8)
Halo: The Flood Legion of the Damned (Legion, #1) Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1) Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4) The Final Battle (Legion, #2)