By Force of Arms (Legion, #4)

By Force of Arms (Legion #4)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Having stopped a mutiny against Earth's government, General Bill Booly and his troops face an even greater challenge: a battle for the future of every living being in the universe, against a fanatical human and his killer technology. "Dietz's expertise in matters of mayhem is second to none." --The Oregonian
Published June 1st 2000 by Ace

Marc Goldstein
William C. Dietz’s By Force of Arms revisits the universe of his popular Legionnaire series. The Confederacy, a precarious coalition of alien species, has just survived a mutiny and a plot to overthrow the confederate leadership thanks to the efforts of Colonel Bill Booly. But before the Confederacy can pause to rebuild, a new danger emerges. This time, the stakes are even higher, and the future of all life hangs in the balance.

Mysterious aliens called Thrakies have moved into Confederate terri...more
Brian
Thin and lame.

Let's be clear, when I'm reading military sci-fi, I'm not expecting Pulitzer material, or even Heinlein and Pournelle. Even with those expectations, this is still weak.

The few pages of military action are actually not bad, and if there'd been more of it, I would have got some of what I expected. Instead I got endless pages of poor attempts at political intrigue and a half hearted try at a love triangle Harlequin readers would giggle at. And no, mentioning null G sex in passing a co...more
Matthew
Meh. Only the second book I've read in this series and it took a while to get adjusted to it, since it's probably been since a year that I read the previous book. (By Blood Alone).

Too heavy on the political/backroom drama and too light on the space marine/fighting stuff. A bunch of confusing skips between different character POVs as well. Can't imagine myself reading more in this series unless my shelves are empty.
Bill
Direct sequel to By Blood Alone. Chaotic at first but finally achieves some clarity in the last third of the book.
Robert
I like the prospector that gets his ship sucked up into the Sheen's ship and how he comes upon another (will the skeleton remains) of another stoaway. And how thru the Sheen he trys to convert people. Haha funny ride.
Patrik
Looking forward to enjoy the next volume of this series ... the last two were Military SF @ its best.
Mike
Nov 09, 2007 Mike rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
Just can't finish this one, surprising because I really like his books. This one is just boring.
Papal Bull

Awful. Anticlimactic. Dietz had a problem tying the plot lines together.
Tasula
Enjoyable military SF- part of Legion of the Damned series- aliens, battles.
Michael Harley
I'm a sucker for military sci-fi!
Marcelo
Marcelo marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Brighthalo
Brighthalo marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Rick Ingersoll
Rick Ingersoll marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Connor
Connor marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Lee's House
Lee's House marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Smitty
Smitty added it
Mar 29, 2014
Owen
Owen added it
Mar 28, 2014
Angelica Penteado
Angelica Penteado marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Johnny LeBon
Johnny LeBon marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Kyria Joyner
Kyria Joyner marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
  • Galactic Corps (Inheritance Trilogy, #2)
  • Technokill (Starfist, #5)
  • 23 Years on Fire (Cassandra Kresnov, #4)
  • Extinction (Star Force, #2)
  • Stark's Command (Stark's War, #2)
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • The Last Legion (The Last Legion, #1)
  • Vorpal Blade (Looking Glass, #2)
  • The Weapon (Freehold Series)
  • Overthrowing Heaven
William C. Dietz grew up in the Seattle area, spent time with the Navy and Marine Corps as a corpsman, graduated from the University of Washington and worked as a surgical technician, college instructor, and news writer. Later he worked for US West in a number of different marketing communications and public relations related positions, before leaving to accept a job as Director of Public Relation...more
More about William C. Dietz...
Halo: The Flood Legion of the Damned (Legion, #1) Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1) Mass Effect: Deception (Mass Effect, #4) The Final Battle (Legion, #2)