Start by marking “The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration” as Want to Read:
The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration

The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome: Advice, Support, Insight, and Inspiration

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Asperger Syndrome has become an increasingly common disorder. One in 300 individuals may have AS--exhibiting characteristics such as average to high intelligence, obsessive behavior, intense special interests, and difficulty dealing with everyday social situations--and it is now more prevalent than childhood cancer and Down's syndrome.
As the mother of a boy diagnosed with
Published March 29th 2005 by Crown Publishers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oasis Guide to Asperger Syndrome

Sandee Clemons
I work with children on the spectrum and I have several friends that have aspergers. This book is wonderful, as it clears up many of the misunderstandings of what aspergers is and isn't. Due to the increase in the number of individuals diagnosed on the spectrum this book should be in every school library and provided to the patient (and his family) in every case where it is diagnosed.
Okay . . . I didn't really like it, but I'll tell you what this is:

Every parent with a child who is on the Autism Spectrum ought to have at least one big fat book with all the even slightly pertinent information--68% of which will probably never apply--just in case something comes up and the aren't sure what's going on. A reference book, if you will.

This is a good reference book. A really good one. The covered just about everything, and then they listed good resources if you needed more informat
Starr De graffenried
Borrowed it from the library and decided that I needed to own a copy. This is book is a great resource.
The authors are so intent on being accurate and thorough that they say too much - or too little. I wish they took each subject apart more systematically and refrained from inserting into every paragraph qualifiers like "some children don't have/need/show/do this as much as others".

I did get something out of the initial chapters that discussed assessment methods and intervention methods. Whether the later chapters will be useful to me I don't know, and I may never muster the courage to pick up t
Accalia Baronets
Not a good book for those with no knowledge of Asperger Syndrome at all.
I tried to read this to learn about my Asperger's and I couldn't even get passed the first page. The book is in medical gibberish and uses very hard vocabulary. Don't buy this book if you want to learn about Asperger's.
Kimberly Whitney
Reading some of the reviews I was surprised that this book was not given a higher rating. Yes; it is a chore to read it. Yes, it is a reference book. Yes; it us not a good book to snuggle up with at night. Really? if you're even picking up this book it's because you know someone, most likely someone you love who has AS. A wealth of information is provided in here. I highly recommend reading it, and also getting on the OASIS website.
Cassie ♥
I would highly recommend if nothing else you read the section entitled "Be a Detective". "Though three children's meltdowns may look the same, they may each have a different cause. One may be an anxiety disorder, another a sensory issue, another simple fatigue"
I found many nuggets of information in this book and would highly recommend it to parents, teachers, and therapists.
Apr 21, 2010 Briana marked it as to-read
“(Purchased) Barb and Patty's OASIS Guide is almost like a comprehensive cookbook for AS; I often compare it to Joy of Cooking. It is written by a pair of very dynamic women who have sons with differing presentations of AS. Barb somehow manages to reign in her inner snark and deliver an overview of therapies, interventions, school issues (in the U.S.), medication and more.”
Primarily aimed at parents who know nothing about the subject, but have young children who have been diagnosed. However, it has a lot of material, both in the first couple of chapters and the last three, that are applicable to a lot wider audience, as regards ways to recognize, avoid, and/or deal with problem situations.
Oct 25, 2009 Leslie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Newly diagnosed Asperger families
An ok book, for some one just finding out about Asperger's. Mostly anecdotal fluff, not so much scientific information. Good one to borrow from the library first, before buying.
Matthew Shoe
A fairly comprehensive read on AS. One of the few books on the subject that gives some focused advice on working with a child on the autism spectrum.
Nancy Millwood
Very thorough. A good one to keep on hand if you are dealing with ASD or have family or friend living with this condition.
This has helped me understand what my son is going through and explained many questions I've come across.
I refer to this book a lot due to current family circumstances. It is very helpful.
Hands-down the best, most real-to-life, well-written book I've read on asperger's.
Apr 20, 2010 Jenni rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: help
Read bits and pieces but really technical and other books were more helpful
Jennifer Hughes
Excellent, comprehensive resource for Asperger's Syndrome.
Debbie Whiting
Excellent information on Asperger's with concrete examples.
The first book I read on ASD and by far my favorite.
Very detailed, current perspective of autism/aspergers from parent's and teacher's perspective.
Kayla Daniels
Kayla Daniels marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Jenni Frencham
Jenni Frencham marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Letizia marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Janice marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
Nora Salazar
Nora Salazar marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
Willow marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
  • Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns
  • The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism, First Edition: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome
  • Pretending to Be Normal: Living with Asperger's Syndrome
  • Freaks, Geeks & Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
  • Developing Talents: Careers for Individuals with Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism
  • The New Social Story Book: Over 150 Social Stories that Teach Everyday Social Skills to Children with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome, and Their Peers
  • Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships
  • 1001 Great Ideas for Teaching and Raising Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders: A Lifesaver for Parents and Professionals Who Interact Children with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
  • All Cats Have Asperger's Syndrome
  • Elijah's Cup: A Family's Journey Into the Community and Culture of High-Functioning Autism and Asperger's Syndrome
  • Finding Ben: A Mother's Journey Through the Maze of Asperger's
  • Kids in the Syndrome Mix
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders: The Complete Guide to Understanding Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Pervasive Developmental Disorder, and Other ASDs
  • Atypical: Life with Asperger's in 20 1/3 Chapters
  • Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety: A Guide to Successful Stress Management
Helping Your Kids Cope with Divorce the Sandcastles Way Asperger Syndrome: The OASIS Guide, Revised Third Edition: Advice, Inspiration, Insight, and Hope, from Early Intervention to Adulthood The Parents' Guide to Teaching Kids with Asperger Syndrome and Similar ASDs Real-Life Skills for Independence The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia Of Rock & Roll Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll