Start by marking “Conspirator (Foreigner, #10)” as Want to Read:
Conspirator (Foreigner, #10)

Conspirator (Foreigner #10)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  915 ratings  ·  52 reviews
First in a brand-new Foreigner trilogy

Cajeiri is the young son of the powerful leader of the Western Association-and he has become a target for forces bent on destroying his father's rule. For Cajeiri is the first ateva to understand the humans living among them-an understanding that threatens his own race.
Published May 4th 2010 by DAW (first published April 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Conspirator, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conspirator

Emilie
All RIGHT!!! Cherryh's written another one!!! If you haven't read any of the books in CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series -- Shame on YOU! All 10 of them are great and this last one's just as good as the first.

If you're behind in reading these books, we're back on the planet and things have settled down, although Bren has been booted from his apartment and must find new lodgings. He decides to visit his estate on the coast and leaves the capital. And the fun begins! Cajeiri, the headstrong heir, is no...more
Larou
C. J. Cherryh’s Foreigner series is (with volume #14 about to be released as I’m writing this) one of the longer-running series in Science Fiction and might very well be the one with most detailed world-building, or, more precisely, with the most detailed exploration of an alien culture. As so often with Cherryh, it is at its heart a story about culture clash between different species, in this case between the humans (or a group of them that has been stranded on a far-off planet) and the atevi (...more
Elizabeth Wallace
The "Foreigner" series is the first one I've followed so faithfully in a long time, and yet sometimes in the months (or years) between books, I forget why I liked them so much.

And then I read "Conspirator" and I remembered very very clearly.

It's just beautifully written, very clean and interesting with a lot of dry humor. And Cherryh's depiction of the atevi, the main aliens of the story...I just love them so much. Here they are, these dark-skinned giants (they stand at least a couple feet talle...more
Lian Tanner
I'm following this series through book by book, and loving it. Sometimes it's hard to say why - it can go through long passages of internal angst and periods when pretty much nothing happens. I guess it's the characters. They are so very real and so brilliantly portrayed, they develop, they change, we learn more about them. Glad I came to the series when so much of it was already written.
Viridian5
I finished C.J. Cherryh's Conspirator in one sitting today. It was that absorbing. As she adds more novels to the long-running Foreigner series she continues to refine and elaborate on the alien atevi, their culture, and their tangled clan histories and alliances. The human factions thus far seem simpler by comparison. Politics can really be deadly here, which is why Bren Cameron's life as a human representative among the atevi continues to get ever more complicated and never stays quiet for lon...more
WillowBe
So glad that I waited til all three were out. Also happy that editing is much better and redundancy is somewhat lessened, though at 285 pp, I was kind of disappointed. So again, glad I didn't read it and then have to wait for another short book a year later.

A guilty pleasure is how much I enjoy when Bren fixes Barb with a cold glare and thinks to himself how much he hates her. I just love those scenes when they fight like cats and dogs. And he gets to take the cool headed high road after she pr...more
Beverly
While some parts were refreshing (I will always adore Cajeiri and Illisidi), it grows rather tiresome to run into the same situation repeatedly. It also grows tiresome when Bren repeats himself, returns to the same tracks, and the book lulls.

I enjoyed seeing conflict between Bren, Toby, and Barb. I enjoyed it less when it abruptly came to an end and we didn't see exactly what was going on with Barb and Bren. I want to know whether or not Barb really is using Toby, like Bren suggests, but we don'...more
Estara
Rena McGee
Conspirator is the tenth book of C.J. Cherryh’s Foreigner series. In this installment taking place shortly after the events of Deliverer Bren is given a notice of eviction from Lord Tatiseigi’s apartments (where he’d been staying as a guest because his own apartment has been taken over by a noble family claiming that they should have the apartment since they helped Tabini-aiji dispose of the usurper.) Not wanting to cause a hassle and break up the very tentative peace, Bren obtains permission to...more
Nathan Trachta
Ahhh, a new CJ Cherryh book; in this case the 10th in the Foreigner series. For most writers, the 10th in a series typically starts to run out of steam; and I have to admit that after Deliver I was hoping that Ms. Cherryh was putting the Foreigner series to bed. Having said that and read Conspirator I’m glad Ms. Cherryh chose to continue the series because she managed to find an area that needed coverage in the series and did so admirably. If you’re familiar with the series, feel free to skip to...more
Macha
3 and a half stars. important events for the series, and for the characters. Bren relearns how to make human connections, while the boy heir Cajeiri learns how to handle atevi associations. Bren and his brother reach an understanding, Bren's household is confronted by an shocking amount of raw human emotion, Tabini-aiji learns from afar how to help his son, the dowager great-grandmother Ilisidi rearranges the politics of the planet more or less casually on a drive-by, and Bren stops worryijng ab...more
Chuck Childers
Surprisingly having read 10 novels in the Foreigner series I haven't once needed to consider my rule that I must drop a series or an author when I can't tell whether I've read them before. Happiness. I supposed the Foreigner series in general and Conspirator in particular are best characterized as an ongoing Adventure of Manners, as opposed to a Comedy of the same (tho' there are common elements). And even by adding the 8-year-old Ateva Aiji-in-Waiting, Cajeiri, Cherryh did not provide the disas...more
Jen
Jul 06, 2011 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
Amazing. Truly amazing how her world and the story continues to evolve and keep the reader on the tips of their toes in political suspense. Even after ten novels, the story remains captivating.

If I have one complaint, it's that I've always felt that Toby and Barbara were a little too flat as characters, and I'm still unsure how I feel about them becoming a main thread in the plot of this arc. On the other hand, perhaps a large part of that is because the author writes so well from Bren's perspec...more
Kathleen
I really like these books and am excited to read each new installment in the story. I hope she never stops writing them.

This one continues Bren Cameron's adventures with the young gentleman, heir to the Western Association of atevi, and it is fun to go along with the human, Bren, as he tries to deal with other humans and with the atevi he has come to understand and care about in his role as go-between.

The young gentleman learns quickly, and it's also fun to watch him as he does so. Cherryh creat...more
CV Rick
Succession?

I have almost nothing more to say about these characters. It hurts . . . oh it hurts. Please put out my eyes. I suffer.

If you haven't started it, just don't. Save yourselves.
Eowyn
CJ Cherryh is one of my all-time favorite authors. I love this series, and decided to re-read this one before reading the newest in the series. As always, I love the characters, the world created, and the political intrigue. "Conspirator" is particularly fun for me because we finally get to go on vacation to the coast with Bren! (not much of a vacation though, after all!) The action starts sooner in this book, too. It's interesting to get a different point of view character (the precocious Cajei...more
Allison
Took forever to get started, but was a fantastic read!
Alicia
May 16, 2009 Alicia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good, complicated story
Recommended to Alicia by: myself
I am so glad C.J. Cherryh decided to add another book to the Foreigner series! I love Bren, the series's main character - he's complex, interesting, and exists in an even more complex and interesting world.

I cannot recommend this book - and all the others that come before it - enough. Never simple, the plots and characters in these books are fascinating, they're entertaining, they're wonderful. I've been contemplating re-reading this series for the pure entertainment value. Having read book 10,...more
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
More like a 2.5 probably. Bren is still not that interesting to me, but Cajeiri and Ilisidi are enjoyable characters.

The author uses some of the same idioms and turns of phrase she uses in the Cyteen novels. This is probably a lot of what has given me the "a writer was here" feeling when reading these books. I found myself comparing the characters and plotlines. Overall I prefer Cyteen.
Jeannen
Michael
This was going to receive 4 stars because it is another strong installment in the Foreigner series, but it lacks strength at the end and feels hurried. There is, as usual, a clear set up for the next book, but another editorial pass would have cleaned it up a bit more. Still, coming back to Bren and Illisidi and Jago and Banichi is like visiting old friends for a little adventure. One can generally count on action, drama and some tidily released tension, and this volume is no exception.
Rachel
Maybe I should have started with book one but there was just way too much explaining going on for me to stick with this one.
Mike Lovell
I have read all ten of books in this series and I still, very much, enjoy them. These books are all political intrigue and nuances, the main character is an ambassador of humanity on a alien planet. He excels in linguistics and its his job to broker technology to the aliens they now share the planet with. Words become the weapons in this novel, and although it is not the typical book I normally read, I'll be sure to pick up the next novel as soon as it comes out.
Susan
I am not generally a fan of unending series, even by one of my favorite authors. This one was impressive for its Tolkien-esque wealth of back story - one is very sure that Cherryh has become completely immersed in this world. But I didn't feel like it offered any new insights in the cross-species dynamics that have fueled previous books. So while it was a page-turner, in the end it doesn't leave me anxious to read the promised sequel.
Oliver
Excellent reading. I love the Foreigner books, they have so clever depictions of the alien mindset of the Atevi with their associations and man'chi. This book is situated more in the action genre than other parts before, but that is way better than some of the previous entries that relied more on the intricacies of intrigue and lots of pondering on the side of Bren Cameron...
Pauline
Ready for the next one...Cherryh writes "can't put 'em down" stories, and "where's the next one" series. Start with the first one about how Bren Cameron comes to be the only human in an Atevi society, and how he grows with the role he's given with them. Rich story telling. If you are listening to them as audiobooks then you'll love the way Daniel May reads them.
Liviu

Solid 10th book in the slow moving series; 6 excellent books followed by 2 weak ones, but back in form with book 9 led us here to a good one, but oh, so slow..

Bren and Jago, Toby and Barb, Cajeiri and the rest star in this one which lacks that much suspense and barely advances the plot, but it's great time to spend some time with old favorites.
Penny
These are always a fun, quick read. One gets sucked into the politics, drama and action pretty quickly. It's nice to see Cajeiri growing up a little bit and starting to think about what he does!.As ever, the study in the nuance of cultural differences is outstanding. I just wish I didn't have to wait so long for the next one.
Carol
Superb! All my favorite characters: Bren (the human). Ilisidi (the irascible great-grandmother), Cajeiri (her great-grandson). And of course, much political intrigue. The ending quite took my breath away.

Cherryh is looking for more members for her new blog
Ree Linker
This was a four star book but I loved it like a five star book. It felt more like a series of events and less like a cohesive story, but they were events that I was intensely interested in. I love these characters, and I dread the day when I catch up and read the latest book published in the series!
  • Hidden in Sight (Web Shifters, # 3)
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)
  • The Margarets
  • The Ruby Dice (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #12)
  • Wasteland of Flint
  • Endurance (Stardoc, #3)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)
  • Children No More
  • Flinx Transcendent (Pip & Flinx #14)
  • Storm from the Shadows (Honorverse: Talbot  #2)
Currently resident in Spokane, Washington, C.J. Cherryh has won four Hugos and is one of the best-selling and most critically acclaimed authors in the science fiction and fantasy field. She is the author of more than forty novels. Her hobbies include travel, photography, reef culture, Mariners baseball, and, a late passion, figure skating: she intends to compete in the adult USFSA track. She began...more
More about C.J. Cherryh...
Downbelow Station (Company Wars, #1) Cyteen (Cyteen #1-3) The Pride of Chanur (Compact Space, #1) Foreigner (Foreigner, #1) The Faded Sun Trilogy (The Faded Sun, #1-3)