Start by marking “Securing the City: Inside America's Best Counterterror Force--The NYPD” as Want to Read:
Securing the City: Inside America's Best Counterterror Force--The NYPD

Securing the City: Inside America's Best Counterterror Force--The NYPD

3.31 of 5 stars 3.31  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The NYPD is the best and most ambitious antiterror operation in the world. Its seat-of-the-pants intelligence is the gold standard for all others.

Christopher Dickey, who has reported on international terrorism for more than twenty-five years, takes readers into the secret command center of the New York City Police Department's counterterrorism division, then onto the str
Published February 3rd 2009 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 23rd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Securing the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Securing the City

Jeff
Wow, what an interesting read. I have been doing my best to add a number of books on topics that relate to my work to my bookshelf and this one didn't disappoint. I was able to add some generalized knowledge of counter-terrorism as well as came up with a couple of ideas on my own company's emergency exercise design strategies.

Counter-terrorism in the 21st century is a new frontier. The NYPD has taken its own path to forging said frontier, and "Securing the City" is a chronicle of this path. The
Kelly
I picked this up after I heard the author interviewed on NPR. The interview piqued my interest and I thought, wow a fast paced exciting non-fiction book, Awesome!

Then I see the back book jacket -- Kathy Reichs (whom I love!) had this to say, "A fascinating, and frightening, look into the world of antiterrorism. Securing the City kept me riveted."

I am here to tell you book jackets lie!

The book in the end was interesting enough - but I was not riveted by any means. The first half of the book took
Allan
A fascinating look at how the N.Y.P.D. transformed itself into one of the world's elite anti- terrorism forces post 9-11.
Donald
This is a good book that is kept from being a very good book by the author's blatant and unnecessary political jabs. It's a very good look at the steps the NYPD has taken since September 11, 2001, to keep the city safe from terrorism, but the author just can't keep himself from interjecting snarky comments about the Bush administration whenever he feels like it. But, then, what do you expect from a writer from Newsweek?
Ann
Very interesting. Another institutional view point to the fight against terrorism. The NYPDs approach of infiltration of potentially dangerous groups, even the nuts, seems good to me. The conflict between police methods of bringing in evidence for a court, versus intelligence collection and prevention of attacks is well laid out i this book.
Boston Book Bums
Dickey adeptly profiles NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly, as well as his leadership staff, as he goes about assembling a counter terrorist intelligence apparatus that rivals most national agencies, including that of our own.
Elise
This book would seem to be a dull nonfiction topic to get through. But actually it was really fascinating. I don't know too much about the topic, but the presentation seemed at least somewhat balanced.
Vince Carter
Interesting and readable study of NYPD's focused approach to more importantly preventing terror attacks rather than chasing perpatrators after the fact.
Mary Jordan Samuel
A fascinating look at the NYPD throughout the years and its relationship with the federal government.
Josie
Super interesting and I learned a ton, both about anti-terrorism, and about the NYPD.
Peter
Contains some interesting information, but is too informal and politicized.
Ronald
Those who love NYC and its police department will really love this book.
Lisa Kleiner
Lisa Kleiner marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Bobby
Bobby added it
Feb 16, 2015
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Andrew
Andrew added it
Feb 02, 2015
jaegrr
jaegrr marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Carmen
Carmen added it
Sep 30, 2014
Nicolas Scala
Nicolas Scala marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Meredith
Meredith marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Mitchell
Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Ground Truth: The Untold Story of America Under Attack on 9/11
  • My Paper Chase
  • Amateur Barbarians
  • The Weight of a Mustard Seed: An Iraqi General's Moral Journey During the Time of Saddam
  • The Lost Child: A Mother's Story
  • The Sky Below
  • The Last Empress: Madame Chiang Kai-shek and the Birth of Modern China
  • City Boy: My Life in New York in the 1960s and 70s
  • The Age of Entanglement: When Quantum Physics Was Reborn
Summer of Deliverance: A Memoir of Father and Son Expats: Travels in Arabia from Tripoli to Tehran The Sleeper With the Contras: A Reporter in the Wilds of Nicaragua (A Touchstone Book) Innocent Blood: A Novel