Winter Wood: Book 3 in the Touchstone Trilogy

Winter Wood: Book 3 in the Touchstone Trilogy (Touchstone Trilogy #3)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The third and final book in the enthralling Touchstone trilogy about the Various.

In the final book of Steve Augarde’s captivating trilogy, past and present are connected and the interwoven threads lead to an astonishing series of revelations.

Midge’s discovery of the hidden tribe is like a dream to her now, their existence all but forgotten—but then a voice calls out to he...more
Published May 12th 2009 by David Fickling Books (first published January 1st 2008)

NebraskaIcebergs
So far so good! The first two books in the Touchstone trilogy were fun and memorable to read. What about the third? Will it measure up to its forerunners or will it disappoint? So many trilogies these days seem to have one flop. To my relief and pleasure, Winter Wood also kept me reading far into the night. Moreover, it nicely answered questions raised in earlier books. Steve Augarde has written a satisfying end to an enthralling set.

For those unfamilar with the trilogy, in The Various, we met t...more
James Comey
Augarde has that rare ability to entwine the fantastical with the everyday. Old age, fleeting memories, long buried hurts, and the rediscovery of purpose add emotional texture to this final chapter of the Touchstone Trilogy. Tiny clues, scattered across the first two exceptional books, are gently pulled across time and space as Midge struggles to understand her mother, uncle, cousins, great great aunt, and finally, herself. And, once again, the tribes of The Various, surrounded by danger and hun...more
Lindi
What's with the creepy cover? What was wrong with Steve Augarde's lovely silhouettes?

I am enjoying the book, but I'm embarrassed to been seen in public with it. May have to make a jacket!

Later -- a very satisfying conclusion to a wonderful trilogy about little people, something I'm a total sucker for, ever since The Borrowers. I still hate the new covers.
Brucie
In its own way this series is as good as the Ring trilogy. I plan to read it over and over. One thing I love about it is that I still have questions that I can think about and try to answer, even though I've finished the series and know that no more answers are going to be given. One of the best fantasies I've ever read.
A.
Es ist nun bereits einige Zeit her, dass Midge in dem verwilderten Wald auf dem Hügel das kleine Volk getroffen hat. Manchmal hat sie das Gefühl, die Erinnerung daran, wie real alles war, zu verlieren, doch das soll sich legen, als es eines Abends an ihr Fenster klopft. Pegs, das kleine, geflügelte Pferd, ist wieder da und will mit ihr reden. Deswegen trifft sie sich mit ihm in der Scheune, in der sie ihn das erste Mal gesehen hat.

Was Pegs zu erzählen hat, klingt bedrohlich. Das kleine Volk ist...more
jennifer
Well, I finally finished this series. Book 3 was much like Book 1, which was not a good thing. If I could pick one word to describe it, besides disappointing, it would be tedious. It really could have been such a good series. It had such an interesting storyline, but it got lost in overly emphasizing it's descriptions of landscape, backdrop, and irrelevant detail, leaving the reading of it to feel tedious and bogged down. I longed to get to the real story, but it never took me back there. Just p...more
Rosie
I have to say that when I first picked up 'The Various' around age ten, I found the book rather tedious despite my love of the subject matter - fairies, or 'the little people'. I, however, persisted, and made my way through 'Celandine', the prequel to 'The Various' and 'Winetr Wood'. I enjoyed 'Celandine' much more than 'The Various' yet failed to pick up a copy of 'Winter Wood' until sometime earlier this year. Having reread the first two books in the trilogy, I can now appreciate the near-flaw...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Joan Stradling for TeensReadToo.com

In book three of THE TOUCHSTONE TRILOGY, hard times have come upon the Various. Their lives hang in the balance as they try to find a way to survive in the human world. They decide their time here is through and they must return to Elysse.

The only way to go home is to unite the Touchstone and the Orbis. But the Orbis isn't among the Various. Years ago, it was given to Celandine for safe keeping.

Now Midge and Celandine's stories come together as Midg...more
Eva Mitnick
After The Various and Celandine comes the final book in the Touchstone Trilogy. This installment focuses again on Midge, the young girl who in the first book became involved in a dangerous attempt to save the Various – a loosely united group of several tribes of very small human-like creatures living in the local woods – from destruction. Another returning character is Celandine, who had her own amazing experiences with The Various back in 1915 in Celandine; in Winter Wood, she is now extremely...more
Erica
Glad I read the whole series, although the ending was a bit vague, I loved the conclusion, and how the author answered all the questions that had been laid out. Very good trilogy.
Amy
I still haven't read the first one. I didn't want to wait, and the second was perfectly comprehensible without having read the first, so I took my chances. It was a great story. I really like his world that he's created, and the drama and suspense that go along with it. I wish we knew a little bit more about where they were go, how they got there, etc., and especially what's going to happen to Henty and Little Marten. I'm so worried about those two... and I'd love to know if they do end up havin...more
Hilary
The final part of the trilogy that began with 'The Various', this weaves together Midge and Celandine's worlds, brings the Various, now suffering through a bitter winter that strains their limited resources to the breaking point, back into both their lives, and gives resolution to the Various's time in our world. A refreshingly different fantasy, brought to a satisfactory, though poignant, conclusion.
Carly
Absolutely loved this series and am so sad to see it over. The epilogue was particularly intriguing and I feel lends itself to a possible sequel, but I don't dare to get my hopes up for that.

I highly recommend this series for anyone who still entertains the idea that there are creatures out there we have yet to discover and they just may be smaller versions of ourselves.
Jenny
Took me a few pages to get into, as it has been so long since I read the first two (The Various and Celandine), but it was wonderful - sustains the same magic as the previous books, and brings it all to a satisfying conclusion.

"I was upon this earth before, though never in this place." (p. 53)
Flower
Great trilogy. Kind ending. Resolution. Good story. Enjoyable reading. Not disappointed buy the conclusion of this series. However I found a few that didn't match up from book to book. A few surprises and that was nice. Good story, easy and safe.
Jade
This serious is really lovely. Although written for children it has a darker side which grown ups(!) would enjoy.
Lisa
Nicely written, though I found that this sort of petered out toward the end. Had to complete though!
Grace
Oct 30, 2011 Grace rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all tweens who like fantasy
This book is one of my favorites! I think all tweens should read this book! I could not put it down!
Trish
Great story by Steve Augarde. Enjoyed the three stories in the series.
Joseph Levesque
Wonderfully crafted conclusion to a beautiful and memorable trilogy!
Brett
A VERY satisfying conclusion to a well-written trilogy!
Cora Nicole
Great story, loved the imagination put into it :)
Purlewe
a fine ending to a YA trilogy.
Geena
eh they went down hill
Molly
Molly is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Courtney Cashon
Courtney Cashon marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Zia Nixon
Zia Nixon marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
  • Flood and Fire (Raiders' Ransom, #2)
  • The Sterkarm Handshake (Sterkarm, #1)
  • Liberator (Dragons of Starlight, #4)
  • Scrivener's Moon (Fever Crumb, #3)
  • The Rainbow Fairies: #1-7
  • Northward to the Moon (My One Hundred Adventures #2)
  • The Monument
  • Dungeon of Dread (Endless Quest, #1)
  • Into the Woods
  • The Hotel Under the Sand
  • The Magic Mirror of the Mermaid Queen (Changeling, #2)
  • Darkest Light (Half World, #2)
  • The Prince of Fenway Park
  • The Legend Begins (Little Fur, #1)
  • The Water Seeker
  • Mortlock
  • The Eternity Code: The Graphic Novel (Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Olympos (Omnibus)
12030
I began writing children's books when I was at art college, which means that I’ve spent over thirty years as a children's author. Must be nearly time to grow up. About eighty titles published to date, I think. These include story books and pop-ups for younger readers, as well as my more recent novels for older children. I'm also an illustrator and paper-engineer, and you can see examples of this t...more
More about Steve Augarde...
The Various (Touchstone Trilogy, #1) Celandine (Touchstone Trilogy, #2) X Isle Leonardo Da Vinci When I Grow Up