Start by marking “Snowballs” as Want to Read:
Snowballs

Snowballs

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,423 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
Pull on your mittens and head outside for a snowball day. Grab some snow and start rolling. With a few found objects--like buttons and fabric and seeds--and a little imagination, you can create a whole family out of snow. Children will love poring over Lois Ehlert’s bold, funny illustrations and identifying the common (and not so common) objects she uses to decorate her sn ...more
Published August 30th 1999 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published November 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Snowballs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snowballs

Kathryn
I'm afraid Ehlert's books just never really wow me. I love the cover on this and really appreciate her creativity in building the snowpeople/animals in this book, but there really isn't much of a story going and it just feels a little bland and disjointed at times. There is some factual information about snow, but if you are interested in that sort of thing I would highly recommend is The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder.
Vivian
Jan 08, 2015 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
We finished up our "OLAF GROWS" -- SNOWMAN story time with this book and I think it might have been the kids' favorite.

A family collects stuff to decorate a snow family -- Dad, Mom, Brother, Sister, Baby, Cat, and Dog -- and waits for a big snow storm. The birds and squirrels are waiting too, because the family puts plenty of edibles on their snow creations.

The kids enjoyed identifying the decorations. I would ask, "What is the nose made from?" I would also ask, "Can the birds or squirrels eat t
Tiffany
I admit there is no real plot to grasp the children's attention and simply reading it straight through would have probably bored them to death, but I don't believe that was the purpose of the book or how it was meant to be read.

I read this twice this week to a mixed group of kids (ages ranging from infants to about 9 or 10 years old) along with Frosty the Snowman. Each time they appeared to really enjoy the book. We took the time to look at the details of each snow-creature, naming the objects t
Laurie
Feb 16, 2015 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Alexandria Hiam
This is a really sweet book about snow. The narrator and his/her family build a family of snow people all dressed from head to toe with lots of fun everyday items like bottle caps, crayons, forks, pencils, twigs, hats and socks, etc. When the sun comes out the snowmen melt and become smaller mounds of snow or puddles. Students will learn this property of water to become snow and then melting into liquid water again as a puddle. The last pages contain a layout of all the items used to make the sn ...more
A
Mar 14, 2016 A rated it liked it
Jaimee Huskins
Dec 04, 2014 Jaimee Huskins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun and cute book that is just perfect for winter. In this story it goes on and tells a story of making a snowman family. The pages in this book start out horizontal but as the snowman is being built the book turns to vertical. The pictures are very cool she doesn't only use the scraps of paper but other simple items. Very cool! At the end of the book she talks about what snow actually is. She also has all the items that she used to creates the snowman and encourages young children to ...more
Stephen
Feb 04, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Includes scientific information about snow and a recipe for popcorn balls, as well as creative ideas for feeding birds.
Angie
Jan 04, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Synopsis: "Pull on your mittens and head outside for a snowball day. Grab some snow and start rolling. With a few found objects--like buttons and fabric and seeds--and a little imagination, you can create a whole family out of snow. Children will love poring over Lois Ehlert’s bold, funny illustrations and identifying the common (and not so common) objects she uses to decorate her snowy family."

My Review: I guess I was expecting this book to be about snowballs and not snowmen, while that caught
Bmack
Love this book for winter storytimes. We don't know who is talking in the story but they have saved lots of items in a paper sack for when it snows and they can make snow people. Each page is opened and turned on it side so you see a large snow person on each page from snow mom to snow dog. It is very creative and will help children get excited about how they might make their own snow person. You could easily do a craft with this providing circles and a variety of materials and let them create!
Michelle
Nov 27, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snowballs is a veritable celebration of winter in Ehlert’s signature mixed media style. Infused with a sense of whimsy and fun, this book invites readers to participate in the creation of a unique “snow family” using all the “best stuff” for making snowmen. In anticipation of the perfect snowball day, the author has saved up sunflower seeds, popcorn, bits of wool, corn kernels, various nuts and seeds, birdseed and scarves, braided yarn, hats and other interesting things like shoestrings, seashel ...more
Kristen
Feb 10, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it
Love this book - used this for a Kindergarten Book Club and had every student in my building read this. We used it for a few lessons on sentences, punctuation, media literacy, technology, and then had a culminating party! If you want to have your own book club regarding this book, check out ideas here:

Kristy
Dec 10, 2014 Kristy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime-books
Snowballs is a story about building snowmen with unusual items. Per her usual style, Ehlert uses a collage of different materials for her artwork, ranging from paper and cloth to strawberries and dried corn. Visually, this book is really neat. The words could have been more interesting though.

Okay for preschool storytime.
Karen
Oct 29, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Snowballs by Lois Ehlert, is a whimsical story that takes the reader through making a “snow family”. It starts with a question, “Do you think birds know when it is going to snow?” Ehlert uses collage as an illustration technique. In Snowballs, Ehlert uses a wide variety of objects to create her collage snow family. Real hats, mittens, and scarves; neckties, buttons and bows; sticks, leaves, popcorn, and much, much more, adorn the pages of the book. Even with all of the materials the auhor/illust ...more
Russell
Jan 19, 2015 Russell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'd call the narrative shallow, but it appears to have completely melted away like the snowman family. Some cute folksy art isn't enough to save this book. I'd need coffee beans for eyes too, if I had to sit through another reading.

The popcorn ball recipe at the end fails to impress, either.
Dominique St-pierre
This is a fun book to read, and my students liked it, but I wasn't wild about it. The kids did love the images and talking about what might happen when the snow melted. What was pretty cool is that after reading it, we (Kindergarten) all created our own collages and made up our own stories.
Alex Wulfekuhle
Apr 11, 2016 Alex Wulfekuhle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book is so much fun and easy! Do birds know when its going to snow? It talks about how they know when its going to know, because they move their seeds and fly south! Also it shows how to make snowmen! One made a snowdad, one made a snow mom... ETC! Once they made their snowmen they talked about how its melting and melting from the sun! What is snow? What makes it snow? This is a great weather lesson for students!
Samantha
Feb 09, 2016 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Snowballs was a well detailed book when it came down to the illustrations. With a few details on how the snow melted in the end as well. Other than the illustrations it was a pretty good book. Would be great to ready to young children, but wouldn't be able to use it in the classroom.
Susie
Jan 23, 2016 Susie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used this for story time; the students loved it. It's a book for them to look at individually as well so they can figure out how the snow people are made. A good followup would be for them to create their own.
Mary
Nov 25, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this one - a good book to introduce making snowmen (or in the style of Lois Ehlert, a good how to use bits and pieces of leftovers or discovered materials to make something new!) Fun for Kindergarten.
Kristina
Oct 13, 2015 Kristina rated it it was ok
I'm sorry I just didn't like this book. or I should say my daughter and I didn't like it. there isn't a plot or anything. cute pictures but that's about it. sorry but I wouldn't recommend it.
Becca
My storytime kids liked this one, too - short and to the point, they liked seeing what items were used to make the different snowmen. This was a good transition into "building" a snowman on the flannelboard, too.
Hope L. Justice
I think this one gets a lot of good coattail reviews, because it is an Ehlert book. She does amazing folk imagery, but sometimes, her story lines and poeticism simply fall flat.
Ataylo18
The book was okay. I thought it is a good book to have kids use their imagination. Also there are very pretty illustrations for kids of all ages to enjoy! I just did not enjoy the story like as much as I do a lot of children's books!
Paula
Some children create a family out of snow. Includes labeled pictures of all the items they use, as well as information about how snow is formed.
Angela
You really have to add a little discussion to this book. What's his nose? Where'd the squirrel get that peanut? etc.
Kelli
Jun 13, 2014 Kelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Fun to look at. There was a little bit of an I Spy vibe with this book. Visually appealing.
Theresa
Jan 02, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, pre-k-k
Children make a snow family with very creative items. Very few words. Great for K.
Dolly
Jan 08, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: christmas, pets, 2012
Gorgeous mixed-media illustrations highlight this story about snowmen (women, children, pets too) The narrative is short and simple and the illustrations are colorful and huge (you need to turn the book on its side to see the images.) The layout of the book might make this a bit awkward to read aloud to a group, but it's really fun to look at it with just a few children so they can have fun pointing out all of the objects used to make the snowball creatures. We enjoyed reading this book together ...more
Annalise
Average book, no real story, just building a snowman family that melts.
  • All You Need for a Snowman
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Snow Rabbit, Spring Rabbit: A Book of Changing Seasons
  • Over and Under the Snow

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »