Start by marking “Subtraction Action” as Want to Read:
Subtraction Action

Subtraction Action

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Introduces subtraction through the activities of animal students.

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 9/1/2002 Pages: 32 Reading Level: Age 4 and Up
Published September 1st 2002 by Holiday House (first published September 28th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Subtraction Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Subtraction Action

Nathan Lewis
This book is great! It's really cool how it's basically just math lessons in a story format. As children are reading the story, there are plenty of illustrations and words to go along with the stories for the students to read. It's basically like they're teaching themselves as they read the story!
Lauren Blount
Subtraction Action would be a fun book to read with you small children or young class to help them understand subtraction. It presents a new scenario on each page that will help children see examples of subtraction in real life situations.
Molly Robbins
This math book goes through really explaining money through adding and subtracting. It has different characters where they are going through different experiences where they are using money. You could use this in your classroom by creating a math workshop where all the stations are based on this book. You could set up the stations where they are having to deal with money during a certain event, where they have to solve who bought what, how much money they received and what they sold.
Hailey Dellinger
I saw this book in my first grade placement and thought it would be great to integrate with a lesson on word problems and subtraction This book does a great job of introducing subtraction signs (-,=). I really like how the book has colorful and engaging pictures that incorporate great vocabulary words like:subtract, less, regroup, minus, and equals. I would use this in a 1st grade class to show math is used in everyday life and introduction to subtraction.
Trang
Feb 15, 2012 Trang rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
Miss Prime and her class are going to the school fair and they're going to use subraction to do so!Fay subtracts seconds to beat Chester in a race. Otta and Tally subtract from the price of their popcorn to get it to sell. Miss Prime has a subtraction magic show! Everyone uses subtraction to make a difference in their day. This is a great book to show children how subtraction and ultimately math are needed in real-life situations.
Ashley Barnard
The book it cute and colorful. The text is a little all over the place, but I think it would be fun for a child who is just learning about subtraction. I like how it shows how math is used in every day situations. I also like how it gives the reader a math problem after each situations. The reader does not see the answers until the end of the book.
Alice
I love Loreen Leady. I wish these books were around when I was in Elementary School. They make math easy to understand and fun!

The stories are cute, they make it clear and there are answers in the back!! Great! It is very close to a 5 star, more like a 4 1/2 but if you ever read my reviews, I don't give out a lot of 5's!
Christina Camp
This book goes through many fun scenarios about subtraction with the help of Miss Prime and her class. The class has to use subtraction to solve problems at the school fair. This book would be good to use in the classroom because students learn the basics and when to use subtraction in real-life situations.
Faith Barron
Subtraction Action would be a great book to do a lesson on subtraction. This book is great because it does a wonderful job of introducing new vocabulary such as, subtract, regroup, minus, less and equals. This could be used as a great station during math so the students can practice different subtraction problems.
Sarah Ziskend
Good for:
-word problems
-subtraction
-introducing subtraction signs -,=
-Introducing subtraction vocabulary: subtract, less, difference, regroup, minus
-has engaging illustrations
-unique set up, uses speech bubbles and animals to tell the story
Codie Gates
We journey through subtraction with the help of Miss Prime and her class. the class has to use subtraction to solve problems at the school fair. With this book, students learn the basics and when to use it in real-life situations.
Lena Barnes
This is a cute book from Loreen Leedy. Here she explores subtraction using fun scenarios and pictures. She explains what it means to "take-away" and makes it seem not so complicated.
Tiffany Young
In this book,Miss Prime and her class have to use subtraction to solve problems at the school fair. This book would be great for introducing the basics of subtraction to students!
Denesha Allen
Fun book to read and explore subtraction. I would use this book as apart of a math work station and come up with fun activities and that are centered around subtraction.
Teri
Apr 15, 2012 Teri rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: math
terrible! You don't want to use one picture book to teach every aspect of math. It doesn't replace months worth of math curriculum. Not impressed.
Sharonta Johnson
Subtraction Action is about subtraction and is split into five levels. this book could be used for mini lessons on subtraction.
Betsy
Such a fun book on subtraction. Also shows how math, specifically subtraction, is needed in real-life. Grades 1-3.
Theresa
math curriculm add on to introduce sentice problems and solutions
McKayla Hogge
Great read aloud to introduce subtraction to 1st or 2nd graders!
Erica
Erica added it
Jun 06, 2015
Harold Eberhart
Harold Eberhart marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Melanie Castillo
Melanie Castillo marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Adela Mi
Adela Mi marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Brie
Brie added it
Apr 24, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Loreen Leedy is the author and illustrator of over 40 picture books with math, science, language arts, and other curriculum content. Her books showcase information in a kid-friendly format, often with characters and entertaining stories.

Honors and awards for her books include: ALA Notable Book, Science Books and Films finalist, Reading Rainbow feature book, Chicago Library Best of the Best, many S
More about Loreen Leedy...
Measuring Penny Mapping Penny's World Crazy Like a Fox: A Simile Story Seeing Symmetry Fraction Action