Start by marking “Wolverine: Weapon X, Vol. 2: Insane in the Brain” as Want to Read:
Wolverine: Weapon X, Vol. 2: Insane in the Brain

Wolverine: Weapon X, Vol. 2: Insane in the Brain (Wolverine Marvel Comics)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Welcome to Dunwich Sanatorium, where the only people weirder than the patients are the doctors in charge. The newest resident is a man known only as Patient X, a poor confused soul who doesn't remember who he is or how he came to be here. He only has vague memories of living with wolverines and traveling to the moon and killing lots and lots of people. Lucky for him, he ca...more
Published March 24th 2010 by Marvel (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Wolverine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolverine

Monica!
So, I definitely haven’t read many of the other Weapon X comics, and picked this up solely because I saw the cover and was all, “Ooh! Wolverine in a straitjacket! Shiny!”

Luckily, you don’t need to have any back story knowledge at all!

Because the entire plot consists of Wolverine trapped in a cheap knock-off of Arkham Asylum, run by a cheap knock-off of the Joker, eating pencil erasers and not knowing what day of the week it is!

I say that sort of mockingly, but it was a gross/fun read anyway. N...more
Jeff Lanter
If the first volume of Jason Aaron's Weapon X series was like a good action movie, the second is a solid horror film. Locking someone as tough as Wolverine in a horrible asylum is a great idea. I thought the art and colors really fit this type of story. For someone who likes the X-Men but doesn't really read any of the books, seeing Nightcrawler and Psylocke was very cool as well. The real highlight for me was the one-shot that explored Wolverine's love life. If you excuse a cross-genre referenc...more
Mike
This book is damned tedious at the beginning - I was going to add "unimaginative" but that's unfair. The doctor is a madman and thus unpredictable, but the "drama" of Logan's plight is...ugh. It ends pretty much like all Logan stories do.

The only redeeming quality of this collection is the unexpected last story as Logan grapples with his greatest enemy...love. Still not up to the quality I'd expect from Aaron, but it's closer by far than the rest of the book.

The art in this book is uniformly mid...more
zxvasdf
You just need to stop and think about what kinds of Hell Jason Aaron has put the lovable Wolverine through. You need to think real hard about what kind of asshole Jason Aaron has become since writing Wolverine Weapon X. You also need to think about how good this story is and thank your lucky stars Jason Aaron isn't writing your story.
Sam Quixote
Jason Aaron returns for a second volume of the highly brilliant series that is "Wolverine: Weapon X", this time with a different artist to regular collaborator Ron Garney, Yanick Paquette.

The book does continue the story set out in "Adamantium Men" though not literally as it starts in the middle then introduces the beginning about halfway through. This might be disconcerting for some but stick with it as the story is awesome. It's "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" crossed with "Joker's Asylum"...more
Colby Pryor
While I found the story in the second volume of Wolverine to be told well. The characters are well fleshed out, the story is a quaint little horror story, and the art, well the art isn't anything home about. However, from a writers point of view, nothing here really gripped me as something I would want to do or what I wouldn't want to do in my own writings. The plot elements of a main character in an insane asylum is a interesting one that I would do, however, the way it's handled here isn't wha...more
Strawberry
Okay, the main story in this comic was really creepy. It was the story of Logan being kept in an asylum without any memories of who he is, while a crazy sadistic doctor performs experiments on him and the other patients.
Most of the time the story reminded me of splatter horror movies with all the blood, missing limbs and cut-out brains.
The last story was much shorter but more interesting, for it tells how Logan suddenly finds himself in a relationship with the reporter Melita Garner and everyone...more
Silas
This... just wasn't very good. I guess the story was... creative... but this is just not the kind of story that I really care to read when I pick up a Wolverine comic.
Ondra Král
Aaron je naprostej psychouše... a nejspíš proto patří mezi mé nejoblíbenější scénáristy. Čteno podruhé a pořád to má setsakra šťávu.
Sean
Jun 30, 2013 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comics fans
Boy, that Jason Aaron is one sick puppy. After reading his work in Scalped I should have seen this coming. Him, working on a Wolverine book is bloody genius, emphasis on bloody. The introduction of Dr. Rot is really good. He's sadistic and is a great foil for Logan. My only quibble would be the somewhat forced relationship with Melita. I think I like her character but as with most the women in Wolverine's life, her meaningfulness is amped too high, too quickly. The art by Yanick Paquette is real...more
William Thomas
My love/hate relationship with Jason Aaron continues. If all of his Wolverine books were as well-written as these Weapon X books, I could cut out the hate part of our relationship.

Aaron takes wolverine in exact opposite directions from the first 5 issues to these 5 issues. In this, he's caught up in a storyline he'd most likely never be featured in without the other X-Men. And that's what made this book great.

Wolverine meets the first 20 minutes of House on Haunted Hill. Pitch perfect artwork.
Anthony Pinder
Since reading Daniel Way's run on Wolverine, I've been expecting a lot more from his books. It was nice to see that he finally knows who he is and what he wants in life. Jason Aaron, as the current writer on the series, has just gone and gotten rid of all that. With this volume, "Insane in the Brain", Aaron brings back the confused killer of the Weapon X (Barry Windsorsmith) days. It's an un-original plot with nothing new to offer for the Wolverine saga.
Craig
Pretty creepy story arc, but, um, how did Wolverine land in a psychiatric hospital? Did I miss something? There doesn't seem to be any link from vol. 1 to vol. 2 to show how this came about. Also, the whole patient running the loony bin is a plot we've all seen a thousand times. Jason Aaron's writing on Scalped is a whole lot better than what I've seen of his Wolverine so far.
Khairul H.
Volume 2 takes an about turn and goes down the dark route with a story of an insane asylum run by the inmates (well, one of the inmates; the others are just his lackeys) with our short Canadian mutant trapped within with memory loss.

Less fun than Volume 1 but then again the first volume had cancer bullets. Tough to follow something ludicrous like cancer bullets.
Aaron
Starts out very promising, but fails to live in its own circumstances. Instead of having Wolverine deal with his problem himself, a rather abrupt deus ex machina is used to "fix" the main conflict. Also, the cliffhanger ending is a little too indefinite, with no sense that it will matter much in the future.
Anne
Too violent and gory for my personal taste, but the art is nice. I'm also not a fan of trippy-mess-with-your-head kind of comics, so if you like that kind of thing, you'll probably enjoy this way more than I did.
Cameron
One of the creepiest comic stories ever in my opinion. I was genuinely kept on the edge of my seat after every issue waiting until the next one came out. This is Aaron's best arc of the "Weapon X" series.

5/5
Matt
It's not nearly so strong as the first arc, but Aaron definitely has fun with this arc. Dr. Rot, especially, is an entertaining and twisted character that acts very much as a Joker-type character for Wolverine.
Sonic
Super creepy! This is one of the more original Wolverine stories I have read in recent times. That is saying a lot!
Awesome in its build up, as well as in it's "resolution."
Excellent art!
Scott
This was a read story. It gives you no context going in, just "Wolverine's in a looney bin and we'll reveal why later..." Not the most enjoyable story-line, but had ok art.
Pavel
Probably the creepiest, the most violent and the most nerve-wracking story with Wolverine. Must-read.
Brendan Howard
Wolverine finds himself in a horror film. OK. Not NEARLY as good as the first volume.
Darcy Littlefield
Storyline is a little convoluted; besides that, very gripping with great artwork.
Eòsaph
Jason Aaron is so consistently awesome it's scary...
Zach
Story is weak at best but wolverine gets mighty bloody.
Geoff Derks
Issues #6 through 9: 1.5 stars
Issue #10: 4 stars
Sharon
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
Rusty
Odd. Macabre. Goofy.
Ogb
Aug 28, 2011 Ogb added it
till when i read it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Jason Aaron grew up in a small town in Alabama. His cousin, Gustav Hasford, who wrote the semi-autobiographical novel The Short-Timers, on which the feature film Full Metal Jacket was based, was a large influence on Aaron. Aaron decided he wanted to write comics as a child, and though his father was skeptical when Aaron informed him of this aspiration, his mother took Aaron to drug stores, where h...more
More about Jason Aaron...
Scalped, Vol. 1: Indian Country Thor: God of Thunder, Vol. 1: The God Butcher Scalped, Vol. 3: Dead Mothers Scalped, Vol. 2: Casino Boogie Wolverine and the X-Men, Vol. 1