Start by marking “A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister” as Want to Read:
A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister

A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  314 ratings  ·  16 reviews
After witnessing her older sister's losing battle with pancreatic cancer, "her journey though the dark landscape of religious doubt toward her God," Mars was overtaken with a compulsion: she wanted to go to church. So, she dedicated herself to visiting 31 houses of worship over a period of as many weeks. A Month of Sundays is the story of her enlightening spiritual pilgrim ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by GreyCore Press (first published April 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Month of Sundays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Month of Sundays

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Rory's Book Club
109th out of 171 books — 79 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottGone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
The Rory Gilmore Reading Challenge pt 2
89th out of 100 books — 17 voters

More lists with this book...

Debora Baird
This is one of those rare books that really makes me evaluate my beliefs and how I go about life. Very interesting to read about the different religions. I'm so glad I'm not as lost as the author is. We need to do this for book club, but it does use the F word once--just sayin'.
Leslie
The author, Julie Mars, loses her sister to cancer after caring for her in her dying months. She returns home to New Mexico and finds she wants two things. The second is this:
"My second serious desire is to go to church. I am surprised and a little afraid of this, so I set up some ground rules for myself. I will go to church every Sunday for thirty-one weeks: a month of Sundays. I will dress up and arrive a half hour early to take a picture with Shirley's simple camera, which I have taken from h
Mollie
I read this book as someone who enjoys church hopping... but that's not even nearly the meat of the book.
It's a very personal memoir about processing grief and life's purpose and mysteries. The churches/places of worship are just an interesting backdrop.
Having suffered some large losses in the past few years of my life the first third of the book was a little bit gut-wrenching but then I got past it and it really was a nicely done memoir structured in an interesting an really very satisfying way
Catherine
Julie Mars spends the last seven months of her sister's life with her as she's dying from pancreatic cancer. After her sister's death, the author spends a month of Sundays going to 31 different churches seeking spiritualism during her grieving process. Mars writes of her feelings with frankness and honesty as she reflects on her feelings during her sister's illness and then onto her own grief. This book was not easy to read. It brought back a lot of my own personal memories of grieving.
An interesting story about a woman's spiritual journey and complicated family relationships. It was not outstanding, but a very good book, and valuable read for anyone on their own spiritual journey.
Brandy
A Month of Sundays is about one woman's spiritual quest after losing her sister to pancreatic cancer. This memoir is quite haunting and more than a bit sad, though Mars doesn't seem isolated in her grief. She takes the reader along for her ride to all 31 churches over the course of 31 weeks. Her emotions are stark and her story is as intriguing as it is heartbreaking.
Suzanne
This is a book about the spiritual journey of a woman who goes to a different church every week for 31 weeks. You don't get much real info about the churches. It is more her musings on trying to make sense of the death of her sister. It was a very powerful narrative on family relationships, illness, and death. I recommend it.
Rachelle
A very interesting book and it really made for some great discussion at our book club. My heart just aches this poor woman. She is so lost and I really hope that one day she is able to find real peace.
Denise
An interesting view of a search for oneself and coming to terms with loss but seeking out lessons from various churches. It's not about trying new religions but where the author is mentally at each church
Deb
the author writes of visiting different churches and her search for meaning after the suffering and death of her sister. I felt bad for her. She just doesn't get IT.
Joanna
This book was fabulous! The author went to 31 different churches for 31 weeks (a month of Sundays) and she tells about them all. It's pretty facsinating.
Joelle
Its so nice when someone does something consistently - a great idea for a book.. loved it and have recommended to alot of people.
Debbie Stone
Again...not for everyone. A woman's search for finding meaning in death. Reflections on life.
Andie
I would have liked to ride along with the author on her Sunday morning visits.
Heather Molloy
I enjoyed the book very much as a journey through agnosticism and grief.
Jen
Very candid account of a woman's faith journey.
Becky Johnson
Becky Johnson marked it as to-read
Sofia
Sofia marked it as to-read
Kristi
Kristi marked it as to-read
Ashleigh Bowers
Ashleigh Bowers marked it as to-read
Shaley Hart
Shaley Hart marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Manny
Manny marked it as to-read
Rebecca Norman
Rebecca Norman marked it as to-read
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Cathérine
Cathérine marked it as to-read
Paula Busto
Paula Busto marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
  • A Quiet Storm
  • Rescuing Patty Hearst: Growing Up Sane in a Decade Gone Mad
  • Nervous System: Or, Losing My Mind in Literature
  • Moliere: A Biography
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • The Meaning of Consuelo
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • Novels 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born (Library of America #126)
  • My Life in Orange
  • Quattrocento
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • Song of the Simple Truth: The Complete Poems of Julia de Burgos
  • The Mojo Collection: The Ultimate Music Companion
  • The Peace of Nicias and the Sicilian Expedition (Peloponnesian War)
  • The Little Locksmith
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • The Song of Names
  • Extravagance
Anybody Any Minute Rust Marilyn Monroe The Secret Keepers Golf: Life On The Course