Start by marking “A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister” as Want to Read:
A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister

A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister

After witnessing her older sister's losing battle with pancreatic cancer, "her journey though the dark landscape of religious doubt toward her God," Mars was overtaken with a compulsion: she wanted to go to church. So, she dedicated herself to visiting 31 houses of worship over a period of as many weeks. A Month of Sundays is the story of her enlightening spiritual pilgrim ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by GreyCore Press (first published April 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Month of Sundays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Month of Sundays

Debora Baird
Dec 01, 2013 Debora Baird rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is one of those rare books that really makes me evaluate my beliefs and how I go about life. Very interesting to read about the different religions. I'm so glad I'm not as lost as the author is. We need to do this for book club, but it does use the F word once--just sayin'.
Jul 30, 2007 Leslie rated it really liked it
The author, Julie Mars, loses her sister to cancer after caring for her in her dying months. She returns home to New Mexico and finds she wants two things. The second is this:
"My second serious desire is to go to church. I am surprised and a little afraid of this, so I set up some ground rules for myself. I will go to church every Sunday for thirty-one weeks: a month of Sundays. I will dress up and arrive a half hour early to take a picture with Shirley's simple camera, which I have taken from h
Sep 21, 2012 Mollie rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
I read this book as someone who enjoys church hopping... but that's not even nearly the meat of the book.
It's a very personal memoir about processing grief and life's purpose and mysteries. The churches/places of worship are just an interesting backdrop.
Having suffered some large losses in the past few years of my life the first third of the book was a little bit gut-wrenching but then I got past it and it really was a nicely done memoir structured in an interesting an really very satisfying way
Nov 17, 2007 Catherine rated it really liked it
Julie Mars spends the last seven months of her sister's life with her as she's dying from pancreatic cancer. After her sister's death, the author spends a month of Sundays going to 31 different churches seeking spiritualism during her grieving process. Mars writes of her feelings with frankness and honesty as she reflects on her feelings during her sister's illness and then onto her own grief. This book was not easy to read. It brought back a lot of my own personal memories of grieving.
A Month of Sundays is about one woman's spiritual quest after losing her sister to pancreatic cancer. This memoir is quite haunting and more than a bit sad, though Mars doesn't seem isolated in her grief. She takes the reader along for her ride to all 31 churches over the course of 31 weeks. Her emotions are stark and her story is as intriguing as it is heartbreaking.
Apr 19, 2008 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
This is a book about the spiritual journey of a woman who goes to a different church every week for 31 weeks. You don't get much real info about the churches. It is more her musings on trying to make sense of the death of her sister. It was a very powerful narrative on family relationships, illness, and death. I recommend it.
Mar 11, 2015 Rachelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookclub-reads
A very interesting book and it really made for some great discussion at our book club. My heart just aches this poor woman. She is so lost and I really hope that one day she is able to find real peace.
Jul 28, 2008 Denise rated it liked it
An interesting view of a search for oneself and coming to terms with loss but seeking out lessons from various churches. It's not about trying new religions but where the author is mentally at each church
Sep 06, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it
An interesting story about a woman's spiritual journey and complicated family relationships. It was not outstanding, but a very good book, and valuable read for anyone on their own spiritual journey.
Mar 07, 2008 Joanna rated it really liked it
This book was fabulous! The author went to 31 different churches for 31 weeks (a month of Sundays) and she tells about them all. It's pretty facsinating.
Mar 23, 2008 Joelle rated it it was amazing
Its so nice when someone does something consistently - a great idea for a book.. loved it and have recommended to alot of people.
Nov 03, 2007 Deb rated it it was ok
the author writes of visiting different churches and her search for meaning after the suffering and death of her sister. I felt bad for her. She just doesn't get IT.
Samiksha rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2016
Sarah White
Sarah White rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2014
Sandeep rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2015
Judy rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Haylie rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Tricia Dodds
Tricia Dodds rated it liked it
Nov 19, 2013
Allison rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2009
Taniya rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2015
Diane rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Mahendra Chowdary
Mahendra Chowdary rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2014
Shirley Hearn
Shirley Hearn rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Bianca rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2014
Brandi rated it did not like it
Feb 17, 2012
Swathi rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2013
Priti rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Burak Balik
Burak Balik rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2015
Nancy Gage
Nancy Gage rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Jade Nguyen
Jade Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2014
  • The Meaning of Consuelo
  • Song of the Simple Truth: The Complete Poems of Julia de Burgos
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • Extravagance