Start by marking “When Winter Returns (Rosie Winter, #4)” as Want to Read:
When Winter Returns (Rosie Winter, #4)

When Winter Returns (Rosie Winter Mystery #4)

Back from their USO stint in the South Pacific in the fall of 1943, Rosie Winter and her best friend, Jayne, head upstate to visit the home of Jayne's recently deceased fiancÉ. But what they find leaves Rosie wondering if the man ever existed to begin with.

As Rosie searches for the truth behind his identity—and a way to help heal Jayne's broken heart—she faces an unple

Published May 11th 2010 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published April 22nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about When Winter Returns, please sign up.

amaya I read this book having not known of the first three, and it worked well as a stand-alone novel (in my opinion). I'm definitely interested in reading…moreI read this book having not known of the first three, and it worked well as a stand-alone novel (in my opinion). I'm definitely interested in reading more, but I was able to follow the story easily; the characters were explained well enough that I didn't feel left out in some way, and the plot was solid on its own. I hope this helps!(less)

Susan
When Winter Returns by Kathryn Miller Haines is the fourth book in the Rosie Winter mystery series set in New York City during World War II. The dialogue is period-perfect, and the author richly details everyday life in 1943. Rosie is a very sympathetic heroine, brave and loyal to protect her friends, decisive in her actions but also reflects upon her decisions to check if she's done the right thing.

Rosie and Jayne are back from their USO tour, and they find that 'home' has changed. Their old ro
The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft
Apr 02, 2012 The Haunted Reading Room 2017 - Year of Lovecraft rated it it was amazing
Recommended to The Haunted Reading Room by: Hearts on Fire Reviews
Shelves: may-2012-reads
“When Winter Returns” is a most delightful historical mystery with a strong, independent, flawed heroine, a woman who is not afraid to experience her emotions. Rosie Winter especially is unafraid of jumping into situations to help her friends, be they fellow actress Jayne (a lovely blonde who usually has no trouble finding acting or dancing parts), Al (a former mobster now on the run from his erstwhile sociopathic gangster boss), or Jack Castlegate-the wealthy Navy enlisted man with whom Rosie f ...more
Wendy
Jan 07, 2016 Wendy rated it liked it
I enjoyed this installment of Haines' series. I read the first two years ago, and never did read the third. I like the setting and the lighthearted tone. There were a few mysteries going on in this story at the same time, and I was happily misled! The culprit wasn't who I thought, yet it made perfect sense (not like some novels where the Who of Whodunnit pops up in the last chapter or two for convenience's sake).

The one thing that got on my nerves is the language; half the time Rosie talks in 1
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"Back from their USO stint in the South Pacific in the fall of 1943, Rosie Winter and her best friend, Jayne, head upstate to visit the home of Jayne's recently deceased fiance. But what they find leaves Rosie wondering if the man ever existed to begin with.

As Rosie searches for the truth behind his identity - and a way to help heal Jayne's broken heart - she faces an unpleasant homecoming of her own. The newspapers are filled with tales of saboteurs infiltrating the East Coast. Her ex,
Breanne
Feb 11, 2011 Breanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Rosie Winter and her best friend, Jayne, have just returned from their USO stint in the South Pacific in the fall of 1943. They head upstate to visit the family of Jayne's recently deceased fiance, but the man in the family's photographs is a stranger to them both. As Rosie searches for the truth behid his identity - and a way to help heal Jayne's broken heart - she faces an unpleasant homecoming of her own: her ex, Jack Castlegate, is back in Manhattan and engaged to a gorgeous WAC private, Ros ...more
amaya
Sep 19, 2015 amaya rated it really liked it
This is apparently the fourth book in a series I'd previously not known existed. I'd debated whether to start it, as I didn't know whether it also fit a stand-alone profile, but I'm glad I did!

The story was very engaging (I read the whole thing this afternoon, start to finish), and the reader is able to easily follow along without having prior knowledge of the characters or series. I'm definitely interested in reading more of these! This is a great book for those who want something compelling t
Susan
Actress Rosie Winter and her friend Jayne return from their World War II USO tour with heavy hearts. Jayne's fiance Billy died in combat, and Rosie's boyfriend Jack is not only charged with desertion, he's also in love with another woman. New York, too, seems sadly changed. Jayne cannot deal with the knowledge that everything Billy told her was a lie, and is reluctant to return to her old boyfriend, mobster Tony. Neither woman can get a job, and Rosie suspects that they've been blacklisted by a ...more
Sandra Strange
This series gives readers a pretty good picture of what World War II was like for performers on Broadway from the point of view of a world weary actress turned amateur sleuth from necessity and curiosity. The mysteries are fun, suspenseful in part, and clean, with a few crude words, but not much more to mar the stories. The actress uses mobster cant, but she runs with mobsters, so I guess it's sort of realistic. The mobsters, in general, turn out to have "hearts of gold." There is some oblique h ...more
Leah
Jun 22, 2010 Leah rated it really liked it
Rosie,

I've enjoyed getting to know you! For four years now, your mysteries have been at the forefront of my summer reads. In fact, I haven't enjoyed a mystery series like this since my Nancy Drew days. :)

Each book played like a movie in my head: Rosie's sarcasm, Jayne's voice, Jack's absence, Tony's persistence, Churchill's annoyance, Al's gruffness, Ruby's meanness, Belle's standards, and all the other details that made the world of two "starving" WWII-era actresses come alive.

My peepers truly
Georgann
Mar 02, 2013 Georgann rated it really liked it
Maybe the best Rosie Winter installment yet. Back in New York after their USO tour, Jayne and Rosie find their old room is now taken. Rosie ends up with her old nemesis, Ruby, while Jayne rooms with the new girl, Ann. Nobody is who they seem to be. Mistaken identities and deliberately obscured ones are the basis for this mystery. The most glaring one is who Billy really was, the man who Jayne would have married had he not been killed in action in the South Pacific. Further story of Jack and a ne ...more
Cathryn Ferrara
Aug 07, 2012 Cathryn Ferrara rated it really liked it
One of the best in this entertaining series. I did not love the first in this series but was blown away by the second and have loved the third and this apparently final installment.

I am sorry to see this will likely be the last Rosie Winter, especially as so much seems to have been left unresolved but I really did like this series.

Miller Haines has a real way with the period and a flair for drawing the reader in.
Lorena
Aug 23, 2010 Lorena rated it liked it
Far better than the previous two books, although the mysteries get a little more preposterous as the series goes on. Still, the character studies in this one were a little more interesting and enjoyable.
Jenn Estepp
another rosie winter mystery, although genre elements take a backseat to further exploration of "life during wartime." i don't think it's quite as strong as some other books in the series, but i enjoyed it and will still get excited if/when i hear there's another one coming.
Julie
Apr 11, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
This was a fabulous follow up in the Rosie Winter series, we are now stateside after Rosie has received o shocking revelation and now her and her BFF have another mystery to solve fraught with lots of action and full of danger. I hope to see another book in this series.
Meg
Sep 16, 2015 Meg rated it really liked it
This book was my favorite of the series so far. The trouble Rosie gets herself into, and the way she gets out of it, is entertaining to say the least. We also get the full story of Jack and Peaches in this book, which I was missing in the last.
Debbie
May 19, 2010 Debbie rated it liked it
A typical Rosie Winter mystery. Rosie is a mostly unemployed actress during WWII in New York. Her boy friend had broken up with her than joined up. He is now missing a leg and engaged to someone else. In each volume Rosie gets involved with some WWII era crime. In this one it is sleeper Nazi spies.
Jenny
Jun 22, 2014 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
These books are just delightful. I read this one a few weeks ago, so I couldn't tell you what actually happens. But it's safe to say that there was some kind of ridiculous mystery that drove the plot. Oh! I think there were Nazi spies.
Carol
Mar 05, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
WW 2 mystery set in NYC, Rosie and Jayne have just returned from a tour in the South Pacific. They are looking for work and trying to locate the family of Jayne's deceased fiance. Romance, espionage and mystery intrude. Well written and seems to be very accurate in the portrayal of the time period.
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Mallory
Publisher: Harper Paperbacks
Genre: Historical Fiction/Mystery
Rated: 4 Heart

Check out the review at: http://heartsonfirereviews.com

Lexi
Aug 03, 2015 Lexi rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Another excellent installment in this series. Can't wait for the next.
Phyllis
Jun 02, 2014 Phyllis rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
A fun read
Cindy
Jul 23, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it
A good WWII mystery. The gals are back from the South Pacific and are finding that nothing there or back home is what it seems.
Natalie
Oct 12, 2013 Natalie rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
I am going to miss Rosie
Molly Panzer
Oct 11, 2015 Molly Panzer rated it liked it
finally, through with this series. It was good, but bye, bye Rosie Winter/
Nicole
Mar 21, 2015 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
A really satisfactory wrap-up for the series.
Lindsay Carbone
Lindsay Carbone rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2012
Chinacat
Chinacat rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2012
Parul
Parul rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2012
ali askye
ali askye rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Dominique
Dominique rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Dig Deep for Murder (Manor House Mystery #4)
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • How to Marry a Murderer (Paige Turner, #3)
  • The Serpent and the Scorpion
  • The Bee's Kiss (Joe Sandilands, #5)
  • The Breaking Point
  • Mystery Dance: Three Novels
  • The Masuda Affair (Sugawara Akitada, #7)
  • The Lady Julia Grey Bundle (Lady Julia Grey, #1-3)
  • One O'Clock Jump: A Dorie Lennox Mystery
  • A Mortal Terror (Billy Boyle World War II, #6)
Kathryn Miller Haines is an actor, mystery writer, and award-winning playwright. She grew up in San Antonio, Texas, and received her BA in English and Theatre from Trinity University in San Antonio and her MFA in English from the University of Pittsburgh. She's a member of the Mary Roberts Rinehart Chapter of Sisters in Crime and has been a board member of the New York chapter of Mystery Writers o ...more
More about Kathryn Miller Haines...

Rosie Winter Mystery (4 books)
  • The War Against Miss Winter (Rosie Winter, #1)
  • The Winter of Her Discontent (Rosie Winter, #2)
  • Winter in June (Rosie Winter, #3)