Start by marking “For Whom the Bell Tolls (SparkNotes Literature Guide Series)” as Want to Read:
For Whom the Bell Tolls (SparkNotes Literature Guide Series)

For Whom the Bell Tolls (SparkNotes Literature Guide Series)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  2,223 ratings  ·  3 reviews

Spark Publishing’s Literature Guides are celebrating their 5th Anniversary! To celebrate this, we’re giving our TOP 50 a revamp by adding some exciting new features.

There will be sixteen pages devoted to writing a literary essay including:

Glossary of literary terms, Step by step tutoring on how to write a literary essay Feature on how not to plagiarized.

Each book will al
Published by Spark Publishing (first published June 13th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about For Whom the Bell Tolls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Whom the Bell Tolls

Duncan Mandel
SUMMARY: In 1937 Ernest Hemingway traveled to Spain to cover the civil war there for the North American Newspaper Alliance. Three years later he completed the greatest novel to emerge from "the good fight," For Whom the Bell Tolls. The story of Robert Jordan, a young American in the International Brigades attached to an antifascist guerilla unit in the mountains of Spain, it tells of loyalty and courage, love and defeat, and the tragic death of an ideal. In his portrayal of Jordan's love for the ...more
Vicki
I will never forget reading this book in freshmen English. I expected something dry because I hadn't heard good things about Hemingway's life. Instead, I read a moving story that caught me up. I was reading ahead of the class because I was so thrilled with the tension and beauty of his writing.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who passed it by earlier.
Wade
For whom the bell tolls by Ernest Hemingway (1968)
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Lola Engel
Lola Engel marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
John Highmore
John Highmore marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
  • Okinawa: The Last Battle of World War II
  • Chariots of Fire
  • Little Women
  • The Captive & The Fugitive (In Search of Lost Time, #5-6)
  • Ben-Hur: A Tale of the Christ
  • The Further Adventures Of Robinson Crusoe
  • Blind Man with a Pistol (Harlem Cycle, #8)
  • When You Ride Alone You Ride With Bin Laden: What the Government Should Be Telling Us to Help Fight the War on Terrorism
  • Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl (Literature Guide: Grades 4-8)
  • In the Heart of the Country
  • Rabbit Redux (Rabbit Angstrom, #2)
  • Main Street / Babbitt (Library of America #59)
  • Nineteen Seventy Seven (Red Riding, #2)
  • One Thousand And One Nights, Volume 04
  • Myra Breckinridge
  • A Severed Head
  • Plan of Attack
  • Rites of Passage (To the Ends of the Earth, #1)
Many of the editions by this group of authors are actually guides to books rather than the works.

If the author of the SparkNotes is known, they should be the first author. Please leave these SparkNotes Editors as the second author and the author of the original work as the last author. Do not combine with the original work. Do not put the author of the ORIGINAL work first.

Link to discussion.
More about SparkNotes...
1984: George Orwell (SparkNotes Literature Guide) Romeo and Juliet A Midsummer Night's Dream Macbeth Julius Caesar (Oxford School Shakespeare)