Start by marking “Creatures of the Abyss” as Want to Read:
Creatures of the Abyss

Creatures of the Abyss

3.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Orejas de ellos, the things who listen, whispered the superstitious fishermen when the strange occurrences began off the Philippine coast. How else could you explain the sudden disappearance of a vessel beneath a mysterious curtain of foam? The writhings of thousands of maddened fish trapped in a coffin-like area of ocean? An alien intelligence gorged at the bottom of the ...more
Audiobook
Published June 11th 2013 by LibriVox (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Creatures of the Abyss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creatures of the Abyss

Julie Davis
Jun 18, 2013 Julie Davis rated it liked it
I listened to the LibriVox free audio version, narrated by the wonderful Mark Douglas Nelson.

Radar expert and electronic engineer Terry Holt has been recruited by a scientific expedition in the Phillipines to make underwater listening devices. They won't tell him what his inventions are meant to investigate. And that makes him mad.

He has some ideas though. Orejas de ellos, the things who listen, have been the explanation by fishermen about strange catches of fish. Are they real or just superstit
Manuel Alfonseca
Dec 06, 2015 Manuel Alfonseca rated it liked it
Interesting sci-fi novel that reminds the structure of a mystery novel, as the protagonist finds himself in the middle of a set of puzzles and enigmas, is bothered because those around him do not give him information, and he has to discover the facts by himself. Finally he comes to the conclusion that the reason why they looked mysterious was because they did not have an answer to the problem and did not trust their own ideas about the solution.
The novel contains outdated scientific material, su
Craig
Nov 14, 2014 Craig rated it really liked it
I read the paperback version of this novel a million years ago and didn't have much memory of it other than thinking it was pretty good. Leinster was one of my favorites when I was young, especially his Med Service stories and the Joe Kenmore trilogy. I have just finished listening to the Librivox audio version, which is a very capably and professionally performed reading. It's an undersea adventure, Pacific Rim without the kaiju and robots if you will, very entertaining and a lot of fun.
Allan
Electronics expert Terry Holt needs to vacate Manilla while some furore between fishing boat crews dies down so when he gets an offer to spend some paid time on a swanky sailing vessel building some experimental gear he almost jumps at the chance. Almost - because they won't tell him what they're doing or what the kit is for and he's not very happy about that. All he's told is that something mysterious is happening in the Luzon Deep and it's connected to the fishing boat situation.

This is an old
Ralph McEwen
Aug 10, 2013 Ralph McEwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well done story. There are a couple of dated references to equipment used but the tale has held up very well over time. The character are believable and their interactions are smooth. The plot has a more plausibility to it then many other science ficton I have read. Mark Nelson's narration as always is professional and easy to listen to.
Dianne Owens
Jul 10, 2013 Dianne Owens rated it really liked it
I haven't listened to a lot of older science fiction stories, but when I noticed that audiobook reader Mark Nelson (a personal favorite reader) had read this story, I decided to spend a few minutes listening to his librivox reading at Archive.org, my interest was perked by those first few minutes of conversation between Terry and Deirdre in their first meeting.
GIST
After being left holding the bag after his business partner leaves him to deal with the knock-on affect of fitting some new technolo
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 Norman Howe rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This reminds me of John Wyndham's novel, The Kraken Wakes, also titled Out of the Deeps. I've noticed a difference between European and American SF: In the American stories, the humans usually win. More optimistic, or less realistic?
Daphne
Nov 04, 2015 Daphne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quest
First off all, the Librivox narration was done absolutely perfectly. The narrator there did a better job than most audible and tantor narrators. I was super happy to listen to him tell me this story.
description

The story had this. It also had mind controlling aliens from both Venus and Jupiter to order the giant squid around. You didn't get to meet the aliens though. :(

Overall, it was a damn fine little sci-fi/naval story that I enjoyed listening to.
John
Feb 21, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
1989 grade B

Old.
Jay Dee
Nov 28, 2013 Jay Dee rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, sci-fi
Awesome read! Adventure in the most classic sense!

The author does not go beyond his scope. Sometimes the expatiation of simple sciences irked me, but overall, it was done very nicely. It has a kind of old-school quaintness, simple narrative (choppy at times but generally pleasing), and explosive adventure that makes it refreshing and rewarding.

Bombing giant-ass squids and seething swathes of sea full of scintillating sea creatures and froth... scenes that wouldn't be easy to forget.
Mitchell
May 09, 2014 Mitchell rated it liked it
Good old vacuum-tube and slide-rule SF.
Guerrilla808
This was badass!!!
Francesco
Francesco marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Thomas
Thomas is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2016
Emil
Emil rated it did not like it
Jan 18, 2016
Myke
Myke rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2015
Gary Holt
Gary Holt rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2015
MB Taylor
MB Taylor marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
Mark Metcalf
Mark Metcalf rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Jonathan Tannis
Jonathan Tannis marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Robyn Paterson
Robyn Paterson rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2015
Reggie
Reggie rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Dara
Dara rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2015
Ekel Adolf
Ekel Adolf marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Joshua Lillard
Joshua Lillard marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Marvin Crichlow
Marvin Crichlow rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Justine
Justine marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Rick Claypool
Rick Claypool marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
William T
William T rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2015
Adam Archer
Adam Archer rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2015