Start by marking “Ultimate Comics Avengers Vol. 1: The Next Generation” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Comics Avengers Vol. 1: The Next Generation

Ultimate Comics Avengers Vol. 1: The Next Generation (The Ultimates #7)

Guess who's back! That's right, kids, Mark Millar (The Ultimates, Wolverine: Old Man Logan) and superstar artist Carlos Pacheco (Avengers Forever, X-Men) blast into the Ultimate Universe for a mind-blowing, heart-pounding, and gut-wrenching event of epic proportions!
When a highly-classified secret threatens Captain America, only the newly-returned Nick Fury has the tools t
Published July 14th 2010 by Marvel (first published February 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Comics Avengers Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Comics Avengers Vol. 1

Kemper
Mar 24, 2012 Kemper rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhero, 2012
Did Marvel really wait this long before introducing a version of the Red Skull to their Ultimate universe? Once again Millar puts a nasty and interesting twist on a familiar character by revising the origin story and unleashing a creepy and capable villain in the process. My only complaint is that the idea of Cap going rogue seemed kind of unnecessary, but the results were fun.
Anne
*Re-Read 2014*

Not sure how this happened, but I definitely like the book better this time around.
Not that I even realized it was a re-read until I went to write a review for it...
Maybe my tastes have changed over the years, and now I'm more interested in reading about amoral characters?
Whatever the reason, I loved it this time around!
You wanna know what's weird?
Doesn't matter, I'm going to tell you anyway.
I had an entirely different reaction to the things I didn't like 4 years ago.
Ta
Holden Attradies
This was my first post-Ultimatum read in the ultimate universe, so I wasn't to sure what to expect. Honestly I was expecting utter crap, and this pleasantly surprised me.

Now, this wasn't any where's near as good as Ultimates 1 and 2, but I think very few things ever will but. It was most definitely WAY better than Ultimates 3. The artwork was stellar, and up to the high standards set by past Ultimate universe publications, and the story had a pretty solid flow to it. At first I felt like I wasn'
Mike
Dec 05, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it
Solid, fast-paced story, crisp dialogue. Great action art (with a few rushed panels), and unrelenting characters. I really enjoy reading these, but I end up feeling a little dirty afterwards. Maybe it's my fear that Millar leans a little too Tea Party, and his books are just thinly-veiled propaganda?
Mike
Dec 08, 2016 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: completed-series
We find out who the Ultimate Universe Red Skull is -- and i don't like it much!
But I did enjoy the story, warts and all.
Scott
Apr 04, 2011 Scott rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. My brother-in-law said that it fundamentally shifted how he saw Captain America and that's why I loved it. Millar really took the "Ultimate" shtick of shaking things up to heart and did some great things with these characters. For example: Tony Stark has a brother, Nerd Hulk is exactly that, and Red Skull...well!
Martin
Oct 07, 2012 Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Marvel did the smart thing by getting Millar back on an Ultimate title, if only to win back the readers it lost because of The Ultimates 3: Who Killed the Scarlet Witch? and Ultimatum. These two storylines were okay for me (I've reviewed them as well), but by all accounts they were a big letdown to the readership in general.

I won't go over the plot particulars since other reviewers (collectively) have more than sufficiently covered this aspect of the book.

Some people don't like Millar's storie
Myles
So as soon as I got this I had the urge to splurge right through it the way I usually do with comic books. But I had to restrain myself two thirds through and promise myself I'd finish my other book first.

Mark Millar seems to be a love him or hate him figure in comics, but I've always appreciated his high-octane, sand-in-the-face modern stories, which I consider synonomous with the Ultimate universe. Still, I was a little leery of his take on the Avengers at first.

Red Skull, a legendarily cruel
Justin
Nov 27, 2016 Justin rated it really liked it
After the abomination that was Ultimates 3: Who Killed The Scarlet Witch? (v. 1) and the insult to injury of Ultimatum, Marvel finally wised up and brought Mark Millar back to the title he and Bryan Hitch made famous. This time around they're calling it Ultimate Comics Avengers, and Carlos Pacheco is handling artistic duties, but this initial volume in the Ultimate Avengers reboot has a lot of the same spirit as the excellent The Ultimates Omnibus series.

Story - Mark Millar serves up a darker ta
Emmett Spain
Aug 14, 2011 Emmett Spain rated it liked it
It’s Mark Millar. It’s over the top. This you will know if you’ve read a Mark Millar comic before.

Taking the reigns off himself even more lately (likely prompted by his success with Kick-Ass), Millar has pumped out uber-violent, saucy language, snappy fare like Nemesis, Kick-Ass 2, and of course this, the successor to his wildly successful and just plain excellent Ultimates series with Bryan Hitch.

This series follows the Ultimate Avengers—a black ops style team who handle all the stuff the “day
C.J. Edmunds
Feb 29, 2012 C.J. Edmunds rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, marvel
Beckiezra
Jul 01, 2014 Beckiezra rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-manga
This was my first exposure to the ultimate universe version of Avengers and even though it's a beginning (issues 1-6) it obviously isn't the very beginning so I was a bit lost at first. It wasn't terribly complicated though so it was mostly some confusion about character backgrounds and connections. Mostly it made me want to find out more.

The Red Skull story was interesting enough and the ending was sad. I think all the ultimate stuff is purposely depressing though so happy endings shouldn't be
Scotty Cameron
Oct 23, 2013 Scotty Cameron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, marvel
Ultimate Avengers The Next Generation is how the Avengers are introduced into the Ultimate Universe. Captain America meats the Red Skull who turns out to be his son not Nazi commander Johan Schmidt. Captain America goes rogue toe find answers and SHIELD tries to hunt down Captain America and stop the Red Skull from using the Cosmic Cube from creating another Ultimatum. The Ultimate Avengers are NOT the same thing as the Ultimates the Avengers are Punisher (doesn't join until Crime & Punisher ...more
Rigoberto
Mar 26, 2016 Rigoberto rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The story of this novel overall was impressive. After the mess that was Ultimatum, it was great to see Mark Millar work on the Ultimate Universe again, this time using more brutal characters like Hawkeye. A change that I did enjoy would be the introduction of Gregory Stark, who turns out to be like Tony without morals and a drinking problem. The story revolves around the Red Skull attempting to create his own Cosmic Cube via Reed Richards's design, in order to fix history to his liking (no spoil ...more
Taleisin
Jul 08, 2012 Taleisin rated it did not like it
I was not really impressed with this incarnation.

First the good, I like the premise of the Red Skull coming back, although I thought it was a bit of a stretch to make him Captain America's son.

Aside from Nick Fury, Hawkeye (more on him later) and Captain America, these are all copies. Tony Stark's older brother created them. They also add in pieces of the Fantastic Four and a VERY twisted Spiderman. This must be the "next generation" the title refers to. I'll stick with the originals. Since wh
Todd
Mini-rant: Goddiammit, Editors! Why is it so challenging to keep where your characters are? Reed and Johnny showing up in the Fantastic Four uniforms was enough to really jar me out of the story. Johnny is a brunette living with the Parker's and Reed is living at his parents' house! Come the hell on!

That said, this is still a fun read. There are some signs that Millar isn't really sure what he wants to do with the Ultimates anymore. Cap spouting lines like "Talk to the hand" and yelling curse wo
Marko
Jul 07, 2016 Marko rated it liked it
A surprisingly decent read. The only drawback was that this was set in the slightly confusing Ultimate universe that twists all the characters out of whack. It makes it confusing for an irregular reader. The story is very straight-forward with Captain America bumping into the Red Skull for the first time in the modern day (never having encountered him in the days of yore) and finding out that the murderous bastard is actually his... well... bastard.

Some of the imagery is very horrible for a pare
Alan
Nov 29, 2010 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the days when Mark Millar used to try to tell a story instead of trying to see how much he could shock people. He avoids much of his typical shock tactics here, and give us what is probably the last, or next to last good Marvel Ultimate universe story. Who knew Captain America had a son, and that son would become the Red Skull? That Nick Fury (drawn to resemble Samuel L. Jackson) would be a bigger bastard than the Skull? There is a large violence quotient, but most of it works within the con ...more
Mark
Apr 14, 2012 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, avengers
The Marvel Ultimate series restarts their most popular titles with a more modern perspective.

This book picks up after the events of Ultimatum.

Nick Fury has been fired and Captain America has gone rogue. Tony Stark's big brother lends a hand as well as a kinder, gentler Hulk.

This is an interesting story that provides a new take on Red Skulls origin.
However, it seems mundane compared with the pre-Ultimatum story-line.

Notes
War Machine plays rough.

Learning Curve
Moderate: Readers new to the series
Artur Coelho
Oct 28, 2013 Artur Coelho rated it liked it
Os lendários Vingadores como equipa de operações secretas dedicada a missões de ética duvidosa? É a distorção de Mark Millar à moralidade elementar da Marvel. O conceito intriga e a visceralidade da forma de agir dos heróis dá-lhes uma dimensão violenta tradicionalmente ausente na Marvel. É também intrigante rever o icónico Capitão América não como um bonzinho patriota mas como um operacional altamente treinado que mal consegue disfarçar tendências fascizantes. Também notável é o fim da inocênci ...more
Megan M
May 26, 2012 Megan M rated it it was amazing
The Ultimate version of Red Skull is heartbreaking story. This volume is all about broken and lost families - the Cap and Red Skull, the Stark brothers, Red Wasp's backstory. It's intense, with plenty of action, but also a lot of great character moments for those that read comics to get to know the people behind the mask. I was impressed by both the story and the art and would recommend this to any fan of Mark Millar's work.
Noah Soudrette
May 12, 2011 Noah Soudrette rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Mark Millar's original two Ultimates series are some of my favorite all time comics. This is not them. Not even close. Ever since Marvel manded the ultimate reigns over to Jeff Loeb, the whole things been a cluster fuck. While the story here isn't terrible and the characters are mildly amusing, I would avoid this. especially if you're a fan of the original Ultimates. The Ultimate universe is dead.
TJ Shelby
Sep 04, 2010 TJ Shelby rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel
Most of the Ultimate comics series, while given carte blanche to redo that particular world, I think it's going to take some time before I adjust to how drastic Millar has rocked the Avengers world. Or maybe just read it a few more times.

I actually like the origin story behind the Red Skull. It fundamentally shifts how I see Captain America and I'm still unsure how I feel about that.

It'll be fun to see where Millar takes this.
Luis Silva
Nov 27, 2015 Luis Silva rated it really liked it
Though the art wasn't as awe-inspiring as Bryan Hitch's, and Millar's writing felt a little condensed, this one introduced some surprisingly interesting concepts. (Such as Millar's take on the Red Skull.) Really, my main complaint was that I wanted to read more about the characters introduced within these pages, but that's not really a complaint, is it? Check it out!
zxvasdf
Jan 29, 2011 zxvasdf rated it it was amazing
An interesting direction in the Captain America mythos. I personally like this Captain America better than the previous versions. He cherishes the peace and innocents, but he's not afraid to crack a couple of skulls on the way. The twist at the end is worth the read. Gorgeous art by Pacheco and, as always, spectacular writing by Millar.
Martin Yankov
Aug 13, 2011 Martin Yankov rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
It was okay, but nothing really special. The last issue was great, though, without it I would have given this 2 stars instead of 3.
I guess it's hard to come back after that horrible Ultimatum event destroyed everything in the ultimate imprint.
Joe
Apr 17, 2013 Joe rated it really liked it
Wow
This is just great comics.
Really fun stuff with Captain America and Nick Firy. Nerd Hulk and the crew.
Fun indeed.
PWRL
Apr 20, 2011 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-new
A
Tamahome
Aug 03, 2010 Tamahome rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
~ch 4: This is the real deal folks. I prefer artist Bryan Hitch but Carlos will do.

The art got lackluster towards the end. Not as good as The Ultimates but a nice weaker surrogate.
  • Ultimate Comics: X-Men, Volume 1
  • Ultimate Comics X: Origins
  • Ultimate Comics Spider-Man: Death of Spider-Man
  • Ultimate Comics Captain America
  • Ultimatum: Requiem
  • Ultimate Comics Iron Man: Armor Wars
  • Ultimate Comics Thor
  • Ultimate Iron Man, Volume 1
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, Jupit ...more
More about Mark Millar...

The Ultimates (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Ultimates, Volume 1: Super-Human
  • The Ultimates, Volume 2: Homeland Security
  • The Ultimates 2, Volume 1: Gods and Monsters
  • The Ultimates 2, Volume 2: Grand Theft America
  • The Ultimates 3: Who Killed the Scarlet Witch?
  • Ultimatum
  • Ultimate Comics New Ultimates: Thor Reborn
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates: Death of Spider-Man
  • Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, by Jonathan Hickman, Volume 1: The Republic Is Burning
  • Ultimate Comics: Ultimates, by Jonathan Hickman, Volume 2: Two Cities. Two Worlds.