Start by marking “Ultimate Comics Avengers: Next Generation” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Comics Avengers: Next Generation

Ultimate Comics Avengers: Next Generation (Ultimate Comics: Avengers #1)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  406 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Guess who's back! That's right, kids, Mark Millar (The Ultimates, Wolverine: Old Man Logan) and superstar artist Carlos Pacheco (Avengers Forever, X-Men) blast into the Ultimate Universe for a mind-blowing, heart-pounding, and gut-wrenching event of epic proportions! When a highly-classified secret threatens Captain America, only the newly-returned Nick Fury has the tools ...more
Published July 14th 2010 by Marvel (first published February 4th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Comics Avengers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Comics Avengers

Kemper
Did Marvel really wait this long before introducing a version of the Red Skull to their Ultimate universe? Once again Millar puts a nasty and interesting twist on a familiar character by revising the origin story and unleashing a creepy and capable villain in the process. My only complaint is that the idea of Cap going rogue seemed kind of unnecessary, but the results were fun.
Anne
*Re-Read 2014*

Not sure how this happened, but I definitely like the book better this time around.
Not that I even realized it was a re-read until I went to write a review for it...
Maybe my tastes have changed over the years, and now I'm more interested in reading about amoral characters?
Whatever the reason, I loved it this time around!
You wanna know what's weird?
Doesn't matter, I'm going to tell you anyway.
I had an entirely different reaction to the things I didn't like 4 years ago.
Tak
Holden Attradies
This was my first post-Ultimatum read in the ultimate universe, so I wasn't to sure what to expect. Honestly I was expecting utter crap, and this pleasantly surprised me.

Now, this wasn't any where's near as good as Ultimates 1 and 2, but I think very few things ever will but. It was most definitely WAY better than Ultimates 3. The artwork was stellar, and up to the high standards set by past Ultimate universe publications, and the story had a pretty solid flow to it. At first I felt like I wasn'
Mike
Solid, fast-paced story, crisp dialogue. Great action art (with a few rushed panels), and unrelenting characters. I really enjoy reading these, but I end up feeling a little dirty afterwards. Maybe it's my fear that Millar leans a little too Tea Party, and his books are just thinly-veiled propaganda?
Scott
I really enjoyed this book. My brother-in-law said that it fundamentally shifted how he saw Captain America and that's why I loved it. Millar really took the "Ultimate" shtick of shaking things up to heart and did some great things with these characters. For example: Tony Stark has a brother, Nerd Hulk is exactly that, and Red Skull...well!
Martin
Marvel did the smart thing by getting Millar back on an Ultimate title, if only to win back the readers it lost because of The Ultimates 3: Who Killed the Scarlet Witch? and Ultimatum. These two storylines were okay for me (I've reviewed them as well), but by all accounts they were a big letdown to the readership in general.

I won't go over the plot particulars since other reviewers (collectively) have more than sufficiently covered this aspect of the book.

Some people don't like Millar's storie
Beckiezra
This was my first exposure to the ultimate universe version of Avengers and even though it's a beginning (issues 1-6) it obviously isn't the very beginning so I was a bit lost at first. It wasn't terribly complicated though so it was mostly some confusion about character backgrounds and connections. Mostly it made me want to find out more.

The Red Skull story was interesting enough and the ending was sad. I think all the ultimate stuff is purposely depressing though so happy endings shouldn't be
Caz Edmunds
Myles
So as soon as I got this I had the urge to splurge right through it the way I usually do with comic books. But I had to restrain myself two thirds through and promise myself I'd finish my other book first.

Mark Millar seems to be a love him or hate him figure in comics, but I've always appreciated his high-octane, sand-in-the-face modern stories, which I consider synonomous with the Ultimate universe. Still, I was a little leery of his take on the Avengers at first.

Red Skull, a legendarily cruel
Emmett Spain
It’s Mark Millar. It’s over the top. This you will know if you’ve read a Mark Millar comic before.

Taking the reigns off himself even more lately (likely prompted by his success with Kick-Ass), Millar has pumped out uber-violent, saucy language, snappy fare like Nemesis, Kick-Ass 2, and of course this, the successor to his wildly successful and just plain excellent Ultimates series with Bryan Hitch.

This series follows the Ultimate Avengers—a black ops style team who handle all the stuff the “day
Scotty Cameron
Ultimate Avengers The Next Generation is how the Avengers are introduced into the Ultimate Universe. Captain America meats the Red Skull who turns out to be his son not Nazi commander Johan Schmidt. Captain America goes rogue toe find answers and SHIELD tries to hunt down Captain America and stop the Red Skull from using the Cosmic Cube from creating another Ultimatum. The Ultimate Avengers are NOT the same thing as the Ultimates the Avengers are Punisher (doesn't join until Crime & Punisher ...more
Taleisin
I was not really impressed with this incarnation.

First the good, I like the premise of the Red Skull coming back, although I thought it was a bit of a stretch to make him Captain America's son.

Aside from Nick Fury, Hawkeye (more on him later) and Captain America, these are all copies. Tony Stark's older brother created them. They also add in pieces of the Fantastic Four and a VERY twisted Spiderman. This must be the "next generation" the title refers to. I'll stick with the originals. Since wh
Alan
For the days when Mark Millar used to try to tell a story instead of trying to see how much he could shock people. He avoids much of his typical shock tactics here, and give us what is probably the last, or next to last good Marvel Ultimate universe story. Who knew Captain America had a son, and that son would become the Red Skull? That Nick Fury (drawn to resemble Samuel L. Jackson) would be a bigger bastard than the Skull? There is a large violence quotient, but most of it works within the con ...more
Ian
Millar starts with a cool reimagining of the Red Skull, then devolves into playing with action figures. Still, there's a nice sense of momentum running through the nonsense.
Dan
Another great Ultimate comics story. Really enjoyed the twist on the identity of the new Red Skull.
Artur Coelho
Os lendários Vingadores como equipa de operações secretas dedicada a missões de ética duvidosa? É a distorção de Mark Millar à moralidade elementar da Marvel. O conceito intriga e a visceralidade da forma de agir dos heróis dá-lhes uma dimensão violenta tradicionalmente ausente na Marvel. É também intrigante rever o icónico Capitão América não como um bonzinho patriota mas como um operacional altamente treinado que mal consegue disfarçar tendências fascizantes. Também notável é o fim da inocênci ...more
Mark
The Marvel Ultimate series restarts their most popular titles with a more modern perspective.

This book picks up after the events of Ultimatum.

Nick Fury has been fired and Captain America has gone rogue. Tony Stark's big brother lends a hand as well as a kinder, gentler Hulk.

This is an interesting story that provides a new take on Red Skulls origin.
However, it seems mundane compared with the pre-Ultimatum story-line.

Notes
War Machine plays rough.

Learning Curve
Moderate: Readers new to the series
Ewa
at least the art's good.
TJ Shelby
Most of the Ultimate comics series, while given carte blanche to redo that particular world, I think it's going to take some time before I adjust to how drastic Millar has rocked the Avengers world. Or maybe just read it a few more times.

I actually like the origin story behind the Red Skull. It fundamentally shifts how I see Captain America and I'm still unsure how I feel about that.

It'll be fun to see where Millar takes this.
Megan Sanchez
The Ultimate version of Red Skull is heartbreaking story. This volume is all about broken and lost families - the Cap and Red Skull, the Stark brothers, Red Wasp's backstory. It's intense, with plenty of action, but also a lot of great character moments for those that read comics to get to know the people behind the mask. I was impressed by both the story and the art and would recommend this to any fan of Mark Millar's work.
Noah Soudrette
Mark Millar's original two Ultimates series are some of my favorite all time comics. This is not them. Not even close. Ever since Marvel manded the ultimate reigns over to Jeff Loeb, the whole things been a cluster fuck. While the story here isn't terrible and the characters are mildly amusing, I would avoid this. especially if you're a fan of the original Ultimates. The Ultimate universe is dead.
zxvasdf
An interesting direction in the Captain America mythos. I personally like this Captain America better than the previous versions. He cherishes the peace and innocents, but he's not afraid to crack a couple of skulls on the way. The twist at the end is worth the read. Gorgeous art by Pacheco and, as always, spectacular writing by Millar.
Martin Yankov
It was okay, but nothing really special. The last issue was great, though, without it I would have given this 2 stars instead of 3.
I guess it's hard to come back after that horrible Ultimatum event destroyed everything in the ultimate imprint.
Tamahome
~ch 4: This is the real deal folks. I prefer artist Bryan Hitch but Carlos will do.

The art got lackluster towards the end. Not as good as The Ultimates but a nice weaker surrogate.
Scott
Alot of the Ultimate comics get a bad rap, but this one is very, different, to say the least, and pretty hardcore in parts. But it is written by the dude who did Kick-Ass, so there ya go.
Shannon Appelcline
Nice to have Millar back on a title that Loeb didn't do much good. I find the cloned set of characters for this title a little distracting, but otherwise it's good quality Ultimates.
Where this one lost me? Justin Timberlake as a method of torture. I know it was an attempt at being clever, but I just found it weak--as I found most of the story. Kind of a disappointment.
Amanda
Comics have gotten way gorier than the last time I read them. I still liked this, though I don't know all the backstory (does anyone know all the backstory?).
Friedrich
This reboot is almost as good as the first volumes of The Ultimates.
The art is really epic and there are many shockers.
It's a fun read.
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 18: Apocalypse
  • Ultimate Comics Iron Man: Armor Wars
  • Ultimatum: Requiem
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Vol. 9: Silver Surfer
Mark Millar is an award-winning Scottish comic book writer born in Coatbridge. Now a resident of Glasgow, Millar has been the highest selling British comic-book writer working in America this decade. His best known works include: The Authority, Ultimates 1 and 2, adaptations of Jack Kirby's and Stan Lee's Avengers, Wanted, Marvel Knights Spider-Man, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and Civil War. In Augus ...more
More about Mark Millar...
Kick-Ass Superman: Red Son Civil War Wanted The Ultimates