A Philosophy of Evil

A Philosophy of Evil

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Despite the overuse of the word in movies, political speeches, and news reports, “evil” is generally seen as either flagrant rhetoric or else an outdated concept: a medieval holdover with no bearing on our complex everyday reality. In A Philosophy of Evil, however, acclaimed writer/philosopher Lars Svendsen argues that evil remains a concrete moral problem: that we’re all...more
Published April 6th 2010 by Dalkey Archive Press (first published October 19th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Philosophy of Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Philosophy of Evil

Audrey
Lars Svendsen has written a very readable, at times fascinating, summary of the philosophical discussions surrounding the concept of evil. Since I spent a large part of my only college philosophy class fighting to stay awake, that's no small compliment. Svendsen, strange for a philosopher, has little patience for philosophies that have no traction in the real world, and perhaps that's why I found him so engaging.

That being said, his heart doesn't seem to be in the first half of the book, coveri...more
Ivan Marić
This is the first time I read a book similar theme and I must admit that Svendsen thrilled me. Although the book deals with the philosophical/moral/religious complicated subject, evil, it's very interesting and simply written. The book has great answers on questions: Why people do evil act? From where evil comes and are we all evil? Whether, under certain circumstances, we can do things that SS officers were doing? Particular emphasis is placed on religions which are trying to defend the almight...more
Matt Evans
This is far and away one of the best books I’ve ever read on the subject of evil -- real evil. And by “real evil” I mean, simply, evil as I’ve experienced it out in the real world. The book is well reasoned, impassioned, and refreshingly free from hysterical descriptions of what Mr. Svendsen calls “demonic evil”; i.e., evil performed for evil’s sake. Simply put, “demonic evil” doesn’t exist. But real evil -- instrumental evil, idealistic evil, and what Arendt called “stupid” or “banal” evil -- r...more
Trang
The author sheds some light on the definition of evil and comes up with suggestions on how to deal with it. According to Svedsen, humanity is the root of evil. Every of us is both good and evil. Though the portion of good and evil are varied for different individuals. Only when we come to accept that we're all capable of committing evil acts, that evil is not an external theology, do we stand a chance against it.

Truly, I found his theories fascinating and thought-provoking. I won't pretend that...more
Alexander
Very accessible read. Svendsen treats the subject action, side stepping arguments of evil as ontological conditions. He does an interesting job of juxtaposing choice/free will against both theological and scientific explanations of evil. Worth reading!
Jacob Wren
I think it's so strange how, in the opening chapter, he contradicts religious arguments by saying they're not rational. Why on earth should we expect religious arguments to be rational.
Andrea Bartlett
Very well researched and argued, and accessible at the same time. Well worth the read.
Scott
worth reading.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Nelson Calvinho
Nelson Calvinho marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Helene
Helene marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Ngoc
Ngoc marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Jelena
Jelena is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
Matei Laura
Matei Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Russell
Russell marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Rima Nassar gennaoui
Rima Nassar gennaoui is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
Henrik
Henrik added it
Jul 07, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Catherine Brown
Catherine Brown marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Andreia
Andreia marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Bobobo
Bobobo marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Lars Fredrik Händler Svendsen is a Norwegian author and philosopher who is professor at the University of Bergen. He has published several books translated into 24 languages. He is also engaged as project manager in the think tank Civita. In 2008 he was awarded the Meltzer Prize for outstanding research, and in 2010 he was awarded the prisoners Testament.

Bibliography:

2005: A Philosophy of Boredom...more
More about Lars Fr. H. Svendsen...
A Philosophy of Boredom Fashion - A Philosophy A Philosophy of Fear Work Hvad er filosofi?