Start by marking “More Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #2)” as Want to Read:
More Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #2)

More Tales of the City (Tales of the City #2)

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  11,208 Ratings  ·  429 Reviews
The internationally beloved classic comes to life in a Showtime miniseries.Few Works of Fiction have Blazed a Trail Through popular culture like Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City series. Since its publication as a daily newspaper serial in 1976, Maupin's incisive comedy of manners has expanded into six bestselling novels, the first of which became a highly acclaimed tel ...more
Published January 1st 1994 by Harper Perennial (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about More Tales of the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Tales of the City

Ivonne Rovira
Feb 08, 2014 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t realize how much I had missed Mrs. Madrigal, Mary Ann Singleton, Mona Ramsey, and Michael “Mouse” Tolliver until I began More Tales of the City, Armistead Maupin’s sequel to his spectacular Tales of the City. (Other books had gotten in the way.)

In the sequel, Mary Ann finally meets the man of her dreams — although he has nightmares of his own. Mouse, too, finds love while he narrowly escapes death. And through a serendipitous encounter in the Nevada desert, Mona finds out more about Mrs
Miss Michael
Apr 03, 2008 Miss Michael rated it it was amazing
I read about 250 pages this afternoon after a got off work, bringing me to the end of the book. If that's not a testimonial, I don't know what is.

Maupin is intensely readable. If you read from the Tales of the City series, his characters will become your friends. And, like me, you'll be glad he's written several books featuring them. I can't wait to read the next.

With the first one, I felt intrigue took a back seat to plain old human interest. With this one, the mystery we were left with at the
Mark
Mar 26, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A cracking follow-up to the first Tales of the City book. Preposterous as ever, but just as addictive. Maupin manages to tread a fine line between sentimentality and humour. What comes across is the fact that these characters love each other and the reader loves them in turn, becoming a vicarious member of the Barbary Lane family.
What really affected me when I first read these books, as a recently "out" Gay man, was the depiction and template they gave for Gay/Straight relationships. In the book
Fabian
Jul 21, 2014 Fabian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maupin is one of the best summer read writers. His Tales of the City trilogy is part sitcom, part kitsch, melodramatic and historic, irreverent and yet o-so dated, and damn if you cannot recognize his influence in groundbreaking TV, like "Sex and the City" and "Will and Grace". Things are explained, expanded, and the 4 or so separate strands of character destinies intertwine and repel each other at intervals that make the reader anticipate each and every episode. The ridiculousness will tickle y ...more
Kylan
Feb 06, 2016 Kylan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is something so remarkable about the way Armistead Maupin writes. It's so gossipy and intimate and I can't help but want to know more about everyone on Barbary Lane. I said it before and I'll say it again, I feel like I've been given an invite to the biggest gossip session in town, and I've been thrilled with every minute of it.

So great to read more about Mrs Madrigal, Michael, Mona, Brian and yes...Mary-Ann. Oh Mary-Ann, will you ever lose those ol' Connecticut ways?

I can't fault this se
Roberta
Jan 27, 2012 Roberta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, americana
Questo romanzo fa parte di una serie degli anni Settanta (originariamente pubblicata a puntate, almeno per quanto riguarda i primi libri) scritta da Armistead Maupin. Si tratta di libri ambientati nella San Francisco dello stesso periodo, in cui l'azione ruota intorno agli abitanti del condominio al 28 di Barbary Lane, la cui proprietaria è l'eccentrica Mrs. Madrigal (coltivatrice di marijuana che tratta i suoi affittuari più come figli, e se pensate che questo sia eccentrico, aspettate di legge ...more
Sara
Mar 25, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
I wound up, surprisingly given that I got off to a slow start with it, even more than the last one. I liked how Maupin ties together all the various plot lines and loose ends. This was also a lovely book to finish on Mother's Day as it talks a lot about the relationships between parents and children and what makes a family. Michael's coming out letter to his Mom and Dad was particularly touching.

Laurie –A Court of Books–
When my friend gave me this book, we had no idea that it was actually the second one of a series. It took me some chapter to get to understand fully each character but I found every one of them so touching. Mouse was my favorite, so funny and honest and a truly good friend to Mary Ann.

The plot was also very catchy and interesting, I really enjoyed this book. And the end... BREATH TAKING
David Schwan
Jan 22, 2014 David Schwan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More madcap adventures from the gang at 28 Barbary Lane. The first third of the book starts out a bit slowly but redeems itself after that. Many interesting revelations and plot twists and a few unanswered story lines.
Allie Riley
Mar 22, 2014 Allie Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slightly more macabre than the first one in places but still utterly fabulous. I *need* to read the rest of this wonderful series.
Armin Hennig
Zweiter Teil des mit leichter Hand und mit viel Mut zur Lücke zusammengetackerten Zyklus über swinging San Francisco in dem grenzenlose Promiskuität und political Correctness den Ton angeben.
Beim endgültigen Zuklappen des Buches lag das Patchwork bei gefühlten drei Sternen, doch der vollkommen unangemessene Vergleich mit Balzac auf der Rückseite weckt bei mir heftige Einsternreflexe. Andererseits lese ich den Zyklus ja auch, um die Untergrenzen beim mehrsträngigen Erzählen auszuloten und staune
Casey
Dec 29, 2016 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
This one is more soap-operay than Tales of the City but still so engrossing and enjoyable.
Andres
Sep 11, 2015 Andres rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Even though it's been more than a month since I finished the first book in the series I didn't have any problem diving back into the lives of the residents at 28 Barbary Lane. Picking up not long after the end of the previous volume, the story swings into action with gentle reminders of what happened before while moving ahead swiftly into the comic doings of most everyone from before and introducing some new folks.

The dark turn of events from before is dealt with in a completely believable manne
Cassie
May 25, 2012 Cassie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: San Francisco Residents, Soap Opera Loves, Readers
Recommended to Cassie by: San Francisco Chronicle
More Tales of the City
by Armistead Maupin

This book continues the characters that are introduced in Tales of the City, which is the first of this particular series. One of the things that makes this particular book interesting is that each chapter is relatively short, so it is quickly read and makes it easy for a reader to find a stopping point when they need to put it down for awhile. The reason for this ease isn't because Maupin wrote them this way as a book, but because the chapters are origi
Trudie
Nov 01, 2011 Trudie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Maupin must have wanted to write a mystery and decided to put it inside the context of the sequel to Tales of the City. I like the idea of going from genre to genre using the same characters and setting.
His books make me nostalgic for the 70's and remind me of the three trips I took to SF during that time. My youngest daughter lives there now. A big piece of my heart is in San Francisco and she's not wearing flowers in her hair. If I were funny, I'd like to funny like Michael Tolliver. I think
_inbetween_
Disliked first quarter, since it excluded me like many (gay or het) books; then Maupin inserted some moping out of the blue (p. 77 and 119 has Michael long for someone and state the truth that only those not caring about it are never alone) and I remembered that I had liked the end of the first book - he seems to do that in each one, throw in some extreme crime/thriller thing. Doesn't make the writing better, or a novel out of the short fragments. Wish I had less other books to read, incl. five ...more
Sean Kennedy
Nov 12, 2010 Sean Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second set of adventures with the residents of Barbary Lane in San Francisco. This is the last 'fun' book before things start to become definitely more weirder and the eighties start to bring in the more tragic plot elements. Although I love the series, Maupin isn't particularly successful at explaining his own continuity - and by that I mean why certain things happen 'between' books, and you're left feeling that that strains credulity more than the bizarre plot twists.
Alex
Jul 21, 2009 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Readable? yes. Enjoyable? yes. But you sort of feel empty after reading this, in much the same way soap operas are diverting. Maupin tries to combine many disparate elements to form this sort of stew of crazy events that are only held together by his incredible sense of character. Loved the people, hated the plot: does this make sense?
Earl
Sep 05, 2015 Earl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Chock-full of surprises and scandalous secrets, this kept me up all night! Seriously, "just one more chapter" is impossible once you know the characters. And, probably even if you didn't, the sometimes outlandish situations they get themselves into will keep you turning pages!
Greg Z
Oct 21, 2015 Greg Z rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Refreshingly free of any literary aspirations, these short stories are perfect for bedtime, perfect for a quick break during a hectic day, or perfect for an entire afternoon. As the 1970's Disco Decade closes and Maupin takes us into the 80s, days darken in Frisco. Still, memory lane beckons us on.
Alex
Jul 22, 2015 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As entertaining, warm, and jovial of a read as the first. The chapters breeze by like the wind at Ocean Beach. The characters are a delight and their adventures illustrate vividly what San Francisco life was like in various social circles in the late 1970s.
Krithika
Feb 28, 2013 Krithika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Clichéd, with all the loose ends tied up, this left me with an overly saccharine aftertaste in my mouth.
Natanoj
Very entertaining! You'll have finished this book before you know it. At first, it all seems a bit over the top, too absurd. But you fall in love with the characters before you know it!
Harriett
Mar 28, 2009 Harriett rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't know why I bothered. After reading Maupin once there are no surprises and he is nothing if not tedious!
Sara
Jan 04, 2009 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
I re-read this series about every 2 years or so. Never ceases to make me laugh or cry. I love all these characters.
Alise
Feb 05, 2013 Alise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice and unpretentious, good book for a lazy day.
Meghan
More of the same.
Tiphaine Laisnez
Un coup de <3 encore une fois pour ce deuxième tome ! Vivement la suite !
Allison
Jun 29, 2014 Allison rated it really liked it
so good! i am hooked.
Chris Hyde
Nov 23, 2016 Chris Hyde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm working my way through the "Tales of the City" series. I thoroughly enjoy both of the first two books. "More Tales of the City" continues the tale with the same cast of characters as in the first book. These are simple, fun books to read. The highlight of this book was learning of the origins of landlady, Anna Madrigal. Another great "guilty pleasure" book. On to book #3!
Goodreads Librari...: page count for 0060924799 2 14 Mar 04, 2016 01:58AM
Armistead Maupin ...: More Tales of the City 1 1 Oct 27, 2014 06:09PM
  • The Lord Won't Mind (Peter & Charlie Trilogy)
  • Blue Heaven
  • I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
  • The Front Runner (Harlan's Story, #1)
  • The Beauty of Men
  • Afterlife
  • Family Dancing
  • The Beautiful Room Is Empty
  • Kept Boy
  • Goldenboy (Henry Rios Mystery, #2)
  • Like People in History
  • Openly Bob
  • The Best Little Boy in the World
  • The Men from the Boys
  • Changing Tides
  • Conduct Unbecoming: Gays and Lesbians in the Us Military
Armistead Maupin was born in Washington, D.C., in 1944 but grew up in Raleigh, North Carolina. A graduate of the University of North Carolina, he served as a naval officer in the Mediterranean and with the River Patrol Force in Vietnam.

Maupin worked as a reporter for a newspaper in Charleston, South Carolina, before being assigned to the San Francisco bureau of the Associated Press in 1971. In 19
More about Armistead Maupin...

Tales of the City (9 books)
  • Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #1)
  • Further Tales of the City (Tales of the City, #3)
  • Babycakes (Tales of the City, #4)
  • Significant Others
  • Sure of You (Tales of the City, #6)
  • Michael Tolliver Lives (Tales of the City, #7)
  • Mary Ann in Autumn (Tales of the City, #8)
  • The Days of Anna Madrigal (Tales of the City, #9)

“Laugh all you want and cry all you want and whistle at pretty men in the street and to hell with anybody who thinks you're a damned fool!” 2181 likes
“Oh, Mona, we're all damned fools! Some of us just have more fun with it than others. Loosen up, dear! Don't be so afraid to cry . . . or laugh, for that matter. Laugh all you want and cry all you want and whistle at pretty men in the street and to hell with anybody who thinks you're a damned fool!” 27 likes