Start by marking “Our Little Secret: The True Story of a Teenager Killer and the Silence of a Small New England Town” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The true story of a teenage killer and the silence of a small New England town.

For twenty years Daniel Paquette's murder in New Hampshire went unsolved. It remained a secret between two high school friends until Eric Windhurst's arrest in 2005. What was revealed was a crime born of adolescent passion between Eric and Daniel's stepdaughter, Melanie- redefining the meanin
Published May 4th 2010 by Berkley (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Our Little Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Little Secret

Dirk
Book review “Our Little Secret” By Kevin Flynn and Rebecca Lavoie

First of all let me make this real clear, this is not a novel and because it is not a novel it must be assumed that all the information is true and factual. There is no twist at the end, there is no hidden agenda, the book is written to cover the entire time span as it happened. The only real problem is fitting your mind around the fact that the time span was about 20 years.

If one was to read the jacket of the book you would find
Stacy
I don't think you could make up something like this if you tried. I've never felt so conflicted after reading a book. Maybe because it's true, and not a work of fiction.
I'm amazed it took 20 years for this case to be "solved" even though it seems everyone knew who pulled the trigger. I find it very frustrating. I'm not sure which side I'm supposed to be on. At one point in the book I'd feel bad for someone, and then a few pages later I was thinking they were scum. I was all over the place, but
Waven
Although the cover promises blood, intrigue, and the complicity of an entire town, it delivers little of that. There is, however, the rather interesting story of two teenagers and a murder on the books - unsolved - for roughly 20 years. Authors Flynn and Lavoie open this true-life story in the recent past, in prison, speaking with an inmate about the crime that landed him there. Then they back up, to a fall day in 1985, laying out the crime itself. From there it's largely a chronological journey ...more
Donna Siebold
The 1985 murder of Danny Paquette remained unsolved until 2005. It turned out that Danny's step-daughter, Melanie, had asked a friend of hers, Eric Windhurst, to kill Danny. She claimed that he had molested her. This claim has never been proven. But, her friend, a teenage boy full of testosterone and apparently not much sense, told her he would do the deed. Part of the reason it took so long to solve this crime was that Danny was killed by a phenomally skillfull marksman. Most people could not f ...more
Mary Ronan Drew
Jul 16, 2014 Mary Ronan Drew rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Virginia Turner Drew
Our Little Secret is the story of the murder in 1985 of Danny Paquette. By all accounts he was a hard worker and a skilled welder, and he had a work ethic that wouldn't quit. But he was also a child molester and tortured a young girl. He burned animals to death with his welding torch and told her she was next if she told anyone "our little secret." He routinely beat up his girlfriends.

So when his 15-year-old step-daughter told the captain of her soccer team what he had done and her fear of the m
Paula Mercier
This book came to me in a typical way, a 6th grade teacher/colleague found it on her school bookshelf and didn't think it seemed appropriate for younger kids. I have had it on my to-be-read-before-I-put-it-on-my-shelf pile for a year or more now. This is my first true-crime book ever, it was interesting to say the least. I would not recommend it for eighth graders, and it will not be going on my shelf for sure. That said, as a full grown person, I loved this book in the same way that you can't l ...more
Katie
I enjoy True Crime and this was a good one to read. Does leave a few questions unanswered, but also provides a really great look at police work over a 20 year span. Certainly a town secret that people are still holding onto. Good read.
Vickie
Moved to Hooksett 6 months before this murder and lived right down the street from the house where it happened. So unreal that all this was going on right under our nose!!
♥ Marlene♥
Good read. Do not expect a cruel murder book but this one is all about the details. Very well written which is why the book is good.
Michelle Silvestri-Oetinger
Very interesting...espescially having lived only a few towns from Hooksett.Sad and scary what people will and don't do!!!
Amanda
I like the way this book is written and found the story compelling.
Ericka
Ok, well.. .. .. Uh.
Ok. So, I think the subject is interesting. I wanted to read it because it was cheap and it was local history to me. I could seriously drive to the location and stand on or near the spot where this piece of New Hampshire history occured.

But this was so poorly written I really just wanted this book to end. The author has no grasp of researching, writing, editing and organizing information in a way that flows smoothly or entertains. I'm sorry but the author needed to either be
♥Belleza★✰
On November 9, 1985 Danny Paquette was murdered, on August 21, 2006 his murderer pleaded guilty to second degree murder. This book is the account of a secret kept for twenty years. The reasons were varied, some kept the secret because of loyalty to the murderer, some because they were afraid of him and his family and some because they felt Danny Paquette deserved to die.

The shooting was at one time ruled an accident, through the efforts of the victim’s brother and the dedication of a young patro
Izabela
Excellent! This book read like a mystery novel at the beginning, something I really appreciate in my true crime reads. It lost a bit of its momentum when it began to get into the killer's past, but it never came to a dead stop. It was full of wonderful details about the townsfolk, great quotes, and it was beautifully written. The only thing lacking was a good description of the crime itself. For those who don't like a lot of blood and guts, this is definitely one of the best true crime books out ...more
Amy Johnson
Can't believe Eric Kimball Windhurst was sentenced to that long in jail! Sheesh. It's a pity. And the Parquettes are nothing but common trailer trash! Can't believe they say what they do & get away with it about their no-account dead relative. And Melanie obviously has issues, but who wouldn't? This book needs to be told by someone nonpartisan. Or, someone on Eric's side. I was boiling mad by the time I laid it down.
Julie
Kristina
Interesting story, but very matter of fact. Not very suspenseful.
Jodie
Pretty standard true crime book. Intriguing tale with some moral questions at the center.
Indra
I'd say 3.5. Good, interesting, plenty of contradictions, conflict, and weird little connections between players that would happen in a small community. I'm not surprised it took so long to be "solved"-small towns seem to be the ideal Petri dish for the "maybe it will go away, it's not up to me" mentality to live. The killer's motive was a bit of a question mark. This case reminded me of the Cheryl Pierson case in "A Deadly Silence".
Kristy
Overall decent story; it's a true story and I tend to prefer reading fiction, however this was an intriguing story so I figured I'd read it. If you enjoy reading true stories I am sure you will probably enjoy this story much more than I. The writing was good and the story itself was intriguing but I had to give it 3 stars because I am just not a fan of non-fiction - they tend to be too frustrating and slow-paced.
Dpalange44
Interesting story but not very well written. I never heard of this before it happened in New Hampshire.
Heather
A story that I had heard very little about initially. Being from a neighboring town, it was interesting to read about this case and the people involved; I recognized many of the places and people mentioned. I would've liked to see more photos included.
Jenn
This isn't an exciting murder mystery. This book is a factual account of the crime and the police effort to find the killer. It was interesting to read, but sort of left you with the feeling that you don't really know exactly what happened.
Elizabeth
I knew this family when I was growing up in hopkinton many years ago. I moved away a long time ago and was shocked this happened. It was an interesting read since I knew most of the people.
Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym)
A random airport read; clumsily written in parts, often dull, but somewhat illuminating in helping me solidify ideas for something I may start writing soon.
Suzie Flohr
Really liked this book. Don't wont to spoil anyones read but well written and didn't go on and on about the court case. Highly recommend.
Jen
Good book. Kinda crazy cause it happened in the next town over from us. It was weird to read about familiar places.
Paige
Eh. It was ok. I figured it out pretty early which made the rest of the book feel superfluous.
Kindra Zepeda rodriguez
The book started better than it ended.
Jamie
Great story!
  • Pure Murder
  • Death Trap
  • Tacoma Confidential: A True Story of Murder, Suicide, and a Police Chief's Secret Life
  • Portrait of a Monster: Joran van der Sloot, a Murder in Peru, and the Natalee Holloway Mystery
  • Under the Bridge: The True Story of the Murder of Reena Virk
  • By Their Father's Hand: The True Story of the Wesson Family Massacre
  • To the Last Breath
  • Erased: Missing Women, Murdered Wives
  • Beyond Belief: The Moors Murderers. The Story of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.
  • A Warrant to Kill
  • Cruel Deception
  • The Darkest Night: The Murder of Innocence in a Small Town
  • Finding Chandra: A True Washington Murder Mystery
  • Fred & Rose
Kevin Flynn is the author of four true crime books: "Wicked Intentions," "Our Little Secret," "Legally Dead," and "Notes on a Killing." He has appeared on such TV shows as "Unusual Suspects," "Deadly Women," "Killer Instinct," "Deadly Sins," "Pretty Bad Girls," "Nightmare Next Door," and "On the Case with Paula Zahn." He has also written for such publications as Playboy and playboy.com.

Kevin's pri
More about Kevin Flynn...
Notes on a Killing: Love, Lies, and Murder in a Small New Hampshire Town Legally Dead Wicked Intentions: The Sheila LaBarre Murders -- A True Story