Start by marking “How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad” as Want to Read:
How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad

How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,656 Ratings  ·  74 Reviews
The third edition of a practical rule book for becoming an investment professional. It offers guidance for those who want to make smart investments - even if they've never owned stocks before. This updated edition includes new concepts, improved chart graphics and new research tools. Key issues include: making money reading the daily financial pages; picking the best ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 272 pages
Published May 23rd 2002 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published 1988)

Jim
Jan 28, 2012 Jim rated it did not like it
Horrible book filled with useless garbage and nonsense. Basically, a get rich quick by using my subscribing to my website scam. Author's technical investing strategies are presented in a very non-rigorous and non-compelling manner. He uses examples but any idiot can cherry pick a few examples to prove a point. That does not make a convincing argument.

I could belabor my point with more examples but instead I recommend 2 much more insightful and informative books on investing: The Warren Buffet W
Curtis
Oct 20, 2008 Curtis rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Curtis by: Dave Maddock
I've read a few investment books, and this is the most comprehensive system I've found for determining when EXACTLY to enter and exit positions. The consistent, unemotional method that O'Neil provides has helped me immensely in thinking about and executing my investing strategies.
Matt
Sep 16, 2011 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
William O'Neil's book made me want to give up fantasy sports and take up investing. It seems like the time I spend reviewing an athlete's past performance and projecting future ones could be better spent on researching stocks, something that could actually make me money and possibly provide a similar stimulation.

How to Make Money in Stocks teaches readers how to identify good companies that are about to become great and then how to determine if and when to buy their stock. The mnemonic CAN SLIM
Wayne
Nov 12, 2008 Wayne rated it it was ok
Overall I think that the author has some good information that he is strying to get across, but unfortunately I felt that his writing and education style was poor. For a subject that I generally find very interesting, it was a dry book that I was definitely ready to put down once I reached the end. This is more of a reflection of his presentation of the information rather than is message.
Raphael Bernardo
Jul 21, 2014 Raphael Bernardo rated it really liked it
I mostly read biographies and other non fiction. Even so this was a hard read for me because it was packed with theories and data or history to back it up. Maybe a few personal stories here and there(I read those faster). I had this book in my house for a while but didn't realize it was a classic until I read Michael Lewis's The Big Short, and found one of the people who saw the crash coming(and made 100+million off of it) had been using this method as a guide along with other sets of ...more
erjan avid reader
i swept through this book and got a detailed overview of it.

It is for long term investing - 6-18 months. The learning rate using canslim is very low, because you have to spend weeks, months before your forecast proves wrong or right!

Right now, this is not what i want, so i close this book, after reading most important parts: common mistakes and cup and handle pattern.

About 40% of this book is full of charts, and you will spend considerable amount of time reading them.

overall, the book advertise
Ash Turki
Feb 13, 2016 Ash Turki rated it it was ok
this book is more about speculating but not investing all the methods explained are good in theory not in practice for instance talkin about eps .. theres so many different kinds of eps comming from selling thier assets or things like that would be misjudged by new or unexperienced investors, moreover, talking about techinical analysis, why would the writer attack everybody who dont believe in technical analysis, this is a very weak way to convince the readers by technical analysis besides ...more
JP
Jul 05, 2013 JP rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The foundation of this classic by William O'Neil is his CANSLIM framework. He adds a richness of other ideas, including learning when to buy, when to sell, and how to develop your own style. The book is also filled with charts throughout, such that you sometimes need set it aside and return later with fresh eyes. The 4th edition includes data back into the 19th century all the way through the 2008 financial crisis. I'm glad I took the recommendation for this book made to me by a master ...more
Michael
Nov 05, 2009 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trading
I traded the O'Neil CANSLIM method covered in this book for about 8% a month 10 years ago. Having daytraded for 2.5 years in recent years, I probably wouldn't be comfortable trading this method during the current economic situation.

The CANSLIM is great for finding quality stocks. One could apply it to a shorter time frame than suggested in the book and still be trading a strong stock, which of course gives you greater chances for a successful trade. Sounds simple doesn't it. Ha!
Ian Cassel
Jan 16, 2016 Ian Cassel rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the author's strategy. As a microcap investor in very illiquid securities I'm not that big of a proponent of technical analysis. I enjoyed his thoughts on selling, specifically keeping your losses small.
Katie O'bryan
Aug 27, 2015 Katie O'bryan rated it it was amazing
A momentum investor, watch the charts, look for signs of heavy & tightly traded institutional interest for 4 to 5 weeks, cup & handle patterns, cut losses at 8%, & only work with the absolute best in terms of fundamentals.
Frederic Kerr
Mar 14, 2015 Frederic Kerr rated it it was ok
This is a good primer on charts as an investment tool, but charts should never be the prime method by which people choose investments. O'Neil is the founder of the Investor's Business Daily newspaper, which focuses mostly on charts.
aldo
seems still relevan to use in stock market including jakarta composite.CAN SLIM is powerful strategy for picking the best stock
Miranda Prather
Nov 28, 2014 Miranda Prather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome resource! I learned so much from reading this book. Still at the starting point, but ready to make better decisions. Thank you!
Marco den Ouden
Sep 07, 2015 Marco den Ouden rated it it was amazing
See my review here: How to Make Money in Stocks
Ardi Nursyamsu
Sep 14, 2014 Ardi Nursyamsu rated it really liked it
It's a good companion after you finished some of Market Wizard series.
Nishu
Oct 14, 2015 Nishu rated it did not like it
M unable to open and read.. What hell is this
Mido Gamal
Jun 15, 2014 Mido Gamal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: عربى
ﻛﺘﺎﺏ ﺍﻛﺜﺮ من
Edward Kuruliouk
Nov 02, 2016 Edward Kuruliouk rated it it was amazing
Best investment book I've read my a light year.
Ryan
Apr 03, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic-economics
Worth your time if you’ve learned the basics of investing and want to go a little deeper. O’Neil’s philosophy revolves around identifying strong companies in leading industries, and buying them at the right point in time. The idea is that anyone can do well in a bull market (1982-2000, 2003-2008), but you can do better with a portfolio of market leaders. Even if they seem expensive at first glance -- once-costly stocks like Apple, after all, went on to far greater highs. O’Neil’s CANSLIM ...more
Kim
Sep 20, 2016 Kim rated it liked it
More about the stock market.
But Everything is relative, I may need some new updated knowledge, but also do the right things with any opportunity I have. This is the first book about stocks I have ever read.
Loren
Oct 15, 2010 Loren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money
This was really rough at first and I hated it, mostly because I couldn't understand a damned thing I was reading. The very first 100 pages are stock charts...with no narrative. Even though my interest went up as I continued through the book, this beginning was very frustrating. One of the first things I learned in my science and math classes was how to properly label and display graphs, so that anyone looking at them can understand what the relationships are. I realize that in the world of stock ...more
Grazyna Nawrocka
Mar 21, 2013 Grazyna Nawrocka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finances
It is a very concise and hard to read book that requires focus and attention. I had love/hate relationship with it. It took me a few months to get through it (the first time). The book questions old belief in buying cheap and selling expensive. Mr. O'Neil attempts to teach intuitive interpretation of charts, and shares from the wealth of his experience and knowledge. I wish I could learn from the less demanding source. Although main target audience for the book are speculators who want to commit ...more
K. E. Hawkins
Aug 11, 2011 K. E. Hawkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a classic for investing in individual stocks and understanding stock market charts. His research is not based on personal opinion, but historical data of winning stocks over decades. His book is written to educate the reader to allow personal analyzes of market conditions and stock performance along with correct timing techniques and guarding against heavy loses.

A great deal of information and it will probably need to be reread a few times to absorb it all. But, the information is h
Adam
Jan 07, 2014 Adam rated it it was amazing
I seldom ever made a dime trading stocks until I learned O'Neil's CAN SLIM system. If you're looking to set aside everything you know about investing or get started invested, I would highly recommend adding this book to your library. It's a great strategy that has been proven to help you apply hard facts to your research rather than relying on hunches. The system also has sound logic and structure behind it whereas most investment books tend to be more grounded in talk and less on action.
Luke
Dec 28, 2010 Luke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: investing, stocks
This book is an excellent foundation for understanding the stock market. Bill O'Neil does a great job explaining why it is possible to make money by investing and/or trading stocks. His CAN SLIM methodology focuses on using historical studies to find chart patterns of fundamentally strong companies. These chart patterns are based on human psychology, which does not change and affects crowd behavior.
James Miller
Apr 13, 2010 James Miller rated it liked it
Althogh O'neil denies it, he is a momentum trader - just a very good one. Some of the technical analysis stuff in the book was a little bit over the top in my opinion. But other strategies like only buying stocks with 3 consecutive quarters of high EPS growth make a lot of sense. O'neil also bashes on value investing. Overall, this book is not very good if you don't know anything about investing, but great if u are looking to add a little edge to your strategy.

Coral
Jun 12, 2008 Coral rated it liked it
I'm taking a personal finance class and this is one of the text books. So far, it's interesting and written for someone who has only a small amount of knowledge about the stock market (i.e., myself).

So...given that I had the highest bank account value in my class's stock simulation project, I guess the lessons in this book proved themselves. Definitely not the most interesting book, but written pretty clear and to the point.
Karen
Jun 22, 2012 Karen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Again, saw this at the library. It looked good. The guy who wrote this is the founder of Investor's Business Daily. I skimmed through the book and he was identifying what things meant (e.g. PER) and talking about how we are not looking at the right things or making the right interpretations. Anyhow this looked really good!
Anthony
Jan 07, 2008 Anthony rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in momentum investing
Excellent book highlighting the CANSLIM method for picking stocks. It essentially shows what various stocks that have previously skyrocked have in common and gives the reader a guideline to pick other potential stocks. Geared not toward the value invester, but toward the momentum investor who is thinking more short term.
Recorded great in astoundingl 1 1 Jan 27, 2016 09:39PM
How to pick hot stocks 2 12 Nov 01, 2013 05:05PM
  • How I Made $2,000,000 In The Stock Market
  • What Works on Wall Street: A Guide to the Best-Performing Investment Strategies of All Time
  • How to Trade in Stocks
  • Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management
  • High Probability Trading: Take the Steps to Become a Successful Trader
  • Beyond Candlesticks: New Japanese Charting Techniques Revealed
  • Way of the Turtle: The Secret Methods That Turned Ordinary People Into Legendary Traders
  • Hot Commodities : How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market
  • Trend Following: Learn to Make Millions in Up or Down Markets
  • Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom
  • Trader Vic--Methods of a Wall Street Master
  • Stock Market Wizards: Interviews with America's Top Stock Traders
  • The Disciplined Trader: Developing Winning Attitudes
  • A Beginner's Guide to Day Trading Online
  • Beating the Street
  • Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets: A Comprehensive Guide to Trading Methods and Applications
  • Rule #1: The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week!
  • Stan Weinstein's Secrets For Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets
William J. O'Neil is a stock trader, entrepreneur and writer, who founded the business newspaper Investor's Business Daily and the stock brokerage firm William O'Neil & Co. Inc. He is the creator of the CAN SLIM investment strategy.

He studied business at Southern Methodist University, received a Bachelor's degree and served in the United States Air Force.
More about William J. O'Neil...

“The whole secret to winning big in the stock market is not to be right all the time, but to lose the least amount possible when you’re wrong.” 1 likes
“The moral of the story is: never argue with the market. Your health and peace of mind are always more important than any stock.” 1 likes