Start by marking “Climbing Higher” as Want to Read:
Climbing Higher

Climbing Higher

In 1999, after almost twenty years of symptoms, Montel Williams, a decorated naval officer and Emmy Award-winning talk show host, was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. He was struck with denial, fear, depression, and anger, and now he's battling back. Graced with strong values, courage, and hard-won wisdom, he shares his insights in this powerful book on the divergent roa ...more
Published January 4th 2005 by NAL (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Climbing Higher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Climbing Higher

Dec 24, 2015 Lynnea rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, ms
It was very interesting to read Montel's struggle with his MS diagnosis, his symptoms, and then how he turned around his attitude to one of fighting.

At the end of the book Montel wonders why there are diseases like MS. Whether it is true or not, it is a way to have a positive outlook: He explains that maybe some diseases are adaptations to learn how to boost and treat our immune system so that maybe generations from now we will be smarter, stronger, and healthier.

Montel was EXTREMELY open and r
Aug 13, 2011 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an amazing uplifting autobiography/inspirational book. Montel has Multiple Sclerosis, like me, however this book is a must read for anyone with a disease/disability or a closeone that is. He is very funny! But very motivational and uplifting. He has been through a lot. I loved his candor, I loved the pace and writing style. I am glad it was recommended to me. I am going to make my husband read it next, and when my children are older...them also. It is hard to understand what a perso ...more
Apr 22, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a very easy read and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I was never a great big fan of his because he was always the Pollyanna type believing a good attitude and a strong belief system will get you through anything. That always irritates me and pushes my buttons!
In Climbing Higher he is very frank about his road trip with MS. How he felt right after being diagnosed. He talks about his career and childhood briefly, his symptoms and marriage & relationship problems.

I won't spoil t
Jodi Yorston
Mar 04, 2014 Jodi Yorston rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone struggling with a disease and feels lonely and frustrated.
What a raw story! I felt his pain and understood his frustrations. I wish I had his money so I could go to the best neurologist in the world and get answers. Montel has changed the way the world has viewed MS and how "alternative" treatments can help way better than the drugs that only cause more side effects.
Denise DiFalco
Mar 26, 2016 Denise DiFalco rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: own, favorites
Perhaps one of the most motivating books I ever read. This book came to me at one of my lowest points in life. I had been diagnosed with tarlov cyst disease and multiple spinal disorder conditions. I had to go on permanent disability although I loved my career. In ways, this book saved my life.
I finally felt there were others that understood the frustration and depression that I was going through. I have since read and re-read this inspirational book. Bravo, Montel for being so blunt and forthco
Sep 04, 2015 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
A fascinating read and lots of great information about the experience of MS.
May 29, 2008 Barbara rated it really liked it
I really knew little about Montel Williams, other than his television persona, prior to reading this book. It's a fast-read and a frank memoir which goes pretty deeply into his MS diagnosis and the daily challenges of living with MS and the treatment options currently available. I had no idea that Montel had graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and was a decorated Marine. Impressive, to say the least. I'm grateful that he continues to use his celebrity to raise money for MS research and find hi ...more
Chandrea Collins
Feb 14, 2012 Chandrea Collins rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time rating this book. In a slight way, at times, it did uplift me. Of course, that is his job after all. Montel Williams job here was not only to tell his story but to sell books. As anyone with MS knows there may be some who can out do Montel in a day without using the methods he does. What about the others who can not? And just for giggles do you really feel using his methods are going to change things that much? In my opinion, no. This reader was disappointed!
Aug 28, 2013 Homeschoolmami01 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for anyone who has MS or has a loved one affected by MS. Since my brother's diagnosis, I have been trying to read as much as I can about MS. The insight I have received from reading this book is priceless. I do believe this book would be encouraging for anyone being affected by major illness.
Dec 29, 2012 Brandy rated it it was ok
It's hard for me to review this book. At times I felt that it was an uplifting motivational story. But that is what he does. Right? But I just felt the book was filled with marketing of he & his method of treatment for him. I just found that slightly selfish & complete disregard for others with MS & their methods.
Oct 27, 2013 Andrea rated it liked it
It was really interesting to read about Montel's struggles with MS. I had not heard of this book until a colleague handed it to me last week. It was a good read and gave me some perspective. It was really interesting to think about how much progress has been made with the treatment of MS in the last 10-15 years.
Jun 27, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
learned that everyone, no matter what they have in their life, can have down moments and worry just like the rest of us and that we can all learn from others..I enjoyed it took away an even greater appreciation of Montel than I had before...he always tells it straight.
Aug 06, 2011 Maria rated it did not like it
eh. Im a hard one on this subject-Im living with MS for over 20 years and 3 other diseases - I dont respect his paid sponsorship of dangerous MS drugs that are killing people daily. not cool Montel.I have sick friends that got sicker from MS drugs.
Jun 18, 2011 April rated it it was amazing
Living with Fibromyalgia, it was nice that Montel shared his personal journey and how he is affected with his pain on a daily basis. I had never known that Montel suffered with MS, especially watching him on t.v., so he really inspired me.
Oct 16, 2008 Marissa added it
Shelves: non-fiction
Since I worked for the man for 3 years, I don't think I'm allowed to review this in any sort of public forum. I own this book and I read it.
David Glenn Dixon
Jan 03, 2009 David Glenn Dixon rated it it was ok
The true shame of MS is that the best popular book about it was written by Montel.
May 10, 2010 Robbin rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
This was a great book. It makes you appreciate what a great guy Montel seems to be.
Trish Bahrenfuss
Feb 11, 2013 Trish Bahrenfuss rated it really liked it
Interesting book about Multiple Sclerosis. Montel Williams tells all.
Jan 05, 2009 Lynnette is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody
I'll write about it after I've finished reading it.
Sep 04, 2007 Jo rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: biography
A great book to give insight and inspire.
Dec 15, 2008 Robin rated it did not like it
This book was pretty terrible.
Mar 26, 2010 Tori rated it really liked it
Appreciated his brutal honesty.
Jul 10, 2008 Toni rated it really liked it
Very easy to read and put into words some things I was struggling with. I would recommend it as a way to deal with any obstacles in life.
Kristen marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
The Unknown
The Unknown marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Kara Hardin
Kara Hardin marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Tomasia marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Patty Demyda
Patty Demyda rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2016
  • Awkward Bitch: My Life with MS
  • Fall Down, Laughing: How Squiggy Caught Multiple Sclerosis and Didn't Tell Nobody
  • Hero of the Underground: A Memoir
  • Looking for Mary: (Or, the Blessed Mother and Me)
  • An Exclusive Love: A Memoir
  • Saving Grace
  • Never Again: Securing America and Restoring Justice
  • The Ultimate Weight Solution Food Guide
  • História, História: Two Years in the Cape Verde Islands
  • Un-Nappily in Love (Nappily, #6)
  • Playing My Mother's Blues
  • Behalt das Leben lieb
  • Evil Eyes
Montel Brian Anthony Williams is an American celebrity and former television talk show host.
More about Montel Williams...