Start by marking “Once A Rake” as Want to Read:
Once A Rake

Once A Rake

Irresistible Seduction Only Leads To. . .

War had scarred the Earl of Ashby's face...and perhaps his soul. Before being wounded in the Napoleonic war and shunning society, the dashing lord had been a notorious rake. Now, Isabel Aubrey, a proper lady, dares to approach the masked, reclusive nobleman for a large donation to a worthy charity--and decides she must save him fr
Published December 1st 2007 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Once A Rake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once A Rake

Catherine
I am so mad at this book right now! What happened?!?!? Everything was going nicely until page 295. That page is where the book went bipolar on me and made me hate it.

In the beginning we're treated to a sweet love story. Paris has been reclusive after his return from the war and Isabel is finally determined to lure him into spending time with her. She had a bit of puppy love for him when she was younger. Paris was best friend to her older brother, Will, and whenever they would get leave from the
Pepa
Ha estado bien. Entretenido, de las novelas de antes. Con giros, malentendidos y amores pasionales que vienen desde la infancia
Admito que ha empezado muy bien, pero luego la historia se me ha vuelto algo repetitiva. Con ciertasactitudes que no he entendido muy bien y otras que me han dejado ojiplática (más con la intención, creo, de continuar dándole vueltas al mismo tema que para que la historia avance)
En mi opinión hay escenas de hot gratuitas que poco aportan más que el disfrute del lector
Una
Tammy
I loved this heart-warming book and was thrilled to discover a new author. Once a Rake was a breath of fresh air for me -a very nice change after the stacks of contemporary romances that I have been reading lately.

Isabel and Ashby were wonderful characters with strong personalities. Their developing relationship was very sweet and (eventually) very sexy. I personally thought that the flashbacks to their younger years were well-written. The villan was horrible and the various subplots were inter
Fani *loves angst*
Amy
Dec 27, 2007 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very long book (almost 450 pages), but a very good book -- I couldn't put it down!

In this heartwarming story, the strong, troubled, lonely and handsome Paris, Earl of Ashby leaves England to fight Napoleon with his best friend Will and returns with physical as well as emotional scars, which include not returning with his best friend Will. He returns with what he left behind, which is an even stronger love for Will's little sister Isabel. -- From amazon.com

This is a wicked and sensual story as
Alyssa
Oct 31, 2012 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Could hardly put it down. Well worth the read.
LWB Marissa
Sep 14, 2009 LWB Marissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once, the dashing major and Earl of Ashby was the most notorious rake of London, women swoon when they saw him, but that all changed when a canon-shell exploded in his face during the war with Napoleon. Devastated and feeling guilty over the death of his best friend Will, he retreats to his London townhouse, shuns society and lives as a recluse. Until she shows up at his doorstep, asking him to support her charity. The little girl, Isabel Aubrey, he once knew as Will’s little sister has full-gro ...more
Abeer Hoque
Dec 04, 2010 Abeer Hoque rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been skipping reviewing the trashy romances I read, but that's snobby, plus since I've not read anything else in a month due to reader's block, this accounts for my time. Do note that my star rating is necessarily on a different scale.

Elitist caveats aside, "Once a Rake" had some decent character development and snappy banter, and despite a predictable plot and stereotyped characters (the golden innocent beauty, the scarred brooding hero), the story paces along, until about halfway through
Erin
Jun 07, 2011 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book turned out much better than I expected. I almost didn't read it because of some of the bad reviews. Rona Sharon did an excellent job with this story. I don't believe there is any way she could have shortened it and still made it believable. All the problems don't just go away once the hero and heroine figure out they are in love! She had to take us through the process of someone changing so the reader would feel satisfied in the end that the love would last forever. The only thing I di ...more
Montse
Jan 06, 2014 Montse rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No me encantó, ese final fue taaan arggg

Y no me gustó como manejaban a los personajes secundarios, casi siempre me quedo prendada de las historias secundarias, si están bien manejadas, y de la historia de su amiga desdichada, me hubiera gustado saber más. Siento que lo puso solo como de relleno por que nunca terminó de decirnos nada sobre ellos...

Bahhh espero que el año continúe mejor con las lecturas! :/
Pumpkin
I like it when the characters are in love and together earlier in a romance and the conflicts are external. I'll usually also accept a romance if it's set in this time period much more readily than I will a modern setting romance novel. Sort of 'Phantom of the Opera' meets 'Little Women'. Sort of.
Brenda (b)
I love a tormented, scarred hero who finds salvation with his true love. The only draw back to the story was the age difference - once I forced myself to ignore that I enjoyed reading how Ashby and Isabel overcame the obstacles in their path.
Leigh
Oct 06, 2008 Leigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This poor author keeps getting saddled with cheesetastic covers. It's a shame, because this book is wonderful and Rona Sharon should be a lot more popular than she is.
Anja
Apr 07, 2010 Anja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: c, w-az, r-a
4.5
Addicted to Books
Mitzi
Book 2. Pretty good but not as good as My Wicked Pirate.
Jo
Jul 06, 2015 Jo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
** spoiler alert ** Mi primer amor.
Así es como clasifico a Lord Ashby. Con esta historia es imposible que debes de creer en el amor ( y en las autoras buenas que saben escribir histórica, no como las mierdas actuales). Yo amé a Lord Ashby de inicio a fin.
El hombre es caballeroso, pero tosco, lindo pero marcado por la guerra y curtido por un secreto que no le deja tranquilo pues tiene todo que ver con la mujer que ama y desea con cada célula de su cuerpo. Un secreto que no solo lo tortura, sin
Jo
Lucimar
Jan 10, 2016 Lucimar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Um romance apaixonante com os ingredientes que me apaixonam: um homem que anteriormente foi um celebre libertino, conde Ashby e ao voltar da guerra mutilado, se esconde do mundo. As cicatrizes não estão somente no corpo, estão arraigadas na alma dele. É que se pode dizer um homem enigmático, forte, apaixonado, terno e débil que nos envolve e comove. E ela, não fica atrás, Isabel é uma mulher carismática que sempre foi apaixonada por ele. Ela é que conseguirá que ele saia da concha na qual se env ...more
Daisiemae
Jan 31, 2008 Daisiemae rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Who can overlook a silly heroine so they can read about a lovable hero
Recommended to Daisiemae by: Amazon
I wanted to really like this book so much! I loved the storyline. The is scarred from fighting in the Napolean War and recovering from survivors guilt and has been in love with the heroine almost all of his life.
Well, first and formost I really liked the hero. He had alot of redeeming qualities about him. He WORKED hard to convince the heroine to love and accept him. Yes, he had flaws, but he would work his way through them and come out better for it.
On the other hand I did not care for the her
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I read this book some time ago before I was on Goodreads and only just came across it again, so I thought I would mark it up. Normally I wouldn't probably particularly remember a book so far down the track (I think I read it three or four years ago), except with this one I HATED the heroine. The book was actually pretty good to a certain stage, then the heroine did something which *pissed me off* so badly I ditched the book on the spot, no second chances given. That particular behaviour by the h ...more
Victoria Owen
Denni
Nov 17, 2008 Denni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical virgins
Well written, interesting, and good characterization. There is one quality that makes me hestitate to hunt up other titles by this author; the plot consists of a seemingly endless series of misunderstandings and snafus. About half way thru, I seriously thought the author was about to wrap up the storyline. But no, more misunderstandings, and more, and yet more. The book describes the heroine as "all grown up now", but there are definately some maturity issues. At times wondered what the poor her ...more
Lucimar
May 29, 2014 Lucimar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gostei da trama, dos diálogos e de como a autora conseguiu levá-los aos altos e baixos, por conta dos ciúmes, dos desentendimentos, das palavras ditas em momentos inapropriados, sem deixar que os vai-e-vem deles caísse na monotonia. Gostei da autenticidades e dos personagens secundários, tais como o mordomo dele e as adoráveis gêmeas, irmã dela. Hilária a primeira vez que ela se apresenta na casa dele. Morri de rir. Gostei muito por ter me proporcionado bons momento, sem me enfastiar.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The synopsis appealed to me. I enjoyed the concept of the scarred reclusive hero and the heroine who would eventually "save" him. It had the right elements to make it a winner but it didn't come together in a style that worked for me. It didn't live up to the hype it got when it came out. It was just a fair read.
Cindy Woods
Pretty good

Not outstanding, but okay. The immature actions of Isabel almost ruin the book. The Earl is great, though. This man has been to hell and back having been made an orphan at age four and been a wounded war hero to boot. Then becoming a shut-in. I found the actions of Isabel distasteful and foolish. I don't know that I would recommend this book.
Jessica
Feb 05, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rona-sharon
I love the beginning of this book but about halfway through it became exasperating to read. Every other word was a misunderstanding between the hero and the heroine. It became all uncharacteristic acts and second guessing of feelings. Some twists in the story are what keep it interesting but not if those twists could take up another book all on their own.
Vonnie Hughes
Yet another 19th century heroine with 21st century attitudes. The poor Duke of Wellington would be horrified to see how chummy he was with his troops. I think maybe the author tried to stuff too much into the book.
Hilary
Mar 07, 2013 Hilary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-and-perks
really warmed up to it as the book went further but the ending was very abrupt. I mean it was a "yeay most every ones happily together!" but shit even 2more paragraphs worth of an explanation would of helped. It was like she loomed at the clock and realized she was late so she scribbled it down.
Susan
Sep 08, 2011 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
It started off good. but... hummm. Just can't say that I'm glad I bought it. maybe the next one.
  • Beauty and the Scarred Hero
  • Tempt Me Not (Me Not #1)
  • Beauty and the Baron
  • When Seducing a Duke (Victorian Soap Opera, #1)
  • The Way of the Heart
  • Seven Nights to Forever
  • Beauty Tempts the Beast
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • Master of Sin (Courtesan Court, #4)
  • Taming The Beast
  • Conquering Passion
  • Red Roses Mean Love
  • Perils of the Heart
  • Wicked Surrender (Wicked, #1)
  • Taming The Beast (Wife Inc., #3)
  • The Portrait
  • The Romantic (Seducers #5)
  • A Perfect Scoundrel
20986
Rona Sharon is the author of critically acclaimed historical novels of intrigue, passion, and danger. Her latest, ROYAL BLOOD, is a tale of lust and violence in the treacherous Tudor Court.

From her home on the Mediterranean Coast in Tel Aviv, surrounded by thousands of years of history, Rona brings her passion for culture and travel to her writing and never fails to deliver a story that carries a
More about Rona Sharon...