Start by marking “A Stitch in Crime (Crochet Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Stitch in Crime (Crochet Mystery, #4)

A Stitch in Crime (Crochet Mystery #4)

Molly and her Tarzana Hookers must untangle a twisted yarn...

Molly's been handed the reins for this year's creative retreat-an exhilarating weekend out on the Monterey Peninsula, complete with crochet classes. Unfortunately for one teacher, though, the breathtaking scenery is where she'll take her last breath. Now Molly will have to find a new instructor, and, if she ca
Published February 2nd 2010 by Berkley (first published December 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Stitch in Crime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Stitch in Crime

Jess
Apr 07, 2010 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2010
For some reason I was under the impression that this was the first book in a new series by Hechtman. I don't know where I got this idea however, because it's incorrect. It's the fourth book in the series starring Molly and the Tarzana Hookers.

It was okay, I enjoyed it but honestly I find the characters and the situations a little forgettable. I picked this book up and it took me a little while to remember all the characters and the setting. Plus, Molly can be a little annoying at times. I'll sti
Grey853
Oct 19, 2010 Grey853 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy
Rachel
Nov 03, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I read the ninth novel in this series first, and now, I'm going through the series from the beginning. This fourth novel of the series was just as interesting and entertaining as the other books of the series I've read. As was also the case with the other novels in the series, I found the writing style to be good, and the plot was fun. I really enjoyed the novel and am looking forward to reading the whole series.
Kay
Apr 19, 2010 Kay rated it really liked it
Kind of annoyed that the reunion of the main couple wasn't explained after such a dramatic break up in the previous book.
Clarissa Draper
Oct 01, 2010 Clarissa Draper rated it liked it
Shelves: other-mysteries
Genre: Cozy Mystery
How I read it: Kindle for PC

What attracted me to the book: The genre and the free crochet pattern.

Who should read this book: If you look around and you're sitting in a nice cozy arm chair, listening to Mozart, a book with a fancy crocheted bookmark in it is sitting next you as you crochet - this is the book for you and your crochet bookmark!

Summary (from amazon): Molly's been handed the reins for this year's creative retreat-an exhilarating weekend out on the Monterey Peninsul
Kate
Nov 06, 2012 Kate rated it liked it
I was at the library looking for a different paperback mystery, and this one happened to catch my eye, so I grabbed it. Though it's not the first in this series, it was easily readable as a stand-alone book. As an introduction to the series, I enjoyed it. I did manage to find the preceding books so I will be reading those soon.

As for A Stitch in Crime, a number of reviewers thought the setting and the murder plus solution were all implausible and cheesy. I actually thought it worked well. But a
Becca
Feb 14, 2012 Becca rated it it was ok
I'm afraid I didn't like this book much at all. I skipped to the end as well (see Cook's Night Out for another skipped book) with skimming.

I think the main reason I don't like reading mysteries with the lead character as a female is that they tend to be involved with men in law enforcement and depend upon them for backup or moral support and usually ignore common sense which should tell them request equal respect from their partner. It's just rather frustrating to go from romance novels with st
Jun 24, 2013 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, beach-read
I picked up the first four books of the series at the library. This is the first book where I wanted to steal the recipe and possibly try the pattern.

I really like the idea of a weekend retreat of creativity which includes learning of other crafts and practicing crochet. I hate that such retreats (I've looked online) seem to be held either during the school year or far, far away. I wonder if I could organize such a thing myself.

However, I didn't like the story itself. Once again, the sleuth gets
Martha Grace
Jun 04, 2010 Martha Grace rated it liked it
Molly Pink ends up in charge of the upcoming creative weekend retreat when her boss has to be away. Adele is sure she should have been left in charge instead but things seem to be off to a good start. Then to fog rolls in on the Monterey Peninsula and the participants in the classes cannot even make it to the retreat. But things really get complicated when Molly stumbles over the dead body of Isabella Landers, the crochet teacher. The police are convinced that her death is an accident, but Molly ...more
Natalie
Feb 24, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was my first Hechtman mystery. I enjoyed the premise enough (being a knitter myself)but the plot I found was plodding and took too long to get to the meat of the story. The murder didn't occur until almost a hundred pages in- and that's much too much of a setup for me. Adele was completely annoying, Sheila was a coward, and Molly seemed to be too nosy for her own good, not to mention the fact that she kept stringing Barry and Mason along throughout the whole story. The murderer and plot ...more
BooksnWool
Dec 03, 2012 BooksnWool rated it liked it
Another enjoyable book in this series which is turning into my go-to source of light reads. The last line even surprised a belly laugh out of this cynical old grump! Despite the outlandish premise I thought it all worked very well, partly because of the well-drawn characters, and I have a New Year's resolution to go on a craft retreat (and to one day visit the Monterey peninsula.) It says something for this writer that even a character like Adele grows on you eventually. Good action without the ...more
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Dec 27, 2010 Jeannie and Louis Rigod rated it it was amazing
The Location was set in Monterey, CA or more clearly Asilomar Retreat. Could there be a better location for a mysterious murder? Or was it a murder? Death by S'mores????

Ms. Hechtman did it for me. She passed into my 5-star level in this 4th of the series "A Crocket Mystery."
I love how the group is always trying to make something for charity. I love the added food recipes and humor. I love the over-the-top assistant who wants to be a Diva and finally you realize perhaps why?

This was a mad-cap adv
Susan
Dec 05, 2011 Susan rated it liked it
Molly Pink, widowed bookstore event planner and crocheter, ends up in charge of the store's annual creative retreat, which features workshops in crochet, memoir writing, knitting, party planning and acting. A fog locks the site down so only a few of the participants are there for opening day of the long weekend. When one of the group is found dead, the local police think it's an allergic reaction gone berserk. But Molly thinks that the death had a more immediate cause, and vows to find some ...more
Vicki Cline
Sep 09, 2012 Vicki Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: other-mysteries
Molly is in Asilomar near Monterey leading a weekend get-together of people participating in various creative workshops - drama, crochet, knitting, entertaining, etc. The leader of the crochet workshop dies after ingesting a peanut-laden s'more. Is it murder or an accident? (Do we have to ask?) It might be a function of my reading the books in the series too close together, but I'm getting a bit tired of the back-and-forth with Molly's cop boyfriend Barry and her possibly-too-close friendship ...more
Corky
Aug 31, 2010 Corky rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2010
Molly Pink has been given the rhinestone clipboard! In other words, she has been put in charge of this year's creative retreat being held at Asilomar on the Monterey Peninsula. Unfortunately for the crochet teacher, the retreat will be more than she bargained for. Now, while trying to run the retreat, Molly, with the help of her friends, the Tarzana Hookers, has a crime to solve.

What made this most interesting s that I have been to Asilomar and I enjoyed refreshing my memory of the beauty of the
Susan
I'm rounding up from 2.5 stars. Molly Pink (is there a more ridiculous name for a main character?) is handed the rhinestone clipboard at the last minute which means she's in charge of a retreat for crocheters and knitters. A lot of time is spent on another character's desire to be in charge as well as on Molly's relationship with Barry, who did not accompany her on the weekend. The book seemed a little disjointed, and is not my favorite in this series, but it was a good light read.
Betty Silvia
May 08, 2014 Betty Silvia rated it it was ok
Molly Pink takes on the responsibility of the Retreat leader with a rhinestone clipboard with gusto. I'm continuing with this series because of the crochet. This tale dragged a lot. Being part of a crochet group myself, I related to the therapeutic & calming properties of crochet as well as some of the human drama of weekly group meetings. I just didn't enjoy the "mystery" in this story - little too much back-stabbing.
Melissa
Jan 27, 2013 Melissa rated it liked it
The story was pretty entertaining but a bit slow to get started. A few characters I thought were a bit flat: Molly's best friend Dinah and Molly's boyfriend Barry. Adele was quite a colorful character and added some crazy-lady spice to the story. Though the book advertises "recipes included", I really thought it was a stretch to include a recipe for S'mores.
Belinda
Jul 13, 2014 Belinda rated it liked it
This is not a bad craft mystery book. Although it is a bit light on the craft, it's easy to read and relatively entertaining. It is *very* Christian, though, with bits of bible verse scattered throughout and lots of characters praying at and for each other. If that is an issue for you, then I would avoid this title.

Thank you to the publisher who supplied a preview copy to me via Netgalley.
Snap
Dec 30, 2010 Snap rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2010
I tried very hard to give this one (#4) three stars, but it just wasn't as good as the others in the series. I do enjoy the characters and while this was a fun read -- a creative weekend away at Asilomar - there was just something about the flow of the story that just wasn't quite right.
Carol
Apr 27, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
This, the fourth book in the series, takes us to a rustic craft/hobby retreat. Sheila, another somewhat flat regular character is getting more human and I don't think Molly broke the law in this book. The subplot of dueling "boyfriends" is amusing.
Merry
Feb 09, 2015 Merry rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I enjoyed this book a lot and will read her other cozy mysteries. The characters are amusing and I especially like her co-worker Adele who is hilarious. For anyone who is looking for a light read and funny characters, I would recommend this book.
Christine
Mar 20, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
This was the best entry in the series so far...maybe because it was a retreat setting so it took the characters out of some of their comfort zone. Adele was easier to take, even though she was kind of a mess, and Molly was less neurotic than usual too.
Venessa
Mar 27, 2016 Venessa rated it liked it
Molly Pink and some of her Tarzana Hookers go away for a weekend creativity retreat. But when the woman leading the crochet workshop turns up dead on the beach it's up to Molly to figure out what really happened.
Jyotika Varmani
Sep 08, 2014 Jyotika Varmani rated it really liked it
This book was fun, and particularly a delight for us crochet lovers. It has the style of a Daniel Steel novel. It is sugary sweet. The only problem is the pace is slow, and the book feels a few chapters too long. A fun read otherwise.
Gillian
Aug 10, 2015 Gillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series really gets you in the mood for crochet. The mystery was great. I love that I can figure some of the clues out. I've pulled up a YouTube video for learning to crochet. Now I just need to get a hook. Can't wait to read the next.
Diane
Jul 12, 2016 Diane rated it liked it
While I like that this series is about crocheting and yarn and a little cooking, and the language is clean, the stories are truly tedious. I keep hoping they'll get better, so I'll read the next one.
Kathi Olsen
Apr 25, 2010 Kathi Olsen rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
It has some cheesy moments, but kind of a fun story none-the-less. I wouldn't be against reading another of her stories.
Sara
Jan 05, 2011 Sara rated it liked it
A better mystery with good characters. I noticed in looking up the author, that people rated each of her books higher than the previous one so maybe I should look for later books in the series.
Carolyn
Mar 12, 2011 Carolyn rated it liked it
A fun, light read. Lots of humor despite a murder having been committed. Some of the main characters are a little crazy, adding to the fun.
  • Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3)
  • Feline Fatale (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery, #9)
  • Stitch Me Deadly (An Embroidery Mystery, #2)
  • Ocean Waves (A Quilting Mystery, #3)
  • The Sauvignon Secret (Wine Country Mysteries, #6)
  • Dyer Consequences (A Knitting Mystery, # 5)
  • Harrowing Hats (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #4)
  • Blackwork (A Needlecraft Mystery, #13)
  • Silent Auction (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Raining Cat Sitters and Dogs (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery, #5)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • Drive Time (Charlotte McNally, #4)
  • Nine Lives Last Forever (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #2)
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
  • Dial H for Hitchcock (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #5)
I grew up on the south side of Chicago and in a very busy weekend, got married, graduated college and moved to Los Angeles.

Although my degree is in Fine Arts, all I ever wanted to be was a writer and I've been doing it in one form or another for as long as I can remember. My shining moments in elementary and high school always involved stories or poetry I'd written. I wrote news stories and a week
More about Betty Hechtman...

Crochet Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Hooked on Murder (Crochet Mystery, #1)
  • Dead Men Don't Crochet (Crochet Mystery, #2)
  • By Hook or by Crook (Crochet Mystery, #3)
  • You Better Knot Die (Crochet Mystery, #5)
  • Behind the Seams (Crochet Mystery, #6)
  • If Hooks Could Kill (Crochet Mystery, #7)
  • For Better or Worsted (Crochet Mystery, #8)
  • Knot Guilty (Crochet Mystery, #9)
  • Seams Like Murder (Crochet Mystery #10)
  • Hooking for Trouble