Cold River (Black Falls, #2)

Cold River (Black Falls #2)

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  602 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Hannah Shay has finally shown the town of Black Falls what she's worth. Her Three Sisters Cafe is a success, and she's soon to become a prosecutor. When the cafe becomes an epicenter for investigators trying to pierce a violent crime ring that's leaving bloody trails on nearby Cameron Mountain, Hannah suspects a man from her past is involved.
Sean Cameron returns to the sn...more
Published December 1st 2009 by Mira Books (first published 2009)

Nicole
I have been a fan of Carla Neggers for a long time, loving her blend of a hint of romance with suspense. I am a fan of her U.S. Marshall and FBI series and some of her standalone novels but I'm not so keen on her new Black Falls series. The series revolves around numerous characters set in Black Falls, Vermont basically involving a handful families, the Camerons and the Harpers. The Cameron siblings recently lost their father Drew Cameron, who was murdered by assassins because he was asking ques...more
Elizabeth Olmedo
Cold River is the second book in the Black Falls Series, although readers will quickly pick up the story line. Carla Neggers explains the events of the previous book—maybe too much so. Hearing the same story from every character quickly became annoying.

Neggers also tends to spell everything out. The author makes the characters’ thoughts and feelings clear through their actions and words, only to go on and state what they are. Neggers should give the reader the benefit of the doubt and tell him/h...more
Vivian
Very disappointed with this book. The plot appears muddled and ill-defined. The characters are very flat. The dialogue rambles and often times seems quite pointless. The action seems to be thrown in just to provide a change of pace from the flat characters and dialogue. So not worth reading IMHO.
Wanda
Don't bother. This book builds upon another story written by the same author. She keeps referring back to the previous book so many times that I felt as though I was re-reading it. Draggy, slow with unsympathetic and uninteresting characters and story line.
Jessi
Cold River
The story starts in March when Derek and Robert insult Hannah in a bar, starting off a bar fight. We are introduced to most of the main characters and learn about Hannah’s life.
It picks up nine months later, just after the holidays and a couple of weeks after Cold Pursuit. For those who haven’t read the first book in the trilogy, there is a lot of review. A lot of review. In fact, at least a good third of the book goes over what happened before. It is important for exposition but it...more
Carol
Murder in Black Falls!

My thoughts on the book Cold River by Carla Neggers

Synopsis From The Back Of The Book:

Hannah Shay has finally shown the town of Black Falls what she’s worth. Her Three Sisters Café is a success, and she’s soon to become a prosecutor. When the café becomes an epicenter for investigators trying to pierce a violent crime ring that’s leaving bloody trails on nearby Cameron Mountain, Hannah suspects a man from her past is involved.

Sean Cameron returns to the snowy cold of his Ve...more
Karen
There is some very vague plot development in [I]Cold River[/I]--the motives of the killer aren't well-defined because we don't understand what he does that causes suspicion among a group of people he kills. However, it was a fast read--somewhat repetitive when describing all the attributes--physical, emotional and intellectual--of the heroine. This book is preceeded by at least one book, [I]Cold Pursuit[/I] (and maybe [I]Cold Ridge[/I]), and is followed by [I]Cold Dawn[/I].

It takes place on a w...more
Pattianne
Cold River - Black Falls #2 - (Sean and Hannah) - Hannah is the new prosecutor and with Sean they find the murderer and love.

Hannah Shay has finally shown the town of Black Falls what she's worth. Her Three Sisters Café is a success, and she's soon to become a prosecutor. When the cafe becomes an epicenter for investigators trying to pierce a violent crime ring that's leaving bloody trails on nearby Cameron Mountain, Hannah suspects a man from her past is involved.

Sean Cameron returns to the sn...more
Steve Clark
I believe this is the second in a series and I hadn't read the first one. Way too many characters to keep track of and I think you need to have read the first book to understand the second. For instance, it was never explained by "the killers" wanted to kill a couple of teenage kids. So I didn't care for it much.
Dara
This is definitely not a stand alone book. I feel like I'm missing a lot and it's distracting from enjoying the book. I'll have to check out Cold Pursuit from the library to figure out what is going on in Cold River. You really need to start at the beginning with this book. It is book 2 in the new Black Falls series. Most books in a series (if you start somewhere other than book one) make sense but not this one. I like her books but this one is hard to read. I need to write a list down to figure...more
Anita Fleming
If you are considering this book and have not read Cold Pursuit, stop and read it first. This is not a good stand alone book. The story picks up about a month and a half after the end of Cold Pursuit. Sean has come from California for Christmas and gotten involves in the investigation of his fathers murder and its' link to a group of killers for hire. He also is taking a look at Hannah, a sweet girl from the wrong side of town. Hannah has spent years putting distance between her and that rep. Th...more
Tonya Warner
Hannah has raised her two bothers after the death of her parents. She was able to start up a cafe with some friends, as well as finish law school and is studying now to pass the bar. Problem is, there are some killers in the mountains threatening to destroy her family.

Sean, along with his brothers and sister are trying to find out why his father was murdered and who blew up one of the murders with a bomb. He also comes to realize, Hannah means the world to him, even if she confuses the hell out...more
Eileen
I love Carla Neggers books as she tells a story very well. I enjoy her characters and the story lines are wonderful. I will have to say that I struggled reading this book because of the narration of a previous story line. I have read all the books, so I did not have a problem remembering with a little reference but this was too much. It did not need that much reference to keep the story's continuity, in fact I put the book down far more often that I usually do as it became annoying to keep going...more
Lynn Pembroke
I read this because I was hoping it would answer questions left in the first book. But I guess you could have started here with all the reminders of what happened in book one. Who done it was solved, but I never really figured out why they were targeted in the first place or at least there were a lot of ends left loose. Also, it's set in Vermont in January it's COLD we get it. These characters must have something else to think about besides cold. I'm going to read the third book just to see if a...more
Bob
Set in Vermont this tale delves into the murder of a small town patriarch of a well known family and is also connected to murders in DC. Negger's stories a interesting but sometimes somewhat ragged and have lots of mention to previous books with same characters. These are books that I expect are better read in order, aomething seldom do as they are all not easily available short of buying them which I don't do.
Paulette
This is the first Carl Neggers novel I have read. Cold River is the 2nd of a series and I wish I could have started with the first – Cold Pursuit. Cold River seemed to make references to the first book quite often, but I did find myself connecting to the characters and getting involved in this story. I will look for a copy of Cold River and look forward to #3!
Sabine
I enjoy Ms Neggers work, but this book was horrid!! Over half of the book was rehashing the prequel to this book (Cold Pursuit) So you get the story ad nauseum from all of the characters. This was the first book I actually skipped ahead to get to the rest of the story! The end wrapped up nicely, with a few suprises, so not all hope was lost on this tale!!
Judy
This is the 2nd of a series and while I have always liked Carla Neggers' novels, this one seemed to me to be disjointed, so many separate incidents, comments that didn't connect. Was a good story about killers in Vermont mountains and the families that live there; they tried to solve the murders, a bit a romance, and certainly a continuing story.
Komal
How many times does the weather need to be described in one book? Jeez, we get it it's cold. Honestly, every few sentences! And the 95% of the book was everyone sitting around discussing facts over and over again. I read a couple of Negger's books before and was hoping that this would be similar but nope it was a disappointment.
Shera Melton
This was the first book I had read in this series, and it was really good. I had read a book by Carla Neggers before and didn't like it, but I did like this one. The characters were great and the storyline was interesting. Its a short book but you get the full story, fleshed out perfectly.
Anne OK
This one is the best in the series. I enjoy revisiting the previous characters but our current h/h were amazing together and the build up to the "bad guy" had me changing my guess several times over. I can't wait for Grit's story (and Marissa's????), as well as O'Rourke's.
Mary C
Never read one of hers before, really like it. Good mystery, not too graftic (is that a word) My neighbor loves theses, glad I read it. Will probably read more of hers when I want to a mystery. I didn't figure this out until the very end.
Ruby Johnson
This was a poorly edited book. The first two paragraphs were so bad, I had difficulty reading the book. The scenes were ones I'd read many times in other novels. Truly not worth the money. I expected better from a NYT bestselling author.
Okay, but not as good as the first book in the trilogy. I didn't really care for the lead character, Hannah. She was too stubborn. Her refusal to accept help or to cooperate with the other characters was irritating.
Mary
Book 2 in the series and it was very repetitive from the first book and I kept getting lost in all the characters the author added. But it did end the story line from the first book and I felt like it was okay.
Stacy
This book was a little better than the first one. That's surprising since usually I don't like the second book in the series. I am still getting used to the author's style of writing, but enjoying the series.
Stephani
Black Falls Book 2. I was not very happy with this book. It was the second in the Black Falls series, and I haven't read teh first book, so there were some gaps in the story for me.
The book felt rushed.
NV
I only read part of this book because I just could not get into the characters! The story line was uninspiring to me-I usually like murder mysteries but this I could not finish.
Cindi
Way confusing, even if it hadn't been over a year since I read the 1st book in the series. Characters never did get to me, I am very disappointed.
  • On the Edge: WITH Capsized AND Shelter Island AND Bougainvillea
  • The Perfect Murder (Last Stand Series,  #6)
  • Deadly Intent (Mindhunters, #4)
  • Nine Lives (Cat Dupree, #1)
  • Everlasting Love
  • Black at Heart (Black CATs, #3)
  • Too Many Cooks (Angie Amalfi, #2)
  • Daring the Duke (Lords of Intrigue, #2)
  • One Last Breath (The Borderline #1)
  • The Conviction (David Sloane, #5)
  • The Survivors
  • The Darkness (Henry Parker, #5)
Carla Neggers has been spinning stories ever since she climbed a tree with pad and pen at age eleven. Now she is the New York Times bestselling author of almost 70 novels, with millions of books sold in over 30 countries. Her popular Sharpe & Donovan romantic suspense series featuring FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan launched with Saint’s Gate in 2011 and has been praised as “a breatht...more
More about Carla Neggers...
The Widow (FBI, #1) Cold Pursuit (Black Falls, #1) Cold Ridge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1) Secrets of the Lost Summer (Swift River Valley, #1) Breakwater (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #5)