Start by marking “Cold River (Black Falls, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cold River (Black Falls, #2)

Cold River (Black Falls #2)

Hannah Shay has finally shown the town of Black Falls what she's worth. Her Three Sisters Cafe is a success, and she's soon to become a prosecutor. When the cafe becomes an epicenter for investigators trying to pierce a violent crime ring that's leaving bloody trails on nearby Cameron Mountain, Hannah suspects a man from her past is involved.
Sean Cameron returns to the sn
Published December 1st 2009 by Mira Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Cold River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold River

Diane
Jul 20, 2015 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ever get stuck in a Ground Hog Day thingy? That's what I felt like reading this book. Basically, the first half of the book dealt with everything that happened in the first book of this series - very unnecessary, it's time for Ms Beverly Connor to give a workshop on what works when writing a series!

All very repetitive, I did like the storyline and once the first half of the book was done the story picked up and so did my attention. Ms Neggers does tell a good tale and weaves a pretty good myster
Nicole
Jan 13, 2010 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I have been a fan of Carla Neggers for a long time, loving her blend of a hint of romance with suspense. I am a fan of her U.S. Marshall and FBI series and some of her standalone novels but I'm not so keen on her new Black Falls series. The series revolves around numerous characters set in Black Falls, Vermont basically involving a handful families, the Camerons and the Harpers. The Cameron siblings recently lost their father Drew Cameron, who was murdered by assassins because he was asking ques ...more
Wanda
Mar 06, 2010 Wanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't bother. This book builds upon another story written by the same author. She keeps referring back to the previous book so many times that I felt as though I was re-reading it. Draggy, slow with unsympathetic and uninteresting characters and story line.
Vivian
Dec 01, 2010 Vivian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Very disappointed with this book. The plot appears muddled and ill-defined. The characters are very flat. The dialogue rambles and often times seems quite pointless. The action seems to be thrown in just to provide a change of pace from the flat characters and dialogue. So not worth reading IMHO.
Maureen
Frustrating. I found it hard to follow. I kept backing up and re-reading, thinking I must have missed something. Nope, the character actions and dialogue we just constantly vague and obscure. Annoying.
Jessi
Cold River
The story starts in March when Derek and Robert insult Hannah in a bar, starting off a bar fight. We are introduced to most of the main characters and learn about Hannah’s life.
It picks up nine months later, just after the holidays and a couple of weeks after Cold Pursuit. For those who haven’t read the first book in the trilogy, there is a lot of review. A lot of review. In fact, at least a good third of the book goes over what happened before. It is important for exposition but it
Carol
Aug 21, 2013 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder in Black Falls!

My thoughts on the book Cold River by Carla Neggers

Synopsis From The Back Of The Book:

Hannah Shay has finally shown the town of Black Falls what she’s worth. Her Three Sisters Café is a success, and she’s soon to become a prosecutor. When the café becomes an epicenter for investigators trying to pierce a violent crime ring that’s leaving bloody trails on nearby Cameron Mountain, Hannah suspects a man from her past is involved.

Sean Cameron returns to the snowy cold of his Ve
Elizabeth "Eli" Olmedo
Cold River is the second book in the Black Falls Series, although readers will quickly pick up the story line. Carla Neggers explains the events of the previous book—maybe too much so. Hearing the same story from every character quickly became annoying.

Neggers also tends to spell everything out. The author makes the characters’ thoughts and feelings clear through their actions and words, only to go on and state what they are. Neggers should give the reader the benefit of the doubt and tell him/h
Karen
Feb 02, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is some very vague plot development in [I]Cold River[/I]--the motives of the killer aren't well-defined because we don't understand what he does that causes suspicion among a group of people he kills. However, it was a fast read--somewhat repetitive when describing all the attributes--physical, emotional and intellectual--of the heroine. This book is preceeded by at least one book, [I]Cold Pursuit[/I] (and maybe [I]Cold Ridge[/I]), and is followed by [I]Cold Dawn[/I].

It takes place on a w
Dara
Dec 21, 2009 Dara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely not a stand alone book. I feel like I'm missing a lot and it's distracting from enjoying the book. I'll have to check out Cold Pursuit from the library to figure out what is going on in Cold River. You really need to start at the beginning with this book. It is book 2 in the new Black Falls series. Most books in a series (if you start somewhere other than book one) make sense but not this one. I like her books but this one is hard to read. I need to write a list down to figure ...more
Anita
Jan 02, 2013 Anita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic-supense
If you are considering this book and have not read Cold Pursuit, stop and read it first. This is not a good stand alone book. The story picks up about a month and a half after the end of Cold Pursuit. Sean has come from California for Christmas and gotten involves in the investigation of his fathers murder and its' link to a group of killers for hire. He also is taking a look at Hannah, a sweet girl from the wrong side of town. Hannah has spent years putting distance between her and that rep. Th ...more
Pattianne
Nov 05, 2011 Pattianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cold River - Black Falls #2 - (Sean and Hannah) - Hannah is the new prosecutor and with Sean they find the murderer and love.

Hannah Shay has finally shown the town of Black Falls what she's worth. Her Three Sisters Café is a success, and she's soon to become a prosecutor. When the cafe becomes an epicenter for investigators trying to pierce a violent crime ring that's leaving bloody trails on nearby Cameron Mountain, Hannah suspects a man from her past is involved.

Sean Cameron returns to the sn
Eileen
Aug 25, 2013 Eileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Carla Neggers books as she tells a story very well. I enjoy her characters and the story lines are wonderful. I will have to say that I struggled reading this book because of the narration of a previous story line. I have read all the books, so I did not have a problem remembering with a little reference but this was too much. It did not need that much reference to keep the story's continuity, in fact I put the book down far more often that I usually do as it became annoying to keep going ...more
Deanna
Jan 26, 2015 Deanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are flashbacks at the beginning of the book while the author is also still introducing most of the main characters, and that caused a little confusion for me at first. But, perhaps it was just that I was tired when reading it, and many of the main characters are related. Others may not find it confusing at all. Other than that, the story flows well throughout, and there was not any point where I felt bogged down in unnecessary information or filler. Overall, I liked this book and would rec ...more
Tonya Warner
Hannah has raised her two bothers after the death of her parents. She was able to start up a cafe with some friends, as well as finish law school and is studying now to pass the bar. Problem is, there are some killers in the mountains threatening to destroy her family.

Sean, along with his brothers and sister are trying to find out why his father was murdered and who blew up one of the murders with a bomb. He also comes to realize, Hannah means the world to him, even if she confuses the hell out
Lynn Pembroke
I read this because I was hoping it would answer questions left in the first book. But I guess you could have started here with all the reminders of what happened in book one. Who done it was solved, but I never really figured out why they were targeted in the first place or at least there were a lot of ends left loose. Also, it's set in Vermont in January it's COLD we get it. These characters must have something else to think about besides cold. I'm going to read the third book just to see if a ...more
Bob
May 20, 2011 Bob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in Vermont this tale delves into the murder of a small town patriarch of a well known family and is also connected to murders in DC. Negger's stories a interesting but sometimes somewhat ragged and have lots of mention to previous books with same characters. These are books that I expect are better read in order, aomething seldom do as they are all not easily available short of buying them which I don't do.
Teresa Drelick
This is the second book in a trilogy. I read this as a stand alone 5 years ago but recently found books 1 and 3 so I'm reading them in order. The first time I raved about this book but reading it as the second in a series I found that much of it was the retelling of past events. It could have been a third of the pages if the refresher part had been more succinct. I still enjoyed it and am now on to the third in the series.
Loretta
A lot of reflection and backstory but still a good story. Glad the right guy was caught. Curious that the restless Charlie is still on the hunt. I think he may have an excellent future with the FBI or CIA if he chooses to avoid the political arena that his father is in. Baffling that his IQ comes up so frequently. A lot of callous attitudes and sharp wits. I think one can fall in love, albeit slowly, with the Camerons, their extended family of friends, and their little town.
Reen
Feb 12, 2016 Reen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the trilogy. There was some review at the beginning but then the story picked up. Some characters are becoming annoying and a little superficial so I am hoping they show more depth in the next book. Neggars is a little too descriptive of motive and emotions at times and not enough at others. Getting more acustomed to her style of writing now and enjoyed the story.
Kathy
Hannah and Sean’s story. I am not so sure why they all give Hannah such a hard time. Must be from growing up in the same town. I liked Sean’s character but I feel he went about his relationship with Hannah all the wrong way at times.
What I liked about Jo in book 1 is annoying in this one. She's a bit of a hardass when it is not necessary.

Sabine
Dec 03, 2009 Sabine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Ms Neggers work, but this book was horrid!! Over half of the book was rehashing the prequel to this book (Cold Pursuit) So you get the story ad nauseum from all of the characters. This was the first book I actually skipped ahead to get to the rest of the story! The end wrapped up nicely, with a few suprises, so not all hope was lost on this tale!!
Steve Clark
Jul 17, 2014 Steve Clark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I believe this is the second in a series and I hadn't read the first one. Way too many characters to keep track of and I think you need to have read the first book to understand the second. For instance, it was never explained by "the killers" wanted to kill a couple of teenage kids. So I didn't care for it much.
Paulette
This is the first Carl Neggers novel I have read. Cold River is the 2nd of a series and I wish I could have started with the first – Cold Pursuit. Cold River seemed to make references to the first book quite often, but I did find myself connecting to the characters and getting involved in this story. I will look for a copy of Cold River and look forward to #3!
Komal
Aug 14, 2011 Komal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
How many times does the weather need to be described in one book? Jeez, we get it it's cold. Honestly, every few sentences! And the 95% of the book was everyone sitting around discussing facts over and over again. I read a couple of Negger's books before and was hoping that this would be similar but nope it was a disappointment.
Judy
Jan 19, 2010 Judy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd of a series and while I have always liked Carla Neggers' novels, this one seemed to me to be disjointed, so many separate incidents, comments that didn't connect. Was a good story about killers in Vermont mountains and the families that live there; they tried to solve the murders, a bit a romance, and certainly a continuing story.
Spanish Missy
Apr 15, 2015 Spanish Missy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well I am so glad it is over and I can carry on with my life now again! I finally know who did it! Cold river is written in such a way that I could truly feel the "cold" and could really imagine each and every character in the story. I was motivated to read it whenever I could fit in another page or two as I was captivated by the story, the scenery and the people. I will read her stuff again!
Shera Melton
This was the first book I had read in this series, and it was really good. I had read a book by Carla Neggers before and didn't like it, but I did like this one. The characters were great and the storyline was interesting. Its a short book but you get the full story, fleshed out perfectly.
Amie
Aug 15, 2014 Amie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of the worst books I have ever read. With the mist horrible cast of characters ever! Don't read it unless your in a more mood to hate the good guys! I will not be reading any more of Carla Neggers.
Stacy
This book was a little better than the first one. That's surprising since usually I don't like the second book in the series. I am still getting used to the author's style of writing, but enjoying the series.
  • On the Edge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1.5)
  • Deadly Intent (Mindhunters, #4)
  • The Perfect Liar (The Last Stand, #5)
  • Everlasting Love
  • Margin of Error (Britt Montero, #5)
  • The Darkness (Henry Parker, #5)
  • Dead End (Dead #4; John Mancini #6)
  • Now You See Him (Bayou #4)
  • Black at Heart (Black CATs, #3)
  • Tales of the Red Moon Clan
  • The Survivors
  • Everywhere She Turns
  • Dire Wants (Eternal Wolf Clan, #2)
  • Revenge at Bella Terra (Scarlet Deception #2)
  • Against the Fire (The Raines of Wind Canyon, #2)
  • Perfect Red
  • A Time To Die (The Protectors, #29)
Carla Neggers has been spinning stories ever since she climbed a tree with pad and pen at age eleven. Now she is the New York Times bestselling author of almost 70 novels, with millions of books sold in over 30 countries. Her popular Sharpe & Donovan romantic suspense series featuring FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan launched with Saint’s Gate in 2011 and has been praised as “a breatht ...more
More about Carla Neggers...

Black Falls (3 books)
  • Cold Pursuit (Black Falls, #1)
  • Cold Dawn (Black Falls, #3)