Start by marking “Fancy Nancy and the Sensational Babysitter” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy and the Sensational Babysitter

Fancy Nancy and the Sensational Babysitter (Fancy Nancy)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  247 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Nancy is tremendously excited about her new babysitter coming over. She has their whole evening planned out, from playing with Marabelle to dressing up in fancy ensembles. But things don't turn out quite as Nancy had planned!
Published April 27th 2010 by HarperFestival

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Nancy and the Sensational Babysitter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fancy Nancy and the Sensational Babysitter

Jo
Sep 08, 2010 Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fancy Nancy is very excited about a new babysitter that will be coming over for the evening. Her name is Alex and she is a teenager! Nancy makes a list of all the fancy activities she can't wait to do with Alex (dolls, dress up). When Fancy Nancy is called to come and meet Alex, she can't believe it when Alex turns out to be a teenage boy! Poor Nancy considers this to be a baby-sitting tragedy of course!

Definitely a fun read. I love that they made Alex a teenage boy! An unexpected twist that tur
Kristen
Feb 19, 2016 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I really enjoyed this story. Nancy has her whole night planned out with her babysitter and everything changes when she finds out it's a boy! She gets a little disappointed and goes off on her own, but she finds out that boys can be just as fun. Her plans may have changed, but she still had a great time. This is a good moral for kids and was a fun story.
G.C. Nash
May 06, 2015 G.C. Nash rated it really liked it
Loved this twist on the traditional babysitter tale! I do think there were a few gender assumptions I don't absolutely agree with, however the overall theme over-rid these bits.
Pam
Jul 18, 2015 Pam rated it it was amazing
Fun book about an unexpected and totally fun babysitter...read by L. <3
jacky
Jun 14, 2012 jacky rated it liked it
We hadn't read any Fancy Nancy books yet, but the library was soon having an event based on her, so i got out the only two books i could find. I loved the way these books introduce new vocabulary. i really liked this story. i saw the surprised, but Natalie (still less than 3) did not. i was worried these books are two sterotypical girl, but this one gave me faith in the series. And besides, what harm is there in the children's lit equivilant of a fashion magazine? As long as Natalie still loves ...more
Oliver James
Jan 25, 2016 Oliver James rated it liked it
Read with my little sister.
J.D. Holman
Oct 01, 2012 J.D. Holman rated it it was amazing
I read this in a store while waiting for a prescription to be filled. I haven't read any Fancy Nancy books before, but this is very cute! Nancy expects to have all sorts of girly fun with her babysitter, but is disappointed when it turns out that it's a boy. He proves to be fun in different ways, though. The inclusion of harder words and French vocabulary are something this series is known for, I gather, and I really like that. It's also good to see nonconformity in gender roles, with a male bab ...more
Mary
In this story, Fancy Nancy meets a new babysitter, who turns out to be someone she didn’t expect. At first, she is disappointed that her plans have to change, but once the two get to know each other better, they have a wonderful time together. This is a great story for vocabulary skills as Nancy always uses fancy words to describe things, and also for dialogic reading in discussing what happens when someone turns out to be someone different than you might have been expecting.
Brandy
Apr 15, 2012 Brandy rated it liked it
This is another one of Fancy Nancy's fantastic vocabulary-building stories. The message of this book is about not judging people before you know them. In this story, Nancy is unhappy about having a boy babysitter, but by the end of the evening she realizes he is a lot of fun and she can't wait for him to come back. This would be a good book to have on a classroom bookshelf, and could be used to teach about synonyms!
Dolly
Oct 28, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We really enjoy reading the stories in the Fancy Nancy series. They are perfect for young girls and even for a not-so-fancy Mom. I enjoy her joie de vivre (that's French for "joy of living".) This is a good story about gender stereotyping and how people often surprise us.
Ashley Fortson
Oct 02, 2011 Ashley Fortson rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is a great book when learning more complex words. In this book, the character Nancy, uses all types of fancy words to describe things. She also tells what the fancy word means in a way most children would understand. I really enjoyed reading this book and will share it with my class when learning about discriptive words.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I actually hadn't read any Fancy Nancy stories before but thought my niece would love it. Sure enough she did. Nancy uses big words (she explains that it is the fancier version) and uses French words and in this book discovers that her male teen-age babysitter can be just as fun as a female babysitter.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Jan 06, 2013 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it liked it
Shelves: series
So recently, my daughter has become extremely interested in Fancy Nancy. So, we have been reading some of the Fancy Nancy series. This series is lots of fun and all the heart warming moments are a nice touch to the rather flouncy, fancy moments.
Vivian
May 03, 2012 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Imagine Nancy's dismay when she learns that her babysitter turns out to be a guy. Toss all those plans of playing dress up. As it turns out, Alex is great fun.
Mekia
Nov 22, 2010 Mekia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
a book about a little girl who is excited to get a new babysitter because it is a teenager. she makes a list of things to do, but the night doesn't go as planned!
Liz Todd
Aug 10, 2013 Liz Todd rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, graely
Nancy is disappointed when the babysitter turns out to be a boy. In the end, they have fun together and he is deemed, "sensational!" :)

Michelle
Love the lessons in prim and proper Fancy Nancy and it teaches my daughter them too! She loves Fancy Nancy and her stories!
Nikki
Dec 02, 2010 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, fiction
Just bought and read this book to Annalise. Love it! I expect that there will be more Fancy Nancy's in our future.
Erika
May 17, 2010 Erika rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Fancy Nancy books; it's funny and has a bit of the unexpected.
Zinnia Bayardo
Jan 17, 2013 Zinnia Bayardo rated it really liked it
my 6yr old loved it. she loves everything fancy Nancy!
Sabrina
"It was practically a babysitting tragedy!" Very cute. :)
Chrystal
Dec 18, 2010 Chrystal rated it really liked it
Wow -- a boy babysitter who can play tea parties?
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Deatrice
Deatrice rated it it was amazing
May 10, 2016
Violet Cursaro
Violet Cursaro marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
LOVE Reading
LOVE Reading marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
  • Pinkalicious and the Pink Drink
  • Tippy-Tippy-Tippy, Hide!
  • Every Cowgirl Needs a Horse
  • Dogerella
  • Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?
  • Ladybug Girl at the Beach
  • Arthur's Underwear (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • My Wobbly Tooth Must Not Ever Never Fall Out
  • Olivia Goes to Venice
  • Those Darn Squirrels Fly South
  • The Grandma Book
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • Pigs to the Rescue
  • Houndsley and Catina (Houndsley and Catina, #1)
  • Princess Peepers
  • A Little Shopping (Cobble Street Cousins, #2)
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website
More about Jane O'Connor...

Fancy Nancy (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Fancy Nancy
  • Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy
  • Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly
  • Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • Fancy Nancy: Tea Parties (Fancy Nancy)
  • Fancy Nancy Halloween... or Bust!
  • Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas