Start by marking “Fancy Nancy and the Sensational Babysitter” as Want to Read:
Fancy Nancy and the Sensational Babysitter

Fancy Nancy and the Sensational Babysitter (Fancy Nancy)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Nancy is tremendously excited about her new babysitter coming over. She has their whole evening planned out, from playing with Marabelle to dressing up in fancy ensembles. But things don't turn out quite as Nancy had planned!
Unknown Binding, 24 pages
Published April 27th 2010 by HarperFestival

To ask other readers questions about Fancy Nancy and the Sensational Babysitter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fancy Nancy and the Sensational Babysitter

Jo
Fancy Nancy is very excited about a new babysitter that will be coming over for the evening. Her name is Alex and she is a teenager! Nancy makes a list of all the fancy activities she can't wait to do with Alex (dolls, dress up). When Fancy Nancy is called to come and meet Alex, she can't believe it when Alex turns out to be a teenage boy! Poor Nancy considers this to be a baby-sitting tragedy of course!

Definitely a fun read. I love that they made Alex a teenage boy! An unexpected twist that tur
jacky
We hadn't read any Fancy Nancy books yet, but the library was soon having an event based on her, so i got out the only two books i could find. I loved the way these books introduce new vocabulary. i really liked this story. i saw the surprised, but Natalie (still less than 3) did not. i was worried these books are two sterotypical girl, but this one gave me faith in the series. And besides, what harm is there in the children's lit equivilant of a fashion magazine? As long as Natalie still loves ...more
J.D. Holman
I read this in a store while waiting for a prescription to be filled. I haven't read any Fancy Nancy books before, but this is very cute! Nancy expects to have all sorts of girly fun with her babysitter, but is disappointed when it turns out that it's a boy. He proves to be fun in different ways, though. The inclusion of harder words and French vocabulary are something this series is known for, I gather, and I really like that. It's also good to see nonconformity in gender roles, with a male bab ...more
Mary
In this story, Fancy Nancy meets a new babysitter, who turns out to be someone she didn’t expect. At first, she is disappointed that her plans have to change, but once the two get to know each other better, they have a wonderful time together. This is a great story for vocabulary skills as Nancy always uses fancy words to describe things, and also for dialogic reading in discussing what happens when someone turns out to be someone different than you might have been expecting.
Brandy
This is another one of Fancy Nancy's fantastic vocabulary-building stories. The message of this book is about not judging people before you know them. In this story, Nancy is unhappy about having a boy babysitter, but by the end of the evening she realizes he is a lot of fun and she can't wait for him to come back. This would be a good book to have on a classroom bookshelf, and could be used to teach about synonyms!
Dolly
Oct 28, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We really enjoy reading the stories in the Fancy Nancy series. They are perfect for young girls and even for a not-so-fancy Mom. I enjoy her joie de vivre (that's French for "joy of living".) This is a good story about gender stereotyping and how people often surprise us.
Ashley Fortson
This book is a great book when learning more complex words. In this book, the character Nancy, uses all types of fancy words to describe things. She also tells what the fancy word means in a way most children would understand. I really enjoyed reading this book and will share it with my class when learning about discriptive words.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
I actually hadn't read any Fancy Nancy stories before but thought my niece would love it. Sure enough she did. Nancy uses big words (she explains that it is the fancier version) and uses French words and in this book discovers that her male teen-age babysitter can be just as fun as a female babysitter.
Nancy Jo Lambert
So recently, my daughter has become extremely interested in Fancy Nancy. So, we have been reading some of the Fancy Nancy series. This series is lots of fun and all the heart warming moments are a nice touch to the rather flouncy, fancy moments.
Vivian
Imagine Nancy's dismay when she learns that her babysitter turns out to be a guy. Toss all those plans of playing dress up. As it turns out, Alex is great fun.
Mekia
a book about a little girl who is excited to get a new babysitter because it is a teenager. she makes a list of things to do, but the night doesn't go as planned!
Liz Todd
Nancy is disappointed when the babysitter turns out to be a boy. In the end, they have fun together and he is deemed, "sensational!" :)

Michelle
Love the lessons in prim and proper Fancy Nancy and it teaches my daughter them too! She loves Fancy Nancy and her stories!
Nikki
Just bought and read this book to Annalise. Love it! I expect that there will be more Fancy Nancy's in our future.
Erika
This is one of my favorite Fancy Nancy books; it's funny and has a bit of the unexpected.
Zinnia Bayardo
my 6yr old loved it. she loves everything fancy Nancy!
Sabrina
"It was practically a babysitting tragedy!" Very cute. :)
Chrystal
Wow -- a boy babysitter who can play tea parties?
Kelley S
Kelley S marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
CCPL Youth Services
CCPL Youth Services marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
  • Pinkalicious and the Pink Drink
  • Tippy-Tippy-Tippy, Hide!
  • Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?
  • Every Cowgirl Needs a Horse
  • Ladybug Girl
  • We Honestly Can Look After Your Dog
  • Those Darn Squirrels Fly South
  • The Easter Egg
  • Arthur Lost and Found (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • A Mother for Choco
  • Ollie's Easter Eggs (Gossie and Friends)
  • Amelia Bedelia's Family Album
  • Take Care, Good Knight
  • Olivia Goes to Venice
Since the publication of Fancy Nancy, Jane O'Connor's closet now boasts so many boas, tiaras, and sparkly ensembles that sometimes friends do not recognize her on the street. She still resides (that's a fancy word for lives) in New York City with her family and their canine companion, Arrow. --from the publisher's website
More about Jane O'Connor...
Fancy Nancy Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly Fancy Nancy and the Posh Puppy Fancy Nancy: Splendiferous Christmas Fancy Nancy's Favorite Fancy Words: From Accessories to Zany