Start by marking “The Epistle to the Romans” as Want to Read:
The Epistle to the Romans

The Epistle to the Romans (The New International Commentary on the New Testament)

4.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  580 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Douglas Moo's work on the Epistle to the Romans is part of The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Prepared by some of the world's leading scholars, the series provides an exposition of the New Testament books that is thorough and fully abreast of modern scholarship yet faithful to the Scriptures as the infallible Word of God.
Published September 30th 1996 by William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Epistle to the Romans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Epistle to the Romans

Matthew
This was probably the most I have ever enjoyed reading a commentary (which is good considering it was 941 pages of commentary...). Moo is a thorough scholar, a lucid writer, and weaves academic research and devotional prose together extremely well here. I read this for an exegesis class on Romans, but I was personally helped by reading this quite a bit. I also read Tom Schreiner's commentary on the Greek text with this. I tended to side with Schreiner more on questions of the Law and it's applic ...more
Mike Curtiss
May 16, 2007 Mike Curtiss rated it it was amazing
Great Romans commentary. Presents multiple views on lots of important exegetical questions. I especially liked his treatment of the end of Romans 7. (No, I haven't read the whole thing!)
Frank Peters
Sep 10, 2013 Frank Peters rated it it was ok
After seeing such high ratings, I purchased this commentary as part of my study in Romans. Then, over the last five months, I have systematically read through the book. Now that I am done, I feel relief. It was not a pleasant read, nor was it particularly enlightening. I chose the word “enlightening” carefully, because the commentary was certainly filled with a great amount of academic details and was therefore often quite interesting. The problem I felt with the book was that it seemed separate ...more
Jack Stewart
Mar 29, 2014 Jack Stewart rated it it was amazing
I have not found, and very much doubt I could find, a better commentary on Romans. Extremely helpful and clear. Skilfully untangles some of the complex strands of Pauline thought, hits the balance well on controversial subjects and is humble in desisting from imposition on that which is not clear.
This would be the book I would give to anyone undertaking an in-depth study or teaching series on Romans.
Vanjr
Oct 04, 2015 Vanjr rated it really liked it
Shelves: christan, commentary
This a a conservative Christian commentary on the book of Romans in the Bible. It is in what I now consider my favorite series of commentaries-abbreviated NICNT/NICOT-New International Commentary on the Old or New Testament. It is non-partisan. It explains what the text says and does not really try to make the text justify any particular denominational opinion which I really like. Some commentaries are devotional-with a focus on what does the text say to ME or how can this be applied today. This ...more
Sterling
Jan 01, 2016 Sterling rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reading
Valuable book, but was way too detailed, so I quit at the end of chapter 1.
Chuck Bonadies
Jan 31, 2011 Chuck Bonadies rated it it was amazing
Outstanding commentary on Romans!

Moo interacts very well with the New Perspective on Paul. His explanation of "the righteousness of God" and "works of law" (excursus form)is very helpful. He appears to offer something of a nuanced Lutheran view throughout the book. By far, my favorite commentary on Romans.

CB
Paul
Jan 27, 2008 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: commentary
Excellent commentary on Romans. Easily in the top 5 ever, so say I! Reformed (broadly). Has some sympathy with New Covenant Theology ideas.
Darby Stouffer
May 06, 2013 Darby Stouffer rated it really liked it
Shelves: spring-semester
Well laid out. Only complaint is his seeming disdain for any notion of the Mosaic Law being at all relevant today, even the moral law.
Jesse
Nov 12, 2012 Jesse rated it it was amazing
This is almost universally accepted as the best commentary on Romans. I would agree. Buy it and read it!
Mike Holmes
May 23, 2013 Mike Holmes rated it it was amazing
Excellent Commentary. In depth and cognizant of many of the current issues related to Pauline studies.
Brian
Mar 02, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing
I'm reading through most of this commentary while preaching through Romans. Excellent!
James B
Mar 28, 2011 James B rated it it was ok
slugging my way through it after 7+years..ugh but I'm halfway!!
Steve Shuford
Jun 05, 2008 Steve Shuford rated it really liked it
This too is a great commentary on Romans. I learned a lot from it.
Jason
Feb 02, 2012 Jason added it
A must-have commentary on Romans
Jay Risner
May 27, 2009 Jay Risner rated it really liked it
Really, really good work done here.
Clint
Apr 11, 2014 Clint rated it really liked it
7.5 out of 10
Ekiminhanmail.Net
Ekiminhanmail.Net marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
James
James rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Kristopher
Kristopher marked it as to-read
Margaret
Margaret rated it really liked it
Zach Sparkman
Zach Sparkman rated it it was amazing
Ka'Lisa
Ka'Lisa rated it really liked it
Darin Vogt
Darin Vogt rated it really liked it
Tim Wilson
Tim Wilson marked it as to-read
Kirby
Kirby marked it as to-read
dave kakish
dave kakish is currently reading it
Jason Bratcher
Jason Bratcher rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2016
  • Romans
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
  • The Book of the Acts, Revised
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Message of Romans: God's Good News for the World
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • The Book of Revelation, Revised
  • Leviticus
  • The Gospel of Luke
  • The Gospel of Matthew
  • 1 Peter (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Genesis 1-15 (Word Biblical Commentary #1)
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics: An Exegetical Syntax of the New Testament
  • Joshua: No Falling Words
  • Psalms 73-150
Douglas J. Moo (PhD, University of St. Andrews) is Kenneth T. Wessner Professor of New Testament at Wheaton College Graduate School in Wheaton, Illinois. He is the author of commentaries on Romans, James, 2 Peter and Jude, and Colossians and Philemon and coauthor of An Introduction to the New Testament. He also headed the committee on Bible translation for the NIV revision.
More about Douglas J. Moo...

The New International Commentary on the New Testament (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Gospel of Matthew
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Gospel of Luke