Start by marking “The Epistle to the Romans” as Want to Read:
The Epistle to the Romans

The Epistle to the Romans (The New International Commentary on the New Testament)

Douglas Moo's work on the Epistle to the Romans is part of The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Prepared by some of the world's leading scholars, the series provides an exposition of the New Testament books that is thorough and fully abreast of modern scholarship yet faithful to the Scriptures as the infallible Word of God.
Published September 30th 1996 by Eerdmans

To ask other readers questions about The Epistle to the Romans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Epistle to the Romans

Matthew
This was probably the most I have ever enjoyed reading a commentary (which is good considering it was 941 pages of commentary...). Moo is a thorough scholar, a lucid writer, and weaves academic research and devotional prose together extremely well here. I read this for an exegesis class on Romans, but I was personally helped by reading this quite a bit. I also read Tom Schreiner's commentary on the Greek text with this. I tended to side with Schreiner more on questions of the Law and it's applic ...more
Annie
Sep 12, 2016 Annie rated it really liked it
Everything you want to know about the sticking points of Romans and the kitchen sink is in this monster too. How do people write stuff like this? Who is this Moo guy? Could use a new less frightening cover design.
George Scanlan
May 02, 2016 George Scanlan rated it it was amazing
Such a great exegetical commentary. Like the other entries in this series of commentaries, this volume is extremely scholarly in scope and approach, but a wealth of knowledge and expertise that would supplement any serious study of Romans.
Ryan Linkous
Jan 27, 2016 Ryan Linkous rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful commentary. It serves as a model for all biblical commentaries.
Mike Curtiss
May 15, 2007 Mike Curtiss rated it it was amazing
Great Romans commentary. Presents multiple views on lots of important exegetical questions. I especially liked his treatment of the end of Romans 7. (No, I haven't read the whole thing!)
Ryan Boyer
Mar 08, 2017 Ryan Boyer rated it it was amazing
Moo is an exceptional commentator. I've read this entire commentary at least twice over the last twenty years. Continues to teach me.
Frank Peters
May 25, 2012 Frank Peters rated it it was ok
After seeing such high ratings, I purchased this commentary as part of my study in Romans. Then, over the last five months, I have systematically read through the book. Now that I am done, I feel relief. It was not a pleasant read, nor was it particularly enlightening. I chose the word “enlightening” carefully, because the commentary was certainly filled with a great amount of academic details and was therefore often quite interesting. The problem I felt with the book was that it seemed separate ...more
Vanjr
Sep 19, 2014 Vanjr rated it really liked it
Shelves: christan, commentary
This a a conservative Christian commentary on the book of Romans in the Bible. It is in what I now consider my favorite series of commentaries-abbreviated NICNT/NICOT-New International Commentary on the Old or New Testament. It is non-partisan. It explains what the text says and does not really try to make the text justify any particular denominational opinion which I really like. Some commentaries are devotional-with a focus on what does the text say to ME or how can this be applied today. This ...more
Scot Schieferstein
Again, I have not read the commentary in its entirety since I was co-teaching a class and only had time to dig into the relevant passages on what I taught.

In conjunction with Schreiner's commentary, you cannot go wrong consulting one of the leading scholars on Romans in Moo. Like Schreiner (who comes after Moo's commentary) the author is well-balanced and engages interpretations of the Book of Romans in a winsome way. You will clearly understand the issues of interpretation and find Moo to be re
Jack Stewart
Mar 29, 2014 Jack Stewart rated it it was amazing
I have not found, and very much doubt I could find, a better commentary on Romans. Extremely helpful and clear. Skilfully untangles some of the complex strands of Pauline thought, hits the balance well on controversial subjects and is humble in desisting from imposition on that which is not clear.
This would be the book I would give to anyone undertaking an in-depth study or teaching series on Romans.
Chuck Bonadies
Jan 31, 2011 Chuck Bonadies rated it it was amazing
Outstanding commentary on Romans!

Moo interacts very well with the New Perspective on Paul. His explanation of "the righteousness of God" and "works of law" (excursus form)is very helpful. He appears to offer something of a nuanced Lutheran view throughout the book. By far, my favorite commentary on Romans.

CB
Caleb Bissett
May 13, 2016 Caleb Bissett rated it it was amazing
I have worked through much of this commentary and Moo's work is just outstanding. Even when one disagrees they will appreciate where he is coming from and how he has carefully thought through each passage and the book as a whole.
Steve Shuford
Jun 05, 2008 Steve Shuford rated it really liked it
This too is a great commentary on Romans. I learned a lot from it.
Mike Holmes
May 23, 2013 Mike Holmes rated it it was amazing
Excellent Commentary. In depth and cognizant of many of the current issues related to Pauline studies.
Sterling
Jan 01, 2016 Sterling rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reading
Valuable book, but was way too detailed, so I quit at the end of chapter 1.
Brian
Mar 02, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing
I'm reading through most of this commentary while preaching through Romans. Excellent!
Jason
Feb 02, 2012 Jason added it
A must-have commentary on Romans
James B
Jan 06, 2011 James B rated it it was ok
slugging my way through it after 7+years..ugh but I'm halfway!!
Darby Stouffer
May 06, 2013 Darby Stouffer rated it really liked it
Shelves: spring-semester
Well laid out. Only complaint is his seeming disdain for any notion of the Mosaic Law being at all relevant today, even the moral law.
Marty Taylor
Nov 10, 2016 Marty Taylor rated it really liked it
Great resource for a very thorough study of Romans
Jesse
Jun 24, 2012 Jesse rated it it was amazing
This is almost universally accepted as the best commentary on Romans. I would agree. Buy it and read it!
Jay Risner
May 27, 2009 Jay Risner rated it really liked it
Really, really good work done here.
Paul
Jan 27, 2008 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: commentary
Excellent commentary on Romans. Easily in the top 5 ever, so say I! Reformed (broadly). Has some sympathy with New Covenant Theology ideas.
Raghavendra Rao
Raghavendra Rao rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2014
Mathew Neahring
Mathew Neahring rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2017
Kevin Walker
Kevin Walker rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2014
Robert Hefner
Robert Hefner rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2014
Matthew Fretwell
Matthew Fretwell rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
  • Romans
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
  • The Book of the Acts
  • The Letter to the Ephesians
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Book of Revelation
  • The Book of Leviticus (New International Commentary on the Old Testament)
  • The Message of Romans: God's Good News for the World
  • The Gospel of Luke
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • The Gospel according to Mark
  • 1 Peter (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries)
  • Acts (Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Book of Proverbs, Chapters 1-15
  • Psalms 73-150
  • 1 Samuel: Looking on the Heart (Focus on the Bible Commentaries)
Douglas J. Moo (PhD, University of St. Andrews) is Kenneth T. Wessner Professor of New Testament at Wheaton College Graduate School in Wheaton, Illinois. He is the author of commentaries on Romans, James, 2 Peter and Jude, and Colossians and Philemon and coauthor of An Introduction to the New Testament. He also headed the committee on Bible translation for the NIV revision.
More about Douglas J. Moo...

The New International Commentary on the New Testament (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Gospel of Matthew
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Gospel of Luke