Start by marking “The Epistle to the Romans” as Want to Read:
The Epistle to the Romans

The Epistle to the Romans (The New International Commentary on the New Testament)

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  329 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Douglas Moo's work on the Epistle to the Romans is part of The New International Commentary on the New Testament. Prepared by some of the world's leading scholars, the series provides an exposition of the New Testament books that is thorough and fully abreast of modern scholarship yet faithful to the Scriptures as the infallible Word of God.
Published September 30th 1996 by Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about The Epistle to the Romans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Epistle to the Romans

Matthew Robbins
This was probably the most I have ever enjoyed reading a commentary (which is good considering it was 941 pages of commentary...). Moo is a thorough scholar, a lucid writer, and weaves academic research and devotional prose together extremely well here. I read this for an exegesis class on Romans, but I was personally helped by reading this quite a bit. I also read Tom Schreiner's commentary on the Greek text with this. I tended to side with Schreiner more on questions of the Law and it's applic...more
Mike Curtiss
Great Romans commentary. Presents multiple views on lots of important exegetical questions. I especially liked his treatment of the end of Romans 7. (No, I haven't read the whole thing!)
Darby Stouffer
Well laid out. Only complaint is his seeming disdain for any notion of the Mosaic Law being at all relevant today, even the moral law.
Frank Peters
After seeing such high ratings, I purchased this commentary as part of my study in Romans. Then, over the last five months, I have systematically read through the book. Now that I am done, I feel relief. It was not a pleasant read, nor was it particularly enlightening. I chose the word “enlightening” carefully, because the commentary was certainly filled with a great amount of academic details and was therefore often quite interesting. The problem I felt with the book was that it seemed separate...more
Jack Stewart
I have not found, and very much doubt I could find, a better commentary on Romans. Extremely helpful and clear. Skilfully untangles some of the complex strands of Pauline thought, hits the balance well on controversial subjects and is humble in desisting from imposition on that which is not clear.
This would be the book I would give to anyone undertaking an in-depth study or teaching series on Romans.
Josh Russell
I see why many say this is the best Romans commentary. Loved it.
Chuck Bonadies
Outstanding commentary on Romans!

Moo interacts very well with the New Perspective on Paul. His explanation of "the righteousness of God" and "works of law" (excursus form)is very helpful. He appears to offer something of a nuanced Lutheran view throughout the book. By far, my favorite commentary on Romans.

CB
Paul
Excellent commentary on Romans. Easily in the top 5 ever, so say I! Reformed (broadly). Has some sympathy with New Covenant Theology ideas.
Jesse
This is almost universally accepted as the best commentary on Romans. I would agree. Buy it and read it!
Mike Holmes
Excellent Commentary. In depth and cognizant of many of the current issues related to Pauline studies.
Brian
I'm reading through most of this commentary while preaching through Romans. Excellent!
James B
slugging my way through it after 7+years..ugh but I'm halfway!!
Steve Shuford
This too is a great commentary on Romans. I learned a lot from it.
Jason
Feb 02, 2012 Jason added it
A must-have commentary on Romans
Jay Risner
Really, really good work done here.
Clint
7.5 out of 10
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Randy Rzetelny
Randy Rzetelny marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Matthew Shedd
Matthew Shedd marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
  • The Gospel according to John (Pillar New Testament Commentary)
  • The First Epistle to the Corinthians
  • The Book of the Acts, Revised
  • Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament
  • The Message of Romans: God's Good News for the World
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics: An Exegetical Syntax of the New Testament
  • Greek New Testament
  • Studies in the Sermon on the Mount
  • Lexical Aids for Students of New Testament Greek
  • A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament & Other Early Christian Literature
  • Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship
  • The IVP Bible Background Commentary: New Testament
  • The Justification of God: An Exegetical and Theological Study of Romans 9:1-23
  • The Theology of the Book of Revelation (New Testament Theology)
  • John (St. Andrew's Expositional Commentary)
  • A Survey of the Old Testament (Second Edition)
  • A Theology of the New Testament
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
Douglas J. Moo (PhD, University of St. Andrews) is Kenneth T. Wessner Professor of New Testament at Wheaton College Graduate School in Wheaton, Illinois. He is the author of commentaries on Romans, James, 2 Peter and Jude, and Colossians and Philemon and coauthor of An Introduction to the New Testament. He also headed the committee on Bible translation for the NIV revision.
More about Douglas J. Moo...
The Letter of James (Pillar New Testament Commentary) The Letters to the Colossians and to Philemon Encountering the Book of Romans: A Theological Survey Romans : the NIV application commentary from biblical text ... to contemporary life 2 Peter, Jude (The NIV Application Commentary)