Start by marking “Happy Never After (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #4)” as Want to Read:
Happy Never After (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #4)

Happy Never After (Callahan Garrity Mystery #4)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  1,490 Ratings  ·  82 Reviews
Since retiring from the Atlanta Police Department, Callahan Garrity is really cleaning up with her House Mouse housecleaning company -- especially since she added"crime investigation" to the list of services offered.

Published December 28th 2004 by Avon (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Happy Never After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Never After

Marleen
Mar 01, 2014 Marleen rated it really liked it
On a hunch I picked this book out of a bargain bin not knowing what to expect. It turned out this was an easy and entertaining read about a former Atlanta cop named Callahan Garrity, who quit the force and started running a cleaning service with her mother from their house, while doing some private detecting on the side. This is actually the 4th book in the series, but I didn’t feel like I missed out on prior history with these characters. Callahan accepts to search for Delores, the long lost si ...more
L8blmr
Sep 22, 2014 L8blmr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read that this Callahan Garrity story was going to be about a singing group from the sixties and the music industry in Georgia, I thought it just might be my favorite in the series so far. However, it occurred to me about halfway through the book that I really do not like Callahan that much (nor her mother Edna, as a matter of fact). Therefore, I had to rely on the mystery and the locales I might recognize to keep me reading and neither of those factors met my expectations this time aroun ...more
Charlyn
(So, not only does the blurb on the back of the book have the plot wrong, the name of a character is spelled wrong, too.) Callahan is initially hired to look for Delores, the missing member of the VelvetTeens who is needed so the former trio can work on a movie about their career and maybe stage a comeback. Instead, Callahan finds Rita, another member, passed out drunk with a gun in her hand, the gun that killed the VelvetTeens' former manager. Callahan's focus now shifts to find the real murder ...more
Alex
Aug 20, 2015 Alex rated it really liked it
This is a Mary Kay Andrews book. She is writing as Trocheck.
Deanna
Feb 19, 2017 Deanna rated it liked it
Shelves: library-digital, 2017
cute, didn't guess the killer.
Susan
Dec 21, 2016 Susan rated it did not like it
Didn't finish. Too many swear words.
Frank
Aug 29, 2015 Frank rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
[library audiobook, plot summary elsewhere]

My rating is how much fun it would be to read this book. Normally this would be close to a 4. It seems to be early in the Callahan Garrity series. It has some nice research detail about the music industry and black performers. Having read subsequent books in this series, I know that the break with "Mac" will not be permanent...

The problem with the book is the obligatory Perils of Pauline sequence at the end. Consistent with the series, Garrity always wa
Tiffany
Sep 05, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it
Happy Never After was rereleased this year and is the 4th book in the Callahan Garrity series. In this book from the series, Callahan is tasked with finding the third member of a now defunct girl group from the 60s called the Velvet Teens. The other two members of the group, her cousin and sister, have not seen her for 20 years. The search is on as a movie producer wants to use some of the Velvet Teens' old songs in a movie and possibly record new tracks with the group. Unfortunately along the w ...more
Neva Williams
May 02, 2016 Neva Williams rated it liked it
I have always enjoyed books by this author (aka Mary Kay Andrews). This is one of her earlier novels and I listened to the audiobook. Didn't like it at first - although I love audiobooks and normally the only difference I see between books and audiobooks, is that I can do other things while listening to audiobooks, which makes for a productive day. In this case, I believe it was the narration I didn't really like. I prefer that a book just be read to me, maybe occasionally changing voices just a ...more
Judy Collins
I am in the process of reading the Callahan Garrity Mystery Series-- not entirely in order; however, each can be a standalone, as these are being released this year. This was #4 and Kathy Hogan Trocheck (Mary Kay Andrews) always adds spice and humor with her sassy southern belles.

With the housekeeping business (House Mouse) and her detective work, the array of colorful characters (quite eccentric) are always into some sort of mischief. This time, Callahan is trying to track down a missing membe
Debbie Maskus
Aug 27, 2009 Debbie Maskus rated it liked it
This is Trocheck's (Mary Kay Andrews) first series about a private investigator/maid service owner named Callahan Garrity and set in Atlanta. This is the 4th in the series, I had read the prior three novels many years ago, and decided to return to this series, since I am not employed. The characters in Trocheck's series are everyday people, but some of the characters are very comic, like the two old sisters: Baby and Sister, who are over 80 and still clean and help with investigating. This novel ...more
LJ
HAPPY NEVER AFTER - G
Trocheck, Kathy Hogan - 4th in Callahan Garrity series

Callahan agrees to locate the missing member of the popular '60s girl group, the VelvetTeens, and she doesn't have to search long. Deloras Carter, the a.w.o.l. singer, is found passed out drunk by a swimming p
Katy
Jul 27, 2015 Katy rated it liked it
It's not summer (or any other season) if you are not reading Mary Kay Andrews. This is an earlier writing--mid 1990s, when she was writing as Kathy Hogan Trocheck, about retired Atlanta police detective turned House Mouse housecleaning maven Callahan Macgarity.

Have you ever wondered what happened to some of the girl bands from your youth? Callahan sort of, somewhat had heard of the black girl band VelveTeens when a friend's ex-wife hires her to find a missing member of the group. No one had hear
I just finished this book, the most recent in this series, but I was a little disappointed. I think it was very drawn out, with too much going on. Callahan is hired to find a missing sister by her sisters, that made up a girl band from the 60's, due to a movie deal that would feature the group, however, when there old manager Stu turns up dead, one of the sisters is a prime suspect. Many twists & turns, interesting characters, murder, & mystery, for me it was all too much for one book. I ...more
Kathy
Jan 18, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
Another book in the Callahan Garrity series. Callahan is hired to track down the missing third girl from a 60's trio. A simple tracking assignment turns out into murder when one of the women is found dead drunk and passed out holding the gun that killed their old manager whose body is lying there. There's a lot of insight into the world of the music industry of that era up until the 90's when the book was written. fast moving and very enjoyable.
Darlene
6/29/2015 I reread this book / ebook version. I really don't remember reading it before except for the breakup. I had forgotten how much I did like the Callihan Garrity mystery novels. I don't remember why I only gave my previous reading a 3 star but several years later I am going
to give it a 3.85. I may read them all over again.
Pr Latta
[audio] Narrator did a fine job. This could almost be "historical" in the focus on the black experience in Georgia in the 1990's (or earlier) which might be offensive to some. Once again, I find the insertion of Callahan's breast cancer to be superfluous. Cute, convoluted mystery sprinkled with some serious topics.
Nicole
Mar 06, 2016 Nicole rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this Callahan Garrity novel! It is a fun series by Kathy Hogan Trocheck (Mary Kay Andrews). This was a great mystery involving motown, the record business, "current" (1994) events as well as events from the 1960's. It had a few more serious moments than I had noticed in previous books in the series.
Janet Martin
Jan 12, 2014 Janet Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent mystery--I enjoyed the story about the music business quite a lot, although the main character was a bit short tempered and self destructive in this episode. Hilary Huber's performance turned it from a slightly better than ordinary read into a terrific listen.
Kate Copeseeley
Nov 13, 2016 Kate Copeseeley rated it really liked it
This one took me a bit longer to get into, but by first quarter of the book I was totally involved. Once again, I love the narrator and the interactions between all the characters. I will be sad when I'm all out of these books.
Marilyn Groves
Apr 18, 2014 Marilyn Groves rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, light, 4
A sidetrip back to the 60s Motown music when Callahan is hired to find one of the members of a singing group so they can have a comeback. Callahan ends up delving into the workings of an independent record label, which was interesting as well.
Kitty Tomlinson
Sep 07, 2010 Kitty Tomlinson rated it liked it
Callahan hires on to find missing Velveteen (1960s teenage Motown like pop band) member for a musical reunion but gets mixed up in murder when one of the other members is accused of murder. [Fun read. Read 8-21-2010]
Amara
Jul 13, 2015 Amara rated it it was ok
eh. I didn't like the first one in the series very much, and now I know not to go back for more --even if they're available for free on pioneer. I wonder why May Kay Andrews goes by so many nomes de plume?
Linda
Aug 02, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
Callahan Garrity, owner of the House Mouse cleaning service, has been asked to locate a missing member of an oldie singing group. During her search for the missing woman, she gets involved in a murder case. And one of her clients is accused of the murder.
Kelly
Mar 09, 2010 Kelly rated it really liked it
I always enjoy these books. I picked up one at a used book store on a whim because of the title, and I have read every other one that I can find. They are light hearted with great, memorable characters. I highly recommend them to mystery lovers who enjoy a light read.
Erin
Oct 04, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Callahan Garrity mystery murder. Loved it as usual. These books are such quick easy reads. Great beach pool books.
Rushbug23
Feb 18, 2015 Rushbug23 rated it really liked it
ooouu can't wait to know what happens between Callahan and mack
Janet
Dec 20, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
A good mystery with lots of fun stuff tucked in. I enjoyed the music references. And now I have to listen to the next book to find out what happens. This one left us with some questions.
Bonnie
Jun 07, 2016 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was another very entertaining book in this series.
Meredith
Mar 12, 2010 Meredith rated it it was ok
These kind of drag on and on to me, and then poof, mystery's solved. Only saving factor is that real, dangerous/bad things happen to the main characters.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #28 - Happy Never After 1 3 Apr 16, 2014 06:19AM
  • Blue Christmas (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #3)
  • Dead Ex
  • Just Different Devils (Hetta Coffey Series #7)
  • Murder on a Bad Hair Day (Southern Sisters, #2)
  • Death in an English Cottage (Murder on Location #2)
  • Misty Gordon and the Mystery of the Ghost Pirates
  • Wilma Tenderfoot and the Case of the Putrid Poison
  • Peaches and Screams (Savannah Reid, #7)
  • Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)
  • The More the Terrier (Pet Rescue Mystery #2)
  • Candle Man: The Society of Dread (Candle Man, #2)
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • Did You Declare the Corpse? (Thoroughly Southern, #8)
aka Mary Kay Andrews

Kathy Hogan Trocheck is the author of critically acclaimed mysteries, including the Callahan Garrity mystery series. A former reporter for the Atlanta Journal Constitution, she is also the author of Little Bitty Lies and the Edgar®- and Macavity-nominated Savannah Blues, under the name Mary Kay Andrews.
More about Kathy Hogan Trocheck...

Callahan Garrity Mystery (8 books)
  • Every Crooked Nanny (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #1)
  • To Live & Die in Dixie (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #2)
  • Homemade Sin (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #3)
  • Heart Trouble (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #5)
  • Strange Brew (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #6)
  • Midnight Clear (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #7)
  • Irish Eyes (Callahan Garrity Mystery, #8)