Start by marking “Aunts Aren't Gentlemen (Jeeves, #15)” as Want to Read:
Aunts Aren't Gentlemen (Jeeves, #15)

Aunts Aren't Gentlemen (Jeeves #15)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  3,652 ratings  ·  240 reviews
A tome of well-mannered high comedy, from the "unrivaled master of the comedy of manners" - Entertainment Weekly

In 'Aunts Aren't Gentlemen' Bertie Wooster withdraws to the village of Maiden Eggesford on doctor's orders to "sleep the sleep of the just and lead the quiet Martini-less life.

Only the presence of the irrepressible Aunt Dahlia shatters the rustic peace.

A classic
Published February 24th 1977 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about Aunts Aren't Gentlemen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aunts Aren't Gentlemen

The Code of the Woosters by P.G. WodehouseRight Ho, Jeeves by P.G. WodehouseThe Inimitable Jeeves by P.G. WodehouseLeave It to Psmith by P.G. WodehouseVery Good, Jeeves! by P.G. Wodehouse
Best P.G. Wodehouse
21st out of 103 books — 93 voters
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyThe Magician's Nephew by C.S. LewisThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerWives and Daughters by Elizabeth GaskellThe Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey
Kin
46th out of 702 books — 75 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason Koivu
A case of pink spots on Bertie's chest (maybe it's a touch of malaria, who's to say?) sends him to the country on doctor's orders to rest and relax. Rest and relax? If you've ever read a Wodehouse, you know that's not bloody likely.

Troublesome aunts, daffy explorers, strong-willed dames along with their ardent suitors, crusty landlords, and charming cats all conspire against poor old Bertie Wooster. His butler Jeeves seems to be his only ally in this perpetually-yet-vaguely 1920s, god-help-us wo
Jason Koivu

Trevor
Aunts aren’t gentlemen

I think it is really important to have someone, a writer someone obviously, that you can turn to when the world is getting a bit out of hand. For me that someone is Mr Wodehouse and in particular his Jeeves and Wooster novels. It is hard to explain just how much I enjoy these stories. Look, I can understand that some people might find them over-the-top and even a bit silly, perhaps even a lot silly – but I love the worlds Wodehouse creates, the worlds he brings me to when I
F.R.
A small extract for you:

“For one thing,” she said, “you smoke too much. You must give that up when we are married. Smoking is just a habit. Tolstoy,” she said, mentioning someone I had not met, “says that just as much pleasure can be got from twirling the fingers.”
My impulse was to tell her Tolstoy was off his onion, but I choked down the heated words.

Okay then, here’s another:

“Let’s haggle,” I said.
But when I suggested twenty-five, a nicer-looking sort of number than thirty, he shook his grey h
Melissa
"If she ever turned into a werewolf, it would be one of those jolly breezy werewolves whom it is a pleasure to know."

And then my personal favorite: "Oh, that was my man Jeeves. He imitates cats."
Cecily
Not one of the best Wodehouse novels, but still an amusing romp.

This particular story is actually narrated by Bertie Wooster and the slightly modern setting is disconcerting on the rare occasions it impinges. Anyway, Bertie gets pink spots on his chest and his doctor prescribes a restful spell in the country. Of course, life in a quiet English village is anything but quiet.

It has many of the aspects of classic Wodehouse: feuding neighbours, plots to purloin/borrow/kidnap/nobble, an absent-minde
Isa Lavinia
This wasn't one of my Jeeves & Wooster favourites (perhaps because it was the last...).
It was just a touch too modern, especially when you go into a Wodehouse story expecting the pre-war slang and lightheartedness.

Still, it was amusing! PGW always has the flair for description, for instance, referring to a fellow calming down as: "he went off the boil."

And a marvellous description of Bertie Wooster by Bertie Wooster: "I was more the sort that is content just to exist beautifully."
Which I s
Eilonwy

I hate this title, and always think of this under its real title of Aunts Aren't Gentlemen. Such an enjoyable read.
Alysa
"I would gladly have continued our conversation, but I knew he must be wanting to get back to his Spinoza. No doubt I had interrupted him just as Spinoza was on the point of solving the mystery of the headless body on the library floor."

Three words: I love Wodehouse.
Wendy
Not quite as good as the earlier ones, but still a great deal of fun. Highly recommend!
Libbeth
I will use this "review" for all the P. G. Wodehouse I have read. I read them all so long ago and enjoyed them so much that I have given them all 5 stars. As I re-read them I will adjust the stars accordingly, if necessary, and add a proper review.
When I first discovered P. G. Wodehouse I devoured every book I could find in the local library, throughout the eighties and early nineties. Alas, this means that I have read most of them and stumbling across one I have not read is a rare thing. I'm su
Maureen
another rollicking adventure with jeeves and wooster. bertie manages to get himself a rash and a prescription for country air. it gets harder to distinguish the tales wodehouse tells of these two characters, especially when he is forever referencing other stories he's told about them while he's telling you new ones. i will remember this one as the one with the horse who was in love with a cat, that made funny jokes about bird watching. :P
HelenFey
For the title alone... PG caught me at an impressionable age and shaped the foundations of what funny is, at least in my brain.
I am a hopeless lover of Wodehouse (and the BBC dramatisations- one time the screening captures the soul of the book, and has a wonderful theme song).
Likethereporter
My first encounter with Wooster & Jeeves, and co. Won't be the last. I laughed so hard I cried, and my dog came over to inquire whether I was quite all right, and if so, could I please stop making those hideous noises?
J.
This was the last novel that was fully completed by Wodehouse before his death. Bertie is feeling a little under the weather and is advised by his doctor to repair to the country. Bertie heads off to Maiden Eggesford in Somerset to stay in a cottage. Jimmy Briscoe and Pop Cook are involved in a local rivalry involving their race horses Simla and Potato Chip who are due to race. Aunt Dahlia has a vested interest in Simla winning so comes up with a dastardly scheme involving the kidnapping of a ca ...more
From BBC Radio 4 - Book at Bedtime:
Blake Ritson reads a classic Jeeves and Wooster story from PG Wodehouse. Abridged by Richard Hamilton
Devon
Second Wodehouse book that I've read (and second Jeeves & Wooster, too)!

I'm fairly certain I'm not reading them in the order they were written/published (I started with Carry On, Jeeves), but the wonderful thing about the Jeeves & Wooster series is, it seems, that you can pick up and go at will and it won't really bungle things too massively.

One of the reasons I have enjoyed the bits so much is because you can follow it so leisurely. If I had wanted to take time, I could have, but instea
Howl
Keep in mind that my rating for this book is on the Wodehouse Scale, where other book ratings don't apply. I liked this book more than Snow Crash, a fellow 3-star recipient, and orders of magnitude more than Apathy and Other Small Victories, only one star behind. The Wodehouse Scale is the only way to rate old Plum, I think. It's on a different plane of existence, where one star would still probably be funnier than Apathy and five stars is very nearly the best thing ever put to paper.

Anyway, of
Herb
May 08, 2013 Herb rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I liked this book. I had never read any of his books before and just picked this one at random. The reason I didn't give this book a 4 or 5 star rating is that the author has an annoying habit of abbrev. a lot of things, esp. when the main character gets excited. This is clever in small portions, like a plateful of bacon and e. I had already started reading the book however and enjoying it a lot, even laughing out loud at many parts when I decided to look up and see if someone could expl. this s ...more
Ian Wood
In ‘Aunts Aren’t Gentlemen’ an out of sorts Bertie retires to We Nook in Maiden Eggesford where his Aunt Dahlia is staying with Jimmy Briscoe whilst Major Plank is staying with Pop Cook. We previously met Major Plank in the company of Uncle Fred at Ashenden Manor in ‘Uncle Dynamite’ and with Wooster and Jeeves in ‘Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves’ when he formed the impression that Bertie was international thief Alpine Joe.

Both Briscoe and Cook have horses running in the Jubilee Stakes with the populous
Ryan
I needed my Wodehouse fix recently, and this book fit the bill nicely. It's not the best in the Jeeves and Wooster series, but it's a quick, funny read.

One reason this isn't at the top of the Jeeves and Wooster canon is that Jeeves is absent for (roughly) half of the book. I can't say that I understand Wodehouse's motivation for this, but (as Wooster might say) there it is.

There are so many distinctive characteristics that set Wodehouse apart, I want to highlight just two. His character names ar
Smilingplatypus
This is a fun read that features, like all the Jeeves and Wooster stories, Bertie Wooster getting into unbelievable situations and trying to worm his way out of them in even more unbelievable ways. When he succeeds only in digging himself in deeper, he is inevitably rescued by his unflappable valet (NOT butler), Jeeves.

Wodehouse's command of breezy English is in fine form here, but maybe not top form. I just felt that there was something lacking -- but only when compared with other Wodehouse pro
Mike
Apr 02, 2010 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Another re-titled book. I read it as, "The Cat-Nappers", published by Simon & Schuster - shame on you!

Funny book has many of the plot bits and twists that brings confusion to those in Bertie's vicinity and frustration to our intrepid protagonist. All he wants to do is "get along" and have the world turn with him. But one way or another his friends, relatives, old school chums & acquaintances, and gal pals ensure that he stays off-balance and one or two steps behind.

Another gem in the tal
Kellyann
"Aunt Dahlia is as good a sort as ever said 'Tally Ho' to a fox, which she frequently did in her younger days when out with the Quorn or Pytchley. If she ever turned into a werewolf, it would be one of those jolly breezy werewolves whom it is a pleasure to know." (27)

" 'What asses horse are, Jeeves.'
" 'Certainly their mentality is open to criticism, sir.' " (49)

"So stung was the Wooster pride by the thought of being slung out at her bidding from my personal cottage that it is not too much to say
Samarpita
Read a Wodehouse novel after ages. Made me realise how stupid I had been. Haven't laughed like this while reading a book in a long, long time
Krishna Kumar
This is Wodehouse’s last fully completed novel, as “Sunset at Blandings” was unfinished at his death. Wodehouse’s age shows up in this Bertie Wooster tale, as incidents that would have been funny in an earlier age seem tired cliches. Perhaps Wodehouse could not reconcile the present with the lifestyles inhabited by his beloved characters.

In a strange way, this reminds me of Agatha Christie’s “Curtain”, the last Hercule Poirot novel. That was, at a superficial level, a murder mystery, but it play
Howard
ublished in Great Britain under the title The Cat Nappers, this is the last Jeeves and Wooster story written by Wodehouse.
Bertie has spots on his chest and his doctor recommends some time in the country. He winds up in a location near where his Aunt Dahlia is visiting friends. Bertie almost gets married to a girl he proposed to before. He has two different people who want to beat him up; one wants to pull his insides out; the other want to thrash him within an inch of his life.

All in a week's wo
Marjorie
Very British and very entertaining. A friend recommended these as being good for reading while nursing a baby, as they are easy to pick up and put down -- and she was very right. I thought I didn't like this type of humour (and P.G. Wodehouse certainly had some rather unfortunate views), but the books are so amazingly well written and funny that it's hard not to be amused, even reading them almost a century later. And, as promised, very easy to read in small chunks if desired.
Harker US Library
In Aunts Aren’t Gentlemen, Bertie Wooster and his butler Jeeves, the heroes of fourteen preceding Jeeves and Wooster novels, find themselves embroiled (as usual) in several ridiculous conflicts, all thanks to the meddling of Bertie’s overbearing Aunt Dahlia (also as usual). Not only does Aunt Dahlia want Bertie to sabotage a horse-race so she can beat her rivals in a bet, she also wants him to kidnap a cad from under the nose of one of his many ex-fiancées, Vanessa Cook—who, incidentally, is cur ...more
Kavita
This was another delightful novel featuring Jeeves and Wooster, and one I had not read before. The two take on the twists and turns of life in a rural village, where Aunt Dahlia barges in with her usual demands and threats. After all, aunts aren't gentlemen. It all ends satisfactorily with one marriage, one race won, and Wooster finally finding peace.
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells (Jeeves, #16)
  • The Complete Saki
  • The Complete Yes Minister
  • Evangellyfish
  • Three Men on the Bummel
  • John Macnab (Sir Edward Leithen, #2)
  • The Pirates! In An Adventure With Napoleon
  • Lucia Rising
  • The Diary of a Provincial Lady
  • The Trials of Rumpole
  • Blackadder: The Whole Damn Dynasty, 1485-1917
  • The Hippopotamus
  • Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #15)
  • The Brandons
  • More William (Just William, #2)
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

Jeeves (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1)
  • The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)
  • Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3)
  • Very Good, Jeeves! (Jeeves, #4)
  • Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6)
  • The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7)
  • Joy in the Morning (Jeeves, #8)
  • The Mating Season (Jeeves, #9)
  • Ring for Jeeves (Jeeves, #10)
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)

“Aunts Aren't Gentlemen” 6 likes
“No, I am quite content with you, Bertie. By the way, I do dislike that name Bertie. I think I shall call you Harold. Yes, I am perfectly satisfied with you. You have many faults, of course. I shall be pointing some of them out when I am at leisure.” 3 likes