Song Of Unmaking (White Magic, #2)

Song Of Unmaking (White Magic #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Striving to save the Aurelian Empire, Valeria reached for too much power too quickly and a darkness rooted inside her. Unable to confess the truth, Valeria turns to Kerrec, her former mentor, one of the elite Riders from the Mountain, home of the gods. But Kerrec, too, is deeply wounded and his darkness may be even deeper than hers--and he is refusing to face it. Until his...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Luna Books

To ask other readers questions about Song Of Unmaking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song Of Unmaking

Angela R.
I just finished re-reading thie book, having read it the first time many years ago. I had forgotten how wonderful this series is, and I have to admit that I enjoyed it far more now than the first time I read it. Beign a bit older and more mature, I think I was able to see deeper into the characters. When I read the books the first time, I remember being exasperated with the heroine Valeria. I was seeing things in much more of a black vs. white mentality, and blaming her for making wrong choices....more
Bridgette Redman
The dulcet tones of The Mountain’s Call beckon its readers to the bard’s next number, The Song of Unmaking. If that second song doesn’t quite reach the beauty of her first number, then let’s allow that she’s won our indulgence for a few more bars.

Mind, Caitlin Brennan (aka Judith Tarr) doesn’t do a poor job with the second book in the series. She is still an excellent writer capable of good plotting, easy-flowing dialogue, and interesting characters.

Song of Unmaking picks up several months aft...more
Kerry
Like my previous read, The Dawn Star, Song of Unmaking started out slowly and I was worried that I was going to struggle to read it. It seemed to suffer from that danger that strikes a second book - lack of new action and more consolidation than story. I was happy to be proved wrong.

The beginning shows both Kerrec and Valeria being typically stubborn and refusing to let anyone know they are still damaged from the events of the first book.

Once that is revealed the action really begins, as Kerrec...more
Kaye
This is the second book of a three book series. White horses are Gods, they dance in patterns that will show the future. Their riders are "called" and then tested to become Riders. In the first book Valaria is the first female ever "called." She disguises herself as a boy and passes all the tests, only to be revealed as female and is told she cannot be a rider. Head rider Kerrec takes her as his responsibility and his aide. When this book starts, both Valaria and Kerrec are trying to recover fro...more
Nicole
I truly enjoyed this book, but I found it a little long (the end, while enjoyable, seemed to drag on and I felt it was a bit tacked onto the end). The insight (pyshical, rather than just telling) into the culture and world of the barbarians was interesting and I enjoyed that. Rhodey was also a wonderful character, probably my favourite (it was nice to have a 'normal' guy in there amongst the abnormal, spectacular ones).
Debra Parmley
This is one of the best series I have ever read. I've read this book twice and it was just as good the second time. I highly recommend this series for readers who enjoy this genre.
Edit marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Aug 17, 2014
Candice Banks
Candice Banks marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Alyssa Archambo
Alyssa Archambo marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
  • Sorceress of Faith (The Summoning #2)
  • In Stone's Clasp (Final Dance, #2)
  • Silver's Bane (Shadowlands #2)
  • The Eternal Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #3)
  • The Fire Opal (Lost Continent, #4)
  • The Destined Queen (Umbria, #2)
  • The Heart of Stars (Rhiannon's Ride #3)
  • Path of Blood (Path, #3)
  • Seraphim (Changelings, #1)
  • Charmed Destinies
  • In Camelot's Shadow (The Paths to Camelot, #1)
A pseudonym used by Judith Tarr.

Caitlin Brennan believes wholeheartedly in the writer's favorite adage, "Write what you know." She is a history buff and a lifelong reader and writer of fantasy, and she breeds and trains Lipizzan horses--the original "White Gods." She lives near Tucson, Arizona, with her stallion, Pluto Carrma III, and his herd of Ladies and his rival the Evil Gelding, along with f...more
More about Caitlin Brennan...
The Mountain's Call (White Magic, #1) Shattered Dance (White Magic, #3) House of the Star