Start by marking “Bella Tuscany & Under the Tuscan Sun (2 Book Set)” as Want to Read:
Bella Tuscany & Under the Tuscan Sun (2 Book Set)

Bella Tuscany & Under the Tuscan Sun (2 Book Set)

Published April 4th 2000 by Broadway

To ask other readers questions about Bella Tuscany & Under the Tuscan Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bella Tuscany & Under the Tuscan Sun

Catsalive
Jul 10, 2015 Catsalive rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015

I have made 2 attempts to read this over the last 9 years - the 2nd one today - & neither was successful. I'm not sure what's putting me off. Is it the tiny text or too much excruciating detail? Something is irritating me. I am unable to get past the first 50 pp. or so I'm giving it away. I've lost interest in other people's new-home-new-country memoirs, anyway.
Betty Cheng
Sep 08, 2008 Betty Cheng rated it liked it
Frances Mayes is a good writer. She has a great sense of detail and the ability to transport you. Since she has undertaken the daunting task of purchasing and restoring an Italian farmhouse with 5 acres while residing for only a portion of the year in Italy, she certainly has a story to tell! Her primary focus is on the restoration, the food, the people and Tuscany (in more or less that order). I've resided in another country as well and reading about her experience aroused my admiration for her ...more
Alisa
Dec 24, 2012 Alisa rated it did not like it
After reading Under the Tuscan Sun and disliking it so much, I am not sure why I read this book. A friend bought it for me and I felt obligated to read it I guess. The author is one of the worst I have ever read. She writes to hear herself, not for someone else to. Her overly descriptive rambling loses the average reader and bores to no end the avid reader. If all of her books are like this one and Under the Tuscan Sun I would not recommend any of them.
Shannon
Mar 28, 2008 Shannon rated it really liked it
This book started off pretty good but then slowed a lot for me. I was somewhat surprise by how much I enjoyed hearing the details of her home. It was a fun read but at times a bit slow to the point of me skipping ahead. I really enjoyed the stories of the contractors and all the head aches they caused and her thoughts of the home while back in San Fran.
Sandra Lewis
May 31, 2011 Sandra Lewis rated it it was amazing
I saw the movie with Diane Lane but the book and sequel was much better than the movie. You learned so much about the life in Italy not shown in the movie. I still love the movie a lot tho. But I have found the books that were made into movies are better and go into more detail. It made me want to go to Italy and explore all the wonderful sites there.
sandy lewis
austin texas
Bobbie
Feb 02, 2016 Bobbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I remember liking the movie but I did not enjoy the book. There was no story or plot or anything. It is a long boring account of her renovating a house that she bought in Italy. I have no interest in such things so found it to be very tedious. She also has some great recipes but that's about it.
Ellen
Apr 14, 2008 Ellen rated it it was amazing
love these books, the recipes, the whole idea of living in Italy!
Cathi
Sep 10, 2012 Cathi rated it really liked it
Another Mayes worth the read. A great follow up to the Tuscan Sun
Kellene
Mar 09, 2008 Kellene rated it really liked it
Made me want to move
Kathryn
Oct 04, 2014 Kathryn rated it liked it
Very descriptive with some fun recipes to try. Frances Mayes is a good writer and her books really give you the feel of being in Tuscany.
Tina
Jan 13, 2013 Tina added it
Saved the book to try some of her recipes. WHEN we travel to the area we may use her itinerary. Love the way she writes.
Stephanie
OK, but not as good as her first, Under the Tuscan Sun
Cat
Jul 29, 2016 Cat rated it it was amazing
I read this book ages ago, after seeing the movie of the same name! I just wanted more and this book delivered! I have wanted to visit Tuscany ever since.
Helen C
Aug 17, 2015 Helen C rated it it was amazing
A sensuous book for a sensuous countryside. Enjoyable
Heather
Oct 27, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
can't really relate to owning a villa in tuscany, but it is good to dream right?
Donna
Dec 28, 2012 Donna rated it it was ok
Not as good as Under the Tuscan Sun. Bit of a struggle to get through
Mariah
Aug 09, 2009 Mariah rated it it was amazing
Follow up book for Under the Tuscan Sun. Frances Mayes's love affair with Italy.
Misty Vendl
Jun 25, 2010 Misty Vendl rated it really liked it
Love her elaborate language. Feels like sitting with her on the terrace.
Lynn
Sep 05, 2009 Lynn rated it really liked it
Both of these were good reads. Tuscany is another favourite place of mine (been there twice) and if I was wealthy I too would love to buy and renovate a property there:)
Boyi Guo
Jan 09, 2016 Boyi Guo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can't finish reading. Too tedious for teenager or young adult. Only portray their Italy life in a really slow pace
Maryanne
Maryanne rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2007
Stacey Johnston
Stacey Johnston rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2012
Ovidiu
Ovidiu rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2011
Eleanor
Eleanor rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2012
Melanie
Melanie rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2011
Ellen Gill
Ellen Gill rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2012
David Lowe
David Lowe rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Amanda Himes
Amanda Himes rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2014
Julie Ford
Julie Ford rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2013
  • A Handful of Honey: Away to the Palm Groves of Morocco and Algeria
  • True Pleasures: A Memoir of Women in Paris
  • Sacred Places of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Most Peaceful and Powerful Destinations
  • Shy: A Memoir
  • I Swear I'll Make It Up to You
  • Butterfly Woman
  • Be the Mom
  • The Grand Turk: Sultan Mehmet II-Conqueror of Constantinople and Master of an Empire
  • Why Our Health Matters: A Vision of Medicine That Can Transform Our Future
  • The Queen Jade: A Novel (Red Lion)
  • Accidentally Overweight: Solve Your Weight Loss Puzzle
  • Al Capone: Chicago's King of Crime
  • Preschooler's Busy Book: 365 fun, creative, screen-free activities to stimulate your preschooler every day of the year!
  • Against Gravity
  • Pick Another Checkout Lane, Honey: Learn Coupon Strategies to Save $1000s at the Grocery Store
  • My Year Without Matches: Escaping the City in Search of the Wild
  • Plum Blossoms in Paris
  • Sunday's Silence
Frances Mayes's new book is Under Magnolia: A Southern Memoir , published by Crown. With her husband, Edward Mayes she recently published The Tuscan Sun Cookbook. Every Day in Tuscany is the third volume in her bestselling Tuscany memoir series.

In addition to her Tuscany memoirs, Under the Tuscan Sun and Bella Tuscany , Frances Mayes is the author of the travel memoir A Year in the Wor
More about Frances Mayes...