Start by marking “The Bad Child's Book of Beasts (Illustrated Edition)” as Want to Read:
The Bad Child's Book of Beasts (Illustrated Edition)

The Bad Child's Book of Beasts (Illustrated Edition)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  18 reviews

Joseph Hilaire Pierre Rene Belloc (1870-1953) was one of the most prolific writers in England during the early twentieth century. His best travel writing has secured a permanent following. The Path to Rome (1902), an account of a walking pilgrimage he made from central France across the Alps and down to Rome, has remained continuously in print. More than a mere travelogue,

Published April 18th 2008 by Dodo Press (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about The Bad Child's Book of Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bad Child's Book of Beasts

Charles
'The Bad Child's Book of Beasts' is a charming little book of short poems about animals, with illustrations by Lord Blackwood (BTB).

It is Belloc's style which makes this book unique. It does remind one of Roald Dahl in fact, although 'The Bad Child's Book of Beasts' was written way back in 1896, exactly twenty years before Dahl was born. It is difficult to recommend it to parents nowadays, as its potential of edification (which I believe to be essential in children's literature) for children is
Jim
This is a book that can be read in less than twenty uproarious minutes. Here's a brief example, entitled "The Big Baboon":

The Big Baboon is found upon
The plains of Cariboo.

He goes about
with nothing on

(A shocking thing to do).
But if he
dressed respectably

And let his whiskers grow,
How like this Big Baboon would be

To Mister So-and-So.

Stephanie
Reminded me of Roald Dahl, as some other reviewers have said. Really goofy little verses for children. And watch out for all the shooting of endangered animals! Not very PC for today's standards, lol!
Frederick
Sep 27, 2007 Frederick added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Edward Lear
I was given the Dover paperback of this when I was about nine. I didn't really have an emotion about the book but I did love the line drawings. Dover, at that time, printed mostly facsimiles of first editions. I would place the original printing anywhere between 1899 and 1930. Certainly Belloc lived long enough to enrage a lot of literary snobs when he declared P. G. Wodehouse to be the greatest living writer in the English language, but Wodehouse wrote (and lived) for so long that I can imagine ...more
Jeremiah Bookworm
Originally published in 1896, this zany children's book sold out its first edition within four days. The author, Hilaire Belloc, has fallen into obscurity, but in his day he was a well-known historian, biographer and novelist, as well as a friend of G.K. Chesterton. Belloc's verses are fun and imaginative; however, modern readers may object to a couple of unfortunate prejudicial statements ("the moral of this priceless work...will make you--from a little Turk--unnaturally good" (p.3), "The drome ...more
Jenny
May 27, 2013 Jenny rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny by: Grandpa
Gift from Grandpa to Ruairi in that great dry British style, including "More Beasts for Worse Children" and "A Moral Alphabet."

Such as the entry on D for Dinosaur telling the tale of the happy-go-lucky dino, whose downfall was that he liked to sleep in trees, with the resultant tumble the reason that "His fossil, therefore, comes to light / All broken up: and serve him right. Moral: If you were born to walk the ground, / Remain there; do not fool around." (p 110)

Or "E stands for Egg. Moral: The
Stephen Brooke
Before Dr. Seuss ever dreamed of cats in hats, Hillaire Belloc created his menagerie in verse. There is certainly a similarity between the two authors—their unexpected rhymes, their mildly iconoclastic attitude—though Belloc’s work is, perhaps, more openly artful. There is certainly no attempt to hide the sophistication of the writer.

Alas, the art that originally accompanied the poems had no similar Seussian verve. Still, this very short book is a delight to read.
Torzilla
This book contains a series of poems that are well written that describe the animals in our world. Children will find these tales not only catchy, but fun to listen to and repeat due to all the rhyming.

I found the tales to be entertaining and catchy – most made me grin. The illustrations accompanying this text are even more beautiful than the ones found in East O’ the Sun and West O’ the Moon. Not only are they realistic, but the attention to detail is astounding.
Nicola Gruen
We were reading this book tonight at bedtime when my 8 year old daughter exclaimed, "This is the same as the song I'm singing with the San Francisco Girls Chorus!" She ran straight away to her chorus folder and brought back "Anamalia - Candy Lion, Frog, Turtle Tango" by Earl J. Reisdorff. The frog is identical to the last chapter in this book, originally written in 1896! Quite reinforcing!
Jane
This never fails to make me smile. Before Ogden Nash, there was the divine Mr. Belloc.
The Dodo used to walk about, and take the sun and air,
The sun still warms his native land yet the dodo is not there.
The voice that used to squawk and squeak is now forever dumb,
But you may see his bones and beak all in the Mus-e-um.
Bridget Gould
This was a gift from my grandmother on my 6th birthday. Every year she took me to the bookstore and let me pick out my present. I'm not sure if this book is responsible for my love of monsters, or if that's why I chose it in the first place, but it holds a very special place in my heart.
Sri
Lucu tapi kadang kejam :(. Apa buku seperti ini bisa dikonsumsi anak-anak dengan aman ya? Adakah anak-anak yang baik hati tapi berselera humor gelap seperti ini? Buku anak-anak oleh Roald Dahl juga kadang kejam-kejam.
Alex Stroshine
Belloc's little book of beasts. Not as good as his "Cautionary Tales" but there are some humourous bits. Some of the entries are too short for my liking.
Josh
Sep 16, 2013 Josh rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Fun, simple poems for children to *learn* about various animals. It reads a bit like a precursor to Seuss's "If I Owned A Zoo," except with real animals.
Christina
Cute illustrations and wonderfully dry and rhyming text. Not very PC anymore though...the author talks a lot about hunting some of the "beasts."
Miramira Endevall
Hilarious; would have gotten 5 stars but for the blatant, unapologetic, Victorian racism.
Steve
Apr 25, 2008 Steve rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and fun-loving adults
Recommended to Steve by: my sister
Really funny poetry for children with a proto-Dahl flavor.
Karl
Dec 19, 2011 Karl rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Just great.
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Dione Basseri
Dione Basseri marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Bloomeenee
Bloomeenee marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Joseph Hilaire Pierre René Belloc was an Anglo-French writer and historian who became a naturalised British subject in 1902. He was one of the most prolific writers in England during the early twentieth century. He was known as a writer, orator, poet, satirist, man of letters, and political activist. He is most notable for his Catholic faith, which had a strong impact on most of his works and his ...more
More about Hilaire Belloc...
Cautionary Tales for Children The Great Heresies How The Reformation Happened The Servile State The Path to Rome