Start by marking “Innocent Fire (Bragg Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Innocent Fire (Bragg Saga, #1)

Innocent Fire (Bragg Saga #1)

From the sensuous voice of novelist Brenda Joyce comes Firestorm, the extraordinary first book in the Bragg family saga that has captured the hearts of readers everywhere. Here is the beginning of the Bragg empire-opulent and glamorous-vast, dangerous, and as untamed as the sweeping plains of Texas…

Leaving behind the sheltered life of a French convent, Miranda journeyed to
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published by Avon (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Innocent Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Innocent Fire

Joy (joyous reads)
Nov 06, 2012 Joy (joyous reads) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-kindle
Surprisingly enough, my foray into Historical Romance started off quite well – though not without instances of frustration with the heroine. Set at a time when women were raised to be pure and virginal until they find the worthy males to have their children, it was hard not to snigger at how ridiculous the dictates of what was proper and what wasn't.

Anyway, this saga starts off with the story of Miranda, an English belle who was to marry a Texan rancher. Escorted by Derek Bragg a half-breed Ran
Mary
Jul 14, 2014 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read 262 pages and there are 370 of them. I won't continue.
It's bad.
Miranda, female character is not likeable at all. I just can't accept that women then didn't know anything about sex, rape, kisses. She is always so scared and the only thing that is interesting about her is her beauty. Well, that's so stupid I must say. I'm sick of these beautiful stupid girls that everyone want just because they are pretty. Damn, give me one normal looking girl who will charm everyone with their humou
Regan Walker
Feb 24, 2012 Regan Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1st in Bragg Series a Fast Moving Western Romance

I have seen the low reviews on this one and I just don't agree. First, you can't tell this story without rape. Not to give away the plot but it isn't gratuitous violence; it very much reflects the times and the threat every woman faced on the frontier. Although at times Miranda's life looks a bit like the Perils of Pauline with more dire consequences, it is still believable. Second, I don't agree with the one who said it was slow. It does slow a b
Barbara
May 13, 2009 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 Stars...It was ok

Wait! Don't boo me yet...

I'm a huge fan of Brenda Joyce...I've really liked most of her books and the rest of the "Bragg Saga", but Innocent wasn't as great as I was expecting it to be considering the others in the series were good. I really like the "older" Miranda (the grown up mom you meet in the others)...but the young Miranda just absolutly grated...and I mean grated on my nerves.

I still can't believe Joyce repeated the same scenes over and over and over again. Maybe this
jenjn79
Jessica
Oct 04, 2011 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I gave this 2 stars because of all the predictable drama. I thought the heroine (Miranda) was extremely annoying. One minute she wants to please her husband, the next she is too spineless to follow through. She did however make up for that in the end, I thought. She was able to stand for what she wanted; it just took earth-shaking situations for that to happen. It was a little too late for me by then to like her and I wanted to throw the book across the room. Derek Bragg (the hero) was very unde ...more
Sarita
I couldn't put this book down! Amazing!

1850's
This is story of a young girl who starts of seeing her parents arguing and her father abusing her mother. She tries to intervene and he slaps her in the process of his anger getting the best of him. As the reader we don't know if this was a recurring incident, or if it was a one time issue. The mother feared for her daughter thus taking herself and the young girl to a convent in France. The father finds them and talks the wife into returning home with
Mary Lauer
I started this after starting Deadly Love, thinking it might give insight into the hero in DL (same family, diff generation). If I had read this book ~25 years ago when it came out I might have liked it more. As it was, it hit ALL the romance cliches. She is VERY young and VERY innocent, he is rough and tumble. She is kidnapped not once, not twice, but THREE time and raped, which is definitely not pleasant to read about. I am definitely over the scared virgin heroines and want a heroine who owns ...more
Van Do
Oct 14, 2010 Van Do rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you love reading about helpless heroine who keeps getting rapped again and again. This is the book for you. For the life if me, I have never read such a book as this. I was shocked, horrified, disgusted, and totally disturbed. I couldn't sleep for two nights thinking about how badly the female is treated by all those males. And she's only 17. Thanks for this book, I am now scarred for life.

Shirlene
London,1830
Miranda was seven and watched as her father knocked her mother to the ground, ripped her clothes off and proceeded to rape her. Miranda ran into the room and grabbed her father's arm to stop him from beating her mother. Her father slapped her so hard she fell to the ground. He then regretted it and apologized. He was drunk. A few days later, Miranda and her mom ran away to a French convent where her mother had grown up. A week later her dad found them. Miranda's father agreed to let M
Serenity
Mar 13, 2017 Serenity rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
With the worst heroine, I can't give it more than 1 star.
Ruth
Feb 22, 2017 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the second book.
Lukman Manggo

Its is story about Miranda, who fall in love to "ugly" Texas Ranger on her way to met her fiance in Texas. Miranda as the little English aristocrat;a innocent brat who grow up in the France convent, met the wild ugly manner of Texas surrounding.
On their way to her fiance ranch, Miranda found Bragg as a handsome ruthless heathen man that she hate very much. As an Indian Apache, Bragg had a duty to get Miranda safe to the his fiance ranch, John.
She had fall in love with Bragg even she didn't admi
Tina
Apr 20, 2016 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
Iznenadila sam se ovom knjigom. Bila mi je prenapeta, nisam je mogla ispustiti iz ruku. Divan romanticni western, savrsen za sve one kojima nedostaje akcije u povijesno ljubavnim romanima. Doduse, s nekim elementima koji su mi malo digli zivce, npr. to sto Miranda vise puta prozivljava istu strasnu sudbinu. Ali kada se realno pogleda to i nije tako besmisleno jer takvo je bilo vrijeme i mjesto i takve su se stvari dogadjale. Strasno mi je isla na zivce i Mirandina preosjetljivost i rastezanje s ...more
JudyB
The first reading of this book was in 2007 paperback. When I converted to Kindle I kept this paperback and all of the others in this series. My re-read of this book makes me realize why I so loved historical romance to include western and medieval. The series title, the Bragg saga, is so apt because it is a saga. This is book one in the series and is the story of Derek and Miranda. It's a story of the harsh life in Texas in the early 1800's and it's one that will break your heart and then heal i ...more
Stefanie
Nov 10, 2013 Stefanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book quite well. Derek is a great guy. He's a bit rough, but he loves Miranda and there's nothing he wouldn't do for her.
The story was told very well and it made me feel for Miranda. So many things happened to her. You can see her change from a naive young girl into a mature woman.
There is one BUT. I would have liked it much more if Miranda had been a stronger heroine. Sometimes she is such a child. On the other hand, the way she acts just fits with the time period. If you read ab
CHBlackk
May 28, 2016 CHBlackk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book because it showed what women went through, how they were raised and how lucky Miranda actually was to have a loving husband.

Sometimes I was a bit irritated because every man just wanted her. I understand she is pretty and petite, charming with her innocence, but whenever I turned the page, the author told us how everyone wanted to have an intercourse with her. Not just son of a bitch Chavez or Derek Bragg, but literally everyone.

Overall, I fell in love with the book because cha
Kate
Apr 27, 2013 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, I was dubious when I started this book series and it did nothing to allay my fears.
The writing style is dull, predictable and very stereo typical of many 'romance' books.
I was hoping that the Wild West edge to it would introduce some action but even when the plot picked up I found it not able to capture my attention.
I stopped halfway through this book, when I realised that I didn't really care about what happened to each character; I never give up on a book but life's too short.
Okay as a r
Jeanne
Aug 25, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Miranda grew up in a French convent, sheltered from the way of the world. Her English father betrothes her to a Texas rancher she's never met. When she arrives in America she is greeted by her fiance's friend, the handsome, half-Apache Texas Ranger. He is to escort her to Texas but he has developed feelings for his charge and she was drawn to her protector. You can imagine the jest of the story set in the wilds of early Texas.
Brenda (b)
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. I've said before that historical westerns aren't my favorite genre, but I've liked several other books by Brenda Joyce so I decided to give this one a try. Sorry to say it didn't do it for me. I found it really hard to see the romance when (view spoiler). The only reason it even got 2 stars from me was because I liked Derek.
Brenda
Jul 11, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Brenda Joyce book I've every read, also it was my first real romance novel. I must say Brenda Joyce is now one of my all time authors. I ,ve tryed to read evey book she ever wrote, I getting close but not there yet.The leading man in this book is to die for! Brenda Joyce is an AWESOME author and recommed her to anyone, if you dont llike romance she will chang your outlook, Im srious. Brenda Joyce Your Are AWESOME!!!
Helena
Dec 02, 2009 Helena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad that writers don't torture their heroins so badly as in this book.. Book is interesting, I liked the story that has been told, and main characters are great, I loved innocence of main heroine but sometimes it was quite annoying.. Luckily there was Texsas reneger, who showed her how to love and be loved...
Heidi
Apr 17, 2014 Heidi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
An OK read. There was potential here but several weaknesses emerged. The heroine was overwhelmingly insipid with her innocence. I really needed to see more backbone and less tears. Episodes of déjà vu also occurred with some scenes reoccurring with noted similarity. I just didn't need to go over the same ground again.
Dorothea
Not too shabby for a first novel ! I loved her innocence and his strength, they really balanced each other out well . This was my first novel by Mrs.Joyce , I LOVED that it wasn't just a plain romance but a HISTORICAL FICTION with exciting dust stirring adventure mixed in !
Soub
Jan 14, 2012 Soub rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad.. Its the first book I read of her so am quite impress by her..
For the story i liked it, it kept surprising me, hence made me wanna know what happens next.. BUt the thing which disturbs me is i wanted to know what happened between Miranda mum and dad.
Diana Dupre
Dec 09, 2012 Diana Dupre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly a good story, interesting time period in America and good descriptions. I was getting frustrated with her prudeness, I have to admit. Which likely is what the author was going for. The feeling of frustration for the girl and because of her at the same time.

I’d read this one again.
Dee
Jun 15, 2011 Dee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a few years ago. It was good but it ended up being a little too much for me. I hated the way (view spoiler) Ultimately, it was a nice love story.
Beverly
Jun 11, 2014 Beverly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the entire Bragg Series
Lelyana
May 08, 2012 Lelyana rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I dont like a lame heroin. Period !
Dea
Odvratna knjiga
  • Gypsy Lady (Louisiana #1)
  • The Maiden Bride
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • True Heart
  • Virgin Star
  • The Reward (Malloy Family, #3)
  • Sunset Embrace (Coleman Family Saga #1)
  • The Copeland Bride
  • The Lawman's Bride
  • Wicked Promise (Clayton, #1)
  • Loving Jessie
  • This Heart of Mine (O'Malley Saga, #4)
  • Lions and Lace (Van Alen Sisters #1)
  • Dark Torment
  • Night in Eden
  • Carnal Gift (Blakewell/Kenleigh Family Trilogy, #2)
  • Captive Mistress
  • Crash Into Me
Brenda Joyce is the bestselling author of forty-one novels and five novellas. She has won many awards, and her debut novel, Innocent Fire, won a Best Western Romance award. She has also won the highly coveted Best Historical Romance award for Splendor and Two Lifetime Achievement Awards from Romantic Times BOOKreviews. There are over 14 million copies of her novels in print and she is published in ...more
More about Brenda Joyce...

Bragg Saga (7 books)
  • Firestorm (Bragg Saga, #2)
  • Violet Fire (Bragg Saga, #3)
  • Dark Fires (Bragg Saga, #4)
  • Fires of Paradise (Bragg Saga, #5)
  • Scandalous Love (Bragg Saga, #6)
  • Secrets (Delanza Family, #1), (The Bragg Saga, #7)