Start by marking “Herbert: Poems” as Want to Read:
Herbert: Poems

Herbert: Poems

George Herbert (1593-1633) has come to be one of the most admired of the metaphysical poets. Though he is a profoundly religious poet, even secular readers respond to his quiet intensity and exuberant inventiveness, which are amply showcased in this selection.

Herbert experimented brilliantly with a remarkable variety of forms, from hymns and sonnets to pattern poems, the s
Published November 2nd 2004 by Everyman's Library (first published 1870)

To ask other readers questions about Herbert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Herbert

The Mabinogion by UnknownThe Citadel by A.J. CroninLink Arms with Toads! by Rhys HughesThe Postmodern Mariner by Rhys HughesThe Journey Through Wales & The Description of Wales by Gerald of Wales
Wales: the Best Books
100th out of 132 books — 21 voters
The Dyer's Hand by W.H. AudenHenderson the Rain King by Saul BellowThe Cocktail Party by T.S. EliotHerbert by George HerbertLit by Mary Karr
Mockingbird Literature 2014
4th out of 15 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Feb 15, 2016 Alan rated it it was amazing
Half a century later I recall the deceptively simple, spondaic
1st line, & perhaps the best tail rhyme in English:

Sweet day, so cool, so calm, so bright
The bridal of the Earth and Sky,
The Dew will weep thy Fall tonight
For Thou must die.

Sweet Rose, whose view lofty and brave
Bids the rash gazer wipe his eye,
Thy root is ever in its grave,
And Thou must die.

Sweet Spring, full of sweet Days and Roses,
A box wherein sweets compacted lie
My Music shows Ye have your Closes,
And all must die.

Only a swe
Juan Pablo
Sep 24, 2014 Juan Pablo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
George Herbert (1593-1633) es un poeta de los llamados en inglés «devocionales». Cierto que hay otros en el período en que él escribe, pero su tono, reverencial en ocasiones, es tan profundamente intimista que, más allá de toda loa divina, lo que revela es un drama personal que sólo es suyo. Suyo y de nadie más es su acercamiento agónico a Cristo, pero su poesía nos hace partícipes, cómplices, de su lucha. Sus poemas son, más que testimonio, confesión íntima, confidencia sentida, y si su acento ...more
Apr 22, 2010 Melinda rated it it was amazing
I have always loved the poetry of George Herbert since I was introduced to it in my English lit class in high school. I have always been fascinated with his poems that visibly "look like" the title of the poem. "EasterWings", for instance, looks like wings! See for an example of how the poem is supposed to be positioned on the page. See also "The Altar" at . I love this visual poetry!

George Herbert was godly Anglic
Great, but I didn't connect with it

I appreciate what Herbert did as a poet, and admire his sincerity and fervor of devotion, but was surprised to find that reading him did not connect for me on a personal level. But that is only a matter of my own subjective personal taste.
Hilary Streever
Mar 06, 2015 Hilary Streever rated it liked it
I LOVE George Herbert, but I find it difficult to find good printings of his work. I gave this three stars because Herbert's work is amazing as always but the actual printing/layout/typeface on the page detracts from the experience of reading it.
Sep 12, 2014 Jonathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Really beneficial. My favorite phrase is, well one of them, is "Love's a man of war."

All sorts of awesome-cool imagery pops into the brain.
Holly Lindquist
Aug 24, 2011 Holly Lindquist rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
This lovely little hardcover by Everyman's Library showcases the poetry of 16th century Anglican priest, George Herbert. I liked the rich language and inventive forms of the poems, but the religious themes just didn't speak to me. Poetry's like music, very subjective. This was like a pleasant bit of verbal chamber music, but not anything I'd imagine myself returning to.
Paul Taylor
A clever versifier but strictly for the cognoscenti and devotees. They don't travel too well in time and his subject matter is anything but diverse. I am afraid John Milton puts Herbert in the shade. That said I commend Avarice to anyone.
Jun 12, 2014 Lobug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I don't love poetry, but I like this.
Yinzadi marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2016
Bonnie Dowsett
Bonnie Dowsett marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2016
Sergio Pascual
Sergio Pascual marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Tasha marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Liam marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Jesse marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Amy marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
macrolit rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Marissa marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Hannah Roop
Hannah Roop rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Clay marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
David Chung
David Chung marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Emma Thapa
Emma Thapa marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Anita marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Elanna marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Don (The Book Guy)
Don (The Book Guy) is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2016
James Violand
James Violand marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Tttanna marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Meghan marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
August Letendre
August Letendre rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Fjolla Sula
Fjolla Sula marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
SIMONE WEIL y Herbert 2 1 Oct 27, 2014 01:03AM
George Herbert was a Welsh-born English poet and orator. Herbert's poetry is associated with the writings of the metaphysical poets, and he is recognized as "a pivotal figure: enormously popular, deeply and broadly influential, and arguably the most skillful and important British devotional lyricist."

Born into an artistic and wealthy family, Herbert received a good education that led to his admiss
More about George Herbert...