Start by marking “Hogwash!” as Want to Read:
Hogwash!

Hogwash!

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  312 ratings  ·  70 reviews
He washed the horses, ducks and cows
The goats, the cats and dogs.
Everything went dandy...
Until the farmer reached his hogs.

"No hogwash for us today. Pigs love dirt - so go away!"

Farmer's stubborn pigs refuse to be hogwashed, and no matter what he tries, poor Farmer cannot trick them into getting clean! But when several failed attempts leave him stuck in the mud, our determ
Published June 7th 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hogwash!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hogwash!

midnightfaerie
Big favorite in our family, as I read at the dinner table with my husband and three children eating dinner. Probably considered a level 2 reading book, the rhyming was both original and a blast to read. The pigs turned out to be smarter than the farmer and the whole story concept was surprisingly unique. The kids loved that the pigs refused to take a bath and I loved how all the way til the end the cat still refrained from the general opinion of the crowd. A great book and one we'll be reading a ...more
Candice
Nov 28, 2011 Candice rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Another fun rhyming book by one of my favorite children's book authors.

"One warm day in early May,
Farmer had a plan
To spring-clean all his animals
Till each was spic 'n' span."

And he has no trouble washing his horses, ducks, cows, goats, cats and dog. But the hogs? When he goes to the pigpen, he sees that the pigs have made a sign:

"No hogwash
For us today
Pigs love dirt-
So go away!"

And the battle is on. Will Farmer be able to complete his spring cleaning? Or are there other surprises ahead? Fun ill
Derek
Somehow, reading it aloud managed to evoke a fairly terrible "country western farmer" accent that I didn't know I had.
Gps
a fun story, and the rhyming story line is well done. each page brings a smile to your face, as you wonder what the farmer will do next to get his pigs to bathe, and they rebuff his efforts in imaginative poetry.
enjoy! especially for children reluctant to take a bath.
Erica Rhodes
This is a fantastic read about some super bright pigs that constantly outsmart the farmer because they don't want to take a bath. The rhyming was fun and the kids absolutely loved the ending. It's hard to find a book all four of my kids can enjoy together.
carissa
When his stubborn pigs refuse a sudsy cleaning, a determined farmer learns that mud baths can be just as fun.
Melanie
One spring day Farmer decides his animals all need a good cleaning. He gets everyone except the pigs. The pigs want nothing to do with being clean. They foil all attempts made by Farmer to get them clean. Farmer tries spraying water into the pig pen but that just makes more mud. Then he tries delivering a pizza but the pigs see right through that. Finally Farmer loads up his crop plane with suds but finds he didn't put any gas in the plane.

When he crash lands in the pig sty he learns that mud ca
Adorably written. I loved the lyrical rhymes and the fun illustrations. My kids loved this story.
Katy Bennett
Fun rhyme and a silly farm story. Not my favorite ever. Would be ok for a storytime.
Kim
Another funny book for kids.
Samantha
A cute story about a farmer that tries to spring clean all of the animals on his farm but meets his match when he tries to give the pigs a bath. The artwork is incredible! The colors are beautiful and each page is detailed without being too cluttered. The story brings to mind Click, Clack, Moo in that the pigs write the farmer messages and also brings to mind Green Eggs and Ham in that the farmer is at odds with the pigs throughout much of the book only to come around to the pigs' way of thinkin ...more
Bree
Notes:
lots of mud!
great rhyming and silly art
A fun little rhyming story about a farmer who wants to wash his pigs. A rhyming story that would make a good, quick read aloud.

I just reread this book and, less than a month later, I had no recollection that I had already read it. A good thing I use Goodreads, no? On this second rereading, I was struck by how much this story reminded me of Click Clack Moo, which is one of my favorites! This is unfortunately a much less effective book.
Cil
Carol Royce Owen
This will be fun to read to young children. It reminds me a bit of Mrs. Wishy Washy, and I'm pretty sure that Kindergarten and first grade students will make that connection. Farmer has decided that all of the animals need to be washed. All goes fine until he encounters the pigs who have no intentions of being washed, no matter what the farmer tries.
Michele
Generally, I love Karma Wilson's books; however, I thought Hogwash was not as well done as Bear Snores On and that whole series of Bear books. It's bath day and Farmer's goal is to get all the animals clean, but the hogs want no part of it...their antics end up switching the game plan on the poor farmer, who eventually discovers how fun a hogwash can be.
Cara Farmer
This story is cute but not my favorite. I felt like it was longer than it really needed to be and I lost interest half way through. This would be a good book to read if you were teaching about farms and animals on a farm because the illustrations do a great job showing farm life in a fun animated way. The children would find the pigs very funny.
Christina Camp
This is a really cute book. It is about a farmer who tries to trick the pigs on the farm into taking a bath. Finally, he gives up and uses a helicopter. When the helicoptor crashes and the farmer ends up in the mud with the pigs, he realizes how fun it is to be dirty. This is a funny story and could be used in a lesson that involves farm animals.
Randie
It's springtime and Farmer is in the mood for cleaning up his farm. He cleans the ducks, horses, and goats but the hogs are way too stubborn. Farmer tries everything but has no luck. Will the Farmer get the hogs to wash or is the old saying, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" true?

Written in verse. Illustrations are sure to cause some giggles.
Marcie
Jun 25, 2011 Marcie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marcie by: Woodbury new books
OK! It seems I always love Karma Wilson. After a quick read, I had to read this aloud to my husband and we both got a number of laughs. Even better than last year's The Cow Loves Cookies that did get nominated for CCBA. Jim McMullan's illustrations are perfect. How nice this would be to pair with Click Clack Moo.
Irina
This book is about a farmer whose pigs get dirty after being washed, and he is on a mission to get them washed again. By the end of the story he ends up in the mud with them and realizes just how much fun it is. This book has a very catchy rhyme and great illustrations, making it so funny and engaging. Kids always enjoy it!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
It’s time for Farmer to wash the animals. All the animals are amenable to this, except the hogs. The hogs are openly rebellious.

Full of clever word play and lots of mud.

“Farmer stomped his feet and yelled,
‘You oinkers got me riled!’
They still refused to take a bath.
Those pigs had gone hog wild!”

Deborah
Darling, adorable, too cute. Fun. Read about the farmer who wants to clean up his farm and starts with various animals and ending with the pigs......who don't want to be washed! All kinds of battles ensue and so does the fun of reading this story! Nice illustrations, fun storyline. I love Karma Wilson.
Julee
Karma Wilson is the Queen of read aloud books. A farmer sets out to give all his critters a bath but the pigs object and refuse to let him in their pig pen. The poor farmer makes numerous attempts but eventually gives up and joins the pigs in a mud bath. Lots of laughs in this rhyming farm tale.
Tricia
When farmer decides to spring clean his animals, everything is fine until he gets to the hogs. The signs that they write in mud clearly show their disdain for being clean. Has some funny moments but I wasn't totally bowled over by this one or the ending, which fell just a bit flat.
Meghan Hunt
I loved this book! The rhythm and rhyme was superb and the story was really cute. It's about a farmer who decides to wash all of the animals in his farm, but when he gets to the pigs he runs into trouble. In the end he decides to join them in their wallowing since he can't beat them.
Angie
Like the idea of the story but oddly enough (even though I usually like his stuff) was not as big of a fan of the illustrations. This is a rhyming book.

This says it was published in 2004. How is it I've never seen it before? And it was displayed face out at the bookstore?
Trista
My son loves this book and so do I. We checked it out from our local library. I'm from the country and i love reading my son books about life on the farm. This is a cute, humorous book your kids are sure to love! And it's not super long, making it a good bedtime story.
Shaley Dunn
A farmer trys to give his pigs a wash. They lock in out and wont let him in. He then decided to get his crop plane and wash them from above. His plane runs out of gas and he crashes. He then finds out he loves the mud too and never tries to give the pigs a bath again.
  • Dog in Boots
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • Lazy Daisy, Cranky Frankie: Bedtime on the Farm
  • RRRalph
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Mr. Duck Means Business
  • Grumpy Goat
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...
Bear Snores On Bear Wants More Bear Stays Up for Christmas Bear Feels Sick The Cow Loves Cookies