Start by marking “Hogwash!” as Want to Read:
Hogwash!

Hogwash!

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  391 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
He washed the horses, ducks and cows
The goats, the cats and dogs.
Everything went dandy...
Until the farmer reached his hogs.

"No hogwash for us today. Pigs love dirt - so go away!"

Farmer's stubborn pigs refuse to be hogwashed, and no matter what he tries, poor Farmer cannot trick them into getting clean! But when several failed attempts leave him stuck in the mud, our determ
Published June 7th 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hogwash!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hogwash!

midnightfaerie
Jun 24, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Big favorite in our family, as I read at the dinner table with my husband and three children eating dinner. Probably considered a level 2 reading book, the rhyming was both original and a blast to read. The pigs turned out to be smarter than the farmer and the whole story concept was surprisingly unique. The kids loved that the pigs refused to take a bath and I loved how all the way til the end the cat still refrained from the general opinion of the crowd. A great book and one we'll be reading a ...more
Candice
Nov 28, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Another fun rhyming book by one of my favorite children's book authors.

"One warm day in early May,
Farmer had a plan
To spring-clean all his animals
Till each was spic 'n' span."

And he has no trouble washing his horses, ducks, cows, goats, cats and dog. But the hogs? When he goes to the pigpen, he sees that the pigs have made a sign:

"No hogwash
For us today
Pigs love dirt-
So go away!"

And the battle is on. Will Farmer be able to complete his spring cleaning? Or are there other surprises ahead? Fun ill
Derek
Jan 10, 2014 Derek rated it really liked it
Somehow, reading it aloud managed to evoke a fairly terrible "country western farmer" accent that I didn't know I had.
Jamie
Sep 16, 2015 Jamie rated it really liked it
thought this was really cute. farmer sets out to wash his animals, doesn't have any luck with his pigs. cute story. felt like the rhyming was weird. you would get into the rhythm of it and then one line would be off. I didn't like the two parts with "hammed it up"- yes the phrase fits pigs,but it almost seemed thrown in. would read again and enjoy it, but wouldn't buy unless my kid, for some reason said it was their favorite (I don't think that will happen though). my favorite part was "sudsy am ...more
Rosa Cline
Sep 08, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, favorites
This was such a wonderfully written book by Ms Wilson (most of her books are really good!) This one a farmer wants to clean up his farm and baths all his animals, BUT when it comes to his hogs they won't have it. So he tries to figure out ways of bathing them but they come up with other ideas! Written in rhyme and almost you would 'sing' it as you read it out loud. My 3 year old granddaughter and I grinned and chuckled at this amazing story. Illustrations were great too!
Gps
Jun 03, 2014 Gps rated it really liked it
a fun story, and the rhyming story line is well done. each page brings a smile to your face, as you wonder what the farmer will do next to get his pigs to bathe, and they rebuff his efforts in imaginative poetry.
enjoy! especially for children reluctant to take a bath.
Penny
May 02, 2014 Penny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is a fantastic read about some super bright pigs that constantly outsmart the farmer because they don't want to take a bath. The rhyming was fun and the kids absolutely loved the ending. It's hard to find a book all four of my kids can enjoy together.
burnspenn
Apr 06, 2015 burnspenn rated it liked it
A fun, silly read. Lyra (25 months) enjoys it but it's not as big a hit as some others. Just a heads up, if you have a reluctant bather this isn't going to help your case, since the pigs win :).
Alesha
Dec 15, 2015 Alesha rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
I've never read a Karma Wilson book that I didn't enjoy! I read it during preschool storytime with children ages 3 - 5. The kids found it hilarious and the wordplay was perfect!
Ashton
Apr 02, 2015 Ashton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fave-kids-books
So cute - four year olds couldn't stop laughing and were in genuine, fascinated suspense. I enjoyed it a lot. Well written, fun illustrations.
carissa
When his stubborn pigs refuse a sudsy cleaning, a determined farmer learns that mud baths can be just as fun.
Melanie
One spring day Farmer decides his animals all need a good cleaning. He gets everyone except the pigs. The pigs want nothing to do with being clean. They foil all attempts made by Farmer to get them clean. Farmer tries spraying water into the pig pen but that just makes more mud. Then he tries delivering a pizza but the pigs see right through that. Finally Farmer loads up his crop plane with suds but finds he didn't put any gas in the plane.

When he crash lands in the pig sty he learns that mud ca
May 04, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Adorably written. I loved the lyrical rhymes and the fun illustrations. My kids loved this story.
Brooke
Apr 08, 2015 Brooke rated it really liked it
This book went better than I thought it would. The kids really got into it.
Roxanne
Jun 25, 2015 Roxanne rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I liked Horseplay better, but this was still a lot of fun.
LeeAnn
Sep 04, 2015 LeeAnn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Hilarious. Another hit at story time.
Angie
Mar 16, 2015 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I've said it before, I'll say it again- rhyming books are the best.
And, let's be honest, Karma Wilson has a gift. She is a rhyming wizard.
Great children's book!
Kelsey Yates
Mar 11, 2015 Kelsey Yates rated it it was amazing
Fun, silly, cute rhyming story.
Kim
Feb 09, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing
Another funny book for kids.
Wendy MacKnight
Aug 09, 2015 Wendy MacKnight rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads
So much fun!
Kerry (The Roaming Librarian)
This was so cute!!!
Samantha
Jun 17, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it
A cute story about a farmer that tries to spring clean all of the animals on his farm but meets his match when he tries to give the pigs a bath. The artwork is incredible! The colors are beautiful and each page is detailed without being too cluttered. The story brings to mind Click, Clack, Moo in that the pigs write the farmer messages and also brings to mind Green Eggs and Ham in that the farmer is at odds with the pigs throughout much of the book only to come around to the pigs' way of thinkin ...more
Bree
Mar 08, 2014 Bree rated it really liked it
Notes:
lots of mud!
great rhyming and silly art
Oct 09, 2011 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
A fun little rhyming story about a farmer who wants to wash his pigs. A rhyming story that would make a good, quick read aloud.

I just reread this book and, less than a month later, I had no recollection that I had already read it. A good thing I use Goodreads, no? On this second rereading, I was struck by how much this story reminded me of Click Clack Moo, which is one of my favorites! This is unfortunately a much less effective book.
Cil
Aug 18, 2011 Cil rated it it was ok
Carol Royce Owen
Sep 26, 2012 Carol Royce Owen rated it really liked it
This will be fun to read to young children. It reminds me a bit of Mrs. Wishy Washy, and I'm pretty sure that Kindergarten and first grade students will make that connection. Farmer has decided that all of the animals need to be washed. All goes fine until he encounters the pigs who have no intentions of being washed, no matter what the farmer tries.
Michele
Nov 25, 2013 Michele rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Generally, I love Karma Wilson's books; however, I thought Hogwash was not as well done as Bear Snores On and that whole series of Bear books. It's bath day and Farmer's goal is to get all the animals clean, but the hogs want no part of it...their antics end up switching the game plan on the poor farmer, who eventually discovers how fun a hogwash can be.
Cara Farmer
This story is cute but not my favorite. I felt like it was longer than it really needed to be and I lost interest half way through. This would be a good book to read if you were teaching about farms and animals on a farm because the illustrations do a great job showing farm life in a fun animated way. The children would find the pigs very funny.
Christina Camp
Nov 08, 2012 Christina Camp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: farm-animals
This is a really cute book. It is about a farmer who tries to trick the pigs on the farm into taking a bath. Finally, he gives up and uses a helicopter. When the helicoptor crashes and the farmer ends up in the mud with the pigs, he realizes how fun it is to be dirty. This is a funny story and could be used in a lesson that involves farm animals.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jan 13, 2012 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
It's springtime and Farmer is in the mood for cleaning up his farm. He cleans the ducks, horses, and goats but the hogs are way too stubborn. Farmer tries everything but has no luck. Will the Farmer get the hogs to wash or is the old saying, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" true?

Written in verse. Illustrations are sure to cause some giggles.
  • Dog in Boots
  • Meow Said the Cow
  • No Sleep for the Sheep!
  • ZooZical
  • Pig Kahuna
  • Dog in Charge
  • Mr. Duck Means Business
  • Tweak Tweak
  • King Hugo's Huge Ego
  • Pirates Don't Take Baths
  • It's an Orange Aardvark!
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Tippy-Tippy-Tippy, Splash!
  • Pigs in the Mud in the Middle of the Rud
  • Let's Sing a Lullaby with the Brave Cowboy
  • Pigs to the Rescue
  • Lazy Daisy, Cranky Frankie: Bedtime on the Farm
  • Huck Runs Amuck!
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...