Start by marking “Hammer of the Scots (Plantagenet Saga, #7)” as Want to Read:
Hammer of the Scots (Plantagenet Saga, #7)

Hammer of the Scots (Plantagenet Saga #7)

Published in North America under the title Hammer of the Scots
The news of Henry III's death reached his son Edward on the long road home from the Holy Land. Now he was England's King and a man fit for his destiny.

Through all the years of his reign, through stark personal tragedy and chill forebodings as his son grew into a weak, corrupted prince, Edward I strove to weld a
Mass Market Paperback, 326 pages
Published May 12th 1983 by Fawcett (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Hammer of the Scots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hammer of the Scots

Denise
Jan 11, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2015
The 7th part of Plaidy's Plantagenet Saga brings us the rule of Edward I, mostly remembered as a strong king whose prosperous rule saw England and Wales united and whose ambition to bring Scotland under English rule led to the apprehension and execution of the Scottish rebel William Wallace. A rather idealized portrait of a king also known for a terrible temper, the expulsion of the Jews from English soil and a few other unsavoury events which are only hinted at in these pages, the book instead ...more
Þorrbjórn
To my mind this book is what you would get if you commissioned Hello or OK! magazines to write a glossy account of history. It's to realistic, gritty and believable historical fiction what low-fi American renaissance fairs are to historiography and accuracy.

The dialogue is never happier than sounding like it was lifted straight from a Hallmark made-for-TV movie; pompous and melodramatic at a pretty transparent attempt at what some readers mistake for "historically accurate" language which is act
Louise
Jean Plaidy fashions Edward I as an ideal family man. While he doesn't do the dishes, he loves his daughters by Eleanor of Castile more than their son, a rarity for his time. Despite his political needs, he is sympathetic to his daughter's pleas, sometimes allowing then to delay their marriages or chose their partners.

The story is told in chapters, most of which are somewhat independent vignettes that hold together chronologically. While the title emphasizes Edward's role via Scotland, I would s
Bettie☯
Edward Longshanks

historical fiction
pub 1979
autumn 2011
edward I
series
Plantagenet
No, I am not reading this series in order!

You know that period of history where every woman ever born (well almost *shrugs in mock amusement*) was called Matilda, or derivative thereof, here we have the era of the Eleanors... every female from the foulest midden born to the loftiest throne is named thusly. Boring? well yes, however it is still not as boring as modern pop music, now is it!

What a lot of difference in wh
Marlene
Jan 18, 2017 Marlene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A well told version of the reign of Edward Long Shanks and his struggles to unite a kingdom and subdue the Scots and Welsh. I love this period of history but this is a sad story of a great king whose whole life's work was ruined by his heir.
Zoe
May 28, 2014 Zoe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had to force my self to get through this one. My biggest issue was the amount of repetition of sentimental drivel. Once, is fine, twice is even ok ... but it felt every other page was littered with the stuff and it all felt like padding just so the book would reach an adequate number of words.
On top of that the writing/timeline was all over the place and during most of it I was just bored. Edward I should not be boring.

I've only read 2 books by Jean Plaidy but I'm getting the impression the f
Penny
Oct 25, 2013 Penny rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
This is a rather old-fashioned historical account that has a little too much romance and simpering women for my taste!! The general story was good, giving an overview of Edward I 's life which is what I wanted. The book is mainly about the women of his court his mother Eleanor, his wife Eleanor and his daughters - yes the first is another Eleanor!!
I would have preferred less description of the women and their loves and more political intrigue and plotting. By the end of this book you feel Edwar
Richard
I love this series and have scored most previous books a 5* rating. I was really looking forward to her account of the reign of Edward I and although the book was very good I was mildly disappointed that she concentrated mainly on Edward's family life rather than his kingship. He fathered so many children (unusually for a King, they were all legitimate) that every child born had to be mentioned as well as the marriages and subsequent grandchildren. I know most of her books are like this and she ...more
Tania
Sep 29, 2010 Tania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reign of Edward I began upon the death of King Henry III. While Henry III foolishly spent the country's treasury pleasing his demanding wife Eleanor, Edward and his wife Eleanor spent money wisely and were respected by the nation.

Edward successfully conquered Wales but did not live to see the same success in Scotland. This is the same King Edward who could not conquer William Wallace and his subversive forces, those who fought for the independence of Scotland. Still, his reign was successful
Pepca
Jul 22, 2015 Pepca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hammer of the Scots was a compelling book, even if it took me ages to read it, as Jean Plaidy manages to give a fairly accurate historical account, while letting the reader get a stunning glimpse into the reasoning and sentiments of her characters, from Edward I to his children and his enemies, of which the most intriguing to me was that written from the point of view of William Wallace.

Read my full review on my book blog, Beyond Strange New Words.
Lisa Bass
Aug 08, 2012 Lisa Bass rated it liked it
Shelves: plaidy-jean, i-own-it
"Hammer of the Scots" is a really good book; however, I felt as if I would have enjoyed it more if there had been more written about the surroundings during the events which were depicted. I realize Ms. Plaidy is a much revered historical-fiction author and given the time the novel was written, it is indeed a wonderful work. When comparing it to other authors such as Elizabeth Chadwick, who is more detailed in her writing, I found "Hammer of the Scots" a bit disappointing.
Lisa
Jan 01, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read this one after discovering from work on my family tree that Edward Longshanks is an ancestor of mine. It was interesting therefore to read about him. It was a good read and set up a nice pace.
Angela Joyce
Sep 13, 2010 Angela Joyce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fascinating, exciting story, only marred by some mighty strange punctuation (or lack thereof). Whether it's the author's or the editor's fault, I always find that sort of thing distracting!

"Braveheart" makes an appearance-- that shouldn't be a spoiler, though, since it's history!
Sara W
Jul 18, 2007 Sara W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edward I (son of Henry III) and Eleanor of Castile. William Wallace (aka Braveheart) is in this book.
Michele bookloverforever
lackluster. I was disappointed. such a fascinating character given so little attention.
Paola Emilia
Sep 16, 2015 Paola Emilia rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book about king Edward I who succeded fighting for his country against the scots, here we can read about William Wallace and Robert De Bruce.
Barbara
Antoher typical Jean Plaidy book. I love the way she portrays her women as strong even when they are submissive to their husbands. They are still the driving force behind their men.
Candy
Nov 05, 2008 Candy rated it really liked it
As always Jean writes an excellent book and I love the Plantagenent Saga. I love following the history of the kings. I am planning on finishing the series.
Alison
I am learning so much from this series!
Sue Law
Enjoyable retelling of the reign of Edward I of England. Solid Plaidy.
Rebecca Waranch
Rebecca Waranch rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2015
Lynda
Lynda rated it really liked it
May 29, 2009
Craig
Craig rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2013
Patrice Fischer
Patrice Fischer rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Maya Gavi
Maya Gavi rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2011
Daiana Simenel
Daiana Simenel rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2013
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2013
Vicky
Vicky rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2011
  • The Lute Player
  • The Passionate Brood
  • Queen of Shadows: A Novel of Isabella, Wife of King Edward II
  • Queen's Confession: A Fictional Autobiography
  • Harlot Queen
  • Lords of the White Castle (FitzWarin, #2)
  • Fortune Made His Sword
  • The Flowering of the Rose (We Speak No Treason, #1)
  • The Rose of York: Love & War (The Rose of York Trilogy, #1)
  • Immortal Queen: A Novel Of Mary, Queen of Scots
  • Daughters Of England (Daughters Of England, #20)
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million). ...more
More about Jean Plaidy...

Plantagenet Saga (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Plantagenet Prelude (Plantagenet Saga, #1)
  • The Revolt of the Eaglets (Plantagenet Saga, #2)
  • The Heart of the Lion (Plantagenet Saga, #3)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Plantagenet Saga, #4)
  • The Battle of the Queens (Plantagenet Saga, #5)
  • The Queen from Provence (Plantagenet Saga, #6)
  • The Follies of the King (Plantagenet Saga, #8)
  • The Vow on the Heron (Plantagenet Saga, #9)
  • Passage to Pontefract (Plantagenet Saga, #10)
  • The Star of Lancaster (Plantagenet Saga, #11)