Hammer of the Scots (Plantagenet Saga, #7)

Hammer of the Scots (Plantagenet Saga #7)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  306 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Published in North America under the title Hammer of the Scots
The news of Henry III's death reached his son Edward on the long road home from the Holy Land. Now he was England's King and a man fit for his destiny.

Through all the years of his reign, through stark personal tragedy and chill forebodings as his son grew into a weak, corrupted prince, Edward I strove to weld a...more
Mass Market Paperback, 326 pages
Published May 12th 1983 by Fawcett (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Hammer of the Scots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hammer of the Scots

Louise
Jean Plaidy fashions Edward I as an ideal family man. While he doesn't do the dishes, he loves his daughters by Eleanor of Castile more than their son, a rarity for his time. Despite his political needs, he is sympathetic to his daughter's pleas, sometimes allowing then to delay their marriages or chose their partners.

The story is told in chapters, most of which are somewhat independent vignettes that hold together chronologically. While the title emphasizes Edward's role via Scotland, I would s...more
Paul
To my mind this book is what you would get if you commissioned Hello or OK! magazines to write a glossy account of history. It's to realistic, gritty and believable historical fiction what low-fi American renaissance fairs are to historiography and accuracy.

The dialogue is never happier than sounding like it was lifted straight from a Hallmark made-for-TV movie; pompous and melodramatic at a pretty transparent attempt at what some readers mistake for "historically accurate" language which is act...more
Zoe
I had to force my self to get through this one. My biggest issue was the amount of repetition of sentimental drivel. Once, is fine, twice is even ok ... but it felt every other page was littered with the stuff and it all felt like padding just so the book would reach an adequate number of words.
On top of that the writing/timeline was all over the place and during most of it I was just bored. Edward I should not be boring.

I've only read 2 books by Jean Plaidy but I'm getting the impression the f...more
Risa
Edward Longshanks also known as the Hammer of the Scots, was a lovely page turner. I simply enjoyed reading it as the history of England under the ruler of Edward I came alive. I found it most interesting that that he was a family man besides being a warrior. I simply didn't expect it - although I should have if I had read something on his history. It was quite fascinating and rather extraordinary, in a way, to read about a monarch who adored his children, especially his daughters, and loved his...more
Penny
This is a rather old-fashioned historical account that has a little too much romance and simpering women for my taste!! The general story was good, giving an overview of Edward I 's life which is what I wanted. The book is mainly about the women of his court his mother Eleanor, his wife Eleanor and his daughters - yes the first is another Eleanor!!
I would have preferred less description of the women and their loves and more political intrigue and plotting. By the end of this book you feel Edwar...more
Tania
The reign of Edward I began upon the death of King Henry III. While Henry III foolishly spent the country's treasury pleasing his demanding wife Eleanor, Edward and his wife Eleanor spent money wisely and were respected by the nation.

Edward successfully conquered Wales but did not live to see the same success in Scotland. This is the same King Edward who could not conquer William Wallace and his subversive forces, those who fought for the independence of Scotland. Still, his reign was successful...more
Lisa Bass
"Hammer of the Scots" is a really good book; however, I felt as if I would have enjoyed it more if there had been more written about the surroundings during the events which were depicted. I realize Ms. Plaidy is a much revered historical-fiction author and given the time the novel was written, it is indeed a wonderful work. When comparing it to other authors such as Elizabeth Chadwick, who is more detailed in her writing, I found "Hammer of the Scots" a bit disappointing.
Angela Joyce
This is a fascinating, exciting story, only marred by some mighty strange punctuation (or lack thereof). Whether it's the author's or the editor's fault, I always find that sort of thing distracting!

"Braveheart" makes an appearance-- that shouldn't be a spoiler, though, since it's history!
Barbara
Antoher typical Jean Plaidy book. I love the way she portrays her women as strong even when they are submissive to their husbands. They are still the driving force behind their men.
☯Bettie☯
Edward Longshanks

historical fiction
pub 1979
autumn 2011
edward I
series
Plantagenet
No, I am not reading this series in order!

You know that period of history where every woman ever born (well almost *shrugs in mock amusement*) was called Matilda, or derivative thereof, here we have the era of the Eleanors... every female from the foulest midden born to the loftiest throne is named thusly. Boring? well yes, however it is still not as boring as modern pop music, now is it!

What a lot of difference in wh...more
Candy
As always Jean writes an excellent book and I love the Plantagenent Saga. I love following the history of the kings. I am planning on finishing the series.
Sara W
Edward I (son of Henry III) and Eleanor of Castile. William Wallace (aka Braveheart) is in this book.
Michele bookloverforever
lackluster. I was disappointed. such a fascinating character given so little attention.
Alison
I am learning so much from this series!
Kyle A.
Kyle A. marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Lanna
Lanna marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Mannam
Mannam marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Nathalie Armella
Nathalie Armella marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Small Review
Small Review marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Deb
Deb added it
Jul 29, 2014
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
  • The Lute Player
  • Within the Hollow Crown: A Reluctant King, a Desperate Nation, and the Most Misunderstood Reign in History
  • Harlot Queen
  • Queen's Confession: A Fictional Autobiography
  • The Rose of York: Crown of Destiny (The Rose of York Trilogy, #2)
  • The Bruce Trilogy: Steps to the Empty Throne, Path of the Hero King & Price of the King's Peace
  • The Miracle at St. Bruno's (Daughters of England, #1)
  • Isabeau: A Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Roger Mortimer (The Isabella Books, #1)
  • Lords Of The White Castle (FitzWarin, #2)
  • The Flowering of the Rose (We Speak No Treason, #1)
  • Queen of Shadows: A Novel of Isabella, Wife of King Edward II
  • Time and Chance (Henry II & Eleanor of Aquitaine, #2)
  • Within the Fetterlock
  • The Oak Apple (Morland Dynasty, #4)
Eleanor Alice Burford, Mrs. George Percival Hibbert was a British author of about 200 historical novels, most of them under the pen name Jean Plaidy which had sold 14 million copies by the time of her death. She chose to use various names because of the differences in subject matter between her books; the best-known, apart from Plaidy, are Victoria Holt (56 million) and Philippa Carr (3 million)....more
More about Jean Plaidy...
The Lady in the Tower (Queens of England, #4) Murder Most Royal (Tudor Saga, #5) Katharine of Aragon: The Wives of Henry VIII (Tudor Saga, #2-4) The Rose Without a Thorn (Queens of England, #11) To Hold the Crown: The Story of King Henry VII and Elizabeth of York (Queens of England Series, #11)