Selected Poems

Selected Poems

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  8,366 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Richly varied in mood and content, this collection captures the essence of Byron’s great poetic achievement. Among the 31 selections: convivial song-like poems, love poems, travel poems, humorous and satiric poems. Included are shorter works such as the famous "She Walks in Beauty," "Stanzas to Augusta" and "So We’ll Go No More a Roving," as well as longer works: "The Pris...more
Published October 12th 1993 by Dover Publications (first published 1848)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Dolors
Aug 29, 2014 Dolors rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who like anti-heroes
Recommended to Dolors by: Cristina
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2013
My first contact with the most known satanical Romantic poet hasn’t disappointed. Lord Byron emerges in his poems as the immensely popular hero, defiant, melancholic, haunted by secret guilt, the eternal scandalous irreverent freethinker.

We are the fools of Time and Terror: Days
Steal on us, and steal from us; yet we live,
Loathing our life, and dreading still to die .
Manfred

Although this selection doesn’t include his famous Don Juan , I have found plenty of passion and strong emotion in his...more
Kelly
You either love Byron or you hate him. And it should probably come as no surprise that I absolutely adore him. The original goth-emo boy. Man did it with style, though. His life is fascinating, ridiculous, over the top. Watching his journey through poetry is just amazing, watching how throughly his sorrows and his fantasy life consumes him. Byron's fantasies are beautifully put down through his poetry. It's a shame, but not a surprise, that those fantasies are what ultimately killed him.
Chris
What can anyone truly say about Byron? There is something about the man that makes him stand out. Take a look at those who were writing at the same time. There is a charm, an perfect charm, about John Keats's poetry, but Shelley, we know Shelley because of Mary, because she worked so hard to insure his legacy.

Byron, on the other hands, so is much larger than life.

It's true that some of this image comes from his personal life. What can you say about a man who slept with his half sister and other...more
Ahmad
چایلد هارولد، قطعه زندانی شیلن
ای آزادی. تو آن روح جاودان هستی، که هرگز در زنجیر نمیافتد، و در تاریکی سیاهچالها نیز همچنان درخشنده میماند، زیرا جایگاه تو قلب ماست. قلبی ست که تنها برای تو میتپد. وقتی که نصیب فرزندان تو، قلاده و ظلمت و سیاهچال تیره شود، از شهادت آنها نیرویی پدید میآید، که کشورشان را پیروز میکند، و نام آزادی را با هر نسیمی، به اطراف جهان میپراکند
شیلن! زندان تو مکانی مقدس است. زمین تو حکم پلکان کلیسائی را دارد، که از فرط عبور پارسایان، جای قدمهای ایشان در آن مانده است. به جان «بونیو...more
Nick Black
Lord Byron was, until the age of biological engineering, pretty much the zenith of human development. Lord knows what he could have done with 80mg per diem sustained release Adderall® {dextro}?amphetamine salts or, like, elephant pituitary extracts, or hell even some Centrum and antibiotics instead of therapeutic bleeding, but it's exciting to read him (or about him) and ponder what'll happen when we can start giving people three hearts each, like octopodes.
Julia Boechat Machado
Lindo.
Lord Byron foi uma paixão da minha adolescência, e ainda não consigo ler um verso dele sem sentir aquela embriaguez que as melhores poesias trazem.
Jeremy
Well, so far I've learned that skulls make excellent goblets for wine. Better than the thoughts it contained in life!
Byron may have romanticized about women, but he also hid men in there as well.
I find a lot of it hard to read but I end up reading this in a really broken fashion. I work at a call center where I can't really enjoy it between calls, then at home I'm always gardening, eating, cooking, shopping, or facebooking so I read a poem a day at the most.
Where I was going with that is that I...more
Julia
Byron's beautiful poems were not as addicting to me as Keats's are. But, as Romantic poetry goes he is one of the best!

There's no way I could appreciate the poems fully without reading up on the poet himself. Well, all I can say is that he was some ladies man (and mans man since he was most likely gay but that is another discussion entirely). He certainly seemed a bit tortured by his emotions...

This book was quite long and I must confess that I did not have the strength to power through it cove...more
James
It seems appropriate to briefly meditate upon the poetry of Lord Byron on any date including this, his birth date. In particular I turn to his poem 'On this Day I complete my Thirty-Sixth Year'. This poem appeals to me neither for the greatness of its lines nor the acuity of its poetic strains, but for the beauty and sadness of its meditative thought. The opening stanza, for example:
"'Tis time this heart should be unmoved,
Since others it hath ceased to move:
Yet, though I cannot be beloved,
Still...more
Goranm
George Noel Gordon lord Byron

"Romanje grofiča Harolda"
drugi spev, kitici 25, 26

Razmišljati na skalah tik prepada;
počasi stopati skoz gozdni mrak,
kjer so stvari, ki človek jim ne vlada
in kjer ni hodil še njegov korak;
za čredo divjih koz skoz siv oblak
v neznano plezati po gorski steni;
strmeti v slapa belogrivi trak -
to ni samota - to samo pomeni
pomenkovati se z naravo v vsej lepoti njeni.

A v hrupu, gneči gledati, čutiti,
živeti med ljudmi in od spoznanj
utrujen tujec v tujem svetu biti,
brez koga, ki...more
Shaunt
When, to their airy hall, my Fathers' voice
Shall call my spirit, joyful in their choice;
When, pois'd upon the gale, my form shall ride,
Or, dark in mist, descend the mountain's side;
Oh! may my shade behold no sculptur'd urns,
To mark the spot where earth to earth returns!
No lengthen'd scroll, no praise-encumber'd stone;
My epitaph shall be my name alone:
If that with honour fail to crown my clay,
Oh! may no other fame my deeds repay!
That, only that, shall single out the spot;
By that remem...more
GONZA
She Walks in Beauty
She walks in beauty like the night
of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
meets in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
which heaven to gaudy day denies.

had half impair'd the nameless grace
which waves in every raven tress,
or softly lightens o'er her face -
where thoughts serenely sweet express
how pure, how dear their dwelling - place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
meets in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
which heaven to gaudy day denies.

had half impair'd the nameless grace
which waves in every raven tress,
or softly lightens o'er her face -
where thoughts serenely sweet express
how pure, how dear their dwelling - place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
so soft, so ca...more
Robert
Byron is my poet for 2014. He seems to be really good, but I just read a 1000 line satire of a bunch of critics that hated his first book of poetry. I guess you had to be there.
Barrett
Aug 14, 2009 Barrett marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-get
i love how the "Complete Works" rolls in at a weighty 1100 pages, yet "Selected Poems" only whittles it to the oh-so-manageable 800. solid.

currently reading Bulfinch's Mythology The Age of Fable or Stories of Gods and Heroes, which references scads of Byron's mythological allusions.

my interest, it is piqued.
Katlin
My dear, dear, George,
Forgive me for I must speak plainly and ask how it is that you know my heart so well? It is quite improper. Indeed your writings have been a distracting influence and made it completely impossible to concentrate on anything of a practical nature. To add to this, you shame me openly and yet venture no apology. I should hardly wonder at this given your reputation. But oh you know, yes you know. Write again soon dear rogue.
Yours ever xx
Sunny
really nice in places bit boring in others .. or maybe i didt have the patiance to fully apprecaite what he w writing ...

a few of my favourite bits in it ...

If I should meet thee
After long years,
How should I greet thee?--
With silence and tears.

In the desert a fountain is springing,
In the wide waste there still is a tree,
And a bird in the solitude singing,
Which speaks to my spirit of thee.

Evan Gottlieb
Have read all of Byron's Turkish Tales now, as well as _Manfred_, (which I regularly teach) -- also parts of Childe Harold's Pilgrimage, the first canto of Don Juan, and the early satire English Bards and Scotch Reviewers. Sardanapalus is next on my list, followed by more of CHP. What can I say? It's Byron -- it's terrific stuff.
Sheila
I'm an unashamed Byronista. That said, there are parts of Don Juan which border on doggerel. I wonder whether Byron did this intentionally to display his contempt for his 'fan club.' The Dedication is, for me, the highlight.

The shorter, more personal poems hit the spot for me
Kael Nevets
few men of letters in my opinion could stand in his shadow,his use of queens English,mixed with his own more modern along with his passions are remarkable.
I learned if nothing more how rich and passionate the English language can be in poetry.
Comicfairy (Leanne)
An awesome compendium from an awesome poet. Byron will always be one of my faves, so poignant and tragic. His works have been reviewed by many far more knowledgeable than I; I just like what I see. :)
Gail
As with most collections of poems, some are excellent and enjoyed thoroughly, while others can be appreciated for the author's dedication to writing, yet are not necessarily enjoyed.
Meagan
world kept revealing byron to me...austen, joyce, movies...so, i figured i needed to find out what this man was about. Glad I did. If you're not a romantic, don't read him.
Gardner
Let's face it, Byron is a badass--one of the world's first antiheroes. "Childe Harold's Pilgrimage" is a must-read for any reader of poetry.
Joshua Nomen-Mutatio
I remember enjoying this one back in high school (and I wasn't "goth", I swear):

Carmen
The first poems in English I read in my life. I was a highschool student at the time and received the book as a present from my family.
Steve
The roots of modern fantasy can be found (in part) in these pages. Great stuff and I am glad that I was belatedly exposed to it.
Aerykah
This actually isn't the book of Byron's poems that I read, but it's the closest that I could find on Goodreads...
Walter Ullon
What could possibly compare to the badassery of "When the Moon in on the Wave"? Puts witches to shame.
Ferris
This is actually an audio edition, read aloud by Tyrone Power. Read aloud by Tyrone Power. A real pleasure!
How can you go wrong with Byron? 8 34 Nov 10, 2012 05:11AM
  • The Complete Poems
  • Poetry (Norton Critical Editions)
  • The Major Works
  • Robert Browning's Poetry
  • Poems and Prose
  • The Complete English Poems
  • The Complete Poetry
  • The Works of Robert Burns
George Gordon Byron (aka Lord Byron), later Noel, 6th Baron Byron of Rochdale FRS was a British poet and a leading figure in Romanticism. Amongst Byron's best-known works are the brief poems She Walks in Beauty, When We Two Parted, and So, we'll go no more a roving, in addition to the narrative poems Childe Harold's Pilgrimage and Don Juan. He is regarded as one of the greatest British poets and r...more
More about George Gordon Byron...
Don Juan Lord Byron: The Major Works Byron's Poetry Childe Harold's Pilgrimage Manfred: A Dramatic Poem

“She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that’s best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow’d to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o’er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o’er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all
A heart whose love is innocent!”
53 likes