Selected Poems

Selected Poems

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  7,725 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Richly varied in mood and content, this collection captures the essence of Byron’s great poetic achievement. Among the 31 selections: convivial song-like poems, love poems, travel poems, humorous and satiric poems. Included are shorter works such as the famous "She Walks in Beauty," "Stanzas to Augusta" and "So We’ll Go No More a Roving," as well as longer works: "The Pris...more
Published October 12th 1993 by Dover Publications (first published 1848)

Dolors
May 01, 2013 Dolors rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone who like anti-heroes
Recommended to Dolors by: Cristina
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2013
My first contact with the most known satanical Romantic poet hasn’t disappointed. Lord Byron emerges in his poems as the immensely popular hero, defiant, melancholic, haunted by secret guilt, the eternal scandalous irreverent freethinker.

We are the fools of Time and Terror: Days
Steal on us, and steal from us; yet we live,
Loathing our life, and dreading still to die .
Manfred

Although this selection doesn’t include his famous Don Juan , I have found plenty of passion and strong emotion in his...more
Kelly
You either love Byron or you hate him. And it should probably come as no surprise that I absolutely adore him. The original goth-emo boy. Man did it with style, though. His life is fascinating, ridiculous, over the top. Watching his journey through poetry is just amazing, watching how throughly his sorrows and his fantasy life consumes him. Byron's fantasies are beautifully put down through his poetry. It's a shame, but not a surprise, that those fantasies are what ultimately killed him.
P
Jan 04, 2008 P rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: All who love poetry; All whom poetry loves
Shelves: literature
To select a date at which I have read all of Byron's Poems is impossible. For, as with all works of poetry, they are never to be read in one sitting, but rather like a piece of candy, each poem must be enjoyed in its own time. Thus it is, to tell the truth, I have never read all of Byron's poems - as of yet.

Even though I have not read all, I can honestly state that I hold a love/hate relationship with the admirable lord's work. His work is to be loved, he is to be despised. The simple beauty, t...more
Ahmad
چایلد هارولد، قطعه زندانی شیلن
ای آزادی. تو آن روح جاودان هستی، که هرگز در زنجیر نمیافتد، و در تاریکی سیاهچالها نیز همچنان درخشنده میماند، زیرا جایگاه تو قلب ماست. قلبی ست که تنها برای تو میتپد. وقتی که نصیب فرزندان تو، قلاده و ظلمت و سیاهچال تیره شود، از شهادت آنها نیرویی پدید میآید، که کشورشان را پیروز میکند، و نام آزادی را با هر نسیمی، به اطراف جهان میپراکند
شیلن! زندان تو مکانی مقدس است. زمین تو حکم پلکان کلیسائی را دارد، که از فرط عبور پارسایان، جای قدمهای ایشان در آن مانده است. به جان «بونیو...more
Nick Black
Lord Byron was, until the age of biological engineering, pretty much the zenith of human development. Lord knows what he could have done with 80mg per diem sustained release Adderall® {dextro}?amphetamine salts or, like, elephant pituitary extracts, or hell even some Centrum and antibiotics instead of therapeutic bleeding, but it's exciting to read him (or about him) and ponder what'll happen when we can start giving people three hearts each, like octopodes.
Prakash Bisht
Well they say "He was mad, bad and dangerous to know". I say the same you will love everything wrtten by him from short and beautiful "She walks in beauty" to epic "Don Juan". Just read it and love it.
Julia Boechat Machado
Lindo.
Lord Byron foi uma paixão da minha adolescência, e ainda não consigo ler um verso dele sem sentir aquela embriaguez que as melhores poesias trazem.
Dana
Byron's poems never fail to delight; I read this collection as part of a Late Romantic Literature course.
Luna Nethera
He's one of my favorite authors.
Chris
What can anyone truly say about Byron? There is something about the man that makes him stand out. Take a look at those who were writing at the same time. There is a charm, an perfect charm, about John Keats's poetry, but Shelley, we know Shelley because of Mary, because she worked so hard to insure his legacy.

Byron, on the other hands, so is much larger than life.

It's true that some of this image comes from his personal life. What can you say about a man who slept with his half sister and other...more
Jeremy
Well, so far I've learned that skulls make excellent goblets for wine. Better than the thoughts it contained in life!
Byron may have romanticized about women, but he also hid men in there as well.
I find a lot of it hard to read but I end up reading this in a really broken fashion. I work at a call center where I can't really enjoy it between calls, then at home I'm always gardening, eating, cooking, shopping, or facebooking so I read a poem a day at the most.
Where I was going with that is that I...more
Julia
Byron's beautiful poems were not as addicting to me as Keats's are. But, as Romantic poetry goes he is one of the best!

There's no way I could appreciate the poems fully without reading up on the poet himself. Well, all I can say is that he was some ladies man (and mans man since he was most likely gay but that is another discussion entirely). He certainly seemed a bit tortured by his emotions...

This book was quite long and I must confess that I did not have the strength to power through it cove...more
Persephone Abbott
I’m glad I took three years to tiptoe through this little volume, it grew on me, and I began to appreciate Byron more. The words startled me at times for I recognized strings of phrases more modern poets had borrowed. I even found myself stringing random versus together:

Hunter of Life, Child of Clay
Eagle sun wind and abyss
Keep mortal sustenance at bay
Future, present, past, shuttles of the loom
Plunge through waves of voyaged verse
Destiny, fate and lot, all booked doom
United, then conspire upon a...more
James
It seems appropriate to briefly meditate upon the poetry of Lord Byron on any date including this, his birth date. In particular I turn to his poem 'On this Day I complete my Thirty-Sixth Year'. This poem appeals to me neither for the greatness of its lines nor the acuity of its poetic strains, but for the beauty and sadness of its meditative thought. The opening stanza, for example:
"'Tis time this heart should be unmoved,
Since others it hath ceased to move:
Yet, though I cannot be beloved,
Still...more
GoldGato
Thank god for Penguin classics, they always make the weighty stuff seem so manageable for mere mortals. Case in point, Byron. If you are a collector of real books, you know that his entire collection is rather large, so it's nice to have a mass paperback version that can be held in the hand.

Byron was a truly strange dude, compared to his contemporaries. Today, he would be the Kelly Slater of poets, probably surfing Malibu while writing verses in the sand. His death was tragic, which made his poe...more
Goranm
George Noel Gordon lord Byron

"Romanje grofiča Harolda"
drugi spev, kitici 25, 26

Razmišljati na skalah tik prepada;
počasi stopati skoz gozdni mrak,
kjer so stvari, ki človek jim ne vlada
in kjer ni hodil še njegov korak;
za čredo divjih koz skoz siv oblak
v neznano plezati po gorski steni;
strmeti v slapa belogrivi trak -
to ni samota - to samo pomeni
pomenkovati se z naravo v vsej lepoti njeni.

A v hrupu, gneči gledati, čutiti,
živeti med ljudmi in od spoznanj
utrujen tujec v tujem svetu biti,
brez koga, ki...more
GONZA
She Walks in Beauty
She walks in beauty like the night
of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
meets in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
which heaven to gaudy day denies.

had half impair'd the nameless grace
which waves in every raven tress,
or softly lightens o'er her face -
where thoughts serenely sweet express
how pure, how dear their dwelling - place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that's best of dark and bright
meets in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
which heaven to gaudy day denies.

had half impair'd the nameless grace
which waves in every raven tress,
or softly lightens o'er her face -
where thoughts serenely sweet express
how pure, how dear their dwelling - place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
so soft, so ca...more
Robert
Byron is my poet for 2014. He seems to be really good, but I just read a 1000 line satire of a bunch of critics that hated his first book of poetry. I guess you had to be there.
James
Excellent, though strictly chronological, presentation of Byron's works, dividing his life up into four major periods. That means Childe Harold's Pilgrimage will be spread out across three sections with other poems and letters interspersed, making this volume excellent for chronological studies but a little awkward for other types of study. Good though of course necessarily limited selection of criticism at the end and very good notes. Recommended for a serious introduction to Byron.
Cooper Renner
I bought this primarily to read "The Giaour", "Prisoner of Chillon" and (maybe) some of what it contains of "Childe Harold's Pilgrimage" (which I've read some of before). I've read already Byron's plays and "Don Juan" (except possibly the unfinished Canto XVII) and quite like them. Now that I've read "Giaour" and "Chillon", I can see them as far lesser works than the plays and "Don Juan", though they must have helped prepare Byron for those longer, more powerful accomplishments.
Barrett
Aug 14, 2009 Barrett marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-get
i love how the "Complete Works" rolls in at a weighty 1100 pages, yet "Selected Poems" only whittles it to the oh-so-manageable 800. solid.

currently reading Bulfinch's Mythology The Age of Fable or Stories of Gods and Heroes, which references scads of Byron's mythological allusions.

my interest, it is piqued.
Katlin
My dear, dear, George,
Forgive me for I must speak plainly and ask how it is that you know my heart so well? It is quite improper. Indeed your writings have been a distracting influence and made it completely impossible to concentrate on anything of a practical nature. To add to this, you shame me openly and yet venture no apology. I should hardly wonder at this given your reputation. But oh you know, yes you know. Write again soon dear rogue.
Yours ever xx
Sunny
really nice in places bit boring in others .. or maybe i didt have the patiance to fully apprecaite what he w writing ...

a few of my favourite bits in it ...

If I should meet thee
After long years,
How should I greet thee?--
With silence and tears.

In the desert a fountain is springing,
In the wide waste there still is a tree,
And a bird in the solitude singing,
Which speaks to my spirit of thee.

Evan Gottlieb
Have read all of Byron's Turkish Tales now, as well as _Manfred_, (which I regularly teach) -- also parts of Childe Harold's Pilgrimage, the first canto of Don Juan, and the early satire English Bards and Scotch Reviewers. Sardanapalus is next on my list, followed by more of CHP. What can I say? It's Byron -- it's terrific stuff.
Anna
I wanted to read Byron because I felt the need to see where the byronic hero came from.

I'm not generally a big fan of poetry, but Byron's came on as an easy read that I really did enjoy.

The poem I liked best was called in Romanian "Blestemul Minervei" a mot-a-mot translation would be "Minerva's Revenge"
Sheila
I'm an unashamed Byronista. That said, there are parts of Don Juan which border on doggerel. I wonder whether Byron did this intentionally to display his contempt for his 'fan club.' The Dedication is, for me, the highlight.

The shorter, more personal poems hit the spot for me
Kael Nevets
few men of letters in my opinion could stand in his shadow,his use of queens English,mixed with his own more modern along with his passions are remarkable.
I learned if nothing more how rich and passionate the English language can be in poetry.
Kayla
I loved Byron's poetry, particularly the poetry at the beginning of the book. Some of the longer stanza were hard to get through and I skipped them, but when I have more time I will go back over them. Overall very enchanting words.
Comicfairy (Leanne)
An awesome compendium from an awesome poet. Byron will always be one of my faves, so poignant and tragic. His works have been reviewed by many far more knowledgeable than I; I just like what I see. :)
How can you go wrong with Byron? 8 33 Nov 10, 2012 05:11AM
  • The Complete Poems
  • Poetry (Norton Critical Editions)
  • The Major Works
  • The Complete English Poems
  • Selected Poems
  • The Complete Poetry
  • Poems and Prose
  • The Complete Poems
  • Complete Poems of D. H. Lawrence (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
George Gordon Byron (aka Lord Byron), later Noel, 6th Baron Byron of Rochdale FRS was a British poet and a leading figure in Romanticism. Amongst Byron's best-known works are the brief poems She Walks in Beauty, When We Two Parted, and So, we'll go no more a roving, in addition to the narrative poems Childe Harold's Pilgrimage and Don Juan. He is regarded as one of the greatest British poets and r...more
More about George Gordon Byron...
Don Juan Lord Byron: The Major Works Byron's Poetry Childe Harold's Pilgrimage Manfred: A Dramatic Poem

“She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that’s best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow’d to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o’er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o’er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all
A heart whose love is innocent!”
43 likes
“On with the dance! let joy be unconfin'd
No sleep till morn, when Youth and Pleasure meet
To chase the Glowing Hours with Flying feet”
20 likes