Start by marking “The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1

The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1

4.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  175 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The Traditional Bowyer's Bible series includes three essential volumes filled with history, humor, and practical advice. Invaluable information for anyone interested in the age-old lure of archery.
Published March 1st 2000 by Lyons Press (first published December 31st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1

Joseph Martinez
Apr 09, 2015 Joseph Martinez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best on Bow making

I own the entire series in print, now that they are ebooks I will be buying them as well. You would be hard pressed to find a better series on Bow making. Since reading these books and few others I am now a life long student.
Joel
Sep 24, 2012 Joel rated it really liked it
Shelves: archery
I have been an archer for about 13 or so years and when I learned that I could build a bow I had to know how, so this was the book recommended to me. I must have read the thing like 5 times before I attempted my first bow(which exploded because I rushed it) but this book gave me the information I needed to build a serviceable bow. there is all sorts of "data" in this book for the more experienced bowyer, but, It will become handy if you follow thru to the other volumes in this series (which are ...more
Michael
Feb 14, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
Outstanding... I am starting on volumes two through four now.
Daniel
Nov 13, 2014 Daniel added it
excellent
Jesse
Nov 18, 2014 Jesse rated it really liked it
So I've only read volumes 1 and 2 so far, but have been a little frustrated. These books have an amazing amount of information regarding wooden bowmaking, but they never actually tell you how to do it. How do I make a wooden bow? I feel like three or four pages would have been plenty on this subject.
Robbe Clerckx
Dec 04, 2014 Robbe Clerckx rated it really liked it
Before I read this book I attended a two-day bow-making workshop (which was awesome), where I learned a lot.
A few months past and then I borrowed this book from someone, so I HAD to make another bow!

I learned a lot from this book, there are lots of detailed descriptions accompanied by helpful pictures. The first volume contains everything you need to know to make a bow. The authors are not afraid to break conventions and are open to new ideas.
David Sebastian
May 28, 2015 David Sebastian rated it it was amazing
Really nice and instructive book, it speaks abput not only the techniques used to craft a wooden bow but even about the history of bowyery.
despite I've never tried woodcrafting this book motivated me even more than how I was before.
Brian
Nov 08, 2007 Brian rated it really liked it
Early chapters contain good history and recommended reading on archery in general. This volume introduces important theory on self and backed bow making, especially wood selection, making and finding blanks, tools, tillering and truing.
mj
Oct 01, 2009 mj added it
Shelves: reference
Working my way through the 4 volumes in this series now. Will post a fuller review when I've tried actual construction.
Taruia
Nov 24, 2011 Taruia rated it really liked it
Shelves: archery
Brilliant. Well researched, OK written but clearly written by people who love what they do.
Doggrral
Feb 14, 2012 Doggrral rated it really liked it
excellent material on making bows, hide glues and traditional techniques.
Walter
Sep 21, 2010 Walter rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
very cool
Bob Brazeau
Bob Brazeau rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2016
Qwerty
Qwerty rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Thomas
Thomas rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2016
David Yelvington
David Yelvington marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Manish Dixit
Manish Dixit rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Joshua A
Joshua A marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Art Limehouse
Art Limehouse marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Kevin
Kevin is currently reading it
Jan 15, 2016
Richard Buss
Richard Buss rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
David Becker
David Becker rated it really liked it
Shaun
Shaun rated it it was amazing
A C Winsland
A C Winsland rated it really liked it
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Cory
Cory marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
  • How to Make a Forest Garden
  • Primitive Skills and Crafts: An Outdoorsman's Guide to Shelters, Tools, Weapons, Tracking, Survival, and More
  • Tom Brown's Science and Art of Tracking
  • Creating a Life Together: Practical Tools to Grow Ecovillages and Intentional Communities
  • Botany in a Day: Thomas J. Elpel's Herbal Field Guide to Plant Families
  • The Soapmaker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques & Know-How
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 2: Ecological Design and Practice for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • The Oxford History of Medieval Europe
  • Stick Fighting: Techniques of Self-Defense
  • Medieval Costume in England and France: The 13th, 14th and 15th Centuries
  • Fifty Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)
  • SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
  • Medieval Combat: A Fifteenth-Century Illustrated Manual of Swordfighting and Close-Quarter Combat
  • US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76