Start by marking “The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1

The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The Traditional Bowyer's Bible series includes three essential volumes filled with history, humor, and practical advice. Invaluable information for anyone interested in the age-old lure of archery.
Published March 1st 2000 by Lyons Press (first published December 31st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1

Joel
I have been an archer for about 13 or so years and when I learned that I could build a bow I had to know how, so this was the book recommended to me. I must have read the thing like 5 times before I attempted my first bow(which exploded because I rushed it) but this book gave me the information I needed to build a serviceable bow. there is all sorts of "data" in this book for the more experienced bowyer, but, It will become handy if you follow thru to the other volumes in this series (which are ...more
Michael J
Outstanding... I am starting on volumes two through four now.
Daniel
Nov 13, 2014 Daniel added it
excellent
Jesse
So I've only read volumes 1 and 2 so far, but have been a little frustrated. These books have an amazing amount of information regarding wooden bowmaking, but they never actually tell you how to do it. How do I make a wooden bow? I feel like three or four pages would have been plenty on this subject.
Robbe Clerckx
Before I read this book I attended a two-day bow-making workshop (which was awesome), where I learned a lot.
A few months past and then I borrowed this book from someone, so I HAD to make another bow!

I learned a lot from this book, there are lots of detailed descriptions accompanied by helpful pictures. The first volume contains everything you need to know to make a bow. The authors are not afraid to break conventions and are open to new ideas.
Brian
Early chapters contain good history and recommended reading on archery in general. This volume introduces important theory on self and backed bow making, especially wood selection, making and finding blanks, tools, tillering and truing.
mj
Oct 01, 2009 mj added it
Shelves: reference
Working my way through the 4 volumes in this series now. Will post a fuller review when I've tried actual construction.
Taruia
Brilliant. Well researched, OK written but clearly written by people who love what they do.
Doggrral
excellent material on making bows, hide glues and traditional techniques.
Paul Cottingham
Paul Cottingham marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Brittany Tucker
Brittany Tucker marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Danilo
Danilo marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Ramsey Sullivan
Ramsey Sullivan is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Sallie Mealing
Sallie Mealing marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Kinder Cannon
Kinder Cannon marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
  • Tom Brown's Science and Art of Tracking
  • The Soapmaker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques & Know-How
  • Wildwood Wisdom
  • Finding Your Way Without Map or Compass
  • Woodcraft and Camping
  • Tracking and the Art of Seeing: How to Read Animal Tracks and Sign
  • US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76
  • Building Green: A Complete How-To Guide to Alternative Building Methods Earth Plaster * Straw Bale * Cordwood * Cob * Living Roofs
  • The New Complete Book Of Self Sufficiency
  • SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
  • Bush Craft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game
  • Emergency Food Storage & Survival Handbook: Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Family Safe in a Crisis
The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 2 The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 3 The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 4 Bows & Arrows of the Native Americans: A Step-by-Step Guide to Wooden Bows, Sinew-backed Bows, Composite Bows, Strings, Arrows & Quivers Ishi & Elvis