Start by marking “Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication” as Want to Read:
Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication

Communicating for a Change: Seven Keys to Irresistible Communication

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  2,102 Ratings  ·  213 Reviews
When You Talk, Are People Changed?

Whether you speak from the pulpit, podium, or the front of a classroom, you don’t need much more than blank stares and faraway looks to tell you you’re not connecting. Take heart before your audience takes leave! You can convey your message in the powerful, life-changing way it deserves to be told. An insightful, entertaining parable that
Published August 19th 2008 by Multnomah (first published June 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Communicating for a Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Communicating for a Change

Naomi
Jan 10, 2011 Naomi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stanley & Jones' Communicating For A Change is my new go-to book for practicing homiletics. The five-point sermon made sense in an age when people were used to hearing and following one to two hour discourses. That's not the current culture and preaching needs to adapt. While the method Stanley & Jones present is clear and simple, the practice will be difficult, less so for those practiced in story-based preaching, but certainly for those schooled to the classic academic Protestant style ...more
Ryan
Jan 23, 2015 Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you need to make some sort of speech
I'll begin by denoting that I am no evangelical Christian; I used to be one, but now I am quite the contrary, a devout Traditional Catholic. I love incense and candles, vestments and Latin, stained glass and adorned Churches.

Viz., I'm not a huge fan of the 'mega-churches', of which Stanley is a pastor of.

With that said, I love this book. It's down to earth, practical, and a huge help to anyone who is delivering a message. If you're struggling to get a speech down-pat, or your speeches aren't en
Jenny
May 28, 2013 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though my goodreads account has suffered serious neglect of late, I have indeed been reading, and now that I have a bit of breathing space, I think I will add books a few at a time to avert a deluge.

To be honest, I considered not adding this particular title fearing what some of my friends might think a) about why I am reading a book on preaching and b) why I am reading Andy Stanley at all. But I found this book so genuinely helpful that I feel I must heartily recommend it to anyone who would l
Радостин Марчев
Една от най-добрите (ако не и най-доброто) практични ръководства за проповядване, които съм чел. Задължителна книга за всеки комуникатор и пастир.
Книгата е едновременно лека за четене, кратка, изключително практична и полезна и ориентирана към съвременни хора.
Някои неща, които ме впечатлиха
- Пълното отхвърляне на структурата на проповедта/посланието в няколко идеи/точки. Стенли предлага да изхвърлим това и да изградим всичко около една единствена основна идея, която да кажем ясно и след това
Shirley Brosius
Jul 28, 2015 Shirley Brosius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
If you do any public speaking, you owe it to yourself to read this book. Authors Andy Stanley and Lane Jones craft their writing in a way that illustrates the points they want to make, so it’s an easy, engaging read. By likening the process of developing a speech to a journey, they tell the story of a trucker and his passenger discussing communication.

The first half of the book covers the authors’ major points while the second half elaborates on them. As with a trip, you must determine your dest
Al Garlando
Jul 09, 2011 Al Garlando rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pastors, preachers, Bible students
This is the sequel (sort of) to "7 Practices of Effective Ministry.
It will challenge the way you think about sermon preparation and delivery.
For me, it means a return to what I was originally taught regarding sermons, especially the difference between preaching and teaching.
Teaching is imparting information, whereas preaching is aimed at changing the listener.
To do you need to keep it simple. This maximises your impact and focus.
One of the "7 Practices" is expounded further in this book - Less f
Ben Bandiera
Jan 13, 2013 Ben Bandiera rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ministry
I belt the writer has some unresolved chips on his shoulder towards certain styles of preaching, especially anything that is 'bible heavy,' that being said, the second half of this book raises some solid points about communication and things that anybody getting up to preach the gospel should think about. This is of-course after you wade through 100 odd pages of some drawn out retelling which honestly disproves his whole argument about storytelling being an effective way to communicate informati ...more
Nat
Aug 15, 2011 Nat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious
This is really two books in one. While the first half narrative interested me, it was the second half's principles that really hit it home.

My style of speaking is on disseminating a lot of information, and I usually let my personality do the audience engagement. People pay attention, but there does not seem to be a lot of action after the fact. Some of these principles challenged me to be a more challenging speaker.

Stanly's writing is very easy to follow and he does make some valid points for a
Paul J
Feb 18, 2016 Paul J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I confess. I was tempted to be skeptical about another book on communication, and especially about preparing a message and delivering it. But I tried it. I began applying a few of the principles and I could not believe the response the audience had. Change was happening in hearts. It was so quiet, it was like you could hear it happening (I know that sounds contradictory). So, a big thank you to Andy Stanley for teaching this old dog some new tricks. It definitely has been worth it!
Jason Retherford
good book. very helpful for communicators to think through what they are doing. i was challenged, pushed and thinking of centering everything around one point is a new idea. i enjoyed reading how andy stanley fleshes out his ideas. it will be fun to try to incorporate his ideas to become a better speaker, a better communicator, a better travel guide.
Andrew
May 26, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: communications
I have read numerous books over the years by Andy Stanley, he never disappoints. You want to get on track with delivering effective and relevant sermons/messages, then I highly recommend this book for you. Easy to read, yet immensely profound and practical. Enjoy the read!
Ross Slough
May 06, 2015 Ross Slough rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful and practical for me personally. Also, Andy is such an authentic and conversational writer which made for a really fun read.
Ross Leikvoll
Mar 17, 2016 Ross Leikvoll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely phenomenal book!! Definitely one of the best books I've ever read on communication! I couldn't recommend it more!!
John Richards
Dec 30, 2014 John Richards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Andy has a rather unique approach to preaching/communicating. A pretty easy read. His outlining method is something I'd like to try soon.
Keith Indovino
Feb 07, 2017 Keith Indovino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some books make you feel good by validating what you've been doing.

Some books crush you by showing you how wrong you've been.

Few books expose your flaws in such a way that you keep reading to find a healthy remedy.

This is one of the few!

I left with this book. I got mad at this book. I was vulnerable to this book. And importantly, I was change by this book.

This past Sunday I implemented the one point talk strategy, and it was a huge success! I was so much more free to just drive home one point
Philippe Lazaro
Nov 21, 2016 Philippe Lazaro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian

–Andy Stanley

This was a great book that has changed the way I put together talks or public communication.

I would love it if the approach found in this book became more normalized. Many of us have encountered so many talks that are built off extensive outlines and itemized lists. While there's room for that, this book helped explain why some of the most life-changing talks and sermons I'
Dany-ElBueno
Feb 03, 2017 Dany-ElBueno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Importante para descubrir a quien va dirigido nuestro mensaje y lograr que perdure en los corazones de los que nos escuchen en cualquier momento.

Practicas pautas para impactar y lograr enganchar a la audiencia.
Sam B
Nov 15, 2016 Sam B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. The illustrative first half drags on a little, but I get it's purpose. I believe Stanley understands the purpose of communication, which is what makes this book valuable.
Nathan Farley
Jan 08, 2017 Nathan Farley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a significantly better communicator after reading this book. In the past few years I've read it twice. Andy Stanley is one of the best speakers in our generation. We have much to learn from him, and he is so freaking creative! His model of speaking: ME, WE, GOD, YOU, WE--has gotten me through so many talks without ever having to look at my notes. If you are a regular communicator, you need to read this book!
Matt Kreh
Jan 17, 2017 Matt Kreh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical and applicable

Best practical book on preaching I have read. I have known some areas that I need to improve...this book gave me practical and applicable ways to make my preaching more effective. My hearers thank you Andy! And I am less stressed preparing and preaching.
Matt
Jan 02, 2017 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderfully practical guide to communication, Andy Stanley, one of the great communicators of the present day, shares his method of preparing and delivering sermons. Pastors be forewarned, the method Stanley presents is likely different from what you learned in seminary. In light of Stanley's success in connecting with audiences, though, it is worthy of consideration. The weakness of the book is that Stanley sometimes doesn't seem to be aware that it's not going to come as easily to most preac ...more
Peter Mead
Jun 07, 2014 Peter Mead rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me be honest. I love studying the subject of preaching. I want to be a lifelong student of the subject. But if I’m honest, a lot of books about preaching are somewhat dull, tedious, repetitive and unengaging. Not this book. Engaging. Compelling. Motivating. Intriguing. Is it perfect? No. But, I think you should read it.

The book reflects a highly pragmatic authorship. Stanley writes, “I’ve listened to dozens of preachers and teachers whose stated purpose for communicating is changed lives but
Brian Pate
Jun 17, 2013 Brian Pate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Quick, enjoyable read. I found it immediately helpful as I applied a few principles to my preaching. The principles in this book are not as new or revolutionary as they make them out to be. But they were good reminders.

HELPFUL REMINDERS:
1. One-point sermon. I didn't see how this was all that different from the big idea, thesis, or proposition that is often taught in preaching. But it was a good reminder.

2. Internalize the message so you can preach (largely) without notes. I end up doing this any
Robert Justice
Mar 03, 2014 Robert Justice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, I loved the layout of this book; very creative. Usually, non-fiction is strictly in the monologue format; the author is giving a different lecture in each chapter and the reader just "listens". However, the first half of this book was done in the fashion of a story, and Stanley does it very well. It helps the reader become interested in what is going to happen next, and it also helps to cement the ideas that the author has on preaching in the reader's mind. The last half is the tra ...more
Kenneth Clapp
A friend of mine jokingly suggested that if I hadn't read this book yet, I should get it and read it before the coming Sunday. Since I still had a few more days on my Amazon prime trial I decided to go for it. I ordered it on Tuesday. The book showed up Thursday morning about 9:30. By 6:30 that evening I had finished the little book. Though I hadn't managed to further my sermon preparation that day I have to say it was one of the most productive days I have had in a long time. Friday I went back ...more
Travis
Mar 11, 2013 Travis rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I probably would not have chosen to read an Andy Stanley book on preaching, but as part of the ChristianAudio.com reviewers program, I took a chance. To be honest, I found exactly what I expected: a well-written book with some very helpful advice, but with a philosophy of preaching with which I do not agree.

Stanley and Jones are effective at writing in a winning style. For the most part, their points are clear and thought-provoking. I think that anyone who regularly communicates publically can
B.Cough
Andy Stanley and Lane Jones lay out the key principles that make up effective communication, especially in sermons. The main beef this book seems to have is too many sermons are poorly constructed and boring, making them ineffective in bringing about life change in the audience.

The book is divided up into two sections.

The first is an allegorical story that follows a burnt out pastor whose preaching seems to be ineffective in bringing about any change in his congregation. I assume this is the po
Caleb
Jul 10, 2016 Caleb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great need presented, not always the greatest solution?

Andy Stanley brings up a great point in this book. Sunday after Sunday church members walk in and out of church, unable to regurgitate the main points of the message. This really is a big problem, and I've noticed it quite a bit.

I'd disagree that the only solution to this problem is boiling down, or simplifying a message into a single point. I'd argue that the text itself should define the layout. A single proverb might be much more applicab
Rachel Blom
Jan 28, 2011 Rachel Blom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot of good, even great advice on how to deliver a sermon in Communicating for a Change. To get to the good stuff however, you need to read through the first part of the book first and that was a bit of a struggle for me, because I didn’t care much for it. Don’t let that deter you from reading the book though, for you’ll miss out on good insights into preaching that really connects with your audience.

Communicating for a change is written by Andy Stanley, founder and senior pastor of N
Benjamin Thompson
Oct 31, 2014 Benjamin Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andy Stanley points us to some important truths in Homiletics in this book. His central point is simply that all pastors need in their sermons is a single, central point. Too often, pastors use cutesy alliterations and puns to tie a bullet pointed message together and nothing else. However, in any other speaking context this way of teaching would be considered utterly ineffective. At the same time, Stanley points to the importance of connecting with the audience as strongly and quickly as possib ...more
Preaching Styles/personality 1 4 Jun 10, 2014 07:23AM
  • It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It
  • Courageous Leadership
  • Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples
  • Biblical Preaching: The Development and Delivery of Expository Messages
  • Church Unique: How Missional Leaders Cast Vision, Capture Culture, and Create Movement
  • An Unstoppable Force: Daring to Become the Church God Had in Mind
  • Sticky Teams: Keeping Your Leadership Team and Staff on the Same Page
  • The Think Orange: Imagine the Impact When Church and Family Collide...
  • Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry: A Personal and Practical Guide to Starting Right
  • Leading on Empty: Refilling Your Tank and Renewing Your Passion
  • Christ-Centered Preaching: Redeeming the Expository Sermon
  • Teaching to Change Lives: Seven Proven Ways to Make Your Teaching Come Alive
  • Fusion: Turning First-Time Guests into Fully-Engaged Members of Your Church
  • The Forgotten Ways: Reactivating the Missional Church
  • Preaching: Communicating Faith in an Age of Skepticism
  • Confessions of a Reformission Rev.: Hard Lessons from an Emerging Missional Church
  • Preaching the Whole Bible as Christian Scripture: The Application of Biblical Theology to Expository Preaching
  • Between Two Worlds: The Challenge of Preaching Today
Andy Stanley is the senior pastor of North Point Community Church, Buckhead Church, and Browns Bridge Community Church. He also founded North Point Ministries, which is a worldwide Christian organization.
More about Andy Stanley...

“So what do you do when you are stuck?

The first thing I do when I am stuck is pray. But I’m not talking about a quick, Help me Lord, Sunday’s a comin’ prayer. When I get stuck I get up from my desk to head for my closet. Literally. If I‘m at the office I go over to a corner that I have deemed my closet away from home. I get on my knees and remind God that this was not my idea, it was His…

None of this is new information to God…

Then I ask God to show me if there is something He wants to say to prepare me for what He wants me to communicate to our congregation. I surrender my ideas, my outline and my topic. Then I just stay in that quiet place until God quiets my heart…

Many times I will have a breakthrough thought or idea that brings clarity to my message. . .

Like you, I am simply a mouthpiece. Getting stuck is one way God keeps me ever conscious of that fact.”
24 likes
“Preaching is not talking to people about the Bible; it is talking to people about themselves from the Bible.” 5 likes