Little Altars Everywhere & Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

Little Altars Everywhere & Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  2,046 ratings  ·  51 reviews

Little Altars Everywhere

The companion to the beloved bestseller Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, here is the funny, heartbreaking, and powerfully insightful tale that first introduced Siddalee, Vivi, their spirited Walker clan, and the indomitable Ya-Yas.

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

When Vivi and Siddalee Walker, an unforgettable mother-daughter team, get

Published February 21st 2007 (first published March 19th 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about Little Altars Everywhere & Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

The Help by Kathryn StockettGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggDivine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca WellsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Southern Chick Lit
32nd out of 176 books — 163 voters
L'Immortalite by T.R. HeinanInterview with the Vampire by Anne RiceGumbo Ya-Ya by Lyle SaxonDinner at Antoine's by Frances Parkinson KeyesDiary of a One-Night Stand by Alexandrea Weis
New Orleans Trip 2012 Books
17th out of 17 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Jen
Sheila Mandra
Apr 29, 2010 Sheila Mandra rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sheila by: first book
i adored this book. at some points i wanted to laugh so hard, till i cried other times i wanted to cry till i laughed! i just adore this series
Jenni Fae
I read this book quite a long time ago, I remember picking it up randomly at some quaint little shop in a small mountain town in West Virginia when I was a teenager. Not really sure what drew me to it, back then I was much more open to all kinds of books than I am now. I honestly can't remember a whole lot that happened in it, I do remember it being somewhat of a drama story though and not being too impressed with it, but it wasn't terrible.
Lynsey
This is a great book, especially looking at parent/adult child relationships.
Janice Smith
Loved these books. I remember reading Divine Secrets right after the twins were born, and relating all too well to the part when Vivianne looses it and gets in her car and just drives. I can't tell you how many times I've had that thought - to just get in my car and drive for a few hours, then check into some motel by myself and just SLEEP for 2 or 3 days. I would never really do it (I don't think?) but it was fascinating for me to read about a mother who did and the consequences that followed.
Q
I read the Divine Secrets book first, which I liked. This book, however, was not as enjoyable. It seemed much sadder and more traumatic, and the characters were not likeable despite their struggles. I was mad and irritated and disgusted with some of them, and they did not earn my sympathy. Not that every character has to earn our sympathy, but I just didn't enjoy learning about their horrible pasts, there was little redemptive value. I really preferred the first book much more.
Lisa Cavarretta
A must read if you have read Divine Secrets. Little Altars is fabulous and fun!
Traci
Her writing is so powerful. I read this so long ago but I still have it along w/ the Ya Ya book. I remember being turned on to reading after reading these 2 books. They swept me up and I remember being so completely engrossed when I read them. I love the many voices you hear in this book!
Vivi
If memory serves me right, I think I liked this book better than the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Or if memory fails me, then, it might be the other way around. Maybe I'll read it again someday. For now, "think pretty pink and blue thoughts."

*I swear this is so for-Nicole a book. ;)
AG Roberson
Rebecca Wells is a brilliant author who has the talent to put you in the first person point of view with all the different characters from The Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood book. I did enjoy it. It was written very well.....in some spots too well.
Erin
While I loved Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, I wasn't a fan of "Little Alters" at all. It was heartbreaking family story, but I feel like I've just heard it all before. Maybe if I read it first before Ya Ya, I would have thought differently.
Valerie
I am re-reading this book for the second time because I want to read YA-Ya's in bloom but was havin trouble remembering the specifics of the first two. I like it still but I reading them all in a row, I think I like Little Alters bst.
Rebecca
Poignant, funny, heartbreaking, and entertaining.

Just the ticket when questioning one's sanity; even if something sounds uncomfortably familiar, overall it will confirm (and induce gratitude for) your own normalcy.
Joan
This book contains numerous brief passages of great insight expressed in beautiful prose; but overall the book is tedious to read. There's just not enough story to make this reader keep reading.
Sheri
I read this book after reading the Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood in 2001. I didn't like it as much as the Ya Yas. But saw the movie of the Ya Ya sisterhood after reading both.
Loren
must read along with divine secrets and Ya Yas in Bloom. Ya-Yas in bloom is about their childhood. Again, I have all three on my bookshelf at home, and they're real treasures.
Catherine
Dysfunction is defined aptly and it resonated with my inner thoughts about how families do not function! Rebecca Wells builds lovable characters like no other author.
Anita Torchia
I read this not long after the Divine Secrets of the Ya ya's and this one was harder to put down. Much more interesting and more to learn about all families involved.
Shannon
Clarifies some of the unanswered questions about Sidda's childhood influences. A great read on its own, but it's even better when read with the "Divine Secrets" book.
Becca
Nov 05, 2013 Becca marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
TexasMargarita
I learned that it's great to have friends, and to be Southern, and that everyone probably has mother issues to overcome
Ccoulon
I lost the "it's my hometown" appeal in the second book. It wasn't a bad read, just had to push myself through it.
Amy
Darker than Ya-Ya's, but still a bit more of their lives that you don't want to let go of.
Lauren
A must-read for all who call themselves Southern girls. Prequel to Divine Secrets.
Christine Champagne
I couldn't wait to read this one after finishing the first book. It was just as good!
Diane Leonard
I never seem to like the second book as well as the first but this is a great read.
Elsabe
Hated it, ruined Ya ya sisterhood totally. I actually got rid of this book
Dana
Loved this one too. A little more in depth on the characters in this one.
Melanie Anne
While it was a good prequel I expected more after reading yaya sisterhood
Meg Foglietti
Loved this book, surprised it didn't get the accolades that the Ya Yas got!!
  • The Future Homemakers of America
  • Liberating Paris
  • Chattanooga
  • Larry's Kidney: Being the True Story of How I Found Myself in China with My Black Sheep Cousin and His Mail-Order Bride, Skirting the Law to Get Him a Transplant--and Save His Life
  • Emily Hudson
  • Where You Belong
  • Sugar Cage
  • Out of Place (Sweet Valley Twins, #22)
  • The Secret Lives of the Kudzu Debutantes (Kudzu Debutantes, #2)
  • True Women
  • Deep Fried and Pickled (The Rachael O'Brien Chronicles #1)
  • Adventures of a Continental Drifter
  • Jesus
  • Elvis Takes a Back Seat
  • I'm So Embarrassed
  • Mad Girls in Love
  • Cover the Butter
  • Heart of Palm
Rebecca Wells was born and raised in Alexandria, Louisiana. “I grew up,” she says, “in the fertile world of story-telling, filled with flamboyance, flirting, futility, and fear.” Surrounded by Louisiana raconteurs, a large extended family, and Our Lady of Prompt Succor’s Parish, Rebecca’s imagination was stimulated at every turn. Early on, she fell in love with thinking up and acting in plays for...more
More about Rebecca Wells...
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood Little Altars Everywhere Ya Yas in Bloom The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder Best of LSU Fiction