Start by marking “Little Altars Everywhere & Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood” as Want to Read:
Little Altars Everywhere & Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

Little Altars Everywhere & Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (Ya Yas #1-2)

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  2,527 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews

Little Altars Everywhere

The companion to the beloved bestseller Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, here is the funny, heartbreaking, and powerfully insightful tale that first introduced Siddalee, Vivi, their spirited Walker clan, and the indomitable Ya-Yas.

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

When Vivi and Siddalee Walker, an unforgettable mother-daughter team, g

Published February 21st 2007 (first published March 19th 1999)

Be the first to ask a question about Little Altars Everywhere & Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood

The Help by Kathryn StockettGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggDivine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca WellsTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Southern Chick Lit
44th out of 200 books — 198 voters
Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca WellsLittle Altars Everywhere by Rebecca WellsYa Yas in Bloom by Rebecca WellsThe Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder by Rebecca WellsLittle Altars Everywhere & Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sister... by Rebecca Wells
Best of Rebecca Wells
5th out of 5 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Janice Smith
Apr 11, 2008 Janice Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved these books. I remember reading Divine Secrets right after the twins were born, and relating all too well to the part when Vivianne looses it and gets in her car and just drives. I can't tell you how many times I've had that thought - to just get in my car and drive for a few hours, then check into some motel by myself and just SLEEP for 2 or 3 days. I would never really do it (I don't think?) but it was fascinating for me to read about a mother who did and the consequences that followed.
I am re-reading this book for the second time because I want to read YA-Ya's in bloom but was havin trouble remembering the specifics of the first two. I like it still but I reading them all in a row, I think I like Little Alters bst.
Dysfunction is defined aptly and it resonated with my inner thoughts about how families do not function! Rebecca Wells builds lovable characters like no other author.
I learned that it's great to have friends, and to be Southern, and that everyone probably has mother issues to overcome
Sheila Mandra
Apr 29, 2010 Sheila Mandra rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Sheila by: first book
i adored this book. at some points i wanted to laugh so hard, till i cried other times i wanted to cry till i laughed! i just adore this series
Aug 01, 2010 Sheri rated it liked it
I read this book after reading the Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood in 2001. I didn't like it as much as the Ya Yas. But saw the movie of the Ya Ya sisterhood after reading both.
Colleen rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2011
April rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2011
Jan 13, 2012 Erin rated it it was ok
While I loved Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, I wasn't a fan of "Little Alters" at all. It was heartbreaking family story, but I feel like I've just heard it all before. Maybe if I read it first before Ya Ya, I would have thought differently.
Feb 17, 2012 Vivi rated it liked it
If memory serves me right, I think I liked this book better than the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Or if memory fails me, then, it might be the other way around. Maybe I'll read it again someday. For now, "think pretty pink and blue thoughts."

*I swear this is so for-Nicole a book. ;)
AG Roberson
Feb 25, 2012 AG Roberson rated it it was amazing
Rebecca Wells is a brilliant author who has the talent to put you in the first person point of view with all the different characters from The Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood book. I did enjoy it. It was written very some spots too well.
Kristen rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2012
Mar 21, 2012 Joan rated it it was ok
This book contains numerous brief passages of great insight expressed in beautiful prose; but overall the book is tedious to read. There's just not enough story to make this reader keep reading.
Lisa rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2012
Apr 26, 2012 Traci rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Her writing is so powerful. I read this so long ago but I still have it along w/ the Ya Ya book. I remember being turned on to reading after reading these 2 books. They swept me up and I remember being so completely engrossed when I read them. I love the many voices you hear in this book!
Jun 12, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Clarifies some of the unanswered questions about Sidda's childhood influences. A great read on its own, but it's even better when read with the "Divine Secrets" book.
Jun 28, 2012 Ccoulon rated it liked it
I lost the "it's my hometown" appeal in the second book. It wasn't a bad read, just had to push myself through it.
Aug 21, 2012 Q rated it it was ok
I read the Divine Secrets book first, which I liked. This book, however, was not as enjoyable. It seemed much sadder and more traumatic, and the characters were not likeable despite their struggles. I was mad and irritated and disgusted with some of them, and they did not earn my sympathy. Not that every character has to earn our sympathy, but I just didn't enjoy learning about their horrible pasts, there was little redemptive value. I really preferred the first book much more.
Anita Torchia
Nov 20, 2012 Anita Torchia rated it it was amazing
I read this not long after the Divine Secrets of the Ya ya's and this one was harder to put down. Much more interesting and more to learn about all families involved.
Elaine Lucke
Elaine Lucke rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2013
Feb 10, 2013 Loren rated it it was amazing
must read along with divine secrets and Ya Yas in Bloom. Ya-Yas in bloom is about their childhood. Again, I have all three on my bookshelf at home, and they're real treasures.
Holly Valinotti
Holly Valinotti rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Nov 05, 2013 Becca marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at!
Nov 05, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Poignant, funny, heartbreaking, and entertaining.

Just the ticket when questioning one's sanity; even if something sounds uncomfortably familiar, overall it will confirm (and induce gratitude for) your own normalcy.
Cryason rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Jan 08, 2015 Jen rated it did not like it
Regina Linton
Regina Linton rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Karen rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2015
Kate Baldwin
Kate Baldwin rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Feb 05, 2016 Haley rated it did not like it
Shelves: southern-lit
I read the Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood first & loved it. Little Altars Everywhere ruined it for me.
  • The Middle Heart
  • The Future Homemakers of America
  • Emily Hudson
  • Chattanooga
  • Larry's Kidney: Being the True Story of How I Found Myself in China with My Black Sheep Cousin and His Mail-Order Bride, Skirting the Law to Get Him a Transplant--and Save His Life
  • Liberating Paris
  • The Prayer of Jesus: Secrets of Real Intimacy with God
  • Puttin' on the Grits: A Guide to Southern Entertaining
  • The Queen & Di: The Untold Story
  • Shadow Spell (The Coven Trilogy #1)
  • Jean qui grogne et Jean qui rit
  • Mother Earth
  • Murder on the Titanic
  • The Last Days of John Lennon: A Personal Memoir
  • Imagist Poetry: An Anthology
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Bible
  • Drunk with Love
  • Kissing God Goodbye: Poems 1991-1997
Rebecca Wells was born and raised in Alexandria, Louisiana. “I grew up,” she says, “in the fertile world of story-telling, filled with flamboyance, flirting, futility, and fear.” Surrounded by Louisiana raconteurs, a large extended family, and Our Lady of Prompt Succor’s Parish, Rebecca’s imagination was stimulated at every turn. Early on, she fell in love with thinking up and acting in plays for ...more
More about Rebecca Wells...

Ya Yas (3 books)