Mountain Laurel

Mountain Laurel (Montgomery/Taggart #5)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  2,997 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Captain Ring Montgomery was handsome, a skilled rider, a crack shot, popular with the men and their ladies. That was reason enough for a jealous, surly colonel to saddle Montgomery with a most peculiar assignment: to escort an opera singer into the Colorado gold fields.
Ring's plan was to scare the little lady enough so that she'd hightail it for home. After all, a Civil...more
Published February 1st 2004 by Atria Books (first published July 1st 1990)

Barks & Bites
I do believe I continued to read this just to irritate myself. Why else would I suffer through an insufferable arrogant alpha-man who whines, complains, and dresses up in an itty bitty leather thing and war paint in a piss-poor attempt to frighten off the heroine? Silly man. And all this happens within the first several pages of the book.

Apparently, Mr. Ring Montgomery has PO'd not only me but his colonel who has forced him to escort an opera singer safely into the dangerous gold mines. He thin...more
Anne Marie
This was a nice little historical romance novel, and I enjoyed it up until the point of 'Ring and Maddie discussing their life when they would be married. I think 'Ring's suggestion of moving to Warbrooke and building her an opera house where she could sing for audiences who wanted to hear her was a great idea. But Maddie wanted her way of traveling around the world and not "singing in a cage." In the end, I guess they made a compromise, but Maddie really just got her way. I think it will be hap...more
Sharyn
So I am obsessively reading the Montgomery books in no particular order because of Deveraux's newest book. I had never read any, and they are easy reads and kind of cute. This one takes place in the West in 1859, with a slight mystery and a funny love story. Maddie is an opera singer (clearly the genes from Alyx in the medieval series, and 'ring is a typical Montgomery, handsome and stubborn. Can be a stand alone. Written in 1990 the sex is subtle and sort of funny. Will continue to read them as...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This is another of the Montgomery book by Jude Deveraux. These books span time periods and locations. This is the story of ‘Ring Montgomery who is a captain in the Army. He is stationed in the West and is much loved by his fellow Army officers, the ladies, and most everyone else. The one exception is his commanding officer, who sends him to guard an opera singer that is touring the mining camps. The first attempt with the lady is that he tries to scare her, which doesn’t work. LaReina (the singe...more
Kelly
I am going to write the same thing for the Taggart and Montgomery series of Jude Deveraux. First, I can't believe that I read these books because they are so blatantly bodice rippers (not my style at all). And second, and more importantly, I devoured them all! Here is the scoop: We stopped at a friend's house in Tennessee on the last leg of one of our cross country trips about 11 years ago and I had run out of books. She gave me three of Deveraux's books in the Montgomery series and I kindly too...more
Karissa Keith
This is a beautiful love story, with tons of twists and turns.
This story has another handsome Montgomery,
Whom's commanding officer on the army thought it would be hilarious to send him off on a "strange" assignment. He's to escort an Opera singer through the dangerous gold fields of Colorado, to sing for the hard working and drinking miners. Ring Montgomery wasn't pleased with his assignment to "babysit" a traveling singer when they were on the verge of the Clivil War.
The "traveling Singer wa...more
Mirjam
Captain Ring Montgomery is a man of many qualities. So many in fact that some would call him perfect. When Colonel Harrison sees an opportunity to rid himself of Mr. Perfect, to whom all the men and women at the ford look up, he wastes no time. Much to his chagrin Ring finds himself tasked to escort the La Reina a.k.a. Maddie, an opera singer, into Colorado's gold fields. At a loss why on earth an opera singer wants to perform in rural saloons and eager to return to the fort to take up far more...more
Helen
Years ago I read The Virginian by Owen Wister and I think I still prefer that to this. The original premise is possible since commanding officers did misuse their personnel in this way, but I don't know about Toby. There are a number of passages which are written for the purpose of titillation, but then the cover of my copy is pink, so I should have known. She does her research, that's for certain since most of the background sounds right except that no gentleman, and 'Ring is a gentleman, would...more
Red Austin
Thus, the story had proven the fact that if you really love someone with your whole heart, you are indeed willing to sacrifice or give-up important things just for the person you love yet without the feeling of losing or failure. As a matter of fact, the novel had proven that you have to realize that you have to give something up just so something of greater value -such as love- may come along. As much as I wanted to share the whole story with you -because of how delightful I really am to have r...more
Misfit
Mar 06, 2014 Misfit marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I yield at 5%. Nothing interesting here.
Michelle Connolly
This book could've easily had a 5 star rating if it hadn't been for the last few chapters. It's not the ending I had a problem with, but a little before then. It somehow made me lose interest in the whole story. On the other hand, what I liked most about this book was the chemistry between the two main characters, which was really fun to read.
I definitely enjoyed this Jude Deveraux book better than the last I read.
Virginia Markhart
I am so glad to be finished with this book. Took forever to get through it. I had to drag myself along and could only read a few pages at a time. Opera singer heads west to sing to the miners and the army guy is sent to protect her. Well yeah they fall in lust...enough already. She was actually searching for her younger sister, Laurel, who had been kidnapped. geez.
Donna
I like books that are about the frontier and those that took place in the mid part of the 1800's so this one about Captain Montgomery a handsome, a skilled rider, a crack shot, popular with the men and their ladies was fun to read. Some of the story seemed a little unrealistic, but after this is fiction not history I told myself.
Alicia
This book was really cute. I loved the story line and the romance in it. It was quite a unique story that only Jude Deveraux can come up with. The two main characters are both stubborn so at times it was sketchy with them and the drama it caused was very interesting to read. I highly recommend this book.
Judith Wright
Not much to write home about.
Bodice-ripping romance set in the Wild West during the Gold Rush. Romance and adventure and opera... Very fluffy, but if what you want is a nice easy read with a romantic, manly hero and a heroine who isn't completely soppy, Jude Deveraux is spot on.
StrangeBedfellows
I sort of liked this book, but honestly I just never ... got it. The story felt very convoluted, leaving me with a bunch of, "Huh? Okay, why?" It would have been nice to take these fairly likable characters and transplant them into a better story.
Rae
Talk about a blast from the past! Now I need to go add the rest of this author's books to my pile.
Angelica
THIS IS BY FAR ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I'VE EVER READ. I AM SUCH A FAN OF DEVERAUX I REALLY RECOMMEND YOU TO READ THIS.
Brandy
Nov 27, 2007 Brandy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance Lovers
I love Jude Deveraux, she's all about the STORY, her books are not SMUT like some romance novels...which are nice sometimes too..lol, but, this one is another good one by Jude!
Moira
I like how this book works to make opera more appealing to the "common man." Plus, the whole Taggert & Montegomery clan stories rank among my favorites of all time.
Dana Nelson
Preliminary character development of the hero was conspicuous but the story was terrific! Not that the plot was original but the romance development was well-timed.
Ashley♥Alexis
Jude Deveraux hasn't disappointed me yet. This book was really amusing. I thought the male character Ring was a bit odd but other than that i loved the story.
Niki
I like Jude Deveraux's books because they are fast, fun and easy to read with a little drama. I liked Mountain Laurel because of the setting in Colorado.
Brenda Audiobooks Only
Narrated by Richard Ferrone

I liked this book when I read it many years ago. Now I have it on audio and hope to find it an enjoyable listen.
Vanessa
I liked the heroine, loved the hero, but the story was not as exciting as the other Montgomery books. So gave it 4 stars. It was still good though.
Sandy
This was an old book by this author that I found on one of my bookshelves. Her newer ones are much better but it was a fun romance novel.
Gamatst
I liked this book when I read it many years ago. Now I have it on audio and hope to find it an enjoyable listen also.
Dahlia Mrd
I love you Jude for all the Montgomery's you have written about. Every book is a fantasy world of its own. Amazing!
Arlene Allen
Not one of my favorite Deveraux, not compared to Knight in Shining Armor or Wishes or even her Velvet quartet.
  • A Holiday of Love (Westmoreland, #3.5)
  • Glorious Angel (Southern, #1)
  • The Duke (Regency, #4)
  • Once a Knight (Knight, #1)
  • Come the Spring (Rose, #5)
  • Thunder Heights
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo...more
More about Jude Deveraux...
A Knight in Shining Armor The Black Lyon The Velvet Promise Highland Velvet Velvet Angel