Start by marking “Mountain Laurel” as Want to Read:
Mountain Laurel

Mountain Laurel (Montgomery/Taggert #5)

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  3,944 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Captain Ring Montgomery was handsome, a skilled rider, a crack shot, popular with the men and their ladies. That was reason enough for a jealous, surly colonel to saddle Montgomery with a most peculiar assignment: to escort an opera singer into the Colorado gold fields.
Ring's plan was to scare the little lady enough so that she'd hightail it for home. After all, a Civil
Published February 1st 2004 by Atria Books (first published July 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Mountain Laurel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountain Laurel

Bark's Book Nonsense
I do believe I continued to read this just to irritate myself. Why else would I suffer through an insufferable arrogant alpha-man who whines, complains, and dresses up in an itty bitty leather thing and war paint in a piss-poor attempt to frighten off the heroine? Silly man. And all this happens within the first several pages of the book.

Apparently, Mr. Ring Montgomery has PO'd not only me but his colonel who has forced him to escort an opera singer safely into the dangerous gold mines. He thin
Jamie Dacyczyn
2015 Reading Challenge: A book by an author with the same initials as me.

I read about half of this, and then skimmed the rest. It was about as cheesy and clichéd as you'd expect a romance novel from 1990 to be.

Still, I gave it two stars because it was at least an easy read and it actually had a plot, albeit a far-fetched one.

Oh, but I have to add that the sex scene was completely ridiculous. Even more so than most. He tackled her to the floor and then went full insertion in the same motion? Ho
Kelly
I am going to write the same thing for the Taggart and Montgomery series of Jude Deveraux. First, I can't believe that I read these books because they are so blatantly bodice rippers (not my style at all). And second, and more importantly, I devoured them all! Here is the scoop: We stopped at a friend's house in Tennessee on the last leg of one of our cross country trips about 11 years ago and I had run out of books. She gave me three of Deveraux's books in the Montgomery series and I kindly too ...more
Te
Jan 08, 2015 Te rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hurray for independent women!

Reading a Jude Deveraux book is like drinking a cup of hot chocolate on a cold day. She never fails to create characters that can tug on her readers' heartstrings.

I especially loved this part:

He smiled at her in the darkness. I just have to make you more aware of me, that's all, he thought. I have to make you see me as a man. I want some of that passion that you give to your music. He stretched his free hand across the space between them and touched her fingertips. S
Anne Marie
This was a nice little historical romance novel, and I enjoyed it up until the point of 'Ring and Maddie discussing their life when they would be married. I think 'Ring's suggestion of moving to Warbrooke and building her an opera house where she could sing for audiences who wanted to hear her was a great idea. But Maddie wanted her way of traveling around the world and not "singing in a cage." In the end, I guess they made a compromise, but Maddie really just got her way. I think it will be hap ...more
Mirjam
Captain Ring Montgomery is a man of many qualities. So many in fact that some would call him perfect. When Colonel Harrison sees an opportunity to rid himself of Mr. Perfect, to whom all the men and women at the ford look up, he wastes no time. Much to his chagrin Ring finds himself tasked to escort the La Reina a.k.a. Maddie, an opera singer, into Colorado's gold fields. At a loss why on earth an opera singer wants to perform in rural saloons and eager to return to the fort to take up far more ...more
Karissa Keith
Aug 17, 2013 Karissa Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful love story, with tons of twists and turns.
This story has another handsome Montgomery,
Whom's commanding officer on the army thought it would be hilarious to send him off on a "strange" assignment. He's to escort an Opera singer through the dangerous gold fields of Colorado, to sing for the hard working and drinking miners. Ring Montgomery wasn't pleased with his assignment to "babysit" a traveling singer when they were on the verge of the Clivil War.
The "traveling Singer wa
Sol González
Sep 03, 2016 Sol González rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2007
Para este libro la familia Montgomery ya ha establecido un imperio económico (yo imagino con ayuda de los Taggert) y la Warbrooke Shipping, una industria marítima esta conformada y hace ricos y mimados a todos ellos (y dejan de cazar a herederas).

Este es el libro de Ring y Maddison. A Deveraux le ha de haber gustado esta pareja, puesto que es nombrada con frecuencia en otros libros ya sea uno u otro personaje.

La historia trata del capitan Ring Montgomery, un soldado bastante eficaz en su trabajo
Stacie  M. Ritchie
May 05, 2010 Stacie M. Ritchie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is another of the Montgomery book by Jude Deveraux. These books span time periods and locations. This is the story of ‘Ring Montgomery who is a captain in the Army. He is stationed in the West and is much loved by his fellow Army officers, the ladies, and most everyone else. The one exception is his commanding officer, who sends him to guard an opera singer that is touring the mining camps. The first attempt with the lady is that he tries to scare her, which doesn’t work. LaReina (the singe ...more
Jen
Nov 03, 2016 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-chic-lit
Maddie is one of the worlds greatest singers, but when her sister is kidnapped, she's charged with singing opera in 6 gold camps in the remote west. Knowing the hardship of what's she's facing doesn't stop Maddie from packing up and heading out. The army has decided to send her an escort in the form of Captain Ring Montgomery. His commanding officer thought it would be funny to send him out to be a lady's maid, but Ring isn't having it. He figures to scare the woman and convince her to head back ...more
Helen
Years ago I read The Virginian by Owen Wister and I think I still prefer that to this. The original premise is possible since commanding officers did misuse their personnel in this way, but I don't know about Toby. There are a number of passages which are written for the purpose of titillation, but then the cover of my copy is pink, so I should have known. She does her research, that's for certain since most of the background sounds right except that no gentleman, and 'Ring is a gentleman, would ...more
Maria Sanigan
May 29, 2013 Maria Sanigan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thus, the story had proven the fact that if you really love someone with your whole heart, you are indeed willing to sacrifice or give-up important things just for the person you love yet without the feeling of losing or failure. As a matter of fact, the novel had proven that you have to realize that you have to give something up just so something of greater value -such as love- may come along. As much as I wanted to share the whole story with you -because of how delightful I really am to have r ...more
Sharyn
May 27, 2014 Sharyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I am obsessively reading the Montgomery books in no particular order because of Deveraux's newest book. I had never read any, and they are easy reads and kind of cute. This one takes place in the West in 1859, with a slight mystery and a funny love story. Maddie is an opera singer (clearly the genes from Alyx in the medieval series, and 'ring is a typical Montgomery, handsome and stubborn. Can be a stand alone. Written in 1990 the sex is subtle and sort of funny. Will continue to read them as ...more
Melissa
'Ring is a straight-laced Captain in the army and Maddie is what seems to be a refined Opera singer but underneath grew up a adventurous mountain girl with famous explorers for parents. Maddie will do whatever it takes to get her little sister Laurel back from kidnappers and 'Ring who is in the dark about the kidnapping tries to make Maddie leave the gold camps and go home. Along the way they have adventures and fights and fall in love. A very compelling read. Truly enjoyable.
Michelle Connolly
This book could've easily had a 5 star rating if it hadn't been for the last few chapters. It's not the ending I had a problem with, but a little before then. It somehow made me lose interest in the whole story. On the other hand, what I liked most about this book was the chemistry between the two main characters, which was really fun to read.
I definitely enjoyed this Jude Deveraux book better than the last I read.
Christina Strause-stalkfleet
Captain Ring Montgomery is basically a perfect man, so his Colonel thought it would be funny to have Ring escort an opera singer, Maddie, to the gold mines where she wants to sing for the miners. Ring didn't think this would be a good idea for her and tried to scare her into going back home but Maddie was very determined for her own reasons to go forward.
June
Jul 18, 2016 June rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Montgomery/Taggert fans
LaReina must sing to the gold miners out west to save her younger sister who has been kidnapped. Montgomery has been punished with the duty to escort her. Unknowing of her being blackmailed he tries to scare her off. Put off with his high and mighty ways she drugs him and leaves him behind.

Maybe more of a 2.5, not her best effort or most sympathetic characters.
Alicia
Feb 03, 2012 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really cute. I loved the story line and the romance in it. It was quite a unique story that only Jude Deveraux can come up with. The two main characters are both stubborn so at times it was sketchy with them and the drama it caused was very interesting to read. I highly recommend this book.
Virginia Markhart
I am so glad to be finished with this book. Took forever to get through it. I had to drag myself along and could only read a few pages at a time. Opera singer heads west to sing to the miners and the army guy is sent to protect her. Well yeah they fall in lust...enough already. She was actually searching for her younger sister, Laurel, who had been kidnapped. geez.
Donna
Nov 17, 2011 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like books that are about the frontier and those that took place in the mid part of the 1800's so this one about Captain Montgomery a handsome, a skilled rider, a crack shot, popular with the men and their ladies was fun to read. Some of the story seemed a little unrealistic, but after this is fiction not history I told myself.
Jen Warren
Jude Deveraux is the queen of betas, and I forgive much of the silliness of her books because I enjoy the heroes she writes. This one was just too much. Too over the top. I rolled my eyes so often, I almost DNFd this twice.
Diane Wachter
Mountain Laurel, Jude Deveraux, AudioBook, @ 1990, 3/00, while knitting Sarah's afghan. Maddie Worth, LaReina the Singing Duchess, is on a secret mission to free her younger sister Laurel from kindappers, and frontier soldier Ring Montgomery could only get in her way, and does! Fun.
Feb 05, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance
Bodice-ripping romance set in the Wild West during the Gold Rush. Romance and adventure and opera... Very fluffy, but if what you want is a nice easy read with a romantic, manly hero and a heroine who isn't completely soppy, Jude Deveraux is spot on.
StrangeBedfellows
I sort of liked this book, but honestly I just never ... got it. The story felt very convoluted, leaving me with a bunch of, "Huh? Okay, why?" It would have been nice to take these fairly likable characters and transplant them into a better story.
jessica wilson
huh. i really wanted to like this more. i didn't hate it but it was slooooooow reading and a bit flat.
Gamatst
I liked this book when I read it many years ago. Now I have it on audio and hope to find it an enjoyable listen also.
Vanessa
Oct 02, 2013 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the heroine, loved the hero, but the story was not as exciting as the other Montgomery books. So gave it 4 stars. It was still good though.
Moira
Nov 21, 2013 Moira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like how this book works to make opera more appealing to the "common man." Plus, the whole Taggert & Montegomery clan stories rank among my favorites of all time.
Brandy
Nov 27, 2007 Brandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance Lovers
I love Jude Deveraux, she's all about the STORY, her books are not SMUT like some romance novels...which are nice sometimes too..lol, but, this one is another good one by Jude!
Arlene Allen
Oct 23, 2010 Arlene Allen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Not one of my favorite Deveraux, not compared to Knight in Shining Armor or Wishes or even her Velvet quartet.
  • Tender Is the Storm
  • Rosehaven (Medieval Song, #5)
  • Guardian Angel (Crown's Spies, #2)
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo
More about Jude Deveraux...

Montgomery/Taggert (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • The Black Lyon (Montgomery/Taggert, #1)
  • The Duchess (Montgomery/Taggert, #2)
  • The Temptress (Montgomery/Taggert, #3)
  • The Raider (Montgomery/Taggert, #4)
  • Sweet Liar (Montgomery/Taggert, #6)
  • Wishes (Montgomery/Taggert, #7)
  • The Princess (Montgomery/Taggert, #8)
  • Eternity (Montgomery/Taggert, #9)
  • Someone to Love (Montgomery/Taggert, #10)
  • The Heiress (Montgomery/Taggart, #11)

“When she heard the deep-sleep breathing of Captain Montgomery, she turned and hissed at him. How could he sleep? The most awful things could happen and men never lost their appetites or their ability to sleep. Put food in front of a man and he ate it. Lay a man horizontal and he went to sleep—or he began fumbling with the buttons on a woman’s dress.” 1 likes