Start by marking “Waxman Report” as Want to Read:
Waxman Report

Waxman Report

At a time when some of the most sweeping national initiatives in decades are being debated, Congressman Henry Waxman offers a fascinating inside account of how Congress really works by describing the subtleties and complexities of the legislative process.
For four decades, Waxman has taken visionary and principled positions on crucial issues and been a driving force for ch
Published July 2nd 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Waxman Report, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waxman Report

Mandy
Mar 06, 2013 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waxman is one of the great lions of Congressional oversight, and will forever be a legend for going after the tobacco industry. This book is a highly readable instructional narrative as to how the legislative branch can be effective custodians of taxpayer dollars and the public's health and welfare. Upstarts may be disappointed to learn oversight takes time, and one should note Waxman's committee positions afforded him opportunities many members of Congress (especially in the minority) don't hav ...more
Todd
Aug 08, 2009 Todd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its refreshing to read about what government has done right in an era where 1/2 the government claims 'government is the problem' or as simpleton sarah palin shrieks 'government is evil.'
Should be required reading in high schools!
Oct 26, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great insight on congressional processes and the long road to passing legislation. I generally hate politics because I'm too impatient and hate all the compromising and negotiating it requires, but the ease with which I read this (ghost-written) book may prompt me to find another.
Rachel
Aug 04, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned new things about how Congress works, and I learned some interesting history of House battles from the 70s to the present. I heart Waxman a lot.
Christian Ave'Lallemant
Great information in here, just couldn't get past the blue curtain.
Danis
Feb 04, 2016 Danis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
good at explaining committee workings in congress
Caroline
Can Waxman come back to Congress and be there forever?
Apr 08, 2012 Laura rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'll admit, when I first checked this book out of the library, I thought it was going to be the exact opposite of what it really is. For some reason I had the impression that it was going to be about Congressional gridlock instead of Congressional accomplishments, because, as the introduction clearly states, that's pretty much what Americans think Congress does- nothing. Instead, this is going to be a book about all of the things that government accomplishes on our behalf that we don't realize o ...more
Blog on Books
Sep 23, 2010 Blog on Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank God for Henry Waxman. As Chairman of the House Energy and Commerce committee (and former Chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform committee), Waxman, a three decade congressman from Southern California is one of the leading proponents of enforcing regulations on companies and agencies who might otherwise be effective at skirting laws designed to protect citizens from unethical and often times, illegal abuse.

As a career politician, Waxman sheds valuable light on the process tha
Frank Stein
Sep 08, 2010 Frank Stein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm no fan of the ever priggrish, ever self-righteous Henry Waxman, this is a great look at the everyday work of congressmen in contemporary America. I admittedly almost closed the book after the very first page, in which he describes the tobacco hearings before his House Energy and Commerce Committee as "like the McCarthy and Watergate hearings" in their historical import, and a "turning point in our national history" (good god, the meglomania!). Fortunately such flights of fancy are r ...more
Karen
Mar 01, 2010 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rep. Waxman is disgustingly upbeat for a cynic like me - but the thought can't be avoided that maybe that's why he got so much done! His fellow politicians probably would have hated him if he had thought they were sleazes desperate to keep their campaign-money sources happy, instead of decent, honest people just doing the best they can.

The main lesson I came away with, of use mainly to political leaders who want to pass good laws that offend powerful special interests, is that it can take a lot
Elderberrywine
Mar 27, 2014 Elderberrywine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
A nostalgic return to those halcyon days when our legislative body actually accomplished something, and when there was a bipartisan ability to occasionally act for the common good despite all the money whichever Big Industry was currently feeling threatened managed to toss at it.

Henry Waxman (or as Jon Stewart so memorably nicknamed him, "The Moustache of Justice") has been warring on the side of angels with his low key style and wry sense of humor for many a decade now, and we surely are going
Michael
Apr 28, 2011 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book was pretty boring and one-sided. I was hoping to get a feel for how Congress really worked but all I got from it was "Republicans mess everything up." And while I'm a Democrat myself, that was not what I was hoping to gain from this read. Besides the bias, the prose is also difficult to read. I had to reread sentences several times to understand where pauses were intended to be inserted and which adjectives matched with which nouns.
In general, I'm a fan of all of Waxman's efforts. I enj
Kelsey Stewart
Aug 27, 2009 Kelsey Stewart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know, I know. Snoresville. But really, believe me when I tell you that it is not. Now, this rave review is only intended for my liberal brethren. Henry Waxman is one of those individuals that reminds us, "Oh yeah, there really are people who get into politics to do good, smart things." He's organized this book in a geniusly simplistic way (so that you and I will not nod off). Each chapter focuses on a specific act or law that he personally worked on passing in Congress. And since he's been the ...more
Mark Valentine
Mar 12, 2016 Mark Valentine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Here's a piping-hot, double-tall order of optimism! Waxman's inside account of how Congress works gave me a full view of the process and the book concluded with enthusiasm and faith for the process.

Waxman has had his imprint on our laws. He was behind the Clean Air Act, AIDS/HIV and the Ryan White Act, and most recently, the Healthcare Act. He works for the citizens and for the good of all the population and thus is willing to engage in bi-partisanship in order to get the job accomplished. Ther
Vincent
Jun 14, 2010 Vincent rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: GOP staff on the energy and commerce committee
Despite his tiny profile and slightly funny appearance, it's hard not to like Henry Waxman.
He is hard working and smart and for the most part on the right side of all the big issues.
Most recently, he played a huge role in crafting the health care reform bill that was approved and signed into law in March.
What's ironic is that will probably be remembered as not even Waxman's biggest accomplishments.
Instead, Waxman may be remembered as the guy who held the major, dramatic hearings on tobacco addic
Derek Postlewaite
Aug 30, 2015 Derek Postlewaite rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
This book started out as just OK and slowly grew on me. After Waxman shows you how he became a legislator, his chapters delve into the inner workings of landmark legislation, in most cases from the perspective of a committee chairman--he chaired the Oversight Committee. He refutes what he calls the misconception of American politics, that is that great legislation is the result of opposite extremes compromising and meeting each other in the middle. Rather, although he never explicitly states thi ...more
Maciek
Jan 18, 2013 Maciek rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, english
This book has one goal: to convince the hoi polloi that all those long congressional meetings, the years-long probes into corporations or other government bureaus are not only consequential, but also salutary in effect. Waxman is a seasoned Democrat who oversaw the biggest changes in tobacco industry regulations. He describes the difficulties, crises, and defeats, in the road to creating a system of laws that protects people from nefarious corporate machinations (as it would be hard to give any ...more
Trevor
Apr 03, 2010 Trevor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look into the legislative process from the perspective of a career politician. I enjoyed the glimpse behind the scenes of how laws are written and passed. I've had a lot of respect for Henry Waxman for a long time and I believe he's one of the honest good guys in Washington. Although a little dry at times and definitely not a "must read," I was still engaged throughout the book and found the overall message to be both interesting and compelling.
Robin
Nov 28, 2009 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Henry Waxman. He is far and away my favorite government official of all time. His book explores the behind the scenes efforts that go into passing and blocking legislation. The style is formulaic but the breadth of topics held my attention.The book explores everything ranging from the Clean Air Act to Big Tobacco to Major League Baseball. An excellent, geek-out read.
Brynn
Nov 21, 2011 Brynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Took a while to get through but I'm glad I did. Waxman seems very aware that this book is for public consumption. He's always guarded and "on message." Still, his devotion to his various causes makes one believe in government.
Jacob
I saw this book pilloried on The Stranger, Seattle's alt-weekly newspaper, by some smart-ass hipster. Called it "unsexy." I posted a scathing rebuttal in the comment section--first time eva! There are some good stories in this volume, but maybe that's because I also own a C-SPAN mug.
Jacob
Dec 31, 2010 Jacob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, but not as substantial as I'd hoped. The majority of the book is a recounting of Waxman's political projects, many and admirable, and his perfection of the hearing as bully pulpit. The best part is the lingering warmth of forty years of hard work on behalf of his constituents.
Lou
Oct 28, 2009 Lou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He Congress works and how he worked Congress over the last 35 years. If you are interested in the current debate on healthcare reform this book will provide a background for the inner workings of how bills get through.
Beth
May 11, 2009 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth by: my dad
I appreciated this book because it conveys the genuine excitement of Committee work and hearings. I was annoyed by this book because having dealt with Waxman himself I can attest that he is an egotistical pest and this book is incredibly self-serving. Worth reading, though.
Drew
Dec 08, 2012 Drew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes interesting; seems like it is written for grade school civics class though.
Greg
Oct 11, 2010 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're not a legislative junkie, you might not appreciate it as much as I did.
Megan
Sep 10, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
super easy to read and very interesting anecdotal stories explaining how congress works.
Marc
May 01, 2011 Marc rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great look behind the scenes of creating legislation in the House.
CUNYGSJRESEARCH
Please check the display cases/shelves in our collection.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Death of Conservatism
  • Saviors and Survivors: Darfur, Politics, and the War on Terror
  • The Thirteen American Arguments: Enduring Debates That Define and Inspire Our Country
  • No Constitutional Right to Be Ladies: Women and the Obligations of Citizenship
  • Lyndon B. Johnson (The American Presidents, #36)
  • Journey into America
  • 31 Days: The Crisis That Gave Us the Government We Have Today
  • Power Trip: From Oil Wells to Solar Cells---Our Ride to the Renewable Future
  • In Our Own Words: Extraordinary Speeches of the American Century
  • Moyers on America: A Journalist and His Times
  • Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches
  • The Crisis