Start by marking “Waxman Report” as Want to Read:
Waxman Report

Waxman Report

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  30 reviews
At a time when some of the most sweeping national initiatives in decades are being debated, Congressman Henry Waxman offers a fascinating inside account of how Congress really works by describing the subtleties and complexities of the legislative process.
For four decades, Waxman has taken visionary and principled positions on crucial issues and been a driving force for ch
Published July 2nd 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Waxman Report, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waxman Report

Mandy
Waxman is one of the great lions of Congressional oversight, and will forever be a legend for going after the tobacco industry. This book is a highly readable instructional narrative as to how the legislative branch can be effective custodians of taxpayer dollars and the public's health and welfare. Upstarts may be disappointed to learn oversight takes time, and one should note Waxman's committee positions afforded him opportunities many members of Congress (especially in the minority) don't hav ...more
Elderberrywine
A nostalgic return to those halcyon days when our legislative body actually accomplished something, and when there was a bipartisan ability to occasionally act for the common good despite all the money whichever Big Industry was currently feeling threatened managed to toss at it.

Henry Waxman (or as Jon Stewart so memorably nicknamed him, "The Moustache of Justice") has been warring on the side of angels with his low key style and wry sense of humor for many a decade now, and we surely are going
Great insight on congressional processes and the long road to passing legislation. I generally hate politics because I'm too impatient and hate all the compromising and negotiating it requires, but the ease with which I read this (ghost-written) book may prompt me to find another.
Todd
Its refreshing to read about what government has done right in an era where 1/2 the government claims 'government is the problem' or as simpleton sarah palin shrieks 'government is evil.'
Should be required reading in high schools!
Rachel
I learned new things about how Congress works, and I learned some interesting history of House battles from the 70s to the present. I heart Waxman a lot.
I'll admit, when I first checked this book out of the library, I thought it was going to be the exact opposite of what it really is. For some reason I had the impression that it was going to be about Congressional gridlock instead of Congressional accomplishments, because, as the introduction clearly states, that's pretty much what Americans think Congress does- nothing. Instead, this is going to be a book about all of the things that government accomplishes on our behalf that we don't realize o ...more
Vincent
Jun 15, 2010 Vincent rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: GOP staff on the energy and commerce committee
Despite his tiny profile and slightly funny appearance, it's hard not to like Henry Waxman.
He is hard working and smart and for the most part on the right side of all the big issues.
Most recently, he played a huge role in crafting the health care reform bill that was approved and signed into law in March.
What's ironic is that will probably be remembered as not even Waxman's biggest accomplishments.
Instead, Waxman may be remembered as the guy who held the major, dramatic hearings on tobacco addic
Kelsey Stewart
I know, I know. Snoresville. But really, believe me when I tell you that it is not. Now, this rave review is only intended for my liberal brethren. Henry Waxman is one of those individuals that reminds us, "Oh yeah, there really are people who get into politics to do good, smart things." He's organized this book in a geniusly simplistic way (so that you and I will not nod off). Each chapter focuses on a specific act or law that he personally worked on passing in Congress. And since he's been the ...more
Frank Stein
Although I'm no fan of the ever priggrish, ever self-righteous Henry Waxman, this is a great look at the everyday work of congressmen in contemporary America. I admittedly almost closed the book after the very first page, in which he describes the tobacco hearings before his House Energy and Commerce Committee as "like the McCarthy and Watergate hearings" in their historical import, and a "turning point in our national history" (good god, the meglomania!). Fortunately such flights of fancy are r ...more
Michael
The book was pretty boring and one-sided. I was hoping to get a feel for how Congress really worked but all I got from it was "Republicans mess everything up." And while I'm a Democrat myself, that was not what I was hoping to gain from this read. Besides the bias, the prose is also difficult to read. I had to reread sentences several times to understand where pauses were intended to be inserted and which adjectives matched with which nouns.
In general, I'm a fan of all of Waxman's efforts. I enj
Karen
Rep. Waxman is disgustingly upbeat for a cynic like me - but the thought can't be avoided that maybe that's why he got so much done! His fellow politicians probably would have hated him if he had thought they were sleazes desperate to keep their campaign-money sources happy, instead of decent, honest people just doing the best they can.

The main lesson I came away with, of use mainly to political leaders who want to pass good laws that offend powerful special interests, is that it can take a lot
Blog on Books
Thank God for Henry Waxman. As Chairman of the House Energy and Commerce committee (and former Chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform committee), Waxman, a three decade congressman from Southern California is one of the leading proponents of enforcing regulations on companies and agencies who might otherwise be effective at skirting laws designed to protect citizens from unethical and often times, illegal abuse.

As a career politician, Waxman sheds valuable light on the process tha
Maciek
This book has one goal: to convince the hoi polloi that all those long congressional meetings, the years-long probes into corporations or other government bureaus are not only consequential, but also salutary in effect. Waxman is a seasoned Democrat who oversaw the biggest changes in tobacco industry regulations. He describes the difficulties, crises, and defeats, in the road to creating a system of laws that protects people from nefarious corporate machinations (as it would be hard to give any ...more
Trevor
An interesting look into the legislative process from the perspective of a career politician. I enjoyed the glimpse behind the scenes of how laws are written and passed. I've had a lot of respect for Henry Waxman for a long time and I believe he's one of the honest good guys in Washington. Although a little dry at times and definitely not a "must read," I was still engaged throughout the book and found the overall message to be both interesting and compelling.
Robin
I love Henry Waxman. He is far and away my favorite government official of all time. His book explores the behind the scenes efforts that go into passing and blocking legislation. The style is formulaic but the breadth of topics held my attention.The book explores everything ranging from the Clean Air Act to Big Tobacco to Major League Baseball. An excellent, geek-out read.
Jacob
I saw this book pilloried on The Stranger, Seattle's alt-weekly newspaper, by some smart-ass hipster. Called it "unsexy." I posted a scathing rebuttal in the comment section--first time eva! There are some good stories in this volume, but maybe that's because I also own a C-SPAN mug.
Jacob
Fun, but not as substantial as I'd hoped. The majority of the book is a recounting of Waxman's political projects, many and admirable, and his perfection of the hearing as bully pulpit. The best part is the lingering warmth of forty years of hard work on behalf of his constituents.
Beth
May 11, 2009 Beth rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth by: my dad
I appreciated this book because it conveys the genuine excitement of Committee work and hearings. I was annoyed by this book because having dealt with Waxman himself I can attest that he is an egotistical pest and this book is incredibly self-serving. Worth reading, though.
Brynn
Took a while to get through but I'm glad I did. Waxman seems very aware that this book is for public consumption. He's always guarded and "on message." Still, his devotion to his various causes makes one believe in government.
Lou
He Congress works and how he worked Congress over the last 35 years. If you are interested in the current debate on healthcare reform this book will provide a background for the inner workings of how bills get through.
Bill
Interesting take on how congress works and surprisingly blunt in his regard or lack thereof for those in the opposition.
Megan
super easy to read and very interesting anecdotal stories explaining how congress works.
Drew
Sometimes interesting; seems like it is written for grade school civics class though.
Greg
If you're not a legislative junkie, you might not appreciate it as much as I did.
Juliette
Self-aggrandizing, yes, but a good look into the inside workings of Congress.
Marc
Great look behind the scenes of creating legislation in the House.
Connie
Read for Rockville book club. Will critique after our meeting.
CUNYGSJRESEARCH
Please check the display cases/shelves in our collection.
Cathy
I just skimmed -- it was too about him.
  • The Death of Conservatism
  • The Thirteen American Arguments: Enduring Debates That Define and Inspire Our Country
  • Saviors and Survivors: Darfur, Politics, and the War on Terror
  • Moyers on America: A Journalist and His Times
  • No Constitutional Right to Be Ladies: Women and the Obligations of Citizenship
  • 31 Days: The Crisis That Gave Us the Government We Have Today
  • In Our Own Words: Extraordinary Speeches of the American Century
  • Power Trip: From Oil Wells to Solar Cells---Our Ride to the Renewable Future
  • Reflections on the Revolution In Europe: Immigration, Islam, and the West
  • The Boys on the Bus
  • Broken Government: How Republican Rule Destroyed the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial Branches
  • Sleeping with the Devil: How Washington Sold Our Soul for Saudi Crude
  • The Predator State: How Conservatives Abandoned the Free Market and Why Liberals Should Too
  • The Crisis
  • The New Industrial State (James Madison Library in American Politics)
  • Hubris: The Inside Story of Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War
  • Curveball: Spies, Lies, and the Man Behind Them: How America Went to War in Iraq
  • A Woman's Crusade: Alice Paul and the Battle for the Ballot
Prescription for Harm Income and Racial Disparities in the Undercount in the 2000 Presidential Election Financial Report of the Us Government for Fiscal Year 2004 America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009l H.R. 3200