Start by marking “Magnus Fin and the Ocean Quest (Magnus Fin, #1)” as Want to Read:
Magnus Fin and the Ocean Quest  (Magnus Fin, #1)

Magnus Fin and the Ocean Quest (Magnus Fin #1)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  5 reviews
There has always been something unusual about Magnus Fin, a school misfit. On his 11th birthday Magnus throws a message in a bottle out to sea, wishing for a best friend and to be more brave - and he gets a lot more than he bargained for.
Published 2010 by Kelpies

To ask other readers questions about Magnus Fin and the Ocean Quest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magnus Fin and the Ocean Quest

Juliet Wilson
At the beginning of the book, Magnus Fin is almost eleven, his parents have some strange disease that has aged them well beyond their years and Magnus has no friends his own age. Then along comes Tarkin, a cool American kid who quickly becomes Magnus' friend, brought together by their common love of the sea and the beaches.

On his eleventh birthday, Magnus discovers that his father is a selkie and that he himself is part human part selkie. This means that he can move between the worlds and he isc
Liz Ballif
I thought this was cute story about a boy who discovers who true heritage, makes friends, and finds himself in the process. I loved the Scottish aspects of the story (it takes place in Scotland, involves Scottish lore, and is written by a Scottish author) because they definitely added a certain richness to the need for Magnus's heritage. I'd have to say that my favorite character was Tarkin--he made me smile everytime he talked. Something about him really charmed me. Overall, I liked this book.
Jackie Mc
What a canny book!
I found it while I was on holiday on the Isle of Skye, it was the only children's book I could find. As I had a closer look I really court my eye. I have read it as it is a Scottish Children's book, it was a different type of read. The book was based in Scotland and about the sea, quite sad it the begining but by the middle it got exciting and I really love it. I'm reading the second book now. 10 out of 10!
Catherine Byrne
Mar 24, 2012 Catherine Byrne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children aged 6 to 90+
Like all of Janis MacKay's books, this is a magical adventure of a half seal boy and his friends. I buy them all for my grandchildren and read them myself first! Janis has a talent for, not only caopturing the child's vopice, but also the unique atmosphere of the Highlands of Scotland. Many more books from your pen, Janis!
Thalestral
5 stars. A really charming tale, original and nicely paced. With it being a Kelpie winner (Scottish children's book prize) this is especially good reading for Scottish kids or those who are fond of Scotland. Age range is 8-12 years old. I highly recommend this one!
Megan Fine
Megan Fine marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Soumalya Mukherjee
Soumalya Mukherjee is currently reading it
Dec 12, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Darth Fierce
Darth Fierce marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Sirenita
Sirenita marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Mightyguy
Mightyguy marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Keith Dumble
Keith Dumble marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Gabrielle
Gabrielle marked it as to-read
May 21, 2013
Nevey Badr
Nevey Badr marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2013
mtkth
mtkth added it
Feb 19, 2013
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2012
Wensday
Wensday marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2012
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2012
Catherine  Mustread
Catherine Mustread marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2010
3190740
I am from Edinburgh, have travelled a lot, lived in France, Israel, Greece, London, Sussex, the far north of Scotland, and am now back in Edinburgh, with a collie dog, a river across the road and two Rowan trees in the garden. I always wanted to be a writer but following advice to get ‘a proper job’ I took myself off to the big city of London when I was just nineteen and trained to be a journalist ...more
More about Janis Mackay...
The Accidental Time Traveller Magnus Fin and the Selkie Secret (Magnus Fin, #3) Magnus Fin and the Moonlight Mission (Magnus Fin, #2) The Reluctant Time Traveller The Selkie Girl