Start by marking “The Mark of an Alpha (Pack Discipline #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mark of an Alpha (Pack Discipline #1)

The Mark of an Alpha (Pack Discipline #1)

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  1,825 Ratings  ·  153 Reviews
Book one in the Pack Discipline Series

Dominance and submission mean different things to werewolves than to humans. Once Marsdon and Bennett try things the human way – nothing can ever be the same for them again.

Werewolf tradition is very clear. The alpha pair is the corner stone of the pack. Equality between the alphas is everything. Alphas mate with alphas.

Human leather c
Published January 4th 2010 by Total E-Bound

To ask other readers questions about The Mark of an Alpha, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mark of an Alpha

Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
945 books — 1,305 voters
Submission by Chris OwenDomination by Chris OwenRough Canvas by Joey W. HillDiscipline by Chris OwenBondage by Chris Owen
Best Gay BDSM
722 books — 1,032 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan
Dec 26, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
Recommended to Susan by: Elsbeth
Shelves: bdsm, shifters, mm
Re-read August 31st 2015

Still as good the second time. This book is not fluffy in any way, but it's so good.

-------------------------------

Kim Dare sure know how to write gorgeous, meaningful BDSM scenes.
This book starts out with such a beautiful scene, I was really moved.

Bennet and Marsdon (LOVE the names!) are both wolf shifters.

description

This book starts with a scene where Bennet is submissive to the dominant Marsdon. Bennet wears a leather hood, so neither of them know the identity of the other wolf.
Gigi
Nov 25, 2012 Gigi rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-shifters, mm-bdsm
I enjoyed this tale of two Alpha werewolf shifters, destined to be mates, but who had been in a secret D/s relationship in the past. (Suspend disbelief! It's just a story damnit!) It was fun and frustrating and sexy and irritating and was just the perfect length.

Recommended for all M/M shifters lovers who like big-bad-Dominant werewolves. Woof!
MLE
Sep 15, 2015 MLE rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, lendle
I liked the respect the characters had for each other, and the focus on the difference between public and private spaces and personas. It's refreshing to read a story like this that explores different ways of being alpha instead of playing into tired tropes. I liked it much more than I expected to.

description
Serena Yates
Dec 30, 2009 Serena Yates rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay
This is a wonderful book that explores a slightly different interpetation of submission and dominance between two werewolves.

Bennett struggles between wanting to submit sexually and needing to be outwardly strong as the leader of his pack. Marsdon, the 'master' Bennett has fallen in love with, understands this and is extremely loving and tender. The story focuses on the developing understanding between the two lovers about what role submission and dominance will play in their life.

The approach i
Lilia Ford
This wasn't bad, and had Dare's usual hot sex scenes, but I really wish it had done more with the "shifter" setting. Almost the entire focus was on Bennett's conflicts about being a sub when he's supposed to be an alpha, which could pretty easily be reworked to take out any mention of the paranormal: i.e. can one be a "submissive" in a relationship and also a leader? Answer: yes. It's a worthy question, but it didn't feel like enough to carry the plot. I kept waiting for more on the shifter side ...more
JenMcJ
Dec 29, 2009 JenMcJ rated it really liked it
A longer book 100 pages from Kim. I like it! Want more!

It looks like this is the beginning of a series. I certainly hope to see more of Marsden and Bennett. I am curious to see how they balance their partnership.

The beginning and ending were fabulous with just enough angst in the middle to make the payoff. As the beginning of a series though, the secondary characters weren't fleshed out quite enough, except maybe the Omega, to get a feel for how much I really want to hear their story.

I had so
S.J.D. Peterson
This was an amazing story about coming to terms with and understanding the desire and need by Bennett to submit. He finds a sense of calm and rightness in allowing his "Master" to have control. For Bennett it's a freedom he indulges in before he takes his rightful place as a pack Alpha. At least that is what he tries to convince himself. It is so easy for people to view subs as weak. I love how this author shows how much strength it takes to submit and that sometimes even an Alpha isn't that str ...more
Betryal
Dec 30, 2009 Betryal rated it it was amazing
What happens when the role is reveresed and the Dom is chasing after his Sub who's denying he was one during the months they were together but not really knowing who each other was because a mask kept each other from knowing? This was a winding spectacle of a twist in this story that I really had to say I enjoyed and it wasn't the norm D/s story that you'd expect it to me. Really enjoyed this one.
Theresa
Nov 05, 2014 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
Maintained 5 stars on second read.
Wendy
Eventhough BDSM is normally not my thing, I was pleasantly surprised by this one. There is no spanking, just some bondage. It's really all about submission. There wasn't a lot of shifting in this book, which was a bit dissapointing, but then again...this was a very short read. I really liked the MC's and I could understand were Bennett was coming from. He did get on my nerves toward the ending though. Marsdon was just awesome !!

I think I will be reading more about this author in the future :)

4 s
Therese
Apr 19, 2014 Therese rated it did not like it
No, this just did not work for me. The blurb sounded great, a different take on the alpha business, why not?. And it started out quite interesting in the club. But after that, no no no.

When I read a PNR/Shifter story, I need a bit more world-building,.
As an example, there was a moment when Bennet refers to alpha behavior:
“You think I like knowing that? Do you really think I’m proud of not being able to please my mate the way an alpha should be able to ? Bennett demanded”- and I had no idea wha
Jimmy Hanson
Apr 11, 2010 Jimmy Hanson rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2011, shifter, bdsm, 2012
The first opening scene of this novella is beautiful and seductive. By the second scene I was drawn in and taken by Bennett's plight; almost immediately Marsdon recognizes him as the hooded sub from the first scene [although silently - he doesn't give anyone else any reason to suspect anything], and soon enough after Bennett has to face the fact that Marsdon was that dominant he fell in love with.

From there it gets kitchy. Bennett becomes super edgy and paranoid, and no matter what Marsdon does
Ami
Feb 25, 2010 Ami rated it liked it
Marsdon and Bennett meet at BDSM club; Bennett is the submissive and Marsdon is his master. But they are actually both Alpha for their own pack. When they meet again outside the club, they are actually arranged to be mated. I love reading Bennett's inner struggle, trying to proof to Marsdon and the pack that he is an Alpha ... and that he cannot act submissive around his mate because that is not how an Alpha should react. It's very interesting tale ...
Wren
Jan 05, 2010 Wren rated it liked it
I usually like Kim's books a lot. This one had just too much angst for me to really enjoy it. The dom/sub relationship between Marsdon and Bennett had a lot of potential. As the book went on, I found myself really resenting Bennett and his constant stressing. I would have liked to have seen him learn more about the strength of a sub, move beyond his stubbornness and deal with his fears.
Makhda
So beautiful. It was intense. I liked it a lot. <3

What I disliked :
Reluctant mate plot is very frustrating. Thank god, this was good.
Phaney
Apr 02, 2013 Phaney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, oh-yes
Two and a half years. If possible, I like this book even more the second time around.

Very uneasy atmosphere; there wasn’t a single moment of rest and safety until the very end despite the two of them loving one another since before the opening of the story. It was a bit of a longer story, too. Not really novel length but nevertheless satisfying.

This discomfort was worth it, though. The struggle… it was interesting because that side of things needed to be explored. It was a different approach to
Elisa Rolle
This was quite an original paranormal M/M romance, a comparison between the D/s relationships and the strict pack order of the traditional shapeshifter romance. In a Dom/sub relationship the roles are quite clear, the Master is the Dom and the pet is the sub, there is no blurry line; the same clear is the structure of a pack, the Alpha is the leaser, the beta and gamma are the enforcerers and the omega is the weaker member, the one who has to be cherished and protected, like a lucky mascotte. So ...more
Tara
Bennett and Marsdon are wolves. They meet anonymously in a club, with Bennett as a hooded submissive and Marsdon as a dominant. They carry on an affair as long as they can until they both regretfully have to leave to start new lives. But the parting is is difficult for both because in their time together, despite remaining anonymous they still had fallen in love. Bennett is an alpha wolf and he is nervous about fulfilling that role with his secret history of being a sub. Not to mention he misses ...more
Tracey
Jan 10, 2013 Tracey rated it really liked it

Bennett, has been visiting a sex club for a few months and has became attached to his master, Bennett has always hidden his identity by wearing a hood, his master calls him 'pup', well they are both werewolves! While sharing there last night together they both feel the pull they have on each other.

Photobucket

Bennett is to be mated, his partner has been chosen for him by his parents - he is another alpha male as they obviously accept his gay. When Bennett finally meets his mate he can't but help r
Librarian Kate
Dec 02, 2011 Librarian Kate rated it really liked it
I adore D/s stories where the kink dynamic really allows each character to be the best person they can be. Bennett couldn't believe that his ability to be a good alpha was compatible with his need to submit to Marsden, and watching Marsden "court" him was a beautiful example of what I think a truly committed Dominant is all about. Taking care of his submissive in the best way he can, seeing past the surface denial because he never hears Bennett "safeword" in the relationship - Bennett protests, ...more
romanceandcoffee
This book was just not for me. Bennett just annoyed me to no end. Bennett met Marsdon(both are alpha wolves) in a BDSM club and he was Marsdons sub for a limited time. They met again at their mating ceremony not knowing who each of them was beforhand. There all went south for me. (view spoiler) ...more
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Dec 24, 2012 Barb ~rede-2-read~ rated it really liked it
Recommended to Barb ~rede-2-read~ by: Laura
This is the first in a series and oh boy, I am hooked! I really enjoyed this story with a different twist on the wolf theme. These wolves have a different type of hierarchy and allow for male mates as alphas. I enjoyed the beginning when Marsdon and Bennett didn't know each other except as dom and sub in a club scene. Bennett was disguised with a mask and human cologne so that he'd never be recognized.

When they both show up to be mated as per their pack's arrangements, they each recognize the o
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I didn't realize this was a BDSM book. I was quickly corrected within the first few sentences. HAH. This is probably my favourite book from Ms. Dare right now. I had tears sliding down my face about 1/2 way through the book. I'm not certain why this story moved me so much. After analyzing it for a bit, I believe it's because of Bennett's struggle with his submission while still being an Alpha. What he went through touched a nerve for me. His agony to try and separate and cut off that part of his ...more
Staceyr
Dec 29, 2009 Staceyr rated it really liked it
I loved the beginning and loved the end, the middle of this book about gave me lockjaw as I shared Marsdon's frustration and wanted to smack Bennett and tell him to "be a good pup!" Not that I didn't understand Bennett's conflict. Bennett is an alpha male who's devoted to his pack and sees it as his duty to suppress his submissive nature in order to take his place at the side of his alpha mate--only problem, his to-be mate knows his secret.

Marsdon and Bennett are both fantastic heroes, their st
Lani ⚔⚔  the Destroyer ⚔⚔
Jun 09, 2015 Lani ⚔⚔ the Destroyer ⚔⚔ rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, bdsm, pnr, shifters
First read in 2011 and reread in June 2015.

I admit I had completely forgotten I had read The Mark of an Alpha until a couple of chapters in, but since I barely remembered the story, it felt like a first time reading it. I enjoyed the connection between Marsdon and Bennett, and felt Bennett's struggle with their relationship along with his place as alpha in the pack. For the length of the book I thought this was explored really well. The world building is a little bit missing, but regardless it w
Nene
Sep 11, 2010 Nene rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, bdsm, shapeshifters
A little too angsty and woe is me for my tastes. I wanted to bang the guys heads together and say "just talk, you idjets!" But alas, that doesn't make a good story, does it? Other than that it was a fun read. I thought the idea behind the conflict was a really interesting one and something I hadn't really read before.
Finnegan
Aug 07, 2016 Finnegan rated it really liked it
Interesting story exploring sexual submission vs authority in RL. I really enjoy the interaction between Marsdon and Bennet and was absolutely ecstatic when (view spoiler)
Jonathan Treadway
Feb 23, 2010 Jonathan Treadway rated it really liked it
I'm not a huge fan of BDSM, but this was an interesting story. How can an alpha be submissive? I thought the story was handled well and I enjoyed the tension in the pack and how it was resolved. I'm looking forward to other stories in the series.
Chris
Jun 26, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
Very intriguing paranormal m/m romance that takes the standard alpha werewolf trait of dominance and mixes it up with bondage and submission. And it was nice to read a non-fated mates story. I'm definitely reading more in this series as they are available.
  • A Thread of Deepest Black
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • Domination (Deviations, #2)
  • Ethan's Freedom (Portals, #1)
  • Cursed (Cursed #1)
  • Primal Passions (Lost Shifters #1)
  • With Caution (With or Without, #2)
  • Marked (Northern Shifters #1)
  • Obedience Training (Ian McAllistor #1)
  • Bound and Determined
  • Lone
  • Chaos Magic (Gods and Chaos, #1)
  • Bloodlines (KinKaid Wolf Pack, #1)
  • On The Ragged Edge Of The World  (Calendar Boys, #10.5)
  • Surviving the Change
  • Rescued (Southwestern Shifters #1)
  • Body Magic (Triad #2)
Kim is a thirty-three year old bisexual submissive from Wales (UK). First published in 2008, she has since released almost 100 BDSM erotic romance titles ranging from short stories to full length novels. Having worked with a host of fantastic e-publishers, she has just moved into self publishing.

While she has occasionally ventured towards other pairings, Kim's first love is still, and probably alw
More about Kim Dare...

Pack Discipline (4 books)
  • The Strength of a Gamma (Pack Discipline #2)
  • The Duty of a Beta (Pack Discipline #3)
  • The Love of a Mate (Pack Discipline #4)

“One day you’ll expect better from me.” 13 likes