Start by marking “Tall Tales” as Want to Read:
Tall Tales

Tall Tales

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  167 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Meg's family has moved a lot because of her father's drinking. Meg arrives in her town longing to find a real friend, someone she can talk to and write stories with. When she and Grace join forces to write a book, she's thrilled that she has finally found someone who likes her for who she is, who trusts her and confides in her.

But she can't tell Grace about her father. Eve
Published May 8th 2007 by Wendy Lamb Books

To ask other readers questions about Tall Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tall Tales

Carissa Mann
Nov 02, 2015 Carissa Mann rated it really liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
"Tall Tales" is a great book for middle schoolers, especially girls in my opinion. The main character is struggling with being accepted by her peers and it is very relatable. Throughout the book the main character continues to tell lies- or tall tales- to feel accepted. This book is rich is vocabulary and imagery. This book reminds me of Gilly Hopkins in the sense that the main character is either loved or hated by the reader due to her constant lying. Also, the main character in "Tall Tales" ha ...more
Ruth Ann
The tension in Meg's home is palpable.
The sadness of her brother and sister makes me want to give them a "mom" hug.
Meg's hopefulness, her quest for friends and a better life for her family are inspiring and help to overcome the despair in her home and her story.
Meg's friendship with Grace makes her realize it was wrong to start her "tall tales" and they become harder and harder to explain. She longs for an honest relationship with Grace - but can she take that chance?
The most encouraging part
       ♥MarinaCNCA♥
Mar 20, 2009 ♥MarinaCNCA♥ added it
Recommends it for: yesenia montano
Recommended to ♥MarinaCNCA♥ by: no one
my level:x
book level:y
pages:230

the book tall tales is about megan and her family who move. she tells lies/tal tales because she's scared no one will like her when she goes to school she makes lies about that she had malaria and had livedin India, Australia, and Africa.the setting takes place in indiana. the characters of the story are megan: a liar, her dad : an alcoholic abby:7 year old sister teddy: 15 year old brother. grace: megan's best friend.her dad torments her and her family because
Bookslia
Aug 28, 2015 Bookslia rated it it was ok
WORST. 2. HOURS. SPENT. EVER.

Or at least one of the worst 2 hours I've spent ever.

The only reason why I started reading this was because I wanted to immediately get out of mourning. One of the worst things I've done in my life.

Meg was such a baby.

An excuse for a twelve-year-old, eccentric, full-of-herself, dumb baby.

All people could say was "Omigod, MEG IS SUCH A GOOD WRITER AND her imagination is SO VIVID."

The "good" writing could easily be accomplished by a seven-year-old in my school and
Mackenzie R.
May 27, 2013 Mackenzie R. rated it it was amazing
This is my very favorite book in the whole entire world. The first time i read it was in the 4th grade. Now, i am in 7th. I have read this book over 12 times, and i still love it.

I cry at the end every time. It is just so sad, but definitely RECOMMENDED.
Daneal
May 01, 2012 Daneal rated it it was amazing
i love this book very much all though some of it was sad i enjoyed it very much.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
This book taught a lesson to not lie to try to impress your friends. A.T.
Caleb
May 13, 2011 Caleb rated it it was amazing
I loved it! THeir dad went crazy and he asked them to move again for a new job. They were going to, but after he took Meg's sister by her shoulders and shook her until it hurt and she cried they let him go without the. Good for them. He scares me! This great realistic-fiction book about a girl trying to make a new life again is a great story that will be a family favorite forever. In Lake Heavens, Michigan nothing seems happy or fun, but if you have a good friend to get you through tough times t ...more
Julie Ray
Jun 27, 2011 Julie Ray rated it it was amazing
Tall Tales is a gripping book. As a reader, you become so attached to the main character, Meg. I found myself disappointed in her when she told her tall tales to peers and proud of her as she helped her mom stand up to her alcoholic father. Her relationship with her best friend Grace opened her mind and heart which challenged Meg to become a stronger person. This book tugs on your heart strings continually as the story develops. The writing artfully weaves character trait descriptions and short ...more
Megan
May 01, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 10-14 year old girls
Recommended to Megan by: Jill Makechnie
Shelves: teen
Jill Makechnie loaned this book to me following our book club in March where we read and discussed another Young Adult book. Jill knows the author, a Newton resident personally. I thought it was a great book for teens. The main character is fun and likeable, the story is compelling. It did drag a bit for me at the end, as I just became annoyed that the mother and the daughter in the story were too scared to remove themselves from the abusive relationship of the dad. I get annoyed with characters ...more
Zonia
May 02, 2010 Zonia rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-school
Difficult story to read and I would recommend this book to more mature classes/students. Meg Summers and her family are constantly on the move. Every few years she must learn to make new friends but can't seem to make any real friends. In trying to hide her family's secret she finds it easier to make up stories that to tell the truth. When they land in Indiana, Meg finally makes a real friend and begins to talk about her family's problems. When her alcoholic and verbally abusive father tries to ...more
Karen
Jan 28, 2011 Karen rated it really liked it
I've been reading this book for the past week while I've had a minute or so here and there. This is a great book for middle school kids. The main character is Meg, a 7th grader, and her family: dad, whose an alcoholic,her mom, older brother Teddy and younger sister Abby. They move around a lot because her dad wants to "start over" so Meg has a hard time making friends. In the beginning Meg seems to embellish a lot of her stories and she has hard time keeping track of what she tells to whom. Then ...more
Haley
Apr 09, 2008 Haley rated it it was ok
Texas Bluebonnet for next year. In order to hide the fact that Meg's home life is not the best, she tells "tall tales" in order to make her family seem more interesting. Her father is an alcoholic and can be abusive at times. Meg just wants a normal life, but her family picks up and moves whenever her dad gets upset at his boss or coworkers. Meg finally feels like she might be able to settle in at her new school when she finds the friend she's always wanted, Grace, but she has such a difficult t ...more
Jill
Oct 15, 2007 Jill rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 4-6
Summary:
Meg and her family move to Indiana and for the first time she makes a real friend. After her father breaks her brothers arm, the truth begins to come out. Meg finds comfort from Grace, and encourages her Mom not to move the family with her Dad again.

Reflection:
This is a great book that covers alcoholism and lying to a great extent. This will appeal to many children, and not just those in that kind of family situation.

Themes:
Alcoholism, friendship, family problems, family life
♔┊ᴍᴀʀᴛʜɪᴇ┊hiatus
I read this book when i was really young, and it was just too much. I came back to the book a few years later, but it was still a confusing book. I now get the actual meaning of it though.
Becky
Oct 22, 2007 Becky rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young adult readers
This is a tender and innocent look at the dysfunction of a family coming to grips with the father's alcoholism. It is told from the teen girl's POV. The family members keep secrets and think that is what is holding them together but it prevents them making friends. When the narrator makes a friend in the new town, she risks the family secret by no longer telling tall tales. This will be an important book for young people , especially those with similar family issues.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jul 24, 2009 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Meg’s family moves constantly, trying to accommodate Meg’s alcoholic father’s desire for a fresh start. Meg is tired of moving and is embarrassed about her family. To compensate, Meg tells outrageous stories about her family. For the first time, Meg makes a friend, a very tolerant girl named Grace. Gradually, Grace and others learn the truth about Meg and her family, but Grace turns out to be more than a fair weather friend.

Brynn
Jan 13, 2008 Brynn rated it really liked it
Although the main characters are in 6th grade, I feel this book would be more appropriate for a slightly older audience. It deals bluntly but accurately with domestic violence as it affects an entire family, both through emotional and physical abuse. It also tackles how alcoholism can become entwined with this issue. The writing is smooth and the story believable, but it might be too much for an 11 or 12 year old to handle.
Debby
Apr 28, 2008 Debby rated it really liked it
If you or someone you know has had to deal with an abusive parent, this is a great book that focuses on the emotionally driven choices of the main character without going into graphic detail of the abuse. Kids who have been subjected to various types of abuse (physical or verbal) or a parent with a substance abuse problem will really be able to sympathize with and learn from the characters in this story.
Ava
Aug 06, 2013 Ava rated it it was amazing
A story of a young girl looking to fit in and make friends with a messed up dad and a family that she knows is falling apart she hopes to find friendship but in the process she ends up lying to her best friend as well as other people so that they wont know about her father drinking problem and in hope that they will all like her better.
Dana
Apr 11, 2009 Dana rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful, adventurous book about a girl who just moved, has no friends, tells lies, and has a drunk dad. What will happen when she gets a friend? Will her friend be mad because she has lied so much? Will her friend find out that her dad is drunk? Read this wonderful book and find out!!! :)
Stephanie
Nov 13, 2010 Stephanie rated it liked it
Shelves: bluebonnets
When you move around a lot and your Dad is an alcoholic it can be hard making friends. And when people want to come to your house it can get even more complicated. Maybe it is easier to make up stories and say everyone in your family is sick...
Sep 16, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Wonderful book and it presents sensitive content in a palatable way. However, no matter how strong a reader a kids is, I would not give it to anyone below 6th grade. I think it was a poor choice for the Bluebonnet list - way too mature.
Angie
Aug 04, 2008 Angie rated it liked it
Another Bluebonnet about a kid with a sad home life. No worries ... still totally appropriate for kids. A way for kids in similar situations to relate and kids who are lucky enough to be in stable homes to experience empathy.
Kate
Mar 23, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. It's kind of hard to explain because it's about so many things. I would recommend this book to anyone in the 4th or 5th grade. A good read if you are looking for one!
Lisa Ford
Jul 09, 2008 Lisa Ford rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 3rd grade and up
Recommended to Lisa by: bluebonnet list
This is probably my favorite bluebonnet book so far! Two friends who both have had struggles in their life become friends, and one has to learn to be honest in that friendship. excellent!
♥Van'Nesia Scott Aka♥ J.K.`s Bitch♥
This Book Is So Great Now I Really Understand Never Judge A Book By Its Cover Because The Cover Of This Book May Look Boring But I Couldn't Have Been More Wrong
Elizabeth
Nov 23, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
fantastic book. in tall tales meg finally gets a friend but is worried about keeping her from Megs dad when he's drunk which is every day pretty much.
Mindy
Dec 13, 2008 Mindy rated it really liked it
Tall Tales is a really unusual story about a girl who spins tales, trying to make friends. Good story about friendship!!!
Emme
Mar 06, 2012 Emme is currently reading it
It touk me longenuf to find this book after reading ti a wiel back but now that i rilly have it i remember how good it is.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Gabriel's Horses
  • The Middle of Somewhere
  • Way Down Deep (Way Down Deep, #1)
  • The Cheat
  • Mr. Ape
  • The Black Tower (Herculeah Jones Mysteries, #7)
  • Not That I Care (Friendship Ring, #3)
  • The Thing about Georgie