Start by marking “Atomic Renaissance: Women Mystery Writers of the 1940s and 1950s” as Want to Read:
Atomic Renaissance: Women Mystery Writers of the 1940s and 1950s

Atomic Renaissance: Women Mystery Writers of the 1940s and 1950s

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  5 reviews
America in the 1950s was a place of Eisenhower, the Korean Conflict, McCarthy, and Sputnik. Women found themselves trapped into a mold of Donna Reed and June Cleaver, marginalized by the hyper-masculinity of the age. Mystery fiction had become a male bastion as well, promoting hardboiled private eye novels and spy fiction. It would be another three decades before groups to ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Delphi Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Atomic Renaissance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atomic Renaissance

Judy
Jeffrey Marks, an expert on the classic hard-boiled mystery novel, recounts the lives and works of seven female mystery writers. With the exception of Patricia Highsmith, I hadn't heard of any of them, let alone read their books. I enjoyed reading the stories of how these women managed to carve out a niche for themselves in a field so dominated by men.

I'm looking forward to reading the books these women wrote so long ago.
Thomas
If you like mysteries, consider this a guide book to ones written by women authors of the time period. There are clear and concise descriptions of styles as well as synopsis of several works by each author.

I read a wide variety of material, and this will help me decide which of the cited works would be of interest to me.

Thank you to Jeffrey Marks for such a clear work.
Victoria
I liked this interesting study of women mystery writers, who while we may not have heard of had a great impact on the mystery genre. As is mentioned a whole book could be written about any one of these writers. But he gives a good review of each of the writers, most of which I hadn't heard of. I can't wait to find some of these authors to read.

Lollyletsgo
Loved this! It was wonderful to get information on these women that - for some- so little is known. Bravo, Mr Marks, job well done!
Therese
Sep 22, 2012 Therese marked it as to-read
Shelves: history, nonfiction
$0.0
Sally Ember
Sally Ember marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Niatross
Niatross marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Adrianna
Adrianna marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Marjorie
Marjorie marked it as to-read
Steven Mccuan
Steven Mccuan marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Kristi
Kristi added it
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Kit
Kit marked it as to-read
E.
E. marked it as to-read
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Karina M.
Karina M. marked it as to-read
Umang
Umang marked it as to-read
SeaTreasure
SeaTreasure marked it as to-read
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Terri
Terri marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Scent Of Murder The Ambush of My Name Who Was That Lady?: Craig Rice: The Queen of Screwball Mystery Canine Crimes Canine Christmas