Start by marking “Atomic Renaissance: Women Mystery Writers of the 1940s and 1950s” as Want to Read:
Atomic Renaissance: Women Mystery Writers of the 1940s and 1950s

Atomic Renaissance: Women Mystery Writers of the 1940s and 1950s

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  15 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
America in the 1950s was a place of Eisenhower, the Korean Conflict, McCarthy, and Sputnik. Women found themselves trapped into a mold of Donna Reed and June Cleaver, marginalized by the hyper-masculinity of the age. Mystery fiction had become a male bastion as well, promoting hardboiled private eye novels and spy fiction. It would be another three decades before groups to ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Delphi Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Atomic Renaissance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Atomic Renaissance

Carla Remy
Jul 21, 2015 Carla Remy rated it liked it
The beginning was so cool. I love the idea of focussing on female mystery writers of post WWII America, writers who affected the genre as we know it and are mostly out of print. But then the book becomes biographical stuff and a LOT of synopses. And I do not enjoy reading About books. Even the chapter on Highsmith, by far the only one of the writers where I'd read much or most of her work, I was bored, I mean bored to read synopses of things I'd read before.
However, this is definitely a neat bo
Portia
Apr 13, 2016 Portia rated it liked it
i am a nerd. i know. i didn't read every word, but i would have. SUPER movie suggestions and further reading, of course! i know these will be hard to find...
Judy
May 03, 2012 Judy rated it really liked it
Jeffrey Marks, an expert on the classic hard-boiled mystery novel, recounts the lives and works of seven female mystery writers. With the exception of Patricia Highsmith, I hadn't heard of any of them, let alone read their books. I enjoyed reading the stories of how these women managed to carve out a niche for themselves in a field so dominated by men.

I'm looking forward to reading the books these women wrote so long ago.
Thomas
Apr 08, 2013 Thomas rated it liked it
If you like mysteries, consider this a guide book to ones written by women authors of the time period. There are clear and concise descriptions of styles as well as synopsis of several works by each author.

I read a wide variety of material, and this will help me decide which of the cited works would be of interest to me.

Thank you to Jeffrey Marks for such a clear work.
Victoria
May 04, 2013 Victoria rated it it was amazing
I liked this interesting study of women mystery writers, who while we may not have heard of had a great impact on the mystery genre. As is mentioned a whole book could be written about any one of these writers. But he gives a good review of each of the writers, most of which I hadn't heard of. I can't wait to find some of these authors to read.

Lollyletsgo
Feb 08, 2013 Lollyletsgo rated it it was amazing
Loved this! It was wonderful to get information on these women that - for some- so little is known. Bravo, Mr Marks, job well done!
Therese
Sep 22, 2012 Therese marked it as to-read
Shelves: non-fiction, history
$0.0
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Deborah Frazier
Deborah Frazier rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Gigi
Gigi marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
L Timmel
L Timmel rated it liked it
May 31, 2014
Catherine Medal
Catherine Medal rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2016
Sally Ember
Sally Ember marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Kristine Hansen
Kristine Hansen marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Niatross
Niatross marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Bobbi
Bobbi rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2013
Adrianna
Adrianna marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Bernard Cox
Bernard Cox rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Marjorie
Marjorie marked it as to-read
Steven Mccuan
Steven Mccuan marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Kristi
Kristi added it
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Kit
Kit marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »